Poz defensive MVP...

Alphadawg7

I was a little surprised to see this, but when you think about it no one player truly stood out all year on D, so I guess they had to choose someone.

I will say though, I just didn't see the consistency from him that I would expect from a defensive MVP...

Link

I was a little surprised to see this, but when you think about it no one player truly stood out all year on D, so I guess they had to choose someone.

I will say though, I just didn't see the consistency from him that I would expect from a defensive MVP...

Link

Actually, I shouldn't be so rush to judge. As a former football player, I know that a players contribution as a leader of a team is more than just the play on the field and stats. If he is out there making adjustments and reading the offense and putting us into a better position to succeed, then that is pretty valuable and something you will never really see when watching the game as a fan.

So, I retract my surprise and disapproval and hope that this is something he can build on and grow from to become a bigger impact on the field.

Actually, I shouldn't be so rush to judge. As a former football player, I know that a players contribution as a leader of a team is more than just the play on the field and stats. If he is out there making adjustments and reading the offense and putting us into a better position to succeed, then that is pretty valuable and something you will never really see when watching the game as a fan.

So, I retract my surprise and disapproval and hope that this is something he can build on and grow from to become a bigger impact on the field.

An 8 minute turn around.

I think they made the wrong decision, also. I think Ko Simpson should've been the Defensive MVP, Note: I am being sarcastic before I have every posters slam me to the wall.

seriously though, the guy is worth millions, he proved it every sunday on the field. he's the MVP in my book

I'd go with Kawika based just on the way they impacted the team.

"In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king!"

typical, make a high character, high motor guy who can't tackle, and can't cover the pass you're defensive mvp. I can't think of a playoff team he'd even start for. pretty much sums up our lame organization

typical, make a high character, high motor guy who can't tackle, and can't cover the pass you're defensive mvp. I can't think of a playoff team he'd even start for. pretty much sums up our lame organization

He gets rewarded for making the decisions that the coaching staff should be making.

Pretty sad that playing ability had nothing to do with it.

I know that a players contribution as a leader of a team is more than just the play on the field and stats.

Unfortunately the more we try to excuse what little impact from poz on the field, it is more of the indictment about the team. I can count on one hand the amount of impact plays from poz during the season, IMHO that's not the type of defense that wins games for ya. At times watching this team it seemed like 11 guys were just on the field.

I'm not trying to take anything away from poz but i would rather have my defensive/ offensive mvp be a difference maker on the field, and give the sportmanship/ leadership award to the player that you describe....just a thought :unsure:

An 8 minute turn around.

About-face! :ph34r:

I know that a players contribution as a leader of a team is more than just the play on the field and stats.

Unfortunately the more we try to excuse what little impact from poz on the field, it is more of the indictment about the team. I can count on one hand the amount of impact plays from poz during the season, IMHO that's not the type of defense that wins games for ya. At times watching this team it seemed like 11 guys were just on the field.

I'm not trying to take anything away from poz but i would rather have my defensive/ offensive mvp be a difference maker on the field, and give the sportmanship/ leadership award to the player that you describe....just a thought :unsure:

To be fair to Poz, it is a little difficult to be an "impact player" rather than just another guy when your responsibility in the base defense against the pass is peeling back into the middle deep zone as fast as you can haul ass away from the line of scrimmage. Poz did make a lot of tackles and it is good to have at least 1 guy on defense that can execute a fundamental skill.

About-face! :ph34r:

To be fair to Poz, it is a little difficult to be an "impact player" rather than just another guy when your responsibility in the base defense against the pass is peeling back into the middle deep zone as fast as you can haul ass away from the line of scrimmage. Poz did make a lot of tackles and it is good to have at least 1 guy on defense that can execute a fundamental skill.

Like i said I wasn't trying to take anything away from Poz, the scheme IMO is flawed but to name a guy MVP b/c he fundamental sound? Jeez were really scraping the bottom of the barrel....this is the NFL. Just watching the past weeks games defensively really is a punch in the gut for me. I just think you should at least know the guy is on the field, esp. if he's your MVP. :unsure:

And btw Poz is the guy who teams w/ K.Mitchell on the dual A- gap blitz, when its called (rarely unfortunately) but who's the guy that gets the pressure...hmmm

Like i said I wasn't trying to take anything away from Poz, the scheme IMO is flawed but to name a guy MVP b/c he fundamental sound? Jeez were really scraping the bottom of the barrel....this is the NFL. Just watching the past weeks games defensively really is a punch in the gut for me. I just think you should at least know the guy is on the field, esp. if he's your MVP. :wallbash:

And btw Poz is the guy who teams w/ K.Mitchell on the dual A- gap blitz, when its called (rarely unfortunately) but who's the guy that gets the pressure...hmmm

What's really funny is that (if you've read anything about the Dungy defense) you want a guy that has freakish speed at Mike in the Tampa-2 and the Bills traded up to get a guy that runs a 4.7 40 in his boxers. :blink:

Hard to say whether that is more interesting than landing a blitzing LB as your big free agency signing though.

Nothing like naming a guy who gets blown up by a guard 15 yards down field MVP.

Mitchell had some really good plays but not consistent as well as Stroud

Greer was good when he was in too bad he got hurt I would have to vote for him.

The POZ is a good football player.

Folks dis Marv for grabbing another "character" player who supposedly cannot play.

For a young linebacker in his first full season (everyone should remember that he was injured early the prior year and on IR) - I think we may have an impact player in the making. I watched him in games and they used him all over the field and with how lame our pass rush was he had to cover a lot of shallow routes and dump off passes as well as the run.

He will be fine.

The POZ is a good football player.

Folks dis Marv for grabbing another "character" player who supposedly cannot play.

