The Price of Success

BillsVet

From Tim Graham's blog for today regarding the Dolfelons:

Dolphins owner Huizenga, desperate to revitalize his team even though he was about to sell it, reached out to Parcells to run his faltering front office.

Huizenga is a fan's dream. He recognizes when the organization isn't working, doesn't hesitate to spend whatever it takes and readily admits he doesn't know enough about football to meddle. Buffalo Bills fans who scanned that sentence just had pangs of wanderlust.

Huizenga, before selling off a large stake in his beloved Dolphins and their stadium, made what could be remembered as the greatest decision of his tenure when he convinced Parcells to come out of retirement. Huizenga gave Parcells a four-year, $12 million contract and carte blanche over football operations.

"It cost us $27 million to fire all the coaches," Huizenga noted after Sunday's victory at the Meadowlands.

The owner, who will retain only five percent of the Dolphins once the sale is finalized, had endured Dave Wannstedt, Jim Bates, Nick Saban and Cameron since Jimmy Johnson left in 1999.

The smile and bewildered expression on Huizenga's face indicated Sunday's accomplishment was worth the cost.

"I thought if we did 8-8 this year, we would have done well," Huizenga said. "I was trying to be realistic. This is unbelievable."

An owner on the verge of selling the team still in it to win it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure having Pennington fall into their laps was part of the grand scheme as well. Not to mention Brady suffering a season-ending injury. And the Jets fading down the stretch.

No one in their right mind expected the Dolphins to make the playoffs. But they were going to turn it around no matter what. And when you have a front office that has competent and legitimate personnel people, combined with a no-nonsense HC, you'll have success.

Parcells was an investment in the franchise. Paying him 3M per sounds like a lot, but Miami now has at least the foundation to win for a long time. Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano learned from Parcells, and the balance of power may be shifting in the AFCE. NE will always be there, NYJ have some issues, but the Bills are and will be the worst team in the AFCE next season with DJ and RB running the show.

I'm sure having Pennington fall into their laps was part of the grand scheme as well. Not to mention Brady suffering a season-ending injury. And the Jets fading down the stretch.

Give them their due. Pennington could have fallen into any teams lap but he ended up in Miami.

What did Brady's injury do for Buffalo's season?

What did the Jets fading down the stretch do for Buffalo's season?

A 10 win increase over the previous year is pretty fuggin amazing regardless of the circumstances. No?

No one in their right mind expected the Dolphins to make the playoffs. But they were going to turn it around no matter what. And when you have a front office that has competent and legitimate personnel people, combined with a no-nonsense HC, you'll have success.

Parcells was an investment in the franchise. Paying him 3M per sounds like a lot, but Miami now has at least the foundation to win for a long time. Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano learned from Parcells, and the balance of power may be shifting in the AFCE. NE will always be there, NYJ have some issues, but the Bills are and will be the worst team in the AFCE next season with DJ and RB running the show.

Look, I'm pissed that the Bills' coaching staff remained unchanged, but let's not rewrite history here, shall we? Parcells was ready to go into 2008 with John Beck or Chad Henne at QB. As I asked in another thread, does anyone think that the Dols would have come close to finishing 11-5 and winning the division with either of those 2 guys? And Pennington joined the Dols because no other team wanted him. And as a reward, he stayed healthy for the entire season for just the 2nd time in his career, and had his 2nd best season. Beyond that, the schedule was weak, the Dols stayed remarkably healthy, and their turnover differential was great. But it's not like Parcells/Sparano had any control over the schedule, players' health, or whether they could force turnovers or prevent turning the ball over, much less Brady's and then Favre's injuries.

As for their base, a lot of their key players are well into their 30's, while Pennington hasn't put together back-to-back good and healthy seasons yet in his career. He's their key next year. And expectations will be sky high. The Nick Saban era is too fresh in my mind to say that Miami is the new AFC East powerhouse.

I expect this weekend to be ugly for the Dols. The last (actually only) good team they faced this year was the team they'll face this weekend, the Ravens, in week 7, and they blew Miami out in their own house. And while they should be congratulated for taking advantage of the situation and making the playoffs, Parcells' legacy in Miami will depend on their long-term success, not just this year. That is, assuming he's still with them.

