Could We Make a Run at Jordan Gross and............

H2o

Jordan Gross is a Pro Bowl LT. Could we make a run at him this offseason and then trade Peters? Yes we would have to pay him top tier money, but atleast he would come in here with a right attitude if we signed him as a FA. Peters is possibly going to be disgruntled until he gets what he feels he deserves. On the other hand, if we did try to accomplish this and it didn't work then Peters would surely be a cancer. If this did go according to plan, we could have a premier LT and extra draft picks (maybe a 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd, something along those lines) to help build our team. Just a thought. I know there's going to be the typical "you're stupid if you want to trade Peters away" posts :wallbash: . But if we got Gross in return, there really wouldn't be a drop-off in our LT level of performance. All of this is relative to whether Carolina franchises him again or throws big money his way of course. I think this would be a good move if it could be pulled off. We are the Buffalo Bills though, so I don't know if stuff like this happens around here anymore. For all of you who are about to say it's "stupid" :oops: , actually think about what could be done with the extra draft picks.

You are the first person who has actually had a replacement (and a pretty solid one at that) in mind though. It's not like these other maroons yelling yeah we could slide Walker over and insert Chambers, etc......... Sure, if it could be pulled off, I'd love Jordan Gross and some another 1st round pick and change going into the draft.

Our weaknesses are pass rush and the middle of the offensive line. I think we ought to do our best to keep Peters and move throught the draft and free agency with whatever we have to shore up those areas. I think we dance with the girls that ended the season with us for the most part. That means Edwards at qb, Peters at LT, Lynch and Jackson, and the receiving corps with the possible addition of a Tight End. We are a mediocre team trying to get very good and we have to shore up the trenches...offensive and defensive line if we are going to do that. If it looks like we aren't going to be able to get or live with Peters then I guess your idea is an excellent one as we would have major issues at LT.

Jordan Gross is a Pro Bowl LT. Could we make a run at him this offseason and then trade Peters? Yes we would have to pay him top tier money, but atleast he would come in here with a right attitude if we signed him as a FA. Peters is possibly going to be disgruntled until he gets what he feels he deserves. On the other hand, if we did try to accomplish this and it didn't work then Peters would surely be a cancer. If this did go according to plan, we could have a premier LT and extra draft picks (maybe a 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd, something along those lines) to help build our team. Just a thought. I know there's going to be the typical "you're stupid if you want to trade Peters away" posts :wallbash: . But if we got Gross in return, there really wouldn't be a drop-off in our LT level of performance. All of this is relative to whether Carolina franchises him again or throws big money his way of course. I think this would be a good move if it could be pulled off. We are the Buffalo Bills though, so I don't know if stuff like this happens around here anymore. For all of you who are about to say it's "stupid" :oops: , actually think about what could be done with the extra draft picks.

I've never understood that word. Is the opposite to be gruntled? "If the Bills sign Jordan Gross they will have a gruntled LT for years to come."

Something needs to be worked out/done with Peters. To me his play wasn't 'top flight' in 2008. Others disagree. Not knowing what his 'demands' are it is difficult to say whether he should be given a new contract or be put on the trading block. What won't work is another year of staying away from off season workouts, voluntary and mandatory minis & training camp. That's a recipe for disaster.

I appreciate posts like this. I don't necessarily agree with the trade, but I like the train of thought. He is another......

Why not pay Peters AND sign Gross? One of them could move to RT. Peters has played there already, and it is not out of the question that he would wind up as the best RT of all time (if of course his work ethic did prevail). Peters is probably stronger than was Erik Williams and even more agile. These guys would flatten defenders all over the field. Think of what Jackson and Lynch could do!

Draft an early center and another guard for depth and the OL is great. There would be plenty left to draft and sign DEs and DTs.

My scenario is also unlikely, but that is because of Ralph/Dick Levy. There is more than enough cap space and we could trade down for an extra 2nd and have more than enough draft picks.

