Reports: Maybin to declare for draft

Someone posted Maybin was staying at Penn State the other day. Guess they were wrong.

Maybin is quite raw and needs to bulk up a lot, but he is the most talented DE in the draft now with more upside than any prospect. Personally, I think he should stay in college on more year, put on some weight, get better and become more polished. I think he could be the number one overall pick next year, but will have to "settle" for being a top ten, top 15 pick this year.

jeez guys, you don't stay away from a great pass rusher because they are small.

derrick thomas was undersized.

i dunno about his other foibles, or how he projects, but if he is a bit too small and great on the edge, you sign him.

good news! one more pass rusher in the mix in the first round. I'm a little concerned about his size (236 lbs!), though I guess a lot of pass rushers play in the low 240s even if they're listed 10 or 20 lbs heavier (according to Schobel).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft

According to ESPN, he's 250, Brown is 252, and Orakpo is 255. Not a big difference.

Someone posted Maybin was staying at Penn State the other day. Guess they were wrong.

Maybin is quite raw and needs to bulk up a lot, but he is the most talented DE in the draft now with more upside than any prospect. Personally, I think he should stay in college on more year, put on some weight, get better and become more polished. I think he could be the number one overall pick next year, but will have to "settle" for being a top ten, top 15 pick this year.

I'd have to disagree. There is no way I could see Maybin going top 15. Too much depth at DE in this draft that's ready to go to the next level and produce a lot quicker than Maybin.

The absolute highest I could see Maybin going in this draft is high 2nd round. As of right now, he's simply not cut to be an NFL DE. He needs to put on at least 20 pounds, or be drafted by a 3-4 defense and tansition to LB...and there are players in this draft that are ahead of him at that position as well.

I honestly think it was foolish of him to declare. We'll see.

jeez guys, you don't stay away from a great pass rusher because they are small.

derrick thomas was undersized.

i dunno about his other foibles, or how he projects, but if he is a bit too small and great on the edge, you sign him.

Yes. You do actually. His size would hardly show any improvements to our defense at all.

I'd have to disagree. There is no way I could see Maybin going top 15. Too much depth at DE in this draft that's ready to go to the next level and produce a lot quicker than Maybin.

The absolute highest I could see Maybin going in this draft is high 2nd round. As of right now, he's simply not cut to be an NFL DE. He needs to put on at least 20 pounds, or be drafted by a 3-4 defense and tansition to LB...and there are players in this draft that are ahead of him at that position as well.

I honestly think it was foolish of him to declare. We'll see.

I'm seeing top 10 and top 15 everywhere. The guy is athletic, and that's what you want from a DE.

I agree. If we employed a Wade Phillipps defense, perhaps a guy who weighs 236 would flourish ala Demarcus Ware. It would seem to me that he is the size of an average linebacker, not a DE.

We already have one at 236, Aaron Schobel. If a guy is highly athletic, you sign him. You might be able to put an extra 5 - 15 pounds on him if he's got the frame for it, a lot of guys do at his age. But the key is whether he can rush the passer. Tough guys at that size, especially when they're platooned, can get under the pads of the big guys and hold their gaps. Schobel is excellent at it.

I agree Deano, He has some growing to do still.

You may be right, but isn't it a break if we can get him at 11 this year, rather than see him picked top 3 next year? Not that this WOULD happen, but it's very possible.

I'm betting that the Bills are scrambling right now with orders to find out absolutely everything they can on this guy.

They say that Maybin needs to get stronger though. They also say that what separates him from the rest is the burst he has coming off of the edge. Once he gets an angle on the OT, it's over. His #'s are as awesome as Everett Brown's though. He had 49 tackles, 20 TFL, 12 sacks, 3 FF's, and he batted down 3 passes. The best thing about it is that he's going to be barely 21 years old when the draft happens. He'll be around for a good 10-15 years barring serious injury. I wouldn't call the guy a lock to be a Pro Bowl player, but he DEFINITELY has shown excellent potential.

Although I think his listed weight of 236 was from a while back, Maybin has 3 full months to put on weight and a combine full of useless drills to get everybody back on his bandwagon. Me personally, I hope the Bills go with the best available DE "on film" or DT BJ Raji. :rolleyes: If the best DE "on film" happens to be Maybin, make the pick. The guy has a very high ceiling not even being 21 yet and at the very least should kick Kelsay off the field in pass rushing situations this year!!! Hows that for good news!!!! :rolleyes::lol: