Lost Season 5 Official Thread!

extrahammer

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest question from tonight's episode is: why was Sun not transported off the plane? I have no theories.....yet.

Remember that Christian told John that Sun had to come back too. Clearly he has plans for her that are separate what is planned for the others from the plane. And isn't it interesting that her appearance before Christian was essentially facilitated by Ben.

The empty barracks are the same barrack that the Dharma initiative occupyied in 1977. the dock was the sub dock. Sun and the others that crashed on the plane did not flash, only Jack, Hurley, Sayid, and Kate flashed. So they are in 1977, while the rest are in current time. Maybe they flashed to prevent Ben from destroying the Dharma initiative, hence "saving the island." Or Christian could possibly guide Sun on how to get to 1977? That would be "quite a journey." But also Ben will be involved as well, my guess is to make sure nothing changes. Lot's of possibilities...

They flashed too, just to a different time. Watch it again, while the plane begins to shake and the bright light occurs it's night time, after the flash Lapidus looks up and it's all of the sudden daytime. Even the co-pilot says WTF when he sees it's now the middle of the day. I'm thinking they flashed to a few years after the war between DI and the Others.

They flashed too, just to a different time. Watch it again, while the plane begins to shake and the bright light occurs it's night time, after the flash Lapidus looks up and it's all of the sudden daytime. Even the co-pilot says WTF when he sees it's now the middle of the day. I'm thinking they flashed to a few years after the war between DI and the Others.

Possibly, I guess I should have said the people on the plane are in a different time than "Lafluer" and gang...

I think the biggest question from tonight's episode is: why was Sun not transported off the plane? I have no theories.....yet.

Remember that Christian told John that Sun had to come back too. Clearly he has plans for her that are separate what is planned for the others from the plane. And isn't it interesting that her appearance before Christian was essentially facilitated by Ben.

I think that Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sawyer and Juliet (and Miles and Faraday) were sent back to 1977 in the "original" time line and that is how old Ben knew who they were. I think that Jin and Sun are new wild cards in this. I think that in the original time line, Jin did not get sent back in time. That was why Ben looked so surprised when Locke told him that he was still alive and jumping through time with the others. These may be the beginnings of the changes in the future that they must try to influence.

I think Sun did not jump back in time because she didn't jump in the orginal timeline because Jin wasn't there.

my head hurts

couple of talking points from last nights episode that ive seen people discussing:

- While landing the plane on the Island, the recording of the Numbers plays over the radio. However, that message was replaced by Rousseau's, which was taken down by Jack, so how were they still playing? Might be a clue as to WHEN the plane crash people are.

-The runway Ajira 316 landed on was the same one the Others forced Kate and Sawyer to help build back in season 3. Juliet jokingly said it was for the aliens, but now it's starting to make sense. Perhaps in some weird time loop, Ben ordered the construction because he knew that he would be on the plane that would crash.

couple of talking points from last nights episode that ive seen people discussing:

- While landing the plane on the Island, the recording of the Numbers plays over the radio. However, that message was replaced by Rousseau's, which was taken down by Jack, so how were they still playing? Might be a clue as to WHEN the plane crash people are.

-The runway Ajira 316 landed on was the same one the Others forced Kate and Sawyer to help build back in season 3. Juliet jokingly said it was for the aliens, but now it's starting to make sense. Perhaps in some weird time loop, Ben ordered the construction because he knew that he would be on the plane that would crash.

Good points, you must be on other Lost forums. But if you remembered that, Kudos to you! Ben could possibly be on his third or forth go around in time, who knows at this point. Is he trying to stop it? Or keep giong until he accomplishes his mission? First episode this season where I have a lot more questions than answers. If I were Sawyer, I would have hopped on the sub to the mainland and bet on sports for the next 30 years...

Just saw this online: when Christian says to Sun, "You have a long journey ahead of you," and the camera starts to zoom on Sun's reaction, over her shoulder is a person, that kind of looks like Clare.

Also, what did Sawyer's line about Faraday mean? I can't remember exactly what he said, but he made it sound like Faraday had gone mad.

Good points, you must be on other Lost forums. But if you remembered that, Kudos to you! Ben could possibly be on his third or forth go around in time, who knows at this point. Is he trying to stop it? Or keep giong until he accomplishes his mission? First episode this season where I have a lot more questions than answers. If I were Sawyer, I would have hopped on the sub to the mainland and bet on sports for the next 30 years...

I made a similar comment to my wife last night that I was thinking that Ben is going through something like a Groundhog Day scenario, where he keeps having to go back to try to do something.

how did that work out for Biff?

