Coaching choices for the Bills

I'm not sure why we wouldn't be making a big play for Bill Cowher. How often does a coach like Cowher come along and If Cowher is considering going to the the Jets, it seems like Buffalo would be a much more attractive fit.

Jim Kelly needs to put this deal together, he's got good connection in PA. :sick:

I know why we don't go for him. Money. we don't pay it for coaches.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe, but he's the unofficial heir-apparent to Dungy. Players talk highly of Caldwell - as do a lot of football people - but the Bills may want to steer clear of him for the reasons you mentioned. Hard to say what he can do with a QB not named Peyton Manning.

I didn't think there was anything unofficial about it. Am I wrong? I thought Dungy was retiring after this season with Caldwell taking over. Maybe I dreamed the whole thing.

Huh?

He turned down talking to Cleveland. Buffalo is a lot more like Cleveland than it is NYC.

But, I agree the Bills should at least try to talk to him.

Exactly, people need to realise that Cowher is not coming here, no matter how much begging or money is given to him by the Bills. He does not want to come back and coach a rebuilding team, and its going to take alot more to get him out of his cushy job as a TV analyst. And who is to say that he would even be interested in coaching in Buffalo? What would be the selling point for Bill Cowher to come to Buffalo besides money? It wouldn't be to win another championship, he could have done that staying in Pittsburgh.

Exactly, people need to realise that Cowher is not coming here, no matter how much begging or money is given to him by the Bills. He does not want to come back and coach a rebuilding team, and its going to take alot more to get him out of his cushy job as a TV analyst. And who is to say that he would even be interested in coaching in Buffalo? What would be the selling point for Bill Cowher to come to Buffalo besides money? It wouldn't be to win another championship, he could have done that staying in Pittsburgh.

While I agree that it is the longest of shots...the pitch (IMO) is to come to Buffalo and do the impossible.

You had great success in a blue-collar town (yes, I know things have changed in the Burgh, but the heart of the area is still blue collar) and know the kind of rabid and loyal fans we have here, If you want a soft kitty job, in a media center, then the Jets are a better choice for you. If you are up to the hard task of winning with an un-winable franchise, with one of the great fan bases in all of sports...then maybe Buffalo is a job you should consider. Look, the Bills aren't a rich franchise, and can't afford to outbid the Jets, Redskins and Cowboys of the world. We'll give you $5 million a year and control of the football operation. But understand, you will OWN Buffalo. Do you think Mangina was any sort of big celebrity in NYC? Puhleeze.

Buffalo is a franchise in trouble. A losing tradition and an aging owner. The best chance for a turn around, a new owner keeping the team in Buffalo, new stadium, etc. is to start winning NOW. Win in Buffalo, you will be REVERED as the savior of the franchise. Don't believe me. Doug Flutie, a mediocre NFL QB (at best) by any objective standard is still praised for saving the Bills, years ago. What you could do in Buffalo would dwarf that. You would be GOD there.

So, what I can offer you, is a very good contract and an opportunity of a lifetime. There is simply no better place to make history and cement yourself as one of the ALL TIME great coaches in the NFL.

Chance of it working? Slim. But, if you want a guy to risk it all, you have to at least take a fuc#ing shot at it.

I am thinking about faxing my CV to the Bills if they officially announce that Jauron is done. :sick:

:worthy: How about Mangini? He was basically screwed by the Farve hire and lost control to the NFL future HOF 'er . Down here in NYC area, more fans seem to blame St.Brett for the failure of the Jets. Eric might just be a better fit for a young team....any thoughts?

I'm not sure why we wouldn't be making a big play for Bill Cowher. How often does a coach like Cowher come along and If Cowher is considering going to the the Jets, it seems like Buffalo would be a much more attractive fit.

Jim Kelly needs to put this deal together, he's got good connection in PA. :sick:

Cowher says he will not coach in 09 take that for what it's worth.

Chance of it working? Slim. But, if you want a guy to risk it all, you have to at least take a fuc#ing shot at it.

Agreed, but I think sometimes its not the money or the city of Buffalo or the rebuilding of this franchise that may turn off the high profile coaching candidates. The turn off could be just working for Ralph himself. Lets face it, some of the high profile GMs and coaches that worked for Ralph throughout history left in not so good terms. Polian, Butler, Donahoe, Knox, Saban to name a few .

