What to do with our CB's...maybe look to trade?

Alphadawg7

Seems to me we have a pretty good young core of CB's and are pretty deep when all are back healthy (assuming we sign Greer back). So should we consider moving one via trade?

McGee - Pretty good corner

Greer - developed into one of our best, maybe even our best, cover corner

Leodis - showed tons of promise and really developed throughout the year

Youboty - played really well and started living up to his potential before injury

R. Corner - showed promise and started to develop the last part of the year

We may very well have 4 starting caliber corners on this squad (Youboty is still somewhat unproven only because he didnt really develop until this year and then got hurt) with another young CB developing in R. Corner.

So, given our depth, would it make sense to try and trade someone like McGee or even a sign and trade with Greer to try and pick up a TE or first day draft picks?

For instance...given Cle needs help at DB, maybe we could pry disgruntled Winslow from them...

If you were to try and make a trade, who do you look to move and for what in return?

Seems to me we have a pretty good young core of CB's and are pretty deep when all are back healthy (assuming we sign Greer back). So should we consider moving one via trade?

Youboty - played really well and started living up to his potential before injury

We may very well have 4 starting caliber corners on this squad (Youboty is still somewhat unproven only because he didnt really develop until this year and then got hurt) with another young CB developing in R. Corner.

So, given our depth, would it make sense to try and trade someone like McGee or even a sign and trade with Greer to try and pick up a TE or first day draft picks?

For instance...given Cle needs help at DB, maybe we could pry disgruntled Winslow from them...

If you were to try and make a trade, who do you look to move and for what in return?

As much as I love Mcgee, which I think he is an absolute Gem, I would say he would be the most logical choice to trade. He would have the most trade value because of his good coverage and return skills. The good thing is we have Leodis who seems to be as a good of a return man as Mcgee so in that area he is more expendible. I do believe that the cost of resigning Mcgee will probably well exceed that of Greer; And I do agree with Alpha about Youbouty and Corner and if we could resign Greer for something south of $6Million a year that would be a major plus, hopefully no one will offer him crazy cash but this is the NFL so...

As much as I love Mcgee, which I think he is an absolute Gem, I would say he would be the most logical choice to trade. He would have the most trade value because of his good coverage and return skills. The good thing is we have Leodis who seems to be as a good of a return man as Mcgee so in that area he is more expendible. I do believe that the cost of resigning Mcgee will probably well exceed that of Greer; And I do agree with Alpha about Youbouty and Corner and if we could resign Greer for something south of $6Million a year that would be a major plus, hopefully no one will offer him crazy cash but this is the NFL so...

Pretty much my thinking too. I love McGee, but given Roscoe and Leodis in the return game, that makes him expendable there. McGee is more explosive than Greer, but I think Greer has become a pretty good coverage guy too and one could argue who is better in coverage, him or McGee. With Leodis really developing and depth behind them in Youboty and Corner, trading McGee would be a blow we could handle and it would net us the most in return. You bring up a good point to about the resigning McGee being more than Greer...so we save money there too.

What do you think McGee's trade value would be? I could see us possibly getting a 1st for him...

McGee could definatley be the bait to pry Kellen Winslow from the Browns. They desperatly need c starting CB, We need a TE. From a cost standpoint, his salary could free up enough to pay Winslow and help pay for a big name DE.

Yeah, I doubt the Browns could do better in a trade than landing a top player like McGee at a position they sorely need help in. Given how bad that relationship has been strained there I wouldnt be surprise if we could get him for Greer. Maybe trade them Greer and one of our TE's or a 2nd day draft pick...

Yeah, I doubt the Browns could do better in a trade than landing a top player like McGee at a position they sorely need help in. Given how bad that relationship has been strained there I wouldnt be surprise if we could get him for Greer. Maybe trade them Greer and one of our TE's or a 2nd day draft pick...

probably a second. I think the Winslow for Mcgee trade could be doable, makes sense to me.

They may as well hang onto all of them. You never know what next season will bring.

4 victories to open the season against opponents crippled in this or that way, 0 - 6 in the division, and 2 wins against teams with better than average QBs - Cutler with DEN, Rivers with SD.

In the glorious 2 - 8 finish, they were rushed against for 52, 96, 144, 166, 159, 62, 115, 165, 181, 169.

The 'ole "why bother to pass against them?" makes a defensive backfield look like a bunch of pass defense champs.

I see few Bills' games, but I'm thinking this young core of cornerbacks covering the short field when they were in their C2 thing weren't exactly flexing their muscles against the run...

They may as well hang onto all of them. You never know what next season will bring.