Good points, you must be on other Lost forums. But if you remembered that, Kudos to you!

I lifted them from another site. I would never pretend to be able to keep track of that much :blink:

Ben could possibly be on his third or forth go around in time, who knows at this point. Is he trying to stop it? Or keep giong until he accomplishes his mission? First episode this season where I have a lot more questions than answers. If I were Sawyer, I would have hopped on the sub to the mainland and bet on sports for the next 30 years...

Interesting theory about Ben being caught in the loop. that might explain all the different sightings of him on the mainland, as well as his wealth.

Yep. I said that about the runway while watching it. Did not catch a repetition of the numbers... I'll look for it in the replay next week.

Just saw this online: when Christian says to Sun, "You have a long journey ahead of you," and the camera starts to zoom on Sun's reaction, over her shoulder is a person, that kind of looks like Clare.

Also, what did Sawyer's line about Faraday mean? I can't remember exactly what he said, but he made it sound like Faraday had gone mad.

.... Also didn't catch the Claire appearance. Nice.

Jack said a surprised, 'Faraday's here too?!' to which Sawyer said something like 'Sort of.' And yes, the implication of that is that Daniel is there but here's not "there." The blabbering that started after the disappearance of Charlotte's body (and Daniel seeing what is presumed to be Young Charlotte) looks like it lasted. From my reading ahead Faraday's role is not finished, by far and it involves [white fonted for spoiler] the sub.

I made a similar comment to my wife last night that I was thinking that Ben is going through something like a Groundhog Day scenario, where he keeps having to go back to try to do something.

Or, rather, that he is having a Desmond-like experience. Tho, Ben's portents of the future may be more due to diligent research than to actual visions. As such, Ben's plans are much more elaborate than Desmond's free-wheeling it while he was saving Charlie... and with none of the 'should I try to change things' moral questions that plagued Des. And still, the things Ben is doing have happened and will always happen in the Vonnegut-esque Tralfamadorian concept of time/history.

Or, rather, that he is having a Desmond-like experience. Tho, Ben's portents of the future may be more due to diligent research than to actual visions. As such, Ben's plans are much more elaborate than Desmond's free-wheeling it while he was saving Charlie... and with none of the 'should I try to change things' moral questions that plagued Des. And still, the things Ben is doing have happened and will always happen in the Vonnegut-esque Tralfamadorian concept of time/history.

not sure i totally agree with that last statement. i know the faraday and hawkings have said that you cant change what is going to happen, but does fate really outweigh freewill? is all of this in order to get mankind BACK to the point where they have freewill and arent slaves to fate? maybe mankind (in the show) is trapped in some state of fate controlled future because of a time loop, and the point of the show will be to un-stick them. Kind of more along the lines of Vonnegut's Timequake than SH-5.

i think what we are seeing are people (whether it is Ben or Locke or Jack or a combination) who will attempt to restore freewill from fate. maybe freewill is what has been LOST the entire time...

not sure i totally agree with that last statement. i know the faraday and hawkings have said that you cant change what is going to happen, but does fate really outweigh freewill? is all of this in order to get mankind BACK to the point where they have freewill and arent slaves to fate? maybe mankind (in the show) is trapped in some state of fate controlled future because of a time loop, and the point of the show will be to un-stick them. Kind of more along the lines of Vonnegut's Timequake than SH-5.

i think what we are seeing are people (whether it is Ben or Locke or Jack or a combination) who will attempt to restore freewill from fate. maybe freewill is what has been LOST the entire time...

Well, all the things that enabled them all to get back to '77 and change the history of the DI are what led to the DI being what it was. W/o them, it wouldn't have happened exactly as it did. The universe course correcting to make sure than what happened happens. Does fate outweigh free will? I think the answer so far in this show is a resounding, Yes! As the Locke-Jack debate has shown to be in Locke's favor --- "All roads lead here."

Perhaps what you write about is the goal of the coming "war." To break the inevitability of whatever future that the Numbers equation quantifies/predicts(?). There was a Youtube video released by the show that shows a Dharma discussion of the numbers... it was pretty vague still, but explained their determination to change them.

Oh, one more thing I remembered that I thought I would ask you guys- when Caesar woke the woman that was with Sayid on the plane after the crash, she mumbled a name or a word- did anyone catch it? I meant to rewind it at the commercial break but forgot.

Oh, one more thing I remembered that I thought I would ask you guys- when Caesar woke the woman that was with Sayid on the plane after the crash, she mumbled a name or a word- did anyone catch it? I meant to rewind it at the commercial break but forgot.

I think she said "Jarrah?", which is Sayid's last name