I'm sure these guys (the ones that are still active or have some contact with others in the league) have bemoaned how difficult it is to work under Ralph. Levy was certainly the exception, but I think its more a testament to his personality. He is much more affable and willing to collaborate (i.e., put up) with Ralph, whereas others like a Polian or Donahoe prefer to be left to their own devices (i.e., no meddling from Ralph) to run the team.

So when a Parcells or a Cowher has an opportunity (assuming Ralph would make a real offer) to work in Buffalo, and these guys fit more under the Polian/Cowher persona type, I really dont think it becomes a money or Buffalo issue. I'm sure these guys know the history of Ralph and his past GM/coach relationships. And its one that may not be attractive enough.

Just my opinion.

Agreed, but I think sometimes its not the money or the city of Buffalo or the rebuilding of this franchise that may turn off the high profile coaching candidates. The turn off could be just working for Ralph himself. Lets face it, some of the high profile GMs and coaches that worked for Ralph throughout history left in not so good terms. Polian, Butler, Donahoe, Knox, Saban to name a few .

I'm sure these guys (the ones that are still active or have some contact with others in the league) have bemoaned how difficult it is to work under Ralph. Levy was certainly the exception, but I think its more a testament to his personality. He is much more affable and willing to collaborate (i.e., put up) with Ralph, whereas others like a Polian or Donahoe prefer to be left to their own devices (i.e., no meddling from Ralph) to run the team.

So when a Parcells or a Cowher has an opportunity (assuming Ralph would make a real offer) to work in Buffalo, and these guys fit more under the Polian/Cowher persona type, I really dont think it becomes a money or Buffalo issue. I'm sure these guys know the history of Ralph and his past GM/coach relationships. And its one that may not be attractive enough.

Just my opinion.

Great post, I agree 100%, it's not so much a money or Buffalo issue. I don't think it's impossible for the Bills to get a quality GM/HC, but I think anyone who has multiple options would choose to go elsewhere before working for Ralph.

While I agree that it is the longest of shots...the pitch (IMO) is to come to Buffalo and do the impossible.

You had great success in a blue-collar town (yes, I know things have changed in the Burgh, but the heart of the area is still blue collar) and know the kind of rabid and loyal fans we have here, If you want a soft kitty job, in a media center, then the Jets are a better choice for you. If you are up to the hard task of winning with an un-winable franchise, with one of the great fan bases in all of sports...then maybe Buffalo is a job you should consider. Look, the Bills aren't a rich franchise, and can't afford to outbid the Jets, Redskins and Cowboys of the world. We'll give you $5 million a year and control of the football operation. But understand, you will OWN Buffalo. Do you think Mangina was any sort of big celebrity in NYC? Puhleeze.

Buffalo is a franchise in trouble. A losing tradition and an aging owner. The best chance for a turn around, a new owner keeping the team in Buffalo, new stadium, etc. is to start winning NOW. Win in Buffalo, you will be REVERED as the savior of the franchise. Don't believe me. Doug Flutie, a mediocre NFL QB (at best) by any objective standard is still praised for saving the Bills, years ago. What you could do in Buffalo would dwarf that. You would be GOD there.

So, what I can offer you, is a very good contract and an opportunity of a lifetime. There is simply no better place to make history and cement yourself as one of the ALL TIME great coaches in the NFL.

He is already being considered a great coach, otherwise why is almost every team looking for a new coach and Bills fans salivating over him and going after him?

BC has already established himself as a great coach, he has already built a team and won a Super Bowl, what else is there to do for him? If he failed rebuilding a team like Buffalo, how would that affect his reputation as a great coach? Theres nothing more for BC to do, and the only way he will come back is if he really misses the game, or he is looking for money and someone throws him a crazy offer.

As for Doug Flutie, some Bills fans still have a hard on for him, but he is not seen as a god or a saviour elsewhere in the league. Didn't he only have one more year after leaving Buffalo where he was even a starter?

Just my opinion.

Some of that may be true. I don't think Polian speaks ill of Ralph anymore, but who knows what he says behind closed doors.

But, I'm not sure the Bills actually ever go out and TRY to get the big coach. That's probably the BIGGEST reason they don't get top guys here.