4 victories to open the season against opponents crippled in this or that way, 0 - 6 in the division, and 2 wins against teams with better than average QBs - Cutler with DEN, Rivers with SD.

In the glorious 2 -8 finish, they were rushed against for 52, 96, 144, 166, 159, 62, 115, 165, 181, 169.

The 'ole "why bother to pass against them?" makes a defensive backfield look like a bunch of pass defense champs.

I see few Bills' games, but I'm thinking this young core of cornerbacks covering the short field when they were in their C2 thing weren't exactly flexing their muscles against the run...

During the 5-1 start though we didnt allow a 100 yard rusher despite facing some better rushing teams. The difference was we had the threat of a pass rush before Schobel went down and teams couldnt key on Stroud so much. Once we lost the threat of the rush, they just doubled and keyed on Stroud. During that when we were stopping the run and near the top run D in the league over that span, Greer and Youboty were playing great really good...

Funniest post of the new year! Anyone think Jauron would part with a single DB? No way, he'll probably draft a couple more this April.

Keep McGee get a TE in FA or draft......

PLEASE STOP TRYING TO TRADE AWAY OUR BEST TALENT ON DEFENSE.

Before you know it, we will have huge holes at CB cause we traded all of them away.

I understand what you are saying and I am a big believer of keeping talent. But the problem is that Mcgee will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of next year, and you got to believe that he will be commanding a very high price tag that we won't be able to match. So instead of losing him for nothing and just keeping him around for a year, we could get something back in exchange. And since it seems as if we have some quality depth at DB it does seem like a good alternative if we were to retain Greer.

Sign Greer and shop around all of them. You can get a good idea of value and maybe find something you like in the process. This is good business and Alphadog has the right idea. Nobody is saying get rid of Mcgee for nothing and whats the worst case scenario we got Greer and Mcgee next year. Terrence is a nice player but in order to gain something you need to give something and he is our best expendable value. If our FO had the ability to think ahead we might have gotten something for any of the players that have walked for nothing in the past.

I understand what you are saying and I am a big believer of keeping talent. But the problem is that Mcgee will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of next year, and you got to believe that he will be commanding a very high price tag that we won't be able to match. So instead of losing him for nothing and just keeping him around for a year, we could get something back in exchange. And since it seems as if we have some quality depth at DB it does seem like a good alternative if we were to retain Greer.

Exactly. You arent seeing the big picture, maurauder

I swear some fans just always want to be rebuilding and coaching up draft picks. Why trade any of them? They all have experience in the NFL. They all appear to be good corners.

I still don't understand how people think Greer is better than Mcgee. Besides the Dolphins game Mcgee had a great year. He doesn't have alot of INT's but you can attribute that to crappy defensive scheme and Mcgee's cover ability. People just don't throw to the WR's he is covering because they can't.

Greer is gone in FA. He is going to receive a ton of money in the offseason. Money the Bills should be spending someplace else. The Bills have great depth at CB. That leaves the Bills with 4 corners if they resign Youbouty which i think they should. Draft one in in the later rounds and move on. Time to Adopt the Steeler way. I work with a Steeler fan and he's been a fan for 35 years. He said of those 35 years the Steelers have been in the playoffs 27 times. That is amazing. The Steelers make the playoffs each year because they draft well. They always have depth and when players are bout to cash in they let them go. The next guy comes in and eventually makes their defense better.

Before you know it, we will have huge holes at CB cause we traded all of them away.

What other "talent" on Defense has been suggested to be traded?

If we KEEP Greer, we WONT keep McGee next year... Do you think we will pay to retain McGee after paying Greer this year and having Leodis on the roster? You cant actually see us doing that do you?

So, either we LOSE Greer this year and HOPE to sign McGee next year or we keep Greer this year and say BYE to McGee next year because no way we pay both of them unless something goes wrong with Leodis...

Either way, we lose good CB's for nothing...see Clements and Winfield for further proof...

Talent? The bills have two players who shouldn't be on the trading block Leodis and Lynch. Edwards is also debatable. Other than that they should make everyone available if the price is right. I look around the league and most rosters have a handful of studs or playmakers. Maybe I'm being negative but we have alot of average to good players and sorely lack the special ones.

Talent? The bills have two players who shouldn't be on the trading block Leodis and Lynch. Edwards is also debatable. Other than that they should make everyone available if the price is right. I look around the league and most rosters have a handful of studs or playmakers. Maybe I'm being negative but we have alot of average to good players and sorely lack the special ones.

At this point there isnt a player on the team that I would label exempt from a trade should the right opportunity present itself.

RBs a easy to come by

We could trade Leodis and still have a shot at Vontae Davis or Jenkins.

