Jason Peters

I dont get the whole Jason Peters trade posts.

I understand Jason had a less than spectacular year this year. He held out for more money. But by almost all of the Buffalo News staff, respected people in the NFL, and opponents Jason Peters is the most talented player on the Bills. And he plays the LT position.

Everytime I read the trade Jason Peters posts I remember a few years ago with the board pinning for Walter Jones... Pay him any amount of money... trade 2 first round picks... Well we have a guy younger than Walter Jones who right now is considered one of the premier LT's in the game. Where have the Orlando Pace loving Walter Jones loving posters all gone? Jason Peters struggled last season. It is bound to happen when you miss camp. Get him signed to a long term deal that pays him what he is worth and lets move on. I have news for all those that want Peters gone. He is not the problem on this team. He is actually part of the solution. So lets focus on where our real problems lie... We have plenty of other players you can all run out of town before we get to Jason Peters......

very well said.

let's start with the George Wilsons, Keith Ellisons, Chris Kelsays, Robert Royals, Ko "The Million Dollar Man" Simpson, etc. etc. and work our way up to the guy that virtually every defender in the NFL would tell you is one of the top OTs in the game.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish when I was on active duty in the Marines that I could have been traded to the Air Force or stopped coming to work because I felt I wasn't getting paid enough.

I understand your points and draft picks are like gambling, you don't know what you're gonna get. But the Bills took Peters under their wing, gave him a chance and helped developed him into a pro-bowl LT. Also, they rewarded him with a contract extension well before it was up. If my employer did that for me, I would be very loyal.

The missed point here is that his contract extension was granted when he played RT. He was moved to left and named to the probowl. The Bills could hve cut this thing off at the pass by simply being proactive. When Peters began to play solidly as a LT they should have approached his agent and said - "we have cap space and we would like to do what is fair for jason given his move and performance at LT. Let's work on an agreement that pays him accordingly and keeps him happy in a Bills uniform for years to come."

No holdout and no harm done.

Thank you .... all I will add is why make a roster problem where there is not one? Peters was stupid to have held out but the Bills were equally as stupid to think that they can get away with paying a premier player far below the market value for his position. Yeah they upped his deal once but that was when he played RT. Like it or not, LT's are paid considerably better. If the Bills stepped up before Peters had even thought about holding out they would have been able to re-up his contract for considerably less than what they will have to shell out today. The Bills have lost their leverage.

Actually the Bills have excellent leverage, and all of it too. Peters still has 2 years on his contract, and didn't finish the last two seasons due to injury. He can hold out, and the Bills will wait him out again. I'd say this is the year he's gotta show up for OTAs and camp, and play out of his cleats all season long to earn the extension he thinks he deserves.

Yeah, it's a business. That being the case, let him honor his contract - or go flip burgers.

you do realize that his employer doesn't have to honor his half of the contract, right? he could cut Peters tomorrow and not owe him his salary. keep it in perspective.

Actually the Bills have excellent leverage, and all of it too. Peters still has 2 years on his contract, and didn't finish the last two seasons due to injury. He can hold out, and the Bills will wait him out again. I'd say this is the year he's gotta show up for OTAs and camp, and play out of his cleats all season long to earn the extension he thinks he deserves.

true, the Bills do have leverage. That said, if Peters shows up for OTAs and training camp, he'll probably get a deal before the season.

I understand Jason had a less than spectacular year this year. He held out for more money. But by almost all of the Buffalo News staff, respected people in the NFL, and opponents Jason Peters is the most talented player on the Bills. And he plays the LT position.

Everytime I read the trade Jason Peters posts I remember a few years ago with the board pinning for Walter Jones... Pay him any amount of money... trade 2 first round picks... Well we have a guy younger than Walter Jones who right now is considered one of the premier LT's in the game. Where have the Orlando Pace loving Walter Jones loving posters all gone? Jason Peters struggled last season. It is bound to happen when you miss camp. Get him signed to a long term deal that pays him what he is worth and lets move on. I have news for all those that want Peters gone. He is not the problem on this team. He is actually part of the solution. So lets focus on where our real problems lie... We have plenty of other players you can all run out of town before we get to Jason Peters......

Though I do like Peters, I think the Bills should be weighing all options on the table including what a trade could do for the team. Heck, I'd even think about trading Whitner for a 2nd rounder and put in Alvin Bowen at SS (he's too small to play linebacker) with Bryan Scott at FS.

Could they get a high to mid first round pick? Let's just say that they were able to trade for San Francisco's 10th pick before ours. We could then go ahead and draft a highly ranked top defensive end then trade down the other pick to the mid twenties of the first round and draft the center Mack or a top TE. Then they would have two 2nd rounders (three with a Whitner trade) to draft which ever position out of OC or TE that they didn't pick in the first round (Luigs, Coffman) and have a quality pick for OL or another DE.

