Jason Peters

I dont get the whole Jason Peters trade posts.

I understand Jason had a less than spectacular year this year. He held out for more money. But by almost all of the Buffalo News staff, respected people in the NFL, and opponents Jason Peters is the most talented player on the Bills. And he plays the LT position.

Everytime I read the trade Jason Peters posts I remember a few years ago with the board pinning for Walter Jones... Pay him any amount of money... trade 2 first round picks... Well we have a guy younger than Walter Jones who right now is considered one of the premier LT's in the game. Where have the Orlando Pace loving Walter Jones loving posters all gone? Jason Peters struggled last season. It is bound to happen when you miss camp. Get him signed to a long term deal that pays him what he is worth and lets move on. I have news for all those that want Peters gone. He is not the problem on this team. He is actually part of the solution. So lets focus on where our real problems lie... We have plenty of other players you can all run out of town before we get to Jason Peters......

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We do better without him

I believe I saw a stat on here where we were undefeated when he isn't playing

Did the stat include who we were playing? Because I think the Bills as a team were unbeaten vs teams with less than 3 wins all year. If only we could play teams with less than 3 wins all year long...

I understand Jason had a less than spectacular year this year. He held out for more money. But by almost all of the Buffalo News staff, respected people in the NFL, and opponents Jason Peters is the most talented player on the Bills. And he plays the LT position.

Everytime I read the trade Jason Peters posts I remember a few years ago with the board pinning for Walter Jones... Pay him any amount of money... trade 2 first round picks... Well we have a guy younger than Walter Jones who right now is considered one of the premier LT's in the game. Where have the Orlando Pace loving Walter Jones loving posters all gone? Jason Peters struggled last season. It is bound to happen when you miss camp. Get him signed to a long term deal that pays him what he is worth and lets move on. I have news for all those that want Peters gone. He is not the problem on this team. He is actually part of the solution. So lets focus on where our real problems lie... We have plenty of other players you can all run out of town before we get to Jason Peters......

I highly doubt Peters was really injured the last 2 games of the year. He blabbed to the media that he was upset that he hasn't received a new deal, then all of a sudden he's hurt...yeah right!! He did the exact same thing last year. Peters has no loyalty to his teammates or the organization that gave him a chance. Peters came here an undrafted, oversized TE. We took a chance on him and molded him into a pro-bowl left tackle and rewarded him with a contract extension. He was disgruntled and wanted more money so he decided to holdout which put him behind for the 1st half of the season. You didn't see Lee Evans holdout at anytime during his period here, Lee was told he would have a deal and the Bills FO got it done. Same thing with Schobel (even though I feel he got highly overpaid). The bottom line, whether we agree on the decsions or not is that the Bills will reward their good players. Peters held out last season and he'll do it again this season. Let's say he gets an extension, then in 2 or 3 years, he sees what other LT's in the league are getting paid, then he'll complain and hold out again. Yes, the argument is he is one of the best players on the team, but do you really want a guy that is going to complain when he feels he is not getting paid enough, then have questionable injuries afterwards, plus holdout?

Trade him and try to get multiple picks for him.

Good post. you do not trade a franchise LT in the prime of his career. Ever. Pay the man what he is worth & lets put this season behind us.

We do better without him

I believe I saw a stat on here where we were undefeated when he isn't playing

Yeah, because TBD is the ULTIMATE source to find stats like that. Use your head buddy, peters didnt play against new england the last game and we lost.

I highly doubt Peters was really injured the last 2 games of the year. He blabbed to the media that he was upset that he hasn't received a new deal, then all of a sudden he's hurt...yeah right!! He did the exact same thing last year. Peters has no loyalty to his teammates or the organization that gave him a chance. Peters came here an undrafted, oversized TE. We took a chance on him and molded him into a pro-bowl left tackle and rewarded him with a contract extension. He was disgruntled and wanted more money so he decided to holdout which put him behind for the 1st half of the season. You didn't see Lee Evans holdout at anytime during his period here, Lee was told he would have a deal and the Bills FO got it done. Same thing with Schobel (even though I feel he got highly overpaid). The bottom line, whether we agree on the decsions or not is that the Bills will reward their good players. Peters held out last season and he'll do it again this season. Let's say he gets an extension, then in 2 or 3 years, he sees what other LT's in the league are getting paid, then he'll complain and hold out again. Yes, the argument is he is one of the best players on the team, but do you really want a guy that is going to complain when he feels he is not getting paid enough, then have questionable injuries afterwards, plus holdout?