Ralph won't spemd the money and Dick Levy won't stop drafting defensive backs. That Sir, is the sad reality.

Bill, Peters AND Gross have played RT, and just the idea of having them both is probably giving you wood as high as the Empire State Building!!! :wallbash: Don't worry, me too, and if it lasts more than 4 hours I guess we'll have to call a doctor! :oops: On a serious note tennesseeboy, I agree we need to continue beefing up the lines but on the DL, I almost guarentee none of the best ones (Haynesworth, Peppers, Suggs) will even make it to free agency. I'm hoping Jason Brown escapes Baltimore from them having to worry about Suggs, Ray Ray and Bart Scott but if not, it's probably Matt Birk time with a 3rd round draft pick to be groomed behind him after DE and TE are addressed in the first two rounds.

Bill, Peters AND Gross have played RT, and just the idea of having them both is probably giving you wood as high as the Empire State Building!!! :wallbash: Don't worry, me too, and if it lasts more than 4 hours I guess we'll have to call a doctor! :oops: On a serious note tennesseeboy, I agree we need to continue beefing up the lines but on the DL, I almost guarentee none of the best ones (Haynesworth, Peppers, Suggs) will even make it to free agency. I'm hoping Jason Brown escapes Baltimore from them having to worry about Suggs, Ray Ray and Bart Scott but if not, it's probably Matt Birk time with a 3rd round draft pick to be groomed behind him after DE and TE are addressed in the first two rounds.

With Ralph and Dick Levy all we are left with is hope. and most of that is abstract.

I appreciate posts like this. I don't necessarily agree with the trade, but I like the train of thought. He is another......

Why not pay Peters AND sign Gross? One of them could move to RT. Peters has played there already, and it is not out of the question that he would wind up as the best RT of all time (if of course his work ethic did prevail). Peters is probably stronger than was Erik Williams and even more agile. These guys would flatten defenders all over the field. Think of what Jackson and Lynch could do!

Draft an early center and another guard for depth and the OL is great. There would be plenty left to draft and sign DEs and DTs.

My scenario is also unlikely, but that is because of Ralph/Dick Levy. There is more than enough cap space and we could trade down for an extra 2nd and have more than enough draft picks.

Ralph won't spemd the money and Dick Levy won't stop drafting defensive backs. That Sir, is the sad reality.

Would be awesome, but true that it is VERY unlikely. I'm just tired of the way these players go about things sometimes. They act like a little kid pouting in the corner and over contracts that they signed. It's like a kid who said he wanted one of the "dum-dum" suckers and then gets mad because he sees another kid with a big ol' Tootsie Pop. If Peters threatens to hold out again, I say he has to go. Great player or not, it's too disruptive to our team. Walker playing LT all preseason, Chambers at RT, and us searching to find out what's going to work again? It's not worth it, especially if he's just going to show up week 1 again and go throught the same progression as this past season.

Jordan Gross is a Pro Bowl LT. Could we make a run at him this offseason and then trade Peters? Yes we would have to pay him top tier money, but atleast he would come in here with a right attitude if we signed him as a FA. Peters is possibly going to be disgruntled until he gets what he feels he deserves. On the other hand, if we did try to accomplish this and it didn't work then Peters would surely be a cancer. If this did go according to plan, we could have a premier LT and extra draft picks (maybe a 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd, something along those lines) to help build our team. Just a thought. I know there's going to be the typical "you're stupid if you want to trade Peters away" posts :beer: . But if we got Gross in return, there really wouldn't be a drop-off in our LT level of performance. All of this is relative to whether Carolina franchises him again or throws big money his way of course. I think this would be a good move if it could be pulled off. We are the Buffalo Bills though, so I don't know if stuff like this happens around here anymore. For all of you who are about to say it's "stupid" :D , actually think about what could be done with the extra draft picks.