Look, I'm pissed that the Bills' coaching staff remained unchanged, but let's not rewrite history here, shall we? Parcells was ready to go into 2008 with John Beck or Chad Henne at QB. As I asked in another thread, does anyone think that the Dols would have come close to finishing 11-5 and winning the division with either of those 2 guys? And Pennington joined the Dols because no other team wanted him. And as a reward, he stayed healthy for the entire season for just the 2nd time in his career, and had his 2nd best season. Beyond that, the schedule was weak, the Dols stayed remarkably healthy, and their turnover differential was great. But it's not like Parcells/Sparano had any control over the schedule, players' health, or whether they could force turnovers or prevent turning the ball over, much less Brady's and then Favre's injuries.

As for their base, a lot of their key players are well into their 30's, while Pennington hasn't put together back-to-back good and healthy seasons yet in his career. He's their key next year. And expectations will be sky high. The Nick Saban era is too fresh in my mind to say that Miami is the new AFC East powerhouse.

I expect this weekend to be ugly for the Dols. The last (actually only) good team they faced this year was the team they'll face this weekend, the Ravens, in week 7, and they blew Miami out in their own house. And while they should be congratulated for taking advantage of the situation and making the playoffs, Parcells' legacy in Miami will depend on their long-term success, not just this year. That is, assuming he's still with them.

It was actually Josh McCown that the Dolphins were going to start the season with at QB. They probably would have switched to Henne during the season if McCown didn't produce. Beck was and is considered a nonentity in Miami.

who knows how good Henne can be with good coaching

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco sure seemed to do OK after being written off in the pre-season.

30 other teams could have had Pennington - but Parcells got him because he Chad does not turn the ball over.

The Bills have known since 1994 that they needed a new QB - we are still waiting

Beyond that, the schedule was weak,

This is one of the most condemning facts against Dead Dick. The schedule was so weak, that the Dolphins were able to pull off one of the biggest single season turnarounds ever in the NFL. Against nearly an identical schedule, Dead Dick lead his team through a 2-8 free fall. :wallbash:

VOR, you've ignored a few things, because you're too busy finding excuses for Miami.

Other moves Parcells made:

1. Hiring Tony Sparano. He outcoached DJ on two occasions, although he's in his first season and DJ was in his eighth full.

2. Improving the OL: Parcells signed G Justin Smiley, drafted Jake Long, (which moved Vernon Carey to RT) drafted G Donald Thomas, and already had C Samson Satele.

3. Changed the defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4, which had the effect of making supposed over the hill LB Joey Porter a sack machine again. That move allowed Matt Roth to play a simlar role.

4. Trading for Anthony Fasano, and re-signing both Greg Camarillo and Ricky Williams. All three played an important role in that offense, by giving the offense options.

5. Hiring Pasqualoni and Henning as experienced coordinators to make the transition for Sparano. Those guys aren't the highest caliber coordinators, but they devised schemes (The Wildcat) to make that team maximize their talent.

Parcells very presence made everyone realize they were not going to be babied. BP made a point of letting people know if

they slacked off they were gone. It's one of the reasons Ernest Wilford didn't play much.

Sure, Pennington was a reason for success. But, he wasn't worth 10 wins all by himself.

The Miami Dolphins have less talent than the Buffalo Bills, but they had good coaching and didn't turn the ball over. Both teams had low penalties, but it was Miami that had clear leadership.

EDIT: Miami has a better front office, better coaching, and better overall leadership. They also happen to have a bettter owner.

I think it's about sizing up an opportunity when it presents itself (as they always do) and making the right decision.

This is one of the most condemning facts against Dead Dick. The schedule was so weak, that the Dolphins were able to pull off one of the biggest single season turnarounds ever in the NFL. Against nearly an identical schedule, Dead Dick lead his team through a 2-8 free fall. :wallbash:

For Buffalo to go 7-9 against their 08 schedule is terrible. Or as Charles Barkley would say, "terbl."

goes to show you the division was there for the taking....the Bills had their chances as well....difference is, we didn't do anything with it.

VOR, you've ignored a few things, because you're too busy finding excuses for Miami.

Other moves Parcells made:

1. Hiring Tony Sparano. He outcoached DJ on two occasions, although he's in his first season and DJ was in his eighth full.

