Are both Kelsay and Schoebel back?

freester

We have invested a huge amount of money already at DE. I don't see us using a first round pick or signing a high end free agent at the DE position, unless we release Kelsay or Schoebel. We certainly have enough other needs to address including C, TE, OLB. Believe it or not, there is a significant likelyhood that we do not address the DE position at all. We also used a 3rd on Ellis last year and Denney is solid.

We have invested a huge amount of money already at DE. I don't see us using a first round pick or signing a high end free agent at the DE position, unless we release Kelsay or Schoebel. We certainly have enough other needs to address including C, TE, OLB. Believe it or not, there is a significant likelyhood that we do not address the DE position at all. We also used a 3rd on Ellis last year and Denney is solid.

This is actually a very real possibility given the amount of money at this position. The team thinks highly of Kelsay and Denney, and like it or not they are solid...not great pass rushers, but solid in other aspects. So, I think it comes down to what they team expects to get from Schobel next year. If they feel he can be an effective rusher again, they may look to address other needs first.

My personal opinnion though is that they realize Schobel is coming off a bad injury and if he cant play at the level he was we will have no pass rush. So I think they bite the financial bullet and go ahead and take a top DE in the 11 spot if one is there...if there is a run on DE's in top 10 and there isnt one left they are high enough on to take #11 then I think they look to take one in round 2...

This is actually a very real possibility given the amount of money at this position. The team thinks highly of Kelsay and Denney, and like it or not they are solid...not great pass rushers, but solid in other aspects. So, I think it comes down to what they team expects to get from Schobel next year. If they feel he can be an effective rusher again, they may look to address other needs first.

My personal opinnion though is that they realize Schobel is coming off a bad injury and if he cant play at the level he was we will have no pass rush. So I think they bite the financial bullet and go ahead and take a top DE in the 11 spot if one is there...if there is a run on DE's in top 10 and there isnt one left they are high enough on to take #11 then I think they look to take one in round 2...

kelsay and denny should be cut asap, they stink and could be replaced with placers making half as much who are probably better

Buffalo took a DE in the third last year. Position has been hit by the injury bug the last two years. Not to mention performance of the unit (and individuals within it) has been lacking. Schobel is also getting age on him (in NFL terms). Bills need to upgrade the position.

Lack of a passrush was the biggest problem on the team last year. We have a good secondary. With a decent to good passrush, our defense will be very strong. Look at all of the teams that excell on defense, especially the Steelers. Where does it start? Up front with a strong pass rush. Schobel was not playing well at the time of his injury. He does not dominate games in the slightest. There is no guarantee he will ever regain any type of burst with the severe foot injury he suffered. Kelsay is a terrible pass rusher. Denny is a marginal reserve, and Ellis has showed nothing. Why the hell would we not address the DE position? We are almost 30 million dollars under the cap without even cutting several pieces of dead weight including McCargo, and Robert Royal. Not addressing our D line is totally irresponsible and would show that our management hasn't a clue as to how to build a dominating team.

I highly doubt that either of them is going anywhere. Actually, if Schobel regains the form he showed prior to last year, then it is hard to argue that he is actually overpaid. Kelsay is certainly a different matter. However, he appears to be so popular with his teammates and the coaching staff that I don't foresee him being let go either. I said in another thread that I believe that Kelsay will wind up being Sanders' pet project. We can dream about the growth that Kampman exhibited under Sanders, can't we?