Jason Peters

Right.

If you do trade him you will never get fair value.

Peters is comparable.. Better IMO than Joe Thomas and Jake Long... Drafted 1st overall and 3rd overall in the last two drafts. We drafted Fat Mike Williams 4th and paid him a ton of money. Pay the man. That is what I am saying.. Pay the man what he is worth and be done with it. I just dont get the trade posts. This board would have traded thurman for a mid 1st round pick in his prime...

Yep. Gotta keep him until they have equivalent or better. I don't see such.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I do like Peters, I think the Bills should be weighing all options on the table including what a trade could do for the team. Heck, I'd even think about trading Whitner for a 2nd rounder and put in Alvin Bowen at SS (he's too small to play linebacker) with Bryan Scott at FS.

Could they get a high to mid first round pick? Let's just say that they were able to trade for San Francisco's 10th pick before ours. We could then go ahead and draft a highly ranked top defensive end then trade down the other pick to the mid twenties of the first round and draft the center Mack or a top TE. Then they would have two 2nd rounders (three with a Whitner trade) to draft which ever position out of OC or TE that they didn't pick in the first round (Luigs, Coffman) and have a quality pick for OL or another DE.

Move Walker to LT, use the money that would be needed for the Peters contract on free agents RT Stinchcomb and LB Vilma.

At first it may sound crazy to trade Peters but think about the possibilities doing so could bring the Bills. This could be an opportunity for the Bills to fix the whole starting roster and not come up short in a few spots like we always seem to be. That being said, it's not necessarily a bad move to sign him up long term either.

Walker is so fat that he can barely move well enough to play RT. He is a good pass blocker when he can engage his man, but he isn't all that against the run. He is simply too slow. At LT, he would be hard pressed to stop the speed rushing DEs that weigh 100-120 pounds less than him and are twice as fast.

Peters is a top LT in this league, and sane franchises don't trade these guys. How many trades involving top LTs can you remember in the last 20 years? If Ralph trades Peters, it will be due to him pocketing the big salary that he deserves, not to help the team.

And btw, there is zero possibility of the Bills getting a first round pick for Whitner. None whatsoever.

The Bills do not hold all the leverage. Did the Bills hold the leverage in training camp?

Why, yes, they did.

How did the Jason Peters hold out work out for the Bills this last year?

Well, let's see...hmmm....the Bills didn't give him any more $$$, while FatBoy eventually had to eat humble pie and show up, so I guess it worked out OK for the Bills, no?

He can do it again next year and the final year of his contract. Then he can walk or wait and be franchised.

So he can hold out 'til he eventually has to cave or earn zilch, then get franchised - yeah, yer right, FatBoy's got lots of leverage! :unsure:

I dont get the whole Jason Peters trade posts.

I understand Jason had a less than spectacular year this year. He held out for more money. But by almost all of the Buffalo News staff, respected people in the NFL, and opponents Jason Peters is the most talented player on the Bills. And he plays the LT position.

Everytime I read the trade Jason Peters posts I remember a few years ago with the board pinning for Walter Jones... Pay him any amount of money... trade 2 first round picks... Well we have a guy younger than Walter Jones who right now is considered one of the premier LT's in the game. Where have the Orlando Pace loving Walter Jones loving posters all gone? Jason Peters struggled last season. It is bound to happen when you miss camp. Get him signed to a long term deal that pays him what he is worth and lets move on. I have news for all those that want Peters gone. He is not the problem on this team. He is actually part of the solution. So lets focus on where our real problems lie... We have plenty of other players you can all run out of town before we get to Jason Peters......

anyone who wants to trade a young stud all pro LT is a total moron especially over money issues. pay the freaking guy. want to blame someone blame the lack of a competent center . we basically played the year with 4 offensive linemen because both of our centers are a disgrace.

watch how different this line would look like with a dominant center.

IMO thats our #1 priority in the off season along with a TE,OLB and another pass rusher. i still think we will be big players in free agency they have no choice.

Why, yes, they did.

Well, let's see...hmmm....the Bills didn't give him any more $$$, while FatBoy eventually had to eat humble pie and show up, so I guess it worked out OK for the Bills, no?

So he can hold out 'til he eventually has to cave or earn zilch, then get franchised - yeah, yer right, FatBoy's got lots of leverage! :unsure:

yeah.. leveraged him and the team to a brilliant 7-9 season. worked out wonderfully. oh wait.

The thing about being a Bills fan is that without any glimmer of success in a decade, all you have to go for is spite. It feels to most of us like the Bills won't be a playoff team next year anyway, so might as well be a losing team who gave the finger to some guy who was acting like a jerk than a losing team who accomodated some guy who was acting like a jerk.

That's fine for fans to think; it's satisfying. It's when the front office acts that way that we find ourselves in such a long slide.

well said...

I dont get the whole Jason Peters trade posts.

I understand Jason had a less than spectacular year this year. He held out for more money. But by almost all of the Buffalo News staff, respected people in the NFL, and opponents Jason Peters is the most talented player on the Bills. And he plays the LT position.