As one of the people who has said "stupid" to many many of the trade Peters posts let me say that your idea shows some intelligence. You are the first individual, to my knowledge, that has adressed the question of what do you do to backfill for Peters if you trade him?

The posts that suggest you simply trade Peters without answeing this key question are stupid. So are the ones that assume the Bills can simply draft another acceptable LT. I've said several times that your odds of doing this are 50/50 (depends on the round to a degree) so why gamble with those odds?

Your idea has merit. Thank you for putting some thought into what you could do to properly facilitate a trade of one of the only truly good players on our roster.

Jordan Gross is a Pro Bowl LT. Could we make a run at him this offseason and then trade Peters? Yes we would have to pay him top tier money, but atleast he would come in here with a right attitude if we signed him as a FA. Peters is possibly going to be disgruntled until he gets what he feels he deserves. On the other hand, if we did try to accomplish this and it didn't work then Peters would surely be a cancer. If this did go according to plan, we could have a premier LT and extra draft picks (maybe a 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd, something along those lines) to help build our team. Just a thought. I know there's going to be the typical "you're stupid if you want to trade Peters away" posts :beer: . But if we got Gross in return, there really wouldn't be a drop-off in our LT level of performance. All of this is relative to whether Carolina franchises him again or throws big money his way of course. I think this would be a good move if it could be pulled off. We are the Buffalo Bills though, so I don't know if stuff like this happens around here anymore. For all of you who are about to say it's "stupid" :D , actually think about what could be done with the extra draft picks.

There is a very long list of teams already said to have Gross HIGH on their priority list. And, Buffalo by the way hasn't been on any of those lists that I have seen. He isn't coming to Buffalo...

Good idea, just not going to be a reality.

There is a very long list of teams already said to have Gross HIGH on their priority list. And, Buffalo by the way hasn't been on any of those lists that I have seen. He isn't coming to Buffalo...

Must be that all of those teams just do not see the wisdom in turning away a very talented LT and putting an average one on their roster instead.

Already brought this whole idea up a few weeks ago, halfway down the page

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...=79776&st=0

"I'd like to agree with you about Peter's "lost year," but unfortunately the players and coaches did not agree with you. Him making a second pro bowl only hurts the bills at the negotiation table, and reinforces the fact to Peters that he would be coveted elsewhere, regardless of how undeserving he was this year.

The thing is, Peters COULD be the best tackle in the league for the next 10 years. COULD is the word that needs to be emphasized here. He still has not been able to stay healthy for a whole season since he's moved to left tackle, and his getting beaten the last 10 games numerous times is a far cry from 2007. He still has had only one good year so far, maybe add another 5-6 games if you're being generous.

And him missing the last game right after making the pro bowl sounds a little fishy to me. Is he really hurt, or is he just acting on his talk that "the reason why you play the game is to go to hawaii" (not the SB)? I don't know if you can question his work ethic, since he made it all the way from a UNFA TE to a pro bowl LT, but maybe somewhere along the way he got too full of himself and is on the glorious path to mike williams irrelevancy. Obviously, I go too far.

The problem here is that by not giving him his contract last year he's going to demand even more money. Last year I remember his jackass agent asking for 11-12-15 mil a year...by far the highest paid lineman money. He'll probably ask for more.

I said on this board a couple days ago that if the bills are really uncertain about Peters, and they are unwilling to mortgage their future of 11 mil a year on the guy, they should go out and get Jordan Gross. The Panthers aren't going to resign him because they have Peppers to deal with and they just spent a 1st rounder on a rising star Otah from Pitt. He's a real solid, athletic and versatile player whose started a lot of games, doesnt get injured, great attitude and just made a pro bowl (yea, I know we just established this doesnt mean much). I almost guarantee that he will go a few million less than Peters a year.

I would only advise this if we can get VERY GOOD return for peters...like more than a high first rounder...hopefully 2 1sts, maybe a package of 1st and 3rd or 1st and 2nd. But I think this might be a good plan to go for IF and ONLY IF the bills are unwilling to pay peters and can get good value."

Already brought this whole idea up a few weeks ago, halfway down the page

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...=79776&st=0

"I'd like to agree with you about Peter's "lost year," but unfortunately the players and coaches did not agree with you. Him making a second pro bowl only hurts the bills at the negotiation table, and reinforces the fact to Peters that he would be coveted elsewhere, regardless of how undeserving he was this year.

I said on this board a couple days ago that if the bills are really uncertain about Peters, and they are unwilling to mortgage their future of 11 mil a year on the guy, they should go out and get Jordan Gross. The Panthers aren't going to resign him because they have Peppers to deal with and they just spent a 1st rounder on a rising star Otah from Pitt. He's a real solid, athletic and versatile player whose started a lot of games, doesnt get injured, great attitude and just made a pro bowl (yea, I know we just established this doesnt mean much). I almost guarantee that he will go a few million less than Peters a year.

I would only advise this if we can get VERY GOOD return for peters...like more than a high first rounder...hopefully 2 1sts, maybe a package of 1st and 3rd or 1st and 2nd. But I think this might be a good plan to go for IF and ONLY IF the bills are unwilling to pay peters and can get good value."

OK so you get the credit for being the first intelligent person to post about what do you do to fill the gap left when and if Peters is gone. Probably very best case the Bills get a mid round first and a third for Peters and they still have to win the derby for Gross. The odds of all of this coming together is very slim.

The list of reasons for trading players is very short:

You have great depth at a given position and can afford to let a player go in exchange for a valued pick(s) (Bledsoe to Buffalo for example)

The traded player is past his prime but there is enough value in the players name that some team would want him to address a need or to perhaps sell tickets (think OJ simpson trade to SF)

A team has a crucial need to fill and there is a role player that they are willing to slightly over compensate the trading team for (Perhaps Brett Faurve fits this situation or even Marcus Stroud)

There is a straight up trade of players that fills needed roles on both teams

A player's behavior or statements is so disruptive to your team chemistry that you are willing to let him go for whatever value you can get out of him (Willis McGahee)

A player's perceived value is higher than the on-the-field contribution so the team giving up the player gets better value in return (this is where many people seem to argue Peters falls)

The problem with buying into this last point is that it potentially leaves a huge hole on the oline and I would argue even if we get a first and a third for Peters there is a one in four chance that you get nothing in return for him if your draft picks go bust. There is a one in two chance that you replace him on the roster with one player that may be average or below average. I repeat - I do not like those odds. You keep proven talent on your roster especially when that talent is entering their prime football years.

Good stuff Bill. Peters has so much talent. He had trouble with the outside rushers this year that he never had before. I would say conditioning and the loss of Mouse on the sidelines contributes to that. Hopefully, Brandon does one smart thing and signs Peters. If the lynch mob wants to address an overpaid lug, I wish they would target Dockery rather than Peters.

Peters wins most of his battles along the way while Dockery is always in a standoff.

We need some toughness on this team. Peters is tough and talented. Pay him! Draft some tough guys. There is a great article in SI last week about Baltimore's drafting strategy. They look for tough, aggressive players. Guys can have high character and still be tough. Enough with the class president's and Eagle Scouts, let's draft some hitters.

Brandon has probably zeroed in on another kick returner/punt returner as we can never have enough of those. Our mock drafts all indicate a love for safety's and wideouts. Our fanbase has been brainwashed by Ralph "inner circle".

OK so you get the credit for being the first intelligent person to post about what do you do to fill the gap left when and if Peters is gone. Probably very best case the Bills get a mid round first and a third for Peters and they still have to win the derby for Gross. The odds of all of this coming together is very slim.

