Browns are trying to trade Derek Anderson

bananathumb

A severe hit to our cap space AND a distracting quarterback controversy?!?!?! Where do we sign up?

I'm just messin, but seriously we can get plenty of backup quarterbacks as good as Anderson without having to pay nearly as much. He was a one hit wonder.

Ok, OP offers are absurd, I will give you that. But, D. Anderson is better than anything on the market IMO. Our pickings at QB are pretty poor. Our best prospects are in Det if they cut either Culpepper or Kitna, or even both. Outside of that, there isnt really anyone who can come in and PUSH Trent for the job. Trent needs competition, not just some journeyman backup, and D. Anderson brings that.

Trent has not shown anything that can make you say he is our indisputable QB of the future, so why not bring in someone for some competition. Sage, your posts show you actually think about the game, even if we don't agree on a topic your posts still are insightful and have logic behind your thoughts and reasoning on your stance...So, I would imagine even you would have to agree that Trent has not shown enough for anyone to say we are set at QB.

What if we packaged a deal for both D. Anderson and Winslow? Say a trade of McGee and maybe a mid round pick (assuming and only assuming we brought Greer back)...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if culpepper comes to buffalo, i'm never supporting the bills again.

LMAO...promises, promises...

I seem to remember people saying Warner was washed up too and would never find his form again. Daunte since his injury forced him out of Minny has played on 3 of the WORST, yes WORST teams in the NFL. Miami was terrible in his comeback year there, then he goes to a worse team and Oak, and just when you thought it couldnt get any worse, he winds up on the worst team in NFL history...Det.

I would like to see what he could do again with some talent around him. If Trent was half as productive as Daunte was in Minn he would be a perennial pro bowl player...Daunte had a devastating injury and since has been forced to play with terrible teams that had no talent. Lets see what he can do with some talent around him...why not, he would be cheap too...

Lets see what he can do with some talent around him...why not, he would be cheap too...

Talent ? If we have enough talent on this team, Edwards will hopefully be enough for us to win a few games.

Daunte's body and head look to be too scrambled for him to make any respectable NFL return. In fact, I would be seriously pi$$ed if we got him.

Talent ? If we have enough talent on this team, Edwards will hopefully be enough for us to win a few games.

Daunte's body and head look to be too scrambled for him to make any respectable NFL return. In fact, I would be seriously pi$$ed if we got him.

He's better than any other QB currently on the market with the only exception maybe being Garcia, but at least Daunte has upside as he has been pretty darn good at points in his career.

Now let me address your talent statement...the position on offense we have lacked the most production from and talent is QB...Trent has only passed for more than 1 TD in a game 4 times in his 24 games...he has more games with ZERO Td's than games with more than 1. He has never thrown for more than 300 yards, has only passed for more than a measly 200 yards 9 times in 24 games and severely regressed last year. When we were 4-0, he had 2 subpar games (Oak and St. Louis) where other players bailed us out on D and Trent posted a QB rating in both games of 81. The wins cover up his struggles through most of the game and he gets way more credit for those wins than is deserved.

All in all, he performed pretty weak in most games, and his so called great games would be considered average games at best for better QB's, not to mention they came against the worst pass D's in the league.

We have enough talent at WR and RB for this to be a productive and explosive offense...we have not had a QB that can lead it to that to this point...

THIS IS NOT SAYING TRENT WONT EVENTUALLY GET THERE, this is saying HE HASNT BEEN PLAYING ANY WHERE NEAR GOOD ENOUGH for us to be a productive and consistent offense in 2007 and 2008.

Put in a CAPABLE QB and we have a pretty good offense. Now, that capable QB may end up being Trent, but that is going to require a significant improvement from him this year for that to happen. I hope he does, but there is NO denying that he and JP's sporadic and subpar play has been the biggest contributor to sub .500 seasons and an average offense at best.

Whether you agree with it or not, the coaches seem pretty well sold on having Trent as the starting QB. So please do not get your hopes up expecting them to bring in someone from free agency that would pose a legitimate challenge to his role as the starter.

Rather, I expect them to bring in a serviceable veteran who may have some starting experience in the past and COULD start in a pinch should Trent get hurt. Someone like Charlie Batch, Chris Simms, or Ryan Fitzpatrick. They won't be entertaining anyone like Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia, Kerry Collins or even Byron Leftwich who will be looking for the chance to compete for the starting job. They certainly won't be trading for someone like Anderson.

Besides, I don't know that I like Anderson any better than Trent to tell you the truth. Now, if there is a possibility of acquiring a Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards or Joe Thomas ...

Besides, I don't know that I like Anderson any better than Trent to tell you the truth. Now, if there is a possibility of acquiring a Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards or Joe Thomas ...

You mean the Joe Thomas that made the pro bowl in his rookie year and followed it up with a sophmore season where he only gave up 2.5 sacks all year? Yeah, I am sure they are rushing to move him...

Braylon? The king of dropping meaningful easy passes and not having his head in the game consistently? No thanks...the cost to get him would be absurd and he isnt worth it...

Winslow...yes, bring him in...I think he could be had at a reasonable cost given the situation, and the reasonable cost offsets the risks involved with him (injuries, off the field stuff) given his immense talent.

Ok, OP offers are absurd, I will give you that. But, D. Anderson is better than anything on the market IMO. Our pickings at QB are pretty poor. Our best prospects are in Det if they cut either Culpepper or Kitna, or even both. Outside of that, there isnt really anyone who can come in and PUSH Trent for the job. Trent needs competition, not just some journeyman backup, and D. Anderson brings that.