Trade him and try to get multiple picks for him.

Loyalty... I love how people think of Professional Football as a loyalty game. It is a business. Do teams have loyalty to players when they decline in play? No. They get cut and thrown to the street. I get that people here are fans.. But has anyone ever quit thier jobs on this board? No... Never.. Has anyone ever felt they were underpaid and left their job? Nooo.. right.. No one... This is a loyalty board. Football is a business. You dont like it. Watch High School.

Yeah multiple picks so we can draft a John McCargo or a JP Losman....

The thing about being a Bills fan is that without any glimmer of success in a decade, all you have to go for is spite. It feels to most of us like the Bills won't be a playoff team next year anyway, so might as well be a losing team who gave the finger to some guy who was acting like a jerk than a losing team who accomodated some guy who was acting like a jerk.

That's fine for fans to think; it's satisfying. It's when the front office acts that way that we find ourselves in such a long slide.

Loyalty... I love how people think of Professional Football as a loyalty game. It is a business. Do teams have loyalty to players when they decline in play? No. They get cut and thrown to the street. I get that people here are fans.. But has anyone ever quit thier jobs on this board? No... Never.. Has anyone ever felt they were underpaid and left their job? Nooo.. right.. No one... This is a loyalty board. Football is a business. You dont like it. Watch High School.

I wish when I was on active duty in the Marines that I could have been traded to the Air Force or stopped coming to work because I felt I wasn't getting paid enough.

I understand your points and draft picks are like gambling, you don't know what you're gonna get. But the Bills took Peters under their wing, gave him a chance and helped developed him into a pro-bowl LT. Also, they rewarded him with a contract extension well before it was up. If my employer did that for me, I would be very loyal.

The Bills were lucky enough to stumble upon a player like this, so they better keep him. Again, I believe Bobby April is to thank for having him on this team. He marvelled at his athleticism and I remember an interview where he was amazed that he went undrafted and they got him as a free agent.

Jason Peters was awesome at times this year, but not as good as last year, no doubt. But the real problem with this offensive line is Dockery. I'd say even moreso than the center (okay, maybe about the same). He is atrocious. I'm surprised more people don't mention this. Even putting aside his salary, he just hasn't been effective at all. Just seems like the kind of player that can only function with a kick in the ass from the coaches, which won't happen with our cadaverous coach.

I wish when I was on active duty in the Marines that I could have been traded to the Air Force or stopped coming to work because I felt I wasn't getting paid enough.

I understand your points and draft picks are like gambling, you don't know what you're gonna get. But the Bills took Peters under their wing, gave him a chance and helped developed him into a pro-bowl LT. Also, they rewarded him with a contract extension well before it was up. If my employer did that for me, I would be very loyal.

All fair points but as you said football is NOTHING like serving in the military. At least I hope not. I would hate to see your commander say well I am not sure what happened. It worked in training.... or Boy how about that weather today.

Yeah, it's a business. That being the case, let him honor his contract - or go flip burgers.

Yeah, but just like any business, the better you get at your job the more valuable you become and the more you should be paid. They extended him but not with the kind of extension you get as an elite LT. When he became one of the top LT in the game, his deal again was below market.

Everyone has to remember, any of these guys can have this career taken from them on any given play, just ask Kevin Everett about that. Then what? Look at Javon Walker in GB. He wanted a new deal, was gonna hold out...then didnt and tore his acl in like the first week of that season BEFORE he got his new deal. Lucky for him, Al Davis is an idiot and he eventually got his money, except he got it when he was no longer worth it.