Move Walker to LT, use the money that would be needed for the Peters contract on free agents RT Stinchcomb and LB Vilma.

At first it may sound crazy to trade Peters but think about the possibilities doing so could bring the Bills. This could be an opportunity for the Bills to fix the whole starting roster and not come up short in a few spots like we always seem to be. That being said, it's not necessarily a bad move to sign him up long term either.

Depends on whether the Bills want to keep him beyond the current two years in his contract. If they do I still believe my point is valid. If they do not yours is. He is not likely to stay with the Bills long-term if he believes they screw him with a RT contract. Especially after they committed to redoing his deal.

He played this year. If I was him I would seriously consider doing exactly what he did this year if the Bills do not redo the deal. the point was made earlier - this is a business and If I am him, I try to get fair market value for my position and play as soon as I can.

Depends on whether the Bills want to keep him beyond the current two years in his contract. If they do I still believe my point is valid. If they do not yours is. He is not likely to stay with the Bills long-term if he believes they screw him with a RT contract. Especially after they committed to redoing his deal.

He played this year. If I was him I would seriously consider doing exactly what he did this year if the Bills do not redo the deal. the point was made earlier - this is a business and If I am him, I try to get fair market value for my position and play as soon as I can.

i'd just like to see it resolved, one way or another - i.e., trade or renegotiation, before it becomes a holdout and a major distraction again this year. my gut-feel says he'll be traded.

and would peters then return his signing bonus? just to keep it in perspective. :unsure:

Cut him then...

Then wait about 2 days and see what the mega million dollar amount NFL teams offer Jason Peters? It might shock you that 25-30 other teams will offer him more than he is currently making.

I've never gone that far as to say "trade Peters," but I understand the sentiment. We feel gypped. The guy gets a new deal. Then he holds out clammoring for more money, yet never tells anyone anything. Then he reports and plays like crap for a few games and sits out others due to injury.

Are we a better team with Peters? Yes.

Does he deserve more money? Yes.

But are we still bitter and still hate his guts? Yes.

The problem is that the Bills are constrained by the standard language of NFL contracts and the latest CBA. Peters can dishonor his contract, and the Bills' recourse is strictly limited by what the other owners agreed to (Ralph did vote against this, but probably not over this point). They can fine him a certain amount every day. That's it. Well, they can fire him, but they can't keep him from then getting another job.

The holdout issue needs to be addressed, but the Bills can't win the war here. They need to get the league to adopt a solution.

I've never gone that far as to say "trade Peters," but I understand the sentiment. We feel gypped. The guy gets a new deal. Then he holds out clammoring for more money, yet never tells anyone anything. Then he reports and plays like crap for a few games and sits out others due to injury.

Are we a better team with Peters? Yes.

Does he deserve more money? Yes.

But are we am I still bitter and still hate his guts? Yes.

fixed that for you.

Cut him then...

Then wait about 2 days and see what the mega million dollar amount NFL teams offer Jason Peters? It might shock you that 25-30 other teams will offer him more than he is currently making.

Well that's just stupid - obviously he won't be cut with 2 years left on his current contract. Not even Jauron would do that. The Bills hold all the leverage, so he'll either be traded, get a better deal, or go though another bitter holdout. Those are the options.

Well that's just stupid - obviously he won't be cut with 2 years left on his current contract. Not even Jauron would do that. The Bills hold all the leverage, so he'll either be traded, get a better deal, or go though another bitter holdout. Those are the options.

The Bills do not hold all the leverage. Did the Bills hold the leverage in training camp? How did the Jason Peters hold out work out for the Bills this last year? He can do it again next year and the final year of his contract. Then he can walk or wait and be franchised.

He wasn't saying that the Bills should cut Peters, at least I don't think he was...

I think the point was that if you want to know how valuable a player teams around the league consider Peters to be, contemlate this scenario: the Bills cut him...there'd be 25 teams lined up to pay him top dollar as a LT.

And it's a valid point.

He wasn't saying that the Bills should cut Peters, at least I don't think he was...

I think the point was that if you want to know how valuable a player teams around the league consider Peters to be, contemlate this scenario: the Bills cut him...there'd be 25 teams lined up to pay him top dollar as a LT.

And it's a valid point.

Right.

If you do trade him you will never get fair value.

Peters is comparable.. Better IMO than Joe Thomas and Jake Long... Drafted 1st overall and 3rd overall in the last two drafts. We drafted Fat Mike Williams 4th and paid him a ton of money. Pay the man. That is what I am saying.. Pay the man what he is worth and be done with it. I just dont get the trade posts. This board would have traded thurman for a mid 1st round pick in his prime...