The list of reasons for trading players is very short:

You have great depth at a given position and can afford to let a player go in exchange for a valued pick(s) (Bledsoe to Buffalo for example)

The traded player is past his prime but there is enough value in the players name that some team would want him to address a need or to perhaps sell tickets (think OJ simpson trade to SF)

A team has a crucial need to fill and there is a role player that they are willing to slightly over compensate the trading team for (Perhaps Brett Faurve fits this situation or even Marcus Stroud)

There is a straight up trade of players that fills needed roles on both teams

A player's behavior or statements is so disruptive to your team chemistry that you are willing to let him go for whatever value you can get out of him (Willis MaGahee)

A player's perceived value is higher than the on-the-field contribution so the team giving up the player gets better value in return (this is where many people seem to argue Peters falls)

The problem with buying into this last point is that it potentially leaves a huge hole on the oline and I would argue even if we get a first and a third for Peters there is a one in four chance that you get nothing in return for him if your draft picks go bust. There is a one in two chance that you replace him on the roster with one player that may be average or below average. I repeat - I do not like those odds. You keep proven talent on your roster especially when that talent is entering their prime football years.

Hey I wasn't trying to be pompous or anything with the gross idea, it's just I've been telling every single person I meet that we should try this out and I haven't heard a single person talk about it or bring it up. Props to H20.

I agree with you on the fact that they should do everything they can to keep peters. But is he worth 11 mil a year? I don't think 8 mil is gonna cut it for him or Eugene Parker. The guy wants to set the market. 11 mil might be a steal a couple years down the road, just like I think Evans contract will be.

But does he really want to be in Buffalo, after all the fans "hated" on him? These are answers that only time will tell.

My logic is that if we can't get him to sign, if buffalo is too cheap, we should take a look at Gross. Yeah, theres gonna be a Jordan Gross derby for sure this spring, but I don't think Gross is going to demand the money that peters is going to demand.

Yea, Peters has more upside than Gross for sure, but Gross is a solid versatile player that is still in the top 5 at his position, and he won't demand 11 mil a year. If the bills want to give out a 8 mil a year contract, gross would probably accept...I don't see him going higher than that.

This way, we can take that extra couple of million we saved and use it for other positions on the line. Not to mention the draft picks we'd get from the peters trade.

Good stuff Bill. Peters has so much talent. He had trouble with the outside rushers this year that he never had before. I would say conditioning and the loss of Mouse on the sidelines contributes to that. Hopefully, Brandon does one smart thing and signs Peters. If the lynch mob wants to address an overpaid lug, I wish they would target Dockery rather than Peters.

Peters wins most of his battles along the way while Dockery is always in a standoff.

We need some toughness on this team. Peters is tough and talented. Pay him! Draft some tough guys. There is a great article in SI last week about Baltimore's drafting strategy. They look for tough, aggressive players. Guys can have high character and still be tough. Enough with the class president's and Eagle Scouts, let's draft some hitters.

Brandon has probably zeroed in on another kick returner/punt returner as we can never have enough of those. Our mock drafts all indicate a love for safety's and wideouts. Our fanbase has been brainwashed by Ralph "inner circle".

:beer:

I'd rather replace Walker with Gross and keep Peters......getting rid of one and bringing in the other is spinning your wheels. Now if we have Peters, Mack and Gross......now, you'd be on to something

Um, Gross plays LT. I'm certain he would think playing RT is a "demotion." And what, we're going to pay 8 mil for a guy to play RT while were paying 11 mil for a guy to play LT? And why would he ever go somewhere to play RT when any number of teams would pay him to play LT? What? And don't forget the money were eating on Walkers contract?

While were at it, can we sign Peppers and Suggs too?

And don't forget the money were eating on Walkers contract?

I could be wrong, but I don't think they would lose much on Walker. He has played 2 seasons of a 5 year/25 million dollar contract. His salary isn't guaranteed so it would depend on the sixe of his bonus.

They might even gain cap space, or at least break even. It would depend on the size of his bonus.