McGee as trade bait

billsevans

Terrence McGee should have his days limited as a Bill. Once he got hurt he was getting burnt espcially noticed in Ted Ginn Jr.'s game against the Bills in Miami (7 catches 175 yards).

Ginn Jr. highlites against McGee

He hasn't played a full 16 game season since 2004. He could be valuable to a team that needs a good return guy. He still has posted decent numbers, but they are dropping.

Something must be in the water. Because there's no way McGee's not the best CB on this team right now. He may not lead the league in INT's or return kicks anymore, but he's a solid corner.

Go ahead and refer to the game at Miami where an injured McGee had issues covering Ted Ginn. That wasn't his fault, it was the .430 career winning percentage of a HC who didn't have the courage to play his top pick.

McGee will never be an All-Pro, but he's dependable. Considering the money, he's a good value as a CB.

I recall McGee struggling to learn the C2 back in 06 and the game against Detroit instantly comes to mind. But in those two years since, he hasn't been victimized in coverage, and is above average playing the run.

BTW, I love that term "trade bait." You can't expect to fetch any more than a 4th round pick in a trade, which means McGee is worth more than what you'll get in exchange for him.

Go ahead and refer to the game at Miami where an injured McGee had issues covering Ted Ginn. That wasn't his fault, it was the .430 career winning percentage of a HC who didn't have the courage to play his top pick.

Hey, its raining in CA today too...is that DJ's fault as well? I love how everytime one of our players blows a play on the field it is DJ's fault and not the player just blowing a play... lmao :censored:

Something must be in the water. Because there's no way McGee's not the best CB on this team right now. He may not lead the league in INT's or return kicks anymore, but he's a solid corner.

McGee will never be an All-Pro, but he's dependable. Considering the money, he's a good value as a CB.

I recall McGee struggling to learn the C2 back in 06 and the game against Detroit instantly comes to mind. But in those two years since, he hasn't been victimized in coverage, and is above average playing the run.

BTW, I love that term "trade bait." You can't expect to fetch any more than a 4th round pick in a trade, which means McGee is worth more than what you'll get in exchange for him.

I don't think that anyone other than a select few are doubting his play on the field. Those who bring up that example of the Miami game are being harsh and are your typical run of the mill fans who were angered of the outcome of the football game. The general consensus is that he is a very solid corner, and he is undoubtedly one of our better defensive players. The question is: If you value one year of solid service more than a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round draft choice? since we do have quality depth at that position, It is reasonable to consider trading him doesn't it?

If by “right now” you are allowing for the fact that Greer does not have a signed contract for next season, then I agree. Otherwise, you mustn’t watch McGee much to say that he doesn’t get victimized in coverage. He does. Routinely. Let the stats speak for themselves. Why does McGee get targeted in coverage 3 times as often as Jabari Greer? Don’t kid yourself, it’s not just because he lines up against the opponents No. 1 more often. Both Greer and McKelvin took their fair share of the snaps against other teams’ main target.

When you watch well-coached teams like New England, Miami, even the Jets, they go after McGee. Continuously. I say just go back to the Cleveland game from 2007. Derek Anderson threw 12 passes to Braylon Edwards when he lined up against McGee. In the same game, where Edwards was clearly dominating, only 3 passes (by my unofficial and truly unbiased count) were thrown to him when he was lined up against Greer.

Terrence McGee should have his days limited as a Bill. Once he got hurt he was getting burnt espcially noticed in Ted Ginn Jr.'s game against the Bills in Miami (7 catches 175 yards).

He hasn't played a full 16 game season since 2004. He could be valuable to a team that needs a good return guy. He still has posted decent numbers, but they are dropping.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Wow, a rhyming idiot.

He shouldn't have been playing in that game in the first place. How did Ginn do the 2nd game against a healthy McGee? I agree to try and trade McGee if an offer is right. But he is still a very good corner.

The basic issue here is that the Bills need to decide what they're going to do at the cornerback position not just in 2009, but in the future.

Assuming Leodis McKelvin has one spot locked up, the Bills need to choose their other starter between Greer and McGee. One's contract has expired, the other is up after this coming season. There's no way they should spend the money to retain both of them. There is the option of going with a journeyman signee or a mid-round pick (Youboty, Corner) but they both seem like longshots.

So of those of us that want to see Greer stick around, there comes the question of what to do with McGee: you can keep him and let him walk in '10, or decide to get what you can now while the getting is good. Given that I think the Bills aren't a strong nickel-corner away next year, I'd like to see them start looking at the 2010 season and pick up some value for their asset in McGee while re-signing Greer.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Plenty of posters fit nicely into that category, particularly lately. Offeseasonitis or something.

I think it's funny these armchair GM's just expect that putting McGee out there is an automatic trade waiting to happen. What they don't realize is if someone is available for trade, there must be a reason.

I could see McGee re-signed before or during the 09 season.