Trade trent, why not/ he isnt a Ryan,Flacco or Big Ben so why not?

The problem sits with the owner of the Buffalo Bills, Ralph Wilson. This game of let him walk cause we dont want to pay for the players services is getting old like our owner. This is not directed at you in general, but the attitude of let him walk cause in another year he will cost too much is killing the Buffalo Bills. Imagine where the defense would be if we kept Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield, London Fletcher, & even Nate Clements for that matter or even Spikes. The Buffalo Bills have had the finances to keep these guys, but no the players knew the organization wouldnt pay them so they left for better opportunities elsewhere. All Ralph Wilson had to do is give them respectable contracts and they would have stayed. But no, the front office instead chooses the "let them go routine cause we cant afford them when we have 27 plus million in FREE cap space". And you say we have decent depth behind McGee, well I agree with that, however, letting McGee go creates less Depth then we have now. Yeah McKelvin & Corner & even Youboty showed some skills, but when it comes down to it, the logical and smart thing to do is keep your best talent, not let them walk cause they will cost money. I mean HELLO....talent costs money, you only win games when you have the talent to do so.

Im not trying to be a negative nancy here and nor do I know the in's and out's of football. But I do know, that when you have talent on the team, you dont find ways to get rid of them cause they will cost money, you find ways to keep the talent despite them costing money. This has been the loser mentality of this franchise the past decade and you seen first hand what it got us....10 years of NOT making the playoffs. I get so sick of people thinking of ways to trade our best impact players cause they will cost money. This attitude has to go, but with the current owner of the Bills, Ralph Wilson this is the attitude the fans and the organization will have.

But when it boils down to it, you dont find ways to trade away talent cause you are affraid to lose them, you need to find ways to keep that talent that makes your team good. And with the cap space we have, these players can be kept, and we also have the ability to add some players to make the team good.

You would be really surprised how much our defensive players would shine if our DL was good. Look at the Giants from last year, they didnt have big name players in the secondary, but up front they were nasty and the guys behind them played really well. McGee, Greer are 2 guys you cant let walk......

And dont get me wrong, im not saying we have superior talent like other teams, but we certainly have talent to be good in this league. McGee & Greer are both really good CB's. With the lack of a defensive pass rush you have to admit both guys played really well. Now, insert a pass rush on this team, both guys become lock down CB's. They are only good as the guys in front of them.....I will say that on DL, we lack talent all the way across with Stroud being the only decent player on that DL. But I do think fixing the DL only helps the guys behind them. I think we see different players with Poz, Mitchell, Whitner.......with a really good DL.

Greer has earned, and will get, top 10 corner $ on the open market. I personally would "transition tag" him, so we get SOMETHING when some other team inevitably signs him. He is a very solid cover corner, young, and a good tackler. I'd hate to lose him, but I'm sure the penny-wise and pound-foolish Bills will let him walk. As for all of our "depth", one injury, or God forbid 2, and we're screwed. Keep your good players.....

During the 5-1 start though we didnt allow a 100 yard rusher despite facing some better rushing teams. The difference was we had the threat of a pass rush before Schobel went down and teams couldnt key on Stroud so much. Once we lost the threat of the rush, they just doubled and keyed on Stroud. During that when we were stopping the run and near the top run D in the league over that span, Greer and Youboty were playing great really good...

Visiting SEA was saddled with a bad-back Hasselbeck. 1-0.

JAX was down 3 starting OLs as the Bills scored a 4 point victory. 2-0.

FG with time expiring to beat visiting OAK. 3-0.

Comeback win in the 4th against a STL club in turmoil. I think their HC was canned the next week. 4-0.

Got obliterated by AZ. 4-1.

Beat visitor SD. Good win. 5-1.

Then it got ugly.

The problem sits with the owner of the Buffalo Bills, Ralph Wilson. This game of let him walk cause we dont want to pay for the players services is getting old like our owner. This is not directed at you in general, but the attitude of let him walk cause in another year he will cost too much is killing the Buffalo Bills. Imagine where the defense would be if we kept Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield, London Fletcher, & even Nate Clements for that matter or even Spikes. The Buffalo Bills have had the finances to keep these guys, but no the players knew the organization wouldnt pay them so they left for better opportunities elsewhere. All Ralph Wilson had to do is give them respectable contracts and they would have stayed. But no, the front office instead chooses the "let them go routine cause we cant afford them when we have 27 plus million in FREE cap space". And you say we have decent depth behind McGee, well I agree with that, however, letting McGee go creates less Depth then we have now. Yeah McKelvin & Corner & even Youboty showed some skills, but when it comes down to it, the logical and smart thing to do is keep your best talent, not let them walk cause they will cost money. I mean HELLO....talent costs money, you only win games when you have the talent to do so.

