Did Kelly Retire too soon?

How old are you? 12?

Flutie played in the CFL. Kelly was with the Houston Gamblers of the USFL

I think I could ask you the same thing, you come off as an ignorant jackass with that comment. It was a simple typo/brain fart. Yes I know that Kelly played in the USFL, I have no idea why I typed CFL, mistakes happen. I usually don't proofread my posts and I leave the Bills messageboards on in the background of my computer and post here and there whenever I have time and usually I am also doing something else in the background so the occasional lapse will happen but I am sorry if I offended your brilliant knowledge of the Buffalo Bills history.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I could ask you the same thing, you come off as an ignorant jackass with that comment. It was a simple typo/brain fart. Yes I know that Kelly played in the USFL, I have no idea why I typed CFL, mistakes happen. I usually don't proofread my posts and I leave the Bills messageboards on in the background of my computer and post here and there whenever I have time and usually I am also doing something else in the background so the occasional lapse will happen but I am sorry if I offended your brilliant knowledge of the Buffalo Bills history.

Sorry, but with a screen name like BillsPride, you shouldn't be making mistakes like that. <_<

I have seen lots of youngsters on this board sating that the recent teams have been the worst in Bills history,. Most weren't even born yet in 84 or 85. First game I remember watching was the 65 AFL Championship, which was the first color TV show I watched.

If I recall correctly Jim Kelly wanted to keep playing somewhere other then buffalo when he wasn't going to be resigned and was looking at all sorts of teams. Marv levy talked him out of going elsewhere with the thought that he was a shoo in for the HoF and playing elsewhere would just delay his induction and / or perhaps hurt his stats for eligibility,so he retired a Buffalo Bill

I do not recall Kelly having a particularly bad season and I wonder if a team that relied less on Kelly might have won with him.

Still, it's a long time ago and I do not remember the circumstances of his retirement outside of him having a hot stretch, the team then barely making the playoffs before the heartbreaking loss to Jax after a questionable fumble.

yes, maybe a year or two. the real question that needs to be asked is why they didn't stay with his replacement todd collins longer. his play last year for redskins showed him to be better than all the other QBs they tried since. could have helped the bills build out the team in other areas if they hadn't been searching for a QB all these years.

If Kelly was ready to retire, then he retired at the right time...

But, I'm sure he could have played a few more years. He was only 36 when he retired. He would have been better - even at his advanced age - then:

Todd Collins

Billy Joe Hobert

Alex V.P.

Rob Johnson

etc.

Imagine what he would have been like with Moulds, Price, Reed, Thurman, and even Remiersma (SP?)???

Remember Billie Joey getting cut mid-season for admitting not knowing the playbook when he was called into action...I miss leadership.

I always will remember the 1995 season fondly. Kelly was putting up good numbers with Copeland, Tasker, among others as his main receivers. Maybe Flutie in 1998, but I cannot remember the last time we had a QB who made average receivers look amazingly competent.

bledsoe made billy brooks and peerless price look like all pros. man could that guy throw the rock..

yes, maybe a year or two. the real question that needs to be asked is why they didn't stay with his replacement todd collins longer. his play last year for redskins showed him to be better than all the other QBs they tried since. could have helped the bills build out the team in other areas if they hadn't been searching for a QB all these years.

I haven't thought about this in a while... but I seriously agree. I don't know why, but I always thought Todd had a great sense of ball placement, threw a tight spiral, and a quiet confidence about him. Hell he orchestrated the greatest Bills comeback in regular season(Bills) history, 26 points. If you look at the bags of crap that have played the position since him, he looks like he might have won more games for the franchise.

Kelly's play had deteriorated. He was still serviceable but because of his class and pride, unlike a guy like Jerry Rice for example, retired to keep his legacy intact. <_<

If that is what you want to believe.....Truth is they wanted to see what they had in Collins and were not going to extend Jimbo. Then Ralph paid Jimbo off to retire and not sign with another team.

What stood out for me was the belt he took in that last playoff game. I thought as highly I thought of him as a qb (the best the bills ever had...and I've seen them all) he was going to get very seriously hurt if he kept playing. As someone said, his shoulder was going and he was never very mobile...and believe me mobility goes with age. He left at the right time.

kelly was a physical wreck by age 35.He could barely move his arm back to throw. Kind of like the tin man. Elway had escaped major injuries and still had an arm into his late 30s

This is exactly right. The big difference between Kelly & the two other HOF QBs late in their career is Kelly lost his fastball while marino & Elway still had decent arms at that stage of their careers. I remember Kelly had trouble making that 15yrd out pass his last season & I think Theisman even mentioned it on the air on a sunday night game against SF at the stick. Kelly probably could of played another year or two but he was pretty much done when he retired. I think he knew it too.

Remember Billie Joey getting cut mid-season for admitting not knowing the playbook when he was called into action...I miss leadership.

He was cut immediately after that game.

Oh Magoo, you've done it again.

kelly was a physical wreck by age 35.He could barely move his arm back to throw. Kind of like the tin man.

not to mention the chronic knee problems going back to his days at the u - tore his mcl while with the gamblers, played with two bionic knee braces most of his career, etc.

Kelly wanted to keep playing, but Ralph said he wasn't going to resign him, and why would he, he had Todd Collins on the sidelines to guide us into the future (yeah right, how did that turn out?). But showing the class that he usually does, he opted to retire as a Bill instead of going anywhere else (although a year later he came close to playing for Ted Marchibroda in Baltimore). His play did in fact decline so it probably was the right time to retire, although if he stuck around another year or two, he still would have been as good as half the QBs in the league. I was really pissed at the time that Ralph turned his back on him, although looking back, part of me is glad now, all we have is pretty much good memories of his years in Buffalo. Haven't had too many of them since!