Did Kelly Retire too soon?

I do not recall Kelly having a particularly bad season and I wonder if a team that relied less on Kelly might have won with him.

Still, it's a long time ago and I do not remember the circumstances of his retirement outside of him having a hot stretch, the team then barely making the playoffs before the heartbreaking loss to Jax after a questionable fumble.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly's play had deteriorated. He was still serviceable but because of his class and pride, unlike a guy like Jerry Rice for example, retired to keep his legacy intact. :lol:

That and he was going to be cut/not offered a new contract. Kelly retired at the perfect time. A modern example would have been Favre two years ago. He had a so-so year and the writing was on the wall that he was done. Had he retired then, as Kelly did in 98, he would have ridden off into the sunset. The only problem with my example is that favre actually played brilliantly last year before turning into Namath '77 this year. Kelly's hand was forced into retirement. Only hindsight proves that this was a brilliant move by the bills and kelly.

I do not recall Kelly having a particularly bad season and I wonder if a team that relied less on Kelly might have won with him.

Still, it's a long time ago and I do not remember the circumstances of his retirement outside of him having a hot stretch, the team then barely making the playoffs before the heartbreaking loss to Jax after a questionable fumble.

kelly was a physical wreck by age 35.He could barely move his arm back to throw. Kind of like the tin man. Elway had escaped major injuries and still had an arm into his late 30s

I was barely a teenager back then, so my memory is fuzzy, but I recall the offense exploding for a nice win streak in the middle of that season after the brought back the no-huddle for one last hurrah.

Was he really done at that point?

At some level, I kind of wish he had stayed too long rather than left too early if I had to choose.

I was at Kelly's last game---the playoff shocker against the Jags in which Natrone Means ran for what seemed like a thousand yards that day. He endured another concussion and that was pretty much it for him. Kelly was clearly on the downswing of his career, and he likely would have been falling even further had he continued playing. I clearly remember the announcers who kept talking about him having the mentality that he always had to make certain throws, but he no longer had the physical ability to do it, and how it was really hard for a competitor like him to accept it....

I was at Kelly's last game---the playoff shocker against the Jags in which Natrone Means ran for what seemed like a thousand yards that day. He endured another concussion and that was pretty much it for him. Kelly was clearly on the downswing of his career, and he likely would have been falling even further had he continued playing. I clearly remember the announcers who kept talking about him having the mentality that he always had to make certain throws, but he no longer had the physical ability to do it, and how it was really hard for a competitor like him to accept it....

I always will remember the 1995 season fondly. Kelly was putting up good numbers with Copeland, Tasker, among others as his main receivers. Maybe Flutie in 1998, but I cannot remember the last time we had a QB who made average receivers look amazingly competent.

If Kelly was ready to retire, then he retired at the right time...

But, I'm sure he could have played a few more years. He was only 36 when he retired. He would have been better - even at his advanced age - then:

Todd Collins

Billy Joe Hobert

Alex V.P.

Rob Johnson

etc.

Imagine what he would have been like with Moulds, Price, Reed, Thurman, and even Remiersma (SP?)???

Instead of sticking around for a couple years longer, I wish he would've joined the Bills the year after he was drafted instead of wasting two years in the CFL. Sometimes I wonder if that would've made any impact, maybe getting the Bills kicked into gear a year earlier than their run started and if maybe it would've had enough of an impact where we actually could've won a Super Bowl.

A Kelly season in '97 would have been ugly. He would still have been better than the chumps we brought in, but not enough to make a playoff run. And by '98, he'd be lucky if he could still walk and talk at the same time.

absolutely

Instead of sticking around for a couple years longer, I wish he would've joined the Bills the year after he was drafted instead of wasting two years in the CFL. Sometimes I wonder if that would've made any impact, maybe getting the Bills kicked into gear a year earlier than their run started and if maybe it would've had enough of an impact where we actually could've won a Super Bowl.

How old are you? 12?

Flutie played in the CFL. Kelly was with the Houston Gamblers of the USFL

Paradoxically, Kelly coming to the Bills in 1983 might have prevented the Bills Super Bowl run. A few more wins in 1984 means no Bruce Smith, and the defense never rises to the same heights. Maybe draw out the Stephenson or Bullough era, and then there's no Marv Levy.

I always will remember the 1995 season fondly. Kelly was putting up good numbers with Copeland, Tasker, among others as his main receivers. Maybe Flutie in 1998, but I cannot remember the last time we had a QB who made average receivers look amazingly competent.

the amazingly athletic but aging and non strong armed Flutie was the last real winner we had here at QB since Kelly.

It's a shame we couldn't get our hands on some games from the 1995 regular season. I'd love to see Kelly with that wide receiver line-up. I remember very little about that season, only the playoff game against the Jaguars.

Of course with copyright laws there isn't much footage out there on Youtube or any other site that I'm aware of. I went to the Bills store and they don't sell any DVD's. I went to NFL.com and the only DVD available of the Bills is the comeback game which I've seen 10 million times.

I like the format of the 'game of the week' on the NFL network where they cut all of the garbage out and the plays are one after another. Too bad they don't do this for old games. Not that there's a huge market out there for Buffalo Bills games in the 95' regular season, but I for one, would love to have access to some games. Why doesn't the NFL do more with old footage?

As I remember it, he was having real problems with his arm strength later in the season, his last couple years.The last season he played, I recall his arm was fine the first couple games and then he progressively lost velocity. The other thing that was going on is the quality of the offensive line had gone down quite a bit and Kelly was being hit a lot. I suppose he could of asked for a trade to another team but I think he wanted to retire a Bill.