Im not trying to be a negative nancy here and nor do I know the in's and out's of football. But I do know, that when you have talent on the team, you dont find ways to get rid of them cause they will cost money, you find ways to keep the talent despite them costing money. This has been the loser mentality of this franchise the past decade and you seen first hand what it got us....10 years of NOT making the playoffs. I get so sick of people thinking of ways to trade our best impact players cause they will cost money. This attitude has to go, but with the current owner of the Bills, Ralph Wilson this is the attitude the fans and the organization will have.

But when it boils down to it, you dont find ways to trade away talent cause you are affraid to lose them, you need to find ways to keep that talent that makes your team good. And with the cap space we have, these players can be kept, and we also have the ability to add some players to make the team good.

nope, still not convinced. McGee for winslow, straight up all friggin day long. Greer and Mckelvin, Ashton in the slot, Reggie the 4th. Sounds good to me. Why? cuz Kellen Winslow score a frick of a lot more points than McGee ever will.

At this point there isnt a player on the team that I would label exempt from a trade should the right opportunity present itself.

RBs a easy to come by

I gotta disagree with you about Trent,

I think he will is a better quarterback than Flacco. I really havn't see what the big fuss is about Flacco. yes he does have a cannon for an arm, and he is able to make some throws that most other quarterbacks are not able to, but I believe that Trent has very good vision, and I'm hopeful and optimistic that he will prove all the Trent Naysayers wrong this upcoming year.

I don't believe in trading away talent as well except in a few occasions, and the Mcgee one does seem to make sense.

Greer has earned, and will get, top 10 corner $ on the open market. I personally would "transition tag" him, so we get SOMETHING when some other team inevitably signs him. He is a very solid cover corner, young, and a good tackler. I'd hate to lose him, but I'm sure the penny-wise and pound-foolish Bills will let him walk. As for all of our "depth", one injury, or God forbid 2, and we're screwed. Keep your good players.....
Top ten huh? there goes your credibility. buh-bye credibility.

nope, still not convinced. McGee for winslow, straight up all friggin day long. Greer and Mckelvin, Ashton in the slot, Reggie the 4th. Sounds good to me. Why? cuz Kellen Winslow score a frick of a lot more points than McGee ever will.

Hey man you have every right to think whatever you please about the Bills. I respect it. But trading away McGee opens another hole or shall i say Depth issues on the defense. Not saying im against Winslow, Id love to have him. I think he can be had without trading away some players.....The one thing I will say though, McGee will see more of the playing field than the injury prone Winslow.

RBs a easy to come by

I see your point but Lynch and Leodis are too young and have shown the signs of possible greatness. A proposal for them would have to be huge and unlikely. I am not sold on Trent Edwards either but you don't get rid of quarterbacks with potential IMO. Joe Flacco doesn't exactly stand out as a worldbeater to me either. If I had it my way we would draft a quarterback every year somewhere middle to late.

Top ten huh? there goes your credibility. buh-bye credibility.

Actually, him getting top 10 money isnt all that absurd. Doesnt mean he is top 10 corner, but corners get big bucks in FA and that number goes up every year.

Nate Clements wasnt even CLOSE to worth what he got from San Francisco when they made him the highest paid defensive player of ALL time.

The problem sits with the owner of the Buffalo Bills, Ralph Wilson. This game of let him walk cause we dont want to pay for the players services is getting old like our owner. This is not directed at you in general, but the attitude of let him walk cause in another year he will cost too much is killing the Buffalo Bills. Imagine where the defense would be if we kept Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield, London Fletcher, & even Nate Clements for that matter or even Spikes. The Buffalo Bills have had the finances to keep these guys, but no the players knew the organization wouldnt pay them so they left for better opportunities elsewhere. All Ralph Wilson had to do is give them respectable contracts and they would have stayed.

This isnt close to being true. You think Clements was going to turn down the HIGHEST paid contract in NFL history for a defensive player to stay in Buffalo for a reasonable one? Man, some fans think to retain players it all falls on the FO. Its not that simple when other teams are willing to OVER pay for a player. We are a MUCH better team for NOT paying Clements what he was demanding as that would have been a hugh finanicial mistake, especially since hes not worth to even close what he got.

Winfield I wish we could have kept, but again, another over the top (at the time) contract lured him away. Buffalo did make offers to these players, most good offers, but other teams OVER paid and they took the money. I mean it wasnt like we were one step away from Super Bowl, so why would they choose us over some team willing to over pay for their services? Not to mention, when we lost Winfield we had Clements developing into a real good corner which furthered the reasoning of not over paying for a guy who at the time he got the contract from Minn was known more for his tackling than his cover skills or big play skills.

