What's with the refs? Two huge blown calls

What about the 'no catch' ruling on Holmes near the goal line? I counted 3 steps after he had control of the ball. If that was ruled correctly...it's a bad rule.

Consider too that the only reason that the ball came loose was that Holmes extended it, trying to dive for a TD. He could have just tucked it away and been down at the one.

I wonder if the correct interpretation of the rule is or should be that Holmes was basically making "two football moves"-- he caught the ball, got two feet and a hand down (move #1), then he lunged forward for the TD (move #2).

I thought that as well. I just did get not how after three feet down he had to hold onto the ball after hitting the ground. Must be a rule I missed somewhere

This is the new rule. If you catch the ball and fall on the ground, you have to maintain control of the ball even if you're down. I think it's dumb, but that's the way they call it now.

As far as the kickoff, I think the Lards got stiffed on that one. I don't think the guy was out of bounds. I mostly was watching the ball on that one. But, it didn't go out of bounds. If I see it again I'll check. But to me it looked like Lard ball at about the 20.

you would think the NFL would finally wake up and realize they need full time refs instead of these old lawyers and accountants that simply cant keep up with the game anymore

I hear this alot, but really, what makes you think they would be any better? Officiating will never be 100%. They have full time refs in the NBA and MLB. I see bad calls in those sports all the time too.

well lets bring a third blown call, running into the punter. Mitch Berger wasn't even touched, slipped on his own.

What slip, he didn't slip, he freaking fell on purpose trying to win an academy award or something. It was even a terrible acting job and he still got the call.

This is the new rule. If you catch the ball and fall on the ground, you have to maintain control of the ball even if you're down. I think it's dumb, but that's the way they call it now.

As far as the kickoff, I think the Lards got stiffed on that one. I don't think the guy was out of bounds. I mostly was watching the ball on that one. But, it didn't go out of bounds. If I see it again I'll check. But to me it looked like Lard ball at about the 20.

Anyone have a link to this rule? Taking it to its absurd maximum if a receiver catches the ball on their 1 and runs downfield and falls at the opponents 1 dropping the ball it would be an incomplete pass. The guy took 3 steps fercryinoutloud, and as JR said...the only reason he fumbled was because he was extending the ball to the goal.

I'll stand by my statement that if the ref interpreted the rule correctly it is a 'stupid' rule.

Anyone have a link to this rule? Taking it to its absurd maximum if a receiver catches the ball on their 1 and runs downfield and falls at the opponents 1 dropping the ball it would be an incomplete pass. The guy took 3 steps fercryinoutloud, and as JR said...the only reason he fumbled was because he was extending the ball to the goal.

I'll stand by my statement that if the ref interpreted the rule correctly it is a 'stupid' rule.

Don't have google? I'm sure the NFL rule book is online somewhere.

I agree that it's a stupid rule too.

Anyone remember Butch Johnson's TD catch in SB XII which is the most famous highlight from that game? Wouldn't be a TD in SB XLIII.