Last play of the 1st half

Estro

I know this play has been somewhat discussed on this board, but I wanted to bring up another point. During this weeks press conferences both Juaron and Trent discussed that they practice this situation during the week with 15 seconds on the clock. What they apparently didn't account for was that a defense can stall the play a little and make it difficult to run the special teams out on the field. What was more upsetting however was the entire mindset of the play (and this is the main reason I can't take another year of the Bufalo Bills led by Dick Juaron).

Down 3-0 the Bills were absolutely content to attempt to tie the game rather than take a chance for the lead with a touchdown. With :22 seconds left on the clock the Bills should have thrown one ball into the endzone. If it is caught we take the lead, if not you take your field goal. Yes, it was into the wind, but so what, Cassel and the Pats threw several key passes into the wind the very next quarter.

Trent's reasoning for not throwing a pass in that situation was for two reasons. The first was that the weather conditions were too difficult (once again see the Patriots touchdown drive in the 3rd quarter). The second reason was that if you take a sack you run the risk of the clock running out. This comment was the most bothering to me. Juaron's scared and non-aggressive mentality has trickled down to the starting QB. Tell me how running a blast up the middle is any different than taking a sack with no timeouts left. I'm willing (and so should the coach) to risk a sack for the sake of making an attempt to take the lead and consequently the momentum going into the half. Like others have pointed out, Dick Juaron is totally content with keeping a game close rather than thinking score, score, score.

I know now the game and season is over so many don't care. However, this play was yet another example of how this team is thoroughly outcoached and unprepared week in and week out. The game was an embarrassment to all Bills fan.

There must have been a problem with Trent's communication device since he had to run to the sideline Cutler style to get the play. I put this one on him. He should have had the sense to just spike the ball.

Correct. The coaches did not decide on a play until after the 15-second mark on the play clock was reached, which is when the NFL cuts off the helmet radio.

Trent's comments certainly don't suggest confidence in the O-Line, or in the recievers to make the proper route adjustments in a red zone situation. The WR's have to be very quick in reading the defense. Looking at the Patriots, you can see that O-Line play is solid enough so that Cassell isn't as afraid to take a sack, and that the Pat's receivers, especially Welker, are much quicker at making the correct reads.

Correct. The coaches did not decide on a play until after the 15-second mark on the play clock was reached, which is when the NFL cuts off the helmet radio.

For some reason, the word "clusterf***" comes to mind.

The Bills had the wind at their backs. A throw would not have been against the wind. It was in my end zone-I'm positive on this one.

You are correct. I sit at the same end of the field.

The second reason was that if you take a sack you run the risk of the clock running out.

Good thing we didn't pass and have this happen.

Things wrong with the play...

1. Why in the hell does an NFL coach NOT know what to do or call in that situation?

2. Why did they take so long to decide what to call?

3. With trent coming to the sidelines to get the play, either a)the coaching staff doesn't trust nor want him making a play call or b) Trent is afraid to/wont override the coaching staff, say "f you, if you can't decide, i wil,"l and call his own play.

Lori is right. What happened during that stretch in the textbook definition of a cluster!@#$ and a good reason by itself to fire the coaching staff.

Forget the last play, they wasted 20 seconds when the dallied to the line one play after the 2:00 warning. The last play shouldn't have even come to that if they executed proper clock management with two minutes to go.

I know this play has been somewhat discussed on this board, but I wanted to bring up another point. During this weeks press conferences both Juaron and Trent discussed that they practice this situation during the week with 15 seconds on the clock. What they apparently didn't account for was that a defense can stall the play a little and make it difficult to run the special teams out on the field. What was more upsetting however was the entire mindset of the play (and this is the main reason I can't take another year of the Bufalo Bills led by Dick Juaron).

Down 3-0 the Bills were absolutely content to attempt to tie the game rather than take a chance for the lead with a touchdown. With :22 seconds left on the clock the Bills should have thrown one ball into the endzone. If it is caught we take the lead, if not you take your field goal. Yes, it was into the wind, but so what, Cassel and the Pats threw several key passes into the wind the very next quarter.

Trent's reasoning for not throwing a pass in that situation was for two reasons. The first was that the weather conditions were too difficult (once again see the Patriots touchdown drive in the 3rd quarter). The second reason was that if you take a sack you run the risk of the clock running out. This comment was the most bothering to me. Juaron's scared and non-aggressive mentality has trickled down to the starting QB. Tell me how running a blast up the middle is any different than taking a sack with no timeouts left. I'm willing (and so should the coach) to risk a sack for the sake of making an attempt to take the lead and consequently the momentum going into the half. Like others have pointed out, Dick Juaron is totally content with keeping a game close rather than thinking score, score, score.

I know now the game and season is over so many don't care. However, this play was yet another example of how this team is thoroughly outcoached and unprepared week in and week out. The game was an embarrassment to all Bills fan.

To me, that play should be reason #1232345 why DJ should be fired. Inexcusable. Winning coaches NEVER make mistakes like that. There are simply way too many blunders from this coaching staff; it's just unacceptable.

Forget the last play, they wasted 20 seconds when the dallied to the line one play after the 2:00 warning. The last play shouldn't have even come to that if they executed proper clock management with two minutes to go.

Yup. No sense of urgency, either there or when they had the ball with the wind in the third quarter. I've seen high school coaches display better game-management skills.

Ive played for many years and in college. No matter the weather conditions 22 seconds is enough time to run a running play and setup for a field goal, and yes i know the clock stops in college.

yea hes F-ed up lots of clock management but this particular play is not Insane or stupid or any of that.

if anything the fault lies in not having players know wtf is going on....duke preston.... jackson running away with the ball?? but the actual play call wasnt.

its amazing how some sports writers B word about game strategy for a game theyve never had any real involvement in.

Don't know if it's been discussed, but Fred Jackson said in his post-game comments that the feeling on the field was that the Pats* had orchestrated the "scrum" to purposely engage dopey Preston and run out the clock.

If true, it's just further example of how far Belicheat is ahead of Jauron in game situation management.