I agree they probably won't land the big fish (so to speek) 9 out of 10 times (or maybe 29 out of 30)...but you should still be trying...and making your best pitch. Ralph is not a dumb guy and I'm sure he knows how to make a deal with people who initially are suspect. Make the pitch! That's all I ask. Make it with Cower, make it with Parcells...if it doesn't work, at least you tried. You can't EVER get the guy if you don't make an offer.

He is already being considered a great coach, otherwise why is almost every team looking for a new coach and Bills fans salivating over him and going after him?

BC has already established himself as a great coach, he has already built a team and won a Super Bowl, what else is there to do for him? If he failed rebuilding a team like Buffalo, how would that affect his reputation as a great coach? Theres nothing more for BC to do, and the only way he will come back is if he really misses the game, or he is looking for money and someone throws him a crazy offer.

As for Doug Flutie, some Bills fans still have a hard on for him, but he is not seen as a god or a saviour elsewhere in the league. Didn't he only have one more year after leaving Buffalo where he was even a starter?

Cower is seen as a very good contemporary coach. He is not revered like Walsh, Lombardi, etc. I've never heard his name mentioned in the Greatest of All Time conversations. He can't lose his championship...that stays with him forever. To make it to the next level he has to do something extraordinary. There are few opportunities for something like that better than with the Bills. Hey, maybe he doesn't care about his legacy. That's fine.

Flutie started in San Diego after leaving the Bills. Started all 16 games. The team started with 3-straight wins, and finished the year at 5-11. But, had the Bills kept him, they would have gone to the Super Bowl, dontcha know.

Cower is seen as a very good contemporary coach. He is not revered like Walsh, Lombardi, etc. I've never heard his name mentioned in the Greatest of All Time conversations. He can't lose his championship...that stays with him forever. To make it to the next level he has to do something extraordinary. There are few opportunities for something like that better than with the Bills. Hey, maybe he doesn't care about his legacy. That's fine.

Flutie started in San Diego after leaving the Bills. Started all 16 games. The team started with 3-straight wins, and finished the year at 5-11. But, had the Bills kept him, they would have gone to the Super Bowl, dontcha know.

I have to disagree on how Bill Cowher is viewed of as a coach. He does not need to do much of anything else to be considered a candadate for a HOF spot as a coach, and if he cared at all about that, he would have stayed in Pittsburgh to try and get it there. he seems content at the moment with his TV gig, and spending the time with his family for now. Just cause its rumored he said that he would listen to the Jets offer, it doesn't mean he would take it. It just means he is willing to listen and if they blow him away, maybe he will consider it.

Either way, believing that Bill Cowher would have any interest in coming to Buffalo is about 99.9999% unlikely to happen

I have to disagree on how Bill Cowher is viewed of as a coach. He does not need to do much of anything else to be considered a candadate for a HOF spot as a coach, and if he cared at all about that, he would have stayed in Pittsburgh to try and get it there. he seems content at the moment with his TV gig, and spending the time with his family for now. Just cause its rumored he said that he would listen to the Jets offer, it doesn't mean he would take it. It just means he is willing to listen and if they blow him away, maybe he will consider it.

Either way, believing that Bill Cowher would have any interest in coming to Buffalo is about 99.9999% unlikely to happen

I actually agree with all of that.

But, HOF and ALL TIME GREATEST COACH are two very different things. He's not even the greatest coach in Steeler history.

And it costs Ralph almost nothing to see if there is any chance at all, with Cower. Might as well take the shot.

Hell, we would have gone to the Super Bowl in '99 if we'd a started him against Tennessee.

My top 10 coaches (in order):

1. Marty S

2. Dan Reeves

3. Brain Billick

4. Bill Cowher

5. the Mooch

6. Josh McDaniels

7. Jim Fassel

8. Mike Martz

9. Steve Spagnola (Giants D co ordinator)

10. Ron Rivera

Hell, we would have gone to the Super Bowl in '99 if we'd a started him against Tennessee.

Of course. Even though Flutie never won a playoff game in his NFL career, and fumbled, to lose the game in his only NFL playoff appearance the previous year, the Bills would have certainly have won at Tennessee and the SB with him...right...

Keep drinking that koolaid.