2. Improving the OL: Parcells signed G Justin Smiley, drafted Jake Long, (which moved Vernon Carey to RT) drafted G Donald Thomas, and already had C Samson Satele.

3. Changed the defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4, which had the effect of making supposed over the hill LB Joey Porter a sack machine again. That move allowed Matt Roth to play a simlar role.

4. Trading for Anthony Fasano, and re-signing both Greg Camarillo and Ricky Williams. All three played an important role in that offense, by giving the offense options.

5. Hiring Pasqualoni and Henning as experienced coordinators to make the transition for Sparano. Those guys aren't the highest caliber coordinators, but they devised schemes (The Wildcat) to make that team maximize their talent.

Parcells very presence made everyone realize they were not going to be babied. BP made a point of letting people know if

they slacked off they were gone. It's one of the reasons Ernest Wilford didn't play much.

Sure, Pennington was a reason for success. But, he wasn't worth 10 wins all by himself.

The Miami Dolphins have less talent than the Buffalo Bills, but they had good coaching and didn't turn the ball over. Both teams had low penalties, but it was Miami that had clear leadership.

EDIT: Miami has a better front office, better coaching, and better overall leadership. They also happen to have a bettter owner.

Let's compare that to the moves made by the Bills:

1. Let their top end LT hold out...probably cheaper to pay a 1 time pro bowler vs a 2 timer

2. Sign Kavika Mitchell, Marcus Stroud, and Spencer "hasn't done anything for me lately" Johnson

3. Put a rookie offensive coordinator at the helm

4. Stood pat on a second yr QB, without a full season under his belt

5. Drafted another DB with top pick for a team with minimal pass rush

6. Gave DJ an extension after 5 games into the season

7. Kept one of the worst QBs ever, in a key backup role for said second yr player

It's almost Detroit Lionsesque.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=80600

Miami used to be a joke. Now they're a legit NFL franchise because they completely gutted their front office.

There are four organizations I would consider minor league outfits:

Detroit, Cincinnati, Buffalo, and Saint Louis. Oakland isn't included because they at least spend money. KC and CLE at least will to hire a GM. San Fran has a coach.

Buffalo, Detroit, Cincinnait, and St. Louis could begin the NFL minor league if they wanted.

Let's compare that to the moves made by the Bills:

1. Let their top end LT hold out...probably cheaper to pay a 1 time pro bowler vs a 2 timer

2. Sign Kavika Mitchell, Marcus Stroud, and Spencer "hasn't done anything for me lately" Johnson

3. Put a rookie offensive coordinator at the helm

4. Stood pat on a second yr QB, without a full season under his belt

5. Drafted another DB with top pick for a team with minimal pass rush

6. Gave DJ an extension after 5 games into the season

7. Kept one of the worst QBs ever, in a key backup role for said second yr player

1. The Peters thing was handled poorly-on both ends. It didn't help that marketing guy RB was up against a savvy player agent.

2. Mitchell, Stroud, and Johnson were decent to good signings.

3. Turkey Schonert had been in the NFL as a QB coach for years. It's ironic that he wasn't good enough before to get an OC job, but now he is. He was under DJ's thumb and I don't think he knew what to do when the initial plan didn't work.

4. They should have let JPL go, and find a veteran QB.

5. To be fair to their top pick in 08, there weren't a host of options for DE at 11. Harvey had been taken.

6. The DJ extension was directly negotiated by Ralph. That's a 90 year old man making decisions which not surprisingly did not work out. I believe it was the decision to re-up DJ that forced RW's hand to retain him. Again, Ralph is the problem.

No decent GM will ever work for this franchise again. Ralph has basically made it clear he is the one making decisions and I would not be surprised if Brandon leaves for greener pastures. No one can work for RW, and he pushes people out the door. Unless of course your name is Jeff Littman, chief bean counter.

It was actually Josh McCown that the Dolphins were going to start the season with at QB. They probably would have switched to Henne during the season if McCown didn't produce. Beck was and is considered a nonentity in Miami.

The Dols traded McCown when they added Pennington. If they planned on him being a viable candidate at QB, they would have kept him and cut Beck. In any case, McCown versus Beck versus Henne is six of one, half a dozen of another.