Everytime I read the trade Jason Peters posts I remember a few years ago with the board pinning for Walter Jones... Pay him any amount of money... trade 2 first round picks... Well we have a guy younger than Walter Jones who right now is considered one of the premier LT's in the game. Where have the Orlando Pace loving Walter Jones loving posters all gone? Jason Peters struggled last season. It is bound to happen when you miss camp. Get him signed to a long term deal that pays him what he is worth and lets move on. I have news for all those that want Peters gone. He is not the problem on this team. He is actually part of the solution. So lets focus on where our real problems lie... We have plenty of other players you can all run out of town before we get to Jason Peters......

I agree completly Indy, while Peters had a subpar year, I think we all know that missing training camp/preaseason affected his play. He's one of the better players we have on this team.

You don't just go out and replace a LT that easily. I think some people forget how it was before Peters took over at LT.

The Bills have enough glaring needs on the roster. Lock Peters up and focus on the other stuff. Peters can be solid at that position for years to come. It would be nice to actually have some stability there, not worry about it for anohter 5-8 years, keep working on solidifying their defensive front, getting some playmakers, and improving overall

and would peters then return his signing bonus? just to keep it in perspective. :P

:unsure:

The current Peters hate is orchestrated by Brandon as his response to diverting attention from the big Dick fiasco.

The Bills have not spent resources on LT since Will Wolford left town more than 15 years ago.

Instead of taking advantage of their good luck at finding the cheapest pro bowl LT in the league, they are more concerned with how to maintain the cheapest deal possible.

There are 2 reasons why there is a salary issue with Peters.

1. Since the Bills lucked into Peters as an undrafted free agent, they spent no draft picks and paid no big upfront signing bonus if they had used a high draft pick. So his contract is unusually low due to his salary history.

2. Because the bills ignored the OL for 10 years, it had degraded to a useless mess. Thus, Marv spent huge money on 2 marginal talents in Walker and Dockery just to field a functional unit.

Peters salary is now a fraction of what is being paid it 2 other OL players who are not as good as he is.

Instead of correcting this salary inequity, Brandon conducts a smear campaign instead of coming up with a contract solution which gets his Pro Bowl LT paid in line with league averages and his own teammates on the OL.

Just pay the guy.

The thing about being a Bills fan is that without any glimmer of success in a decade, all you have to go for is spite. It feels to most of us like the Bills won't be a playoff team next year anyway, so might as well be a losing team who gave the finger to some guy who was acting like a jerk than a losing team who accomodated some guy who was acting like a jerk.

That's fine for fans to think; it's satisfying. It's when the front office acts that way that we find ourselves in such a long slide.

I missed this. What a perfect post!!! :unsure::P:wallbash:

I never quite thought of it from this perspective, and this certainly goes a long way to explain much of the Trent bashing. Seriously, thank you for this.

The missed point here is that his contract extension was granted when he played RT. He was moved to left and named to the probowl. The Bills could hve cut this thing off at the pass by simply being proactive. When Peters began to play solidly as a LT they should have approached his agent and said - "we have cap space and we would like to do what is fair for jason given his move and performance at LT. Let's work on an agreement that pays him accordingly and keeps him happy in a Bills uniform for years to come."

No holdout and no harm done.

As far as I'm aware, there was a clause in that contract which gives Peters extra $$$ when he starts at LT. This places him amongst the good LTs in terms of how much money he earns($4.8mil from memory). The problem was that he improved past that level of player.....and very quickly too.

I totally agree with you in that I too think we should pay him his worth so we can have a top LT on the Bills for the foreseeable future.

I'm not sure how eventually franchising Peters will save the Bills money or be shoving his face in it. :unsure:

His base salary would more than quadruple when he gets franchised and because of the bad blood the front office is promoting, the Peters camp is definitely not going to be the one trying hard to work out a long term deal. Since a team only has one franchise tag, the Bills could easily be forced to decide between Peters and another player. Seems like a classic Buffalo Bills strategy though ... heck, it might be the new ownership's problem so fug it.

I highly doubt Peters was really injured the last 2 games of the year. He blabbed to the media that he was upset that he hasn't received a new deal, then all of a sudden he's hurt...yeah right!! He did the exact same thing last year. Peters has no loyalty to his teammates or the organization that gave him a chance. Peters came here an undrafted, oversized TE. We took a chance on him and molded him into a pro-bowl left tackle and rewarded him with a contract extension. He was disgruntled and wanted more money so he decided to holdout which put him behind for the 1st half of the season. You didn't see Lee Evans holdout at anytime during his period here, Lee was told he would have a deal and the Bills FO got it done. Same thing with Schobel (even though I feel he got highly overpaid). The bottom line, whether we agree on the decsions or not is that the Bills will reward their good players. Peters held out last season and he'll do it again this season. Let's say he gets an extension, then in 2 or 3 years, he sees what other LT's in the league are getting paid, then he'll complain and hold out again. Yes, the argument is he is one of the best players on the team, but do you really want a guy that is going to complain when he feels he is not getting paid enough, then have questionable injuries afterwards, plus holdout?

Trade him and try to get multiple picks for him.

When we're 25-30 million under the cap, who cares... not like it affects your profit margin. pay the guy a reasonable/fair offer, and move forward.

Great post :unsure: