What's with the refs? Two huge blown calls

That blown call on the kickoff in the Arizona game....the ball never went out of bounds, and if it nicked that dude's fingertip, he was in bounds at the time. Had Arizona not won, that would've been just a very costly error.

And the roughing the punter call....what the hell. They nearly gave Pittsburgh an extra 3. Thank God for Karma. I don't know who will win this game, but the ref's idiocy could've been costly.

These are the best officials in the game?

this has been a horrible year for officiating in the NFL

you would think the NFL would finally wake up and realize they need full time refs instead of these old lawyers and accountants that simply cant keep up with the game anymore

if the Cards lost that game it wouldnt have been because of that missed call, it would have been because they came out flat after halftime thinking the game was already over...they were lucky to win considering McNabb is one of the most inaccurate QBs in the short passing game which is amazing considering he plays in a west coast offense

You forgot the missed PI call on the Eagles' last play, and the bogus PI call on the Ravens' TD drive on 3rd down.

big difference between the two PI calls is one was late in the 4th quarter and the other was in the 2nd quarter

after the calls made in the SD Indy game I wasnt surprised they didnt call that pass interference on the Cards

On the kickoff it was exactly the right call ...

the ball hit the guys hand on the way down (means live ball) ... it hits his arm after the bounce while he is standing out of bounds (means dead ball at the spot)

The refs have messed up lots of calls this year ... you're barking up the wrong tree on this one though. They almost messed it up by placing the ball at the 40 (meaning illegal kick out of bounds). Apparently the linejudge toward the goalline only saw the ball hit him on the way up while he was standing OOB. They corrected themselves before it was all over and placed it just outside the 30 where he touched the ball.

this has been a horrible year for officiating in the NFL

you would think the NFL would finally wake up and realize they need full time refs instead of these old lawyers and accountants that simply cant keep up with the game anymore

if the Cards lost that game it wouldnt have been because of that missed call, it would have been because they came out flat after halftime thinking the game was already over...they were lucky to win considering McNabb is one of the most inaccurate QBs in the short passing game which is amazing considering he plays in a west coast offense

I have a question about full-time refs. What would they do between February and July? Would their pay be enough where they do not need to work in the off-season?

I have a question about full-time refs. What would they do between February and July? Would their pay be enough where they do not need to work in the off-season?

they would play golf, go fishing, get to know the wife and kids again. it may not be full time refs we need but ones that can keep up with the game. the age disparity between players and refs is way to big. these young men playing are super athletes and the old guys covering them aren't.

never mind all that what is up with holding? it happens all the time and gets called seemingly when it is convenient.

On the kickoff it was exactly the right call ...

the ball hit the guys hand on the way down (means live ball) ... it hits his arm after the bounce while he is standing out of bounds (means dead ball at the spot)

The refs have messed up lots of calls this year ... you're barking up the wrong tree on this one though. They almost messed it up by placing the ball at the 40 (meaning illegal kick out of bounds). Apparently the linejudge toward the goalline only saw the ball hit him on the way up while he was standing OOB. They corrected themselves before it was all over and placed it just outside the 30 where he touched the ball.

Wrong. If they ruled the player was standing out of bounds when the ball touched him, then it's an illegal kick out of bounds and the ball should've been placed at the 40. This exact scenario happened in a game earlier this year (i think it was a bills game) and the ball was indeed placed at the 40.

What about the 'no catch' ruling on Holmes near the goal line? I counted 3 steps after he had control of the ball. If that was ruled correctly...it's a bad rule.

I thought that as well. I just did get not how after three feet down he had to hold onto the ball after hitting the ground. Must be a rule I missed somewhere

they would play golf, go fishing, get to know the wife and kids again. it may not be full time refs we need but ones that can keep up with the game. the age disparity between players and refs is way to big. these young men playing are super athletes and the old guys covering them aren't.

never mind all that what is up with holding? it happens all the time and gets called seemingly when it is convenient.

I agree. I just hate the term"full-time". The league needs younger and better trained and conditioned refs who can keep up with the play.

You forgot the missed PI call on the Eagles' last play, and the bogus PI call on the Ravens' TD drive on 3rd down.

My son-in-law is a huge Iggles fan <don't worry, my 'Grandies' are Bills fans> and he was screamin' about that call. Of little condolence, I told him they shouldn't have put themselves in that spot -facing 4th & 'the season' on the road in a playoff game. 'Cuz that's what happens..

That was the worst call of the weekend, IMO. The defender grabbed Conway's leg before he extended for the ball. Horrible blown call that really cost the Eagles a chance to win the game.

That was the worst call of the weekend, IMO. The defender grabbed Conway's leg before he extended for the ball. Horrible blown call that really cost the Eagles a chance to win the game.

Yeah, poor Conway...he never stood a chance. He and Kevin Curtis can commiserate over it. Conway looked really upset after the non-call.

Wrong. If they ruled the player was standing out of bounds when the ball touched him, then it's an illegal kick out of bounds and the ball should've been placed at the 40. This exact scenario happened in a game earlier this year (i think it was a bills game) and the ball was indeed placed at the 40.

Not true.

Since the ball was first touched by the receiving team while the receiving player was inbounds (ticked off his finger tips), the ball was live and any subsequent touching of the ball by a player out of bounds (such as if the ball bounced back up and hit the receiving player in the arm or leg after his foot was out of bounds) would stop the play and the ball should be spotted where it was touched.

Thus, the ruling on the field was correct if you believe the ball was touched a second time. I was not convinced of that though and I was extremely dissapointed that the play was unreviewable for some reason (Could've sworn I've seen that situation reviewed during Bills games once or twice...).

the ref near the goal line immediately through his flag on the kickoff ... thus deeming it an illegal kick and ending the play ... it was not a ruling they decided to enforce when they realized they made a mistake. His call was immediate and decisive ... something often lacking in this day of instant replay and constant critiquing of every call in every sport. Watching the play several times in HD, I saw the player's finger move when the ball grazed it on the way down while the player was still in bounds, then slightly change rotation/direction when hitting the same player on the way up after hitting in bounds while the player was standing out of bounds. It was the absolute correct call.

It's review-ability is similar to what it is on a fumble that is ruled incomplete or down by contact on the field ... once the whistle has sounded, possession cannot be challenged ... though they did slightly alter that this year so that some could be reviewed (maybe if the ball was recovered before the actual whistle sounded?). On the kickoff, it is clear as soon as the flag is through, the play is dead.