Report: 2010 Pro Bowl to be played in Miami before Super Bowl

BillsWatch

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3798734

The Pro Bowl will be played one week before the Super Bowl in 2010 and both games will be staged in Dolphin Stadium, a person directly involved in the decision told The Associated Press on Monday.

What a slam of Hawaii and all of the support they have given to Pro Bowl.

What a gift to Miami Dolphins finances; now new owner and team will get money twice, money which entire league earns.

Man -- if you thought that star players feigned injury to duck playing in the Pro Bowl before, wait till it's in Jacksonville or Detroit.

It's a pity. Honolulu supported the game with gusto.

I hear you, but, you have to admit, the NFL all-star game has never held any prestige, amongst fans or media. If they play it a week before the Super Bowl, with as may media outlets there it cover the game, as they are for the Super Bowl, it is a pretty sharp move by he NFL. To most, the NFL season ends with the Super Bowl...

Do they think any of the players on the two Super Bowl teams who were voted to the Pro Bowl would actually play in that game and risk being injured?

Nope. My guess it is intended to increase number of people staying whole week prior to Superbowl increasing amount of money Superbowl host gets.

I hear you, but, you have to admit, the NFL all-star game has never held any prestige, amongst fans or media. If they play it a week before the Super Bowl, with as may media outlets there it cover the game, as they are for the Super Bowl, it is a pretty sharp move by he NFL. To most, the NFL season ends with the Super Bowl...

Well, this gets back to one of my hobby horses. I'd like to see the Super Bowl -- and for that matter, the Pro Bowl -- played in a neutral city every year, with cities bidding for the game a la the Olympics. The profits could be spread amongst the teams.

Imagine how much Vegas interests would pay to host the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl back to back.

The two SB teams are certain to have some PBers. But they're not gonna play in a meaningless game one week before the big one. Why risk the injury? I have mixed feelings about this report. I get moving before the SB because many fans may not care about football anymore once the SB is over.

A better idea may be to put the game at mid-season or in like Week 12 or something and have it be every team's bye week. Of course one could argue you may not have a clear idea of who the best players are at that point.

I'm sure the owners/commish will come up with something reasonable.

Horrible idea, IMO.

1. I'm sure the players would prefer the trip to Hawaii.

2. All players on the SB teams, won't participate in any way.

3. Diminishes the Pro Bowl even more, because now it's just part of the Super Bowl hype.

4. It's stupid.

How does having the Super Bowl in a city help the finances of the team there? I was unaware that teams got any financial benefit from a SB.

I am a huge NFL fan and have never, and will never, watch a Pro Bowl. It should be an honor and they should not play the game. The other sports can play a variant of their game (no defense) and have fun in their All-Star games but you can't play football right without serious risk of injury. Axe the game; retain the awards.

The two SB teams are certain to have some PBers. But they're not gonna play in a meaningless game one week before the big one. Why risk the injury? I have mixed feelings about this report. I get moving before the SB because many fans may not care about football anymore once the SB is over.

A better idea may be to put the game at mid-season or in like Week 12 or something and have it be every team's bye week. Of course one could argue you may not have a clear idea of who the best players are at that point.

I'm sure the owners/commish will come up with something reasonable.

So instead of getting hurt in a meaningless game after the season you think anyone will show up to play mid-season? Just can't do it in football; the risk of injury is too great and the season is too short.

I am a huge NFL fan and have never, and will never, watch a Pro Bowl. It should be an honor and they should not play the game. The other sports can play a variant of their game (no defense) and have fun in their All-Star games but you can't play football right without serious risk of injury. Axe the game; retain the awards.

:sick:

So instead of getting hurt in a meaningless game after the season you think anyone will show up to play mid-season? Just can't do it in football; the risk of injury is too great and the season is too short.

Yeah. There really isn't good way to do it that I can see. I think the NFL realizes what a meaningless bore the game can be in it's current spot and want it to be a more interesting/attractive view. It's pretty much a lost cause IMO.

Horrible idea, IMO.

1. I'm sure the players would prefer the trip to Hawaii.

2. All players on the SB teams, won't participate in any way.

3. Diminishes the Pro Bowl even more, because now it's just part of the Super Bowl hype.

4. It's stupid.

How does having the Super Bowl in a city help the finances of the team there? I was unaware that teams got any financial benefit from a SB.

I think that being "part of the Super Bowl hype" is what the NFL wants...and I think being part of the Super Bowl hype is more likely to get star players to want to play in the game, than what they currently have. What NFL players' don't want more attention paid to their greatness?

I guess I am in the minority on this...but, unless, as John Adams says, they just do away with the game completely (something I wouldn't be opposed to), having it the week between the playoffs and the Super Bowl is the best idea...it gives the game a higher profile (increasing ad revenues for the league), IMO, makes it more desireable to participate for most players (they feel part of the leauge championship hype, and get to start their vacation from the NFL two weeks earlier...they can afford to go to Hawaii any time)...I think this is a no-brainer.

If a team is hosting Pro Bowl or Super Bowl they get the largest portion of tickets to sell as well as right to sell suites. You think they sell these seats cheaply? Teams have also used potential and promised Bowl game to leverage money for stadium and road improvements out of local and state governments.

In addition the host city gets tremendous amount of revenue from tourists and press which is why they make the bids in first place.

I think it's genius. The NHL All-Star game gets national coverage and most watched ratings; the NBA All-Star games always draw the even the most casual of observers; MLB's All-Star game is so beloved, the WORLD SERIES home field advantage is decided by it. -the NFL? not so much.. Basically a joke, that even I miss it regularly.

Now, with the pre-drawn ubermedia already in attendance, they'll play their Pro Bowl -WITHOUT Super Bowl team participants and likely large no-show from Championship game losers.

So who plays? The next best players -and quite likely BETTER perfromers throughout the recently completed regular season. Makes for a much better game, me thinks. There'll be no more whinin' and bitchin' 'bout "I/We was robbed!" If you deserved it, you're now likely gonna be acknowledged. It will instantly rework every new contract signed -see: Haynesworth- for Pro Bowl recognition, and I'm pretty sure Mr. No Comment's blackberry is burnin' up with screaming clients right now. -Ha!

Cudos, Commish <edit: I was gazing at a very old ball.. :censored: >