One NFL Man's Opinion on Ralph

thebandit27

Further down in the 10 things he thinks about thinking:

2. I think, with no games this weekend, that I'll have Phil Savage, the former Browns' general manager who scouted all the practices at the Senior Bowl in Mobile last week, check in with his thoughts on the movers and shakers among the prospects there:

b. "Alex Mack, the center from Cal, distanced himself from the pack at his position. He probably got himself into late in the first round.''

c. "Brian Cushing and Rey Maualuga get the attention as USC linebackers, and they're good. But Clay Matthews Jr. weighed in three pounds heavier than Cushing and showed he can play inside or outside linebacker. He went from being a mid-round guy in the fall to late in the first or the second round. He was a 175-pound kid in high school. He's 246 and instinctive, just like his dad.'' (Clay Matthews Sr. played 19 NFL seasons in Cleveland and Atlanta, and his 278 games played are third-most in history.)

d. "Cushing looks like a pro, an outside 'backer, kind of like a Kevin Greene.''

f. "Rey Maualuga is a first- and second-down run defender. Not sure if he's going to be a great third-down player.''

i. "The best three players I saw, maybe, were Cushing, Oher and Brandon Pettigrew, a tight end from Oklahoma State who is probably the most complete tight end in the country. Very impressed with him. He could go at the bottom of the first round.''

4. I think, speaking of the Saints, I don't like the naming of Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator. I love it. He'll bring toughness and an accountability I didn't see with the New Orleans D last year.

If Ralph doesn't get in while he's alive, he'll probably never get in. His ultimate legacy - that of some sort of champion for the small market NFL franchises - will be seriously tarnished when the Bills relocate to L.A. or Toronto following his death. His ownership longevity, his early work in the AFL, and his dumb luck with Polian are the only things he has going for him....which I suspect are not nearly as persuasive as a Lombardi trophy (see: Davis, Al).

I happen to respect the opinion of Mr. King tremendously. Note that this is his opinion on Ralph, not necessarily mine.

It's about half-way down the page...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...5/walkup/3.html

"The longer Reed waits, the more unlikely his election becomes, because receivers keep passing him. I think the selectors view Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas as the Hall-of-Famers from that era"

I think Bill Parcells would wholeheartedly disagree. He considered Reed the biggest threat on the 90 team.

I think Andre's hissy-fits might keep him out but there is no question he is a hall-of famer. Art Monk can't tie his shoes.

I wonder if people realize Larry Fitzgerald's game reminds us of Andre Reed.

I think Bill Parcells would wholeheartedly disagree. He considered Reed the biggest threat on the 90 team.

Then Parcell's was wrong. Thurman Thomas averaged close to 8ypc in that game and had he gotten 10 more carries we probably win that game.

I wonder if people realize Larry Fitzgerald's game reminds us of Andre Reed.

I loved watching Reed play but I don't think Reed was anywhere near as talented or fast as Fitzgerald. Where Reed excelled was in his YAC numbers. Keep in mind that up until 4 weeks ago Arizona didn't have a running game and Fitzgerald was still putting up crazy numbers.

His analysis of the candidtaes is pretty spot on. Even with his past good deeds, I think Ralph recently has ruffled feathers with his crying poor all the time.

Reed will probably never get in. We needed a Super Bowl win with a great "Lynn Swan type performance" for him to get in. Reed never made a huge impact in the Super Bowl and the one time he would have had a signature play- in the 1st Super Bowl game, he dropped a crucial 3rd and 3 pass over the midddle (after we get the kick with the safetly) that would have gone huge and helped put the game away.

Then Parcell's was wrong. Thurman Thomas averaged close to 8ypc in that game and had he gotten 10 more carries we probably win that game.

I loved watching Reed play but I don't think Reed was anywhere near as talented or fast as Fitzgerald. Where Reed excelled was in his YAC numbers. Keep in mind that up until 4 weeks ago Arizona didn't have a running game and Fitzgerald was still putting up crazy numbers.

How can Parcells be wrong--that was his strategy and he won! Thurman was facing a two and three man front because Parcells dropped eight and nine in coverage. I heard Parcells say the best way to win was to take Reed out of the game. They did. Kelly was recently interviewed on CBS and regretted not running the ball more.

The Cards throw 70% of the time...of course his numbers are crazy. They are more pass-happy. The Bills were a run team first--they were top five rushing during their years. I would submit Fitz is a slightly better talent. Don't forget Reed was the #2 rated receiver between 1989-1992 behind Jerry Rice. I would even say in 1989 Reed was the best. That should put him in the Hall.

Art Monk got in. Reed better get in. Reed did more than 10 yard curls. Art Monk was never the best receiver on his team in any year.

His analysis of the candidtaes is pretty spot on. Even with his past good deeds, I think Ralph recently has ruffled feathers with his crying poor all the time.

Reed will probably never get in. We needed a Super Bowl win with a great "Lynn Swan type performance" for him to get in. Reed never made a huge impact in the Super Bowl and the one time he would have had a signature play- in the 1st Super Bowl game, he dropped a crucial 3rd and 3 pass over the midddle (after we get the kick with the safetly) that would have gone huge and helped put the game away.

You bet he has. Fortunately, the owners don't vote on the Hall of Fame. However, I've heard speculation that--because he and Al Davis are considered the last of the old regime of NFL owners--Ralph will have a great deal of difficulty getting enshrined in Canton because his league-philanthropy of days-gone-by is largely lost on the current group of voters.

My personal opinion regarding Ralph is that anyone that single-handedly saved an NFL franchise (that did not belong to him) and was, by all accounts, Lamar Hunt's biggest assistant in pioneering the AFL-NFL merger deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. I know it wouldn't be largely popular on a league-wide scale, but I believe it is appropriate for his contributions to the game.

Actually, none of these guys have come out and said how Ralph was right about the new CBA when he did not vote for it. The other owners in just 2 years were able to see what a bad deal they got into. I wish these Hall of Fame voters recognize that and give credit to Wilson.

Reed is looking more and more doubtful. Next year Jerry Rice will be eligible...This make it just too hard on Reed.

If Andre Reed doesnt get in eventually the hall of fame is a crock. How many receivers are in the hall of fame right now? Andre Reed is in the top 5 in career receptions and in the top 10 in both touchdowns and in yards. How many receivers already in the hall dont have those numbers. Andre lived over the middle and took plenty of big shots. 13 seasons with over 50 receptions. Andre Reed MORE than deserves to be in the hall.