These guys have a small window to make what they are worth before their age gets too high or injurys short change them. The NFL is a business and no one is more cut throat than the owners when it comes to cutting players.

Now I agree, holding out wasn't the best choice, but we don't know what was going on behind the scenes, what broken promises were there, or even what his agent was feeding him. Now, he reported and held up his end of the deal and hasnt even mentioned it since, so its time for the Bills FO to keep their end and rework his contract as they said they would if he reported.

Thank you .... all I will add is why make a roster problem where there is not one? Peters was stupid to have held out but the Bills were equally as stupid to think that they can get away with paying a premier player far below the market value for his position. Yeah they upped his deal once but that was when he played RT. Like it or not, LT's are paid considerably better. If the Bills stepped up before Peters had even thought about holding out they would have been able to re-up his contract for considerably less than what they will have to shell out today. The Bills have lost their leverage.

I agree with the poster. People on this forum don't know what they want.

Peters deserves the money, period.

He is one of the best left tackles in the league, and he'd be the starting left tackle on just about any team in the NFL. Not to mention the position he's playing is the most valuable to an offensive line.

We finally get a top notch offensive lineman, something we've been after for the longest time, and now people think he should be traded? And wait, it gets better...to be replaced by: Kirk Chambers??

I've said it before, and I've said it again: Jason Peters is not going anywhere, letting him go would be one of the biggest mistakes this team has ever made.

Yeah, but just like any business, the better you get at your job the more valuable you become and the more you should be paid. They extended him but not with the kind of extension you get as an elite LT. When he became one of the top LT in the game, his deal again was below market.

Everyone has to remember, any of these guys can have this career taken from them on any given play, just ask Kevin Everett about that. Then what? Look at Javon Walker in GB. He wanted a new deal, was gonna hold out...then didnt and tore his acl in like the first week of that season BEFORE he got his new deal. Lucky for him, Al Davis is an idiot and he eventually got his money, except he got it when he was no longer worth it.

These guys have a small window to make what they are worth before their age gets too high or injurys short change them. The NFL is a business and no one is more cut throat than the owners when it comes to cutting players.

Now I agree, holding out wasn't the best choice, but we don't know what was going on behind the scenes, what broken promises were there, or even what his agent was feeding him. Now, he reported and held up his end of the deal and hasnt even mentioned it since, so its time for the Bills FO to keep their end and rework his contract as they said they would if he reported.

Agreed, and every player in the league will look to see how Peters is treated. If you are a FA are you going to think about playing for a club that does not uphold its promises and fails to treat elite players with respect? Jason Peters used the wrong tactic - on the other hand, what other tools are available to him?

All fair points but as you said football is NOTHING like serving in the military. At least I hope not. I would hate to see your commander say well I am not sure what happened. It worked in training.... or Boy how about that weather today.

If you're late for work in the military, you can be charged UA (Unauthorized Absence). When I had to work at the brig for a month, there was a guy in there for being 37 minutes late to work. Imagine being late for your job and have to go to jail because of it.

Now if you didn't show up for 30 days, you were considered a deserter. The punishment I've seen for that was anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks in the brig, then you're placed on barracks restriction (pretty much the same as house arrest) until you were processed out (or if you were given the chance to finish the remainder of your contract). Usually it took 60 to 90 days to process a person out of the military.

Being a former MP (Military Police), we had to deal with a lot of deserters coming back (even guys from Vietnam).

Agreed, and every player in the league will look to see how Peters is treated. If you are a FA are you going to think about playing for a club that does not uphold its promises and fails to treat elite players with respect? Jason Peters used the wrong tactic - on the other hand, what other tools are available to him?

I think Peters would have received a new contract soon, but he went about it the wrong way which is why he hasn't received one as of yet. Even the Bills FO agreed that he was underpaid. The Bills FO took care of Evans, Schobel, Kelsay, McGee & Parrish and they all did business the right way.