For a young linebacker in his first full season (everyone should remember that he was injured early the prior year and on IR) - I think we may have an impact player in the making. I watched him in games and they used him all over the field and with how lame our pass rush was he had to cover a lot of shallow routes and dump off passes as well as the run.

He will be fine.

Agreed, I think we have to give him chance. As well as Ko, he missed last season as well. I know he got arrested but at least it wasn't a major incident. I know everyone is upset about the season, but some people seem to hate everything about the organization. I think no matter who they would have chosen it would have been seen as negative.

You know you probably thought the same same thing about Jim Leonard and London Fletcher.All they have done since leaving us is make plays.It isn't about our team not having talent.It is about the team letting the guys play ball.This playing not to lose stuff sucks.

In the opener our defense was flying all over the field.When we started taking injuries we curled up in a ball and played bend but don't break.

I remember all the posts about how London makes alot of tackles but they are 5 to 10 yards down field.Then he gets on a team that will let him play and he is a play maker.The same can be said for Jim.All I read that he was as good as burnt toast and when is Simpson going to get back.But let the man be a playmaker and he makes plays.

Folks we have talent the coaches just need to pull their heads out of their a$$es and coach like the it matters if we win.Talent isn't the problem I am not too sure coaching is the problem.Both sides of the ball have shown they can dominate for a quarter the coaches have to let our guys play for the whole game.

I would have to agree with the pick. Although he is nowhere close to Pro Bowl level, he probably was the most consistent. A handful of players had 2 or 3 outstanding games, but in between or around those games, had terrible ones. That in addition to him having the speaker in his helmet calling the defenses, gives his the nod. I would have to say the closest to him would be Terrence McGee and he had a couple games where his nickname was "Toast."

My problem with Poz is that he was pretty awful as a linebacker, against the run. There were way too many times he was seen

getting his ass handed to him, gettting shoved back...which also doesn't say much for the d-line. Other than the St Louis game, early on, he struggled, like much of our defense. I am not worried about him, because he will get better when (if) the talent around him gets better.

I realize there wasn't one player on the defense that didn't have a rough day or two (or 3, or 4 or 5...). I really think (and you can laugh) that Greer and McGee were the biggest difference makers on defense, more weeks than any others. Now, the Bills can't name Greer as MVP, because, as we all know, he will be playing elswhere next season. When ESPN spends the summer ripping the ineptness of our Bills, the organization doesn't want "lost their defensive MVP" as one of the litany of bad moments for the team. So, IMO, it should have been McGee, or possibly Mithchell. McGee had some poor games, but also had some stellar games covering some good receivers....

To me, one of the biggest disappointments of this season, among the many, was the injury to Ashton Youboty. I really thought he was starting to look like a "special" player, after being left for dead. I hope to god, he comes back next season, as motivated to make something of his NFL career, as he appeared to be this past season.

hahahaha, yes it was...I was too quick to judge and corrected my initial reaction...

A lot to be said for being able to correct a reaction after reflection.

In a way the pick is interesting and says a lot about the overall quality of the defense, that Poz was picked in a D that wasn't bad and had no real stars on it that jumped out as a "must pick". Our free agents would have come to mind as possible choices, but I can't say Poz was a bad pick.

Poz I thought was a very consistent player for our team, very solid, I hope to see him become more of a playmaker for us like Mitchell, and I'm sure there were many behind the scenes and intangibles that he adds to our defense. It is something definitely to build on.

Poz I thought was a very consistent player for our team, very solid, I hope to see him become more of a playmaker for us like Mitchell, and I'm sure there were many behind the scenes and intangibles that he adds to our defense. It is something definitely to build on.

Poz is no better than a journeyman football player and wouldn't even have made the team in pittsburgh or baltimore

Poz is no better than a journeyman football player and wouldn't even have made the team in pittsburgh or baltimore

You mean like Wire can't start on another team? Or Bannan can't start on another team? Or Jim Leonhard can't start on another team?

There's a reason you're sitting on the couch on Sunday and aren't scouting other players.

Poz would probably fare better as an outside backer, which is where he played in college if I'm not mistaken. If the Bills could get Mauluga with their first pick it would be possible to switch Poz back to his natural position.

Link

The pick says a lot more about the fans here than it says about the POZ

Poz would probably fare better as an outside backer, which is where he played in college if I'm not mistaken. If the Bills could get Mauluga with their first pick it would be possible to switch Poz back to his natural position.

he's too slow to play olb in the nfl

You know you probably thought the same same thing about Jim Leonard and London Fletcher.All they have done since leaving us is make plays.It isn't about our team not having talent.It is about the team letting the guys play ball.This playing not to lose stuff sucks.

In the opener our defense was flying all over the field.When we started taking injuries we curled up in a ball and played bend but don't break.

I remember all the posts about how London makes alot of tackles but they are 5 to 10 yards down field.Then he gets on a team that will let him play and he is a play maker.The same can be said for Jim.All I read that he was as good as burnt toast and when is Simpson going to get back.But let the man be a playmaker and he makes plays.

Folks we have talent the coaches just need to pull their heads out of their a$$es and coach like the it matters if we win.Talent isn't the problem I am not too sure coaching is the problem.Both sides of the ball have shown they can dominate for a quarter the coaches have to let our guys play for the whole game.

In a thread of really bad posts.. too many to really mention; this post is pretty well dead on accurate.

There was a time when players would leave Buffalo and you heard little about them, i.e. they really were bad to below average players. However, that time has come and gone. Look no further than this year's Championship games. There are several former Bills' players that you'll see contributing to their teams today. That should tell everyone exactly what the problem is. It's not our players nearly as much as it is the people responsible for preparing the players.

As one poster so eloquently stated, it's hard for Poz to make an impact play when he runs away from the line of scrimmage as fast as he can at every snap of the ball.