Trent has not shown anything that can make you say he is our indisputable QB of the future, so why not bring in someone for some competition. Sage, your posts show you actually think about the game, even if we don't agree on a topic your posts still are insightful and have logic behind your thoughts and reasoning on your stance...So, I would imagine even you would have to agree that Trent has not shown enough for anyone to say we are set at QB.

What if we packaged a deal for both D. Anderson and Winslow? Say a trade of McGee and maybe a mid round pick (assuming and only assuming we brought Greer back)...

Yeah, I'd be game for anything involving us acquiring Winslow. Minor personality issues aside (really, all he ever did was say some stupid stuff in college) he might very well be the most talented TE in the game. Offensively speaking, he's one of those great WR/TE hybrids in the passing game and he can also block. As far as Anderson is concerned, he has shown promise but his 28 INTs in about 1.5 seasons as a starter is pretty scary. On top of that, his career completion percentage is just 54%. Right now, I'd put Trent a level above him.

And no, I'm not opposed to Trent having a little competition and Anderson could provide that. I'm definitely not 100% sold on Trent, but from what I've heard Jauron and the rest of the team are sold on him. That's really all that counts.

In summation, I'd rather see a veteran backup than Anderson, but if Winslow is involved we should sign on the dotted line ASAP.

Yeah, I'd be game for anything involving us acquiring Winslow. Minor personality issues aside (really, all he ever did was say some stupid stuff in college) he might very well be the most talented TE in the game. Offensively speaking, he's one of those great WR/TE hybrids in the passing game and he can also block. As far as Anderson is concerned, he has shown promise but his 28 INTs in about 1.5 seasons as a starter is pretty scary. On top of that, his career completion percentage is just 54%. Right now, I'd put Trent a level above him.

And no, I'm not opposed to Trent having a little competition and Anderson could provide that. I'm definitely not 100% sold on Trent, but from what I've heard Jauron and the rest of the team are sold on him. That's really all that counts.

In summation, I'd rather see a veteran backup than Anderson, but if Winslow is involved we should sign on the dotted line ASAP.

Yeah, D. Anderson has question marks too...I just dont see much else out there that could push him for a starting spot, and I think Trent needs that too. I wouldnt advocate a big trade to get him, but if we can package a deal with him and Winslow, I would say get er done asap.

What do you think of bringing in either Culpepper or Kitna? Det will cut one, if not both, for sure this offseason...I dont see many better options over either of those two, and both could actually push Trent for the job...

Derek Anderson is a legitamate starting QB candidate who could undeniably challenge Trent.

Challenge Trent? That's the standard?

So the solution to having a question mark at QB is to trade established talent and spend big money to bring in QB candidates who are even more questionable?? In case you missed the last season and a half, Anderson has been terrible and lost his job to a rookie.

:)

Let's not go beserk and give up Peters or Whitner, or any starters, but Derek Anderson is a legitamate starting QB candidate who could undeniably challenge Trent.

For those who are totally sold on Trent as the future savior, maybe some real competition is what he needs to jumpstart his career. Derek Anderson would be that competion.

For those, like me, who are not completely sold on Trent, I would love to see a big phylsical QB come in and get a shot. No, I am not sold on Anderson as a great QB, his completion percentage is kinda low and he does not have much mobility, but his arm is strong an he has had some success. He's also played in some nasty weather in Cleveland.

Go get him and let him and let him and Trent battle it out. Like other posters, I think Anderson's fat contract lowers his trade price dramatically -- I say a third round pick might do it.

You gotta get over the love affair with Trent. I like Trent and I believe he may still be the best option, but c'mon, with his durability issues and failure to produce in Buffalo weather, the Bills need to bring some real competition into camp and let the best man win. No more of this 7-9 nonsense, let's get going.

As a fan who follows the Bills and Browns, you can quote me on this "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" He is terrible, he is awful he stinks. He isn't worth a 7th round pick five years from now

I would not give up anything for him because I think he is a 1 hit wonder, who will never come close to duplicating the success he had in that magical year before scouts learned his flaws, which obviously must be myriad....

I would not give up anything for him because I think he is a 1 hit wonder, who will never come close to duplicating the success he had in that magical year before scouts learned his flaws, which obviously must be myriad....

I agree, & this is also my concern with Trent Edwards. It seemed as the year went on & teams got more film on him he played progressivly worse.

Yeah. I'd take Anderson. He's still young and has produced in one season at least, so it's possible that he can do it again in this league. He would be competition for Trent an Dick likes that. You can't give up too much for him though. I think a 5th is about right straight up. We could work out some kind of package deal though. As has been mentioned, he would have to redo his contract.

I also like the Culpepper idea. I'm sure that he didn't forget how to play (see Kurt Warner) and he was never that mobile to start with. He would definitely provide the veteran presence that Dick says he is looking for. He would need to come in with the right attitude though. That's my biggest concern.

Culpepper was made by Moss. Just like Cassel was, with help from Welker. Kitna is equally terrible, unless (like with Cassel) you focus on yards, and not things like TD:INT ratio, sacks taken, and fumbles.

Culpepper and Moss were made by Carter- who was the #1 WR on that Minnesota team.

Culpepper was made by Moss. Just like Cassel was, with help from Welker. Kitna is equally terrible, unless (like with Cassel) you focus on yards, and not things like TD:INT ratio, sacks taken, and fumbles.

Whats Trents TD:INT ratio, fumbles, and sacks taken? Let me save you some time looking it up...its not very good.

And that "year" wasn't even. Look at the game logs, he completely faded down the stretch after the hot start to 2007. I really don't understand how people who don't like Edwards think they will be happy with Anderson. Overall career stats look pretty similar to me and Edwards has at least moved in the right direction while Anderson has gotten worse. Maybe we ought to just stick with the guy whose already on the team, huh?