McGee fits the C2 better than Greer. The latter seems more suited to a man to man scheme.

Plenty of posters fit nicely into that category, particularly lately. Offeseasonitis or something.

I think it's funny these armchair GM's just expect that putting McGee out there is an automatic trade waiting to happen. What they don't realize is if someone is available for trade, there must be a reason.

I could see McGee re-signed before or during the 09 season.

McGee fits the C2 better than Greer. The latter seems more suited to a man to man scheme.

Hey now!! With the Armchair GM comments!!

I have mixed feelings on this issue. I like McGee because of what he brought to the table in the return game, but now we have McLovin and Roscoe Peeko Train, so there's no reel need to expose our #1 corner to ST anymore. Plus the fact that he was dependable and consistant....however, he's a slightly better than average corner at best, by no means is he a shut down type DB. Greer, on the other hand, though a bit undersized, has got a great nose for the ball, excellent closing and recovery speed, and isn't afraid to stick his nose in there in run D. With another year of experience, he's likely to become an elite corner. Even if he's more suited for M-2-M, he can learn and excel in a C2. The catch is re-signing Greer and not trading McGee will hit the cap and make FA that much more of a bargain shopping scenario, especially if/when Peter's is resigned. Letting Greer walk and extending McGee is the safe bet, and is more likely to happen because we probably won't get back what McGee is worth...this will be an interesting scenario to follow.

Hey now!! With the Armchair GM comments!!

I have mixed feelings on this issue. I like McGee because of what he brought to the table in the return game, but now we have McLovin and Roscoe Peeko Train, so there's no reel need to expose our #1 corner to ST anymore. Plus the fact that he was dependable and consistant....however, he's a slightly better than average corner at best, by no means is he a shut down type DB. Greer, on the other hand, though a bit undersized, has got a great nose for the ball, excellent closing and recovery speed, and isn't afraid to stick his nose in there in run D. Even id he's more suited for M-2-M, he can learn and excel in a C2. The catch is re-signing Greer and not trading McGee will hit the cap and make FA that much more of a bargain shopping scenario, especially if/when Peter's is resigned. Letting Greer walk and extending McGee is the safe bet, and is more likely to happen because we probably won't get back what McGee is worth...this will be an interesting scenario to follow.

The key is how McGee fits into this defense. He's not asked to be a shut-down 7 INT per season CB. Buffalo predominantly plays the C2 and CB's are responsible for their zone as well as being good against the run. McGee was banged up a little last year, but when the pass rush can't pressure the QB, the DB's are going to be hung out to dry.

As an example, people are raving about Maualuga and his ability to play the run. Unfortunately, his cover skills aren't consistent with playing MLB in a C2.

Greer entered the league at about 170 lbs. He's now listed at about 180, and durability will be an issue for him because he's maxed out his frame. I like his caliber of play, but if I had to choose, I'd take McGee.

The key is how McGee fits into this defense. He's not asked to be a shut-down 7 INT per season CB. Buffalo predominantly plays the C2 and CB's are responsible for their zone as well as being good against the run. McGee was banged up a little last year, but when the pass rush can't pressure the QB, the DB's are going to be hung out to dry.

As an example, people are raving about Maualuga and his ability to play the run. Unfortunately, his cover skills aren't consistent with playing MLB in a C2.

Greer entered the league at about 170 lbs. He's now listed at about 180, and "durability" will be an issue for him because he's maxed out his frame. I like his caliber of play, but if I had to choose, I'd take McGee.

A lot of people said the same thing about London Fletcher...This situation seems to be a win win in my eyes.

You could use him as bait, but you are not going to catch a very big fish with him. Who is going to give up a bonafide star for a Returner/DB who has clearly lost a step and as you stated, hasn't played a full season since 2004? I say it would be a better plan to keep him for depth, and maybe even when McKelvin takes over corner full time, use McGee on returns to give Leodis a breather.

People have drunk the Bills Koolaid. Take a very solid,consistent performer and get rid of him. That'll help the team:)<_<:)

Lets dump Jason peters for a #1 while we are at it...sheeeeieeeiish

trade him to the Browns for Kellen Winslow Jr.

If Kellen Winslow was unhappy in Cleveland what makes anyone think he would be happy here? Doesnt he strike you as the kind of guy who want to be in a big market so that he can get all of the attention he didnt get from mommie and daddy when he was a kid..........

Oh but HES A SOLDIER!!

If Kellen Winslow was unhappy in Cleveland what makes anyone think he would be happy here? Doesnt he strike you as the kind of guy who want to be in a big market so that he can get all of the attention he didnt get from mommie and daddy when he was a kid..........

Oh but HES A SOLDIER!!

I gotta agree with you.

There is no doubt in my mind that about after a year or so, he would be on everyone's SH#*T List here.

Buffalo and preMadonna's are not a good mix.