The Price of Success

BillsVet

LOL! And no one else is? I heard the same laments after the 2005 season with Saban, and the 2006 Jets season with Mangini. We'll see where the Dols go next year.

Sparano ain't Saban. Or Mangina for that matter.

He's better, and he's twice the coach Jauron could ever hope to be. That's what has me down about next year.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure having Pennington fall into their laps was part of the grand scheme as well. Not to mention Brady suffering a season-ending injury. And the Jets fading down the stretch.

no but the point is if you make an honest effort, good things can happen. i wish ralph would try to win.

Sparano ain't Saban. Or Mangina for that matter.

We'll see about that one.

He's better, and he's twice the coach Jauron could ever hope to be. That's what has me down about next year.

We'll see if they're as healthy, have as great a turnover differential, and get as good of a season out of Pennington. Those factors will go a long way to determining the Dols' fate than Sparano.

We'll see about that one.

We'll see if they're as healthy, have as great a turnover differential, and get as good of a season out of Pennington. Those factors will go a long way to determining the Dols' fate than Sparano.

We played the same schedule with the exception of Miami playing Houston (8-8) & Baltimore (11-5) and the Bills playing Cleveland (4-12) & Jacksonville (5-11). I hate the Dolphins with a passion that you cannot imagine, but your meaningless posts in this thread make we come to their fuggin defense!

We suck from the top down.

The Dolphins success comes from the TOP and has filtered down. See the difference?

We played the same schedule with the exception of Miami playing Houston (8-8) & Baltimore (11-5) and the Bills playing Cleveland (4-12) & Jacksonville (5-11). I hate the Dolphins with a passion that you cannot imagine, but your meaningless posts in this thread make we come to their fuggin defense!

We suck from the top down.

The Dolphins success comes from the TOP and has filtered down. See the difference?

The Dols were successful this season (even though I'm betting they get blownout by the Ravens again). What if they miss the playoffs the next 2 years (like the Jets did after being "successful" in 2006) and Sparano gets fired?

I'm looking at "success" as a long term thing, not just one year. See the difference?

The Dols were successful this season (even though I'm betting they get blownout by the Ravens again). What if they miss the playoffs the next 2 years (like the Jets did after being "successful" in 2006) and Sparano gets fired?

I'm looking at "success" as a long term thing, not just one year. See the difference?

Essentially you're marginalizing the Dolphins success because they haven't played more seasons. That has to be the lamest put down for a team going to the playoffs. Go ahead and downplay them all you want. They're still winners and Buffalo is still losers.

For the second time, it doesn't matter what next year holds. Miami is in prime shape to be successful for the long term. They set a foundation this year, which ultimately was their goal. It just so happened they made the playoffs. Wayne Huizenga was looking for an 8-8 season, and that was realistic considering the money he spent. But think about that for a moment. 8-8 was his expectation with one year of Parcells. 8-8 is something DJ couldn't do in his last five seasons as a HC.

You're not concerned with long term success as you are trying to bring down other franchises for their success.

That river in Egypt is where you are right now.

Essentially you're marginalizing the Dolphins success because they haven't played more seasons. That has to be the lamest put down for a team going to the playoffs. Go ahead and downplay them all you want. They're still winners and Buffalo is still losers.

For the second time, it doesn't matter what next year holds. Miami is in prime shape to be successful for the long term. They set a foundation this year, which ultimately was their goal. It just so happened they made the playoffs. Wayne Huizenga was looking for an 8-8 season, and that was realistic considering the money he spent. But think about that for a moment. 8-8 was his expectation with one year of Parcells. 8-8 is something DJ couldn't do in his last five seasons as a HC.

You're not concerned with long term success as you are trying to bring down other franchises for their success.

That river in Egypt is where you are right now.

LOL! I'm "not concerned with long term success?" Well, let's play along and say I'm not (which would be wrong). What do I have to do with the direction of the Bills? What do you have to do with it? The answer is, nothing. And the reality is that Ralph will never spend $50+M (since it took $27M to fire Cameron and his staff, I can only assume that it took at least as much to hire Parcells and co.) on his front office and coaches and there's little we can do about it except for not going to games. Which is something I've advocated, should the Bills not sign some of the top FA's, which is what Ralph apparently thinks is the problem (i.e. lack of talent). And still that probably wouldn't change anything. Wishing for his death is low class and saying the team should move is stupid.

But getting back to the topic and long term success, you're talking as if the Dols have already achieved it. Nowhere did I say that this wasn't a successful season for the Dols. What I have been saying is that this could be like 2006 was for the Jets, when they looked to be "in prime shape to be successful for the long term," and then followed it up with 2007 and 2008. I'm saying I want to see more than just 1 season of making the playoffs before I'll claim that Huizenga's $50+M was well spent. Why is this such a hard concept to understand?

And does this season wash away the stink of last year's 1-15 season, which tied the mark for futility in a 16 game season, until the Lions surpassed it this year? What does last year say about Huizenga? To tell the truth, I'd rather got 7-9 twice in a row than 1-15 and 11-5, making the playoffs and getting blownout. When it comes down to it, there is 1 "successful" team a year and 31 losers.

Last of all, the Bills' problems stemmed mainly from the QB position, while it was a position of strength for the Dols, from a guy who has played well in the past. The Bills thought they had it covered with Trent, while Pennington was considered washed-up. Now while the coaching staff might have been able to squeak out a couple more wins (Browns, 2nd Jets game), the team was sunk once Trent started to regress.