Reports: Maybin to declare for draft

I'd have to disagree. There is no way I could see Maybin going top 15. Too much depth at DE in this draft that's ready to go to the next level and produce a lot quicker than Maybin.

The absolute highest I could see Maybin going in this draft is high 2nd round. As of right now, he's simply not cut to be an NFL DE. He needs to put on at least 20 pounds, or be drafted by a 3-4 defense and tansition to LB...and there are players in this draft that are ahead of him at that position as well.

I honestly think it was foolish of him to declare. We'll see.

I've seen this and that about current players crabbing about fat rookie contracts, and owners tired of paying big bucks for unproven rookies.

I guess there is concern among college players (and agents) that rookie pay scales may go down in 2010 - so perhaps better for a junior to declare this year. I've no idea how that jives with the CBA repudiation.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigten/0-2-1082...nter-draft.html

Official announcement expected this week.

I haven't seen this on the board yet. He'd be my pick from the DEs that might be available.

Eh, I don't know. Maybin, Maybin not. :rolleyes:

jeez guys, you don't stay away from a great pass rusher because they are small.

derrick thomas was undersized.

i dunno about his other foibles, or how he projects, but if he is a bit too small and great on the edge, you sign him.

Derrick Thomas was a LB and I think that's what this kid will be unless he can bulk up to at least 260. BS played at approx. 275 during his career.

You may be right, but isn't it a break if we can get him at 11 this year, rather than see him picked top 3 next year? Not that this WOULD happen, but it's very possible.

I'm betting that the Bills are scrambling right now with orders to find out absolutely everything they can on this guy.

I'm sure the Bills have files on all juniors who might declare for the draft already. Believe me there is a lot more that goes on by the scouts than most people know.

Derrick Thomas was a LB and I think that's what this kid will be unless he can bulk up to at least 260. BS played at approx. 275 during his career.

Schobel played at about 236, including his best years. He claims that many of the DEs who list themselves at 270 are actually just about exactly his size, and he backed it up in an interview with Chris Brown. You can get it done at that size.

Schobel played at about 236, including his best years. He claims that many of the DEs who list themselves at 270 are actually just about exactly his size, and he backed it up in an interview with Chris Brown. You can get it done at that size.

yeah, Schobel was playing at about 5 to 10 lbs more than that and says that he talked to Usi Umenyiora about it and Usi was playing at right around that weight as well. It seems that the difference between pass rushing DEs and LBs has more to do with skill sets and maybe a little bit of height rather than just how much an athlete weighs.

Yes and Bruce Smith played his last few seasons with the Bills and all his years with Washington at 260 or less, not 275. I believe he was about 250 in his final season. The days of 275-280 lb. DE's are over when it comes to playing a 4-3. Don't go looking up what this and that guy weigh on team rosters either because those are very rarely ever correct. Almost all 4-3 ends are playing at or under 250 lbs. these days except for the rare freak like Peppers or Mario Williams.

I've seen this and that about current players crabbing about fat rookie contracts, and owners tired of paying big bucks for unproven rookies.

I guess there is concern among college players (and agents) that rookie pay scales may go down in 2010 - so perhaps better for a junior to declare this year. I've no idea how that jives with the CBA repudiation.

Wasn't Maybin a redshirt sophomore?

In my opinion, Maybin had one solid year, and is certainly a good prospect, but whatever team drafts this guy, they better be prepared for a hell of a learning curve/transition to the NFL with him. He's at least a 2 year project..just to get to starting caliber in the NFL (in my opinion).

I saw Maybin several times this season..and I don't know..he just looks soft in my opinion and undeveloped for the NFL. It would be ludicrous to take him anywhere in the 1st round..imo.

What you say about contracts could be an explanation for him delcaring...

Wasn't Maybin a redshirt sophomore?

In my opinion, Maybin had one solid year, and is certainly a good prospect, but whatever team drafts this guy, they better be prepared for a hell of a learning curve/transition to the NFL with him. He's at least a 2 year project..just to get to starting caliber in the NFL (in my opinion).

I saw Maybin several times this season..and I don't know..he just looks soft in my opinion and undeveloped for the NFL. It would be ludicrous to take him anywhere in the 1st round..imo.

What you say about contracts could be an explanation for him delcaring...

You are correct, he was a redshirt sophomore this year.

I'm a Penn State fan and I'm in the camp he should have took another year to develop. However, when you're slated to go in the top 7-15 picks it's hard to fault the guy. I hope I'm wrong and I hope he does great this year.