Leinart

I'm not saying by any means that Trent is a bust, nor am I saying that Whitner hasn't been good, but I am wondering...if we could go back in time, how many of you would draft Leinart instead of Whitner. I like Whitner, but at the pick he was taken, has he really made that much of a difference. Leinart has a great arm, and could have become the face of the franchise. Thoughts?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying by any means that Trent is a bust, nor am I saying that Whitner hasn't been good, but I am wondering...if we could go back in time, how many of you would draft Leinart instead of Whitner. I like Whitner, but at the pick he was taken, has he really made that much of a difference. Leinart has a great arm, and could have become the face of the franchise. Thoughts?

I don't think anybody can answer that question yet. I don't know if Trent can turn it around and be a franchise QB,he showed flashes earlier in the season but I now have my doubts. Leinart has never really impressed me. I think it's possible both end up career backups.

Right now, I would say it is a toss-up. Quarterback is definitely the more important of the two positions, but it is safe to say that "thus far" Whitner and Leinart both have underachieved for sure. From what I've read and heard from the media, I think Whitner is more mature out of the two. Leinart has come across as a "pretty boy" with a questionable work ethic and focus on the game.

I remember watching this draft. One of the analysts (unfortunately I don't remember which one) said that Buffalo wasn't interested in Leinart for several reasons. 1) We still believed in Losman. (Yikes!) 2) The Bills didn't want to put a lot of money into another quarterback. (Makes sense plus adding Ralph Wilson into the equation). Buffalo wanted a quarterback with a stronger arm and could handle the cold weather home games at the end of the season. (Edwards appears to have the stronger arm, but he obviously also is a California quarterback.)

I knew more about Leinart and I didn't think too highly of Losman when this draft was held, so I would've preferred Leinart to Whitner had I had the choice of drafting either one. Now, I think it is a wash. We really won't know until Leinart either shows he is a bust or until Kurt Warner is either injured/supplanted or retired. A great question. A better question to ask again in two years!

--Nightcrawler

Right now, I would say it is a toss-up. Quarterback is definitely the more important of the two positions, but it is safe to say that "thus far" Whitner and Leinart both have underachieved for sure. From what I've read and heard from the media, I think Whitner is more mature out of the two. Leinart has come across as a "pretty boy" with a questionable work ethic and focus on the game.

I remember watching this draft. One of the analysts (unfortunately I don't remember which one) said that Buffalo wasn't interested in Leinart for several reasons. 1) We still believed in Losman. (Yikes!) 2) The Bills didn't want to put a lot of money into another quarterback. (Makes sense plus adding Ralph Wilson into the equation). Buffalo wanted a quarterback with a stronger arm and could handle the cold weather home games at the end of the season. (Edwards appears to have the stronger arm, but he obviously also is a California quarterback.)

I knew more about Leinart and I didn't think too highly of Losman when this draft was held, so I would've preferred Leinart to Whitner had I had the choice of drafting either one. Now, I think it is a wash. We really won't know until Leinart either shows he is a bust or until Kurt Warner is either injured/supplanted or retired. A great question. A better question to ask again in two years!

--Nightcrawler

Cutler was head and shoulders above anybody else that year at QB.

C

Cutler was head and shoulders above anybody else that year at QB.

C

It's easy to say that now,but I remember at the time that was not a universally accepted fact. Cutler had a HORRIBLE won-loss record in college. He was a guy that obviously had the measurables but never was a winner.

Whitner would have been a fantastic pick (and still could be) if the Bills earnestly did something about creating a pass rush. One legit pass rusher on a team isn't going to cut it, especially when he gets hurt.

Everybody talks about the Bills ignoring the o-line, but ignoring the d-line, in particular DE, has gone back to Donahoe's brilliant drafts.

The only player I'm interested in going back in time and drafting from that draft is Ngata.

Not so sure why so many on this board agree with this thought. He is not and was not a fit for our scheme. B-t-w this is not a post in favor of the toothless Tampa defense - I happen to hate it. But back to the point - does no good to draft players that are not likely to be succesful in your scheme.

it seemed like the Bills rightly determined that Leinart was a lazy spoiled bum with a flaccid arm. Whitner is a defensive leader, played hurt most of the year. He was named a team captain at the age of 23! He's still only 23! The dude could easily be pro-bowl quality with a couple more years of getting stronger and refining technique (a pass rush would be vital here).

It's easy to say that now,but I remember at the time that was not a universally accepted fact. Cutler had a HORRIBLE won-loss record in college. He was a guy that obviously had the measurables but never was a winner.

Same with Edwards.

:cry::censored: :censored: :censored::wallbash: :wallbash:

The guy blows in Arizona...but he'd be GREAT in the winds of the Ralph.

Right.

:cry::censored: :censored: :censored::wallbash: :wallbash:

The guy blows in Arizona...but he'd be GREAT in the winds of the Ralph.

Right.

This is getting even crazier.

I mean I know Trent sucks horribly. Anyone with eyes can see that. And yes he is annoying with his gloves and hair highlights and being more fragile than 73.4% of porcelain dolls and all. But the threads about Favre and Leinart? These are probably the only two QBs in the league over which I'd prefer Trent.

If we were starting a thread about draft picks it should probably be Flacco over McKelvin rather than Leinart over whitner.

Cutler played for Vanderbilt. He took Florida to the wire at the swamp once but as for won-loss puh-lease, vandy hasn't had a winning season in so long you can't hold that against him. the pick we should have made is Ngata. that type of player makes a lot of safeties better since the quarterback is running for his life. this is why i think we should take some stud defensive lineman and get it done with the front four so that the linebackers and d.b.'s do their thing. a la Tennessee and Baltimore.

Cutler played for Vanderbilt. He took Florida to the wire at the swamp once but as for won-loss puh-lease, vandy hasn't had a winning season in so long you can't hold that against him. the pick we should have made is Ngata. that type of player makes a lot of safeties better since the quarterback is running for his life. this is why i think we should take some stud defensive lineman and get it done with the front four so that the linebackers and d.b.'s do their thing. a la Tennessee and Baltimore.

Cutler also sucked hard in the Senior Bowl, where all the NFL guys and the media salivated over him during the week before the game. He laid a huge egg that day.

Correction: Leinart does NOT have a great arm...

Ngata was the correct pick, the Bills were awful against the run then and are not much better now and they reach for a SS instead of taking a higher rated DT...the pick made no sense then and even less now