Fletcher was let go because he didnt have the speed and explosiveness to make up for the short comings of our defense. They wanted to get younger and faster at LB and most his tackles happened downfield. It wasnt about money...(for the record, I wish we kept him though).

The biggest blunder we made was letting go of Pat Williams. This had more to do with a change in philosophy then money in my opinnion and I see it as a mistake.

Come on now...Spikes? Do you follow this team? Spikes was traded because when he returned from his devastating injury he failed to regain his old form and looked like he was about done...and they were right...

This isnt close to being true. You think Clements was going to turn down the HIGHEST paid contract in NFL history for a defensive player to stay in Buffalo for a reasonable one? Man, some fans think to retain players it all falls on the FO. Its not that simple when other teams are willing to OVER pay for a player. We are a MUCH better team for NOT paying Clements what he was demanding as that would have been a hugh finanicial mistake, especially since hes not worth to even close what he got.

Winfield I wish we could have kept, but again, another over the top (at the time) contract lured him away. Buffalo did make offers to these players, most good offers, but other teams OVER paid and they took the money. I mean it wasnt like we were one step away from Super Bowl, so why would they choose us over some team willing to over pay for their services? Not to mention, when we lost Winfield we had Clements developing into a real good corner which furthered the reasoning of not over paying for a guy who at the time he got the contract from Minn was known more for his tackling than his cover skills or big play skills.

Fletcher was let go because he didnt have the speed and explosiveness to make up for the short comings of our defense. They wanted to get younger and faster at LB and most his tackles happened downfield. It wasnt about money...(for the record, I wish we kept him though).

The biggest blunder we made was letting go of Pat Williams. This had more to do with a change in philosophy then money in my opinnion and I see it as a mistake.

Come on now...Spikes? Do you follow this team? Spikes was traded because when he returned from his devastating injury he failed to regain his old form and looked like he was about done...and they were right...

Before I put a reply. Nice post, you pointed some things out to me I didnt see before. The Nate Clemets thing, you are correct....I totally looked over the fact that he was offered that much from San Fran, went right over my head. And I do agree with that. Im on the same boat as you with the Winfield thing, I would have loved to keep that guy. As for Fletcher and the speed and explosiveness, I look at our LB's and they didnt show any of that speed or explosiveness. I think Fletcher would have played well with the team.

As for Spikes, I only brought him up cause of the leadership skills he had, the motivational stuff he brings with his name. Id have no issues having Spikes behind Poz, Mitchell & Fletcher.....Spikes for depth is better then Ellison & Digorgio.

I think we both can see some major issues with this team. I think we both can agree that keeping some key players that are with the team is a must! And one thing is for sure, neither one of us can change what happens with this team......

Before I put a reply. Nice post, you pointed some things out to me I didnt see before. The Nate Clemets thing, you are correct....I totally looked over the fact that he was offered that much from San Fran, went right over my head. And I do agree with that. Im on the same boat as you with the Winfield thing, I would have loved to keep that guy. As for Fletcher and the speed and explosiveness, I look at our LB's and they didnt show any of that speed or explosiveness. I think Fletcher would have played well with the team.

As for Spikes, I only brought him up cause of the leadership skills he had, the motivational stuff he brings with his name. Id have no issues having Spikes behind Poz, Mitchell & Fletcher.....Spikes for depth is better then Ellison & Digorgio.

I think we both can see some major issues with this team. I think we both can agree that keeping some key players that are with the team is a must! And one thing is for sure, neither one of us can change what happens with this team......

Agreed...like I said, I would have prefered to keep Fletcher, at least until we had a better option. I wanted to keep Winfield too, but given the contract offer he got and the fact he was known more for his tackling than his big plays in coverage, I was ok with him leaving since we had Clement really coming into his own at the time.

But I dont want to lose Greer or McGee for nothing...just dont see us keeping both. So, I say lets get something for one of them since we have Leodis ready to move up and start and we would be good with Youboty and Corner backing them up. Pick up another young corner in draft of FA too...

I think we could sign greer for a decent penny and get a nice trade for Mcgee. We aren't winning the superbowl next year and chances are he walks for big money after the season. Let him go to an out of division contender for a year and then he can have his payday. I would prefer draft picks than Winslow and I think it would be an easier trade to make. The Jared Allen deal comes to mind and I think both clubs will benefit from it. We won't miss Mcgee as much as they missed Allen but we won't get as much in return either.