WGR

Wow, I've been away for a few years and I didn't think WGR could get any worse. I left town when the dreaded "Bob & Ann Show" actually made dead air sound like Chopin and then one of the grand trainwrecks in Buffalo broadcasting history, known as the "Bob & Kevin Show", killed everything good about radio. In this context I must hand it to GR for setting a new standard.

Is Howard Simon in a Lexapro induced coma? Or is it he has zero personailty? Tough call. Jeremy White should have Santa beat him with a stocking of coal. Anything to shut him up. Bulldog has been stealing a paycheck his whole career and now he doesn't even hide it.Where would we be without his brilliance of "....aaahhh....uuummm....aaaaa?....I like beer" Let's play some lame attempts at comedy. Let's pretend the airwaves are one big frat party. Let's put Roby or Paul Hamilton on for 7 segments a day. Let's program this station like a 11 year old with no class (sorry 11 year-olds).

It's bad enough the people of Buffalo have to put up with our sports teams, the economy, and this F'in freezing winter. The real insult is WGR's insult to the intelligence of the fans.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like Schopp and the Bulldog a lot - and I used to hate Schopp - i'm sure i'm spelling his name wrong. I think the show is funny, Greg Bauch really adding to it. And, if they are pretending the airwaves is a frat party, then what has Stern been doing for years - that's like a sophmore high school locker room.

I don' listen much in the morning and that's really the only other show they have now.....And, those Bob, Kevin and Puffdog shows were horrible, I agree...but I like Bob when he does a long segment on Brad's show on Monday nights on WECK.....he really does know a ton about sports.

i actually like the sports talk hosts.

alot of you guys that B word about WGR are prolly the idiots that call and say real dumb stuff and the hosts end up calling you guys out on it, telling you to STFU and then hanging up on you LOL

i love that

alot of you guys that B word about WGR are prolly the idiots that call and say real dumb stuff and the hosts end up calling you guys out on it, telling you to STFU and then hanging up on you LOL

i love that

Bingo.

the original post was dead-on.......i don't mind the personalities one bit; it's not personal. what is annoying about our only sports talk radio station is the lack of sports that gets talked about......there is too much "my wife told me ..." or chick-flick discussions........there is a huge market for someone who will talk sports......there isn't a station in town that talks sports these days......

good post......

Wow, I've been away for a few years and I didn't think WGR could get any worse. I left town when the dreaded "Bob & Ann Show" actually made dead air sound like Chopin and then one of the grand trainwrecks in Buffalo broadcasting history, known as the "Bob & Kevin Show", killed everything good about radio. In this context I must hand it to GR for setting a new standard.

Is Howard Simon in a Lexapro induced coma? Or is it he has zero personailty? Tough call. Jeremy White should have Santa beat him with a stocking of coal. Anything to shut him up. Bulldog has been stealing a paycheck his whole career and now he doesn't even hide it.Where would we be without his brilliance of "....aaahhh....uuummm....aaaaa?....I like beer" Let's play some lame attempts at comedy. Let's pretend the airwaves are one big frat party. Let's put Roby or Paul Hamilton on for 7 segments a day. Let's program this station like a 11 year old with no class (sorry 11 year-olds).

It's bad enough the people of Buffalo have to put up with our sports teams, the economy, and this F'in freezing winter. The real insult is WGR's insult to the intelligence of the fans.

Agreed on all counts. Bulldog and Howard are good guys, and as much as it pains me to say this . . . Bulldog really is unlistenable. Of course, I turned the show off a long time ago b/c of his arrogant partner, but that's another story.

The point about the "humor" (and I use the term loosely) on the afternoon show is well-taken. I don't know if they're still doing those lame bits with the pseudo-PBP announcer, but wow were those lame.

i love that

prolly?

If you were a gifted radio personality with a real future in the business, would you choose to work in Buffalo? Enough said.

i love that

bull sh--...WGR's afternoon show is trash...berating callers is beyond classless and you know what it tells me? Schoop isn't able to debate with the caller and has to resort to insults because he either knows he's wrong or he is confused by the caller

prolly?

:lol:

making up words is prolly idiotic itself

It must be me, but I love those skits......

I thought the Song they did earlier this Year on the Morning Show..."Marshawn" singing "Running Game," was absolutely hilarious! Everytime whoever was Singing that yelled, "Beastmode!" I cracked up... :lol:

Anyway...As an out-of-towner for almost 20 years now I appreciate WGR, especially Howard Simon in the AM...Maybe it's just the familiarity...I've been either watching or listening to Howard for what seems like a lifetime now...I don't think it's much better or worse than the AM Show here in Charlotte NC...It's just different...If anything, the Show here in Charlotte is a bit more on the entertainment side than WGR is...Lets not forget that Stations want Sports Talk Shows to be entertaining...The days of "hard core" Sports Talk 24-7 are pretty much over...So if you think there is too much joking around, and not enough meaty Sports Talk, it's probably by design... B-)

It must be me, but I love those skits......

I think some of them are pretty funny too...

As for the complaints about how little sports are talked about...it is that way in most local markets. That's when you turn it off, if you don't like it. Seriously, in a small market like Buffalo, how much can you say about some of this stuff? Bills fans B word about them talking too much about the Sabres, and vice versa...

I don't particularly care for it either, which is why I mainly listen to the segments on the audio vault, rather than live...the only guy I think is really bad, is Schoop, when he does the Bills post-game stuff. The guy really doesn't know that much about football, and comes off as an ass, deriding callers who know more than he does, because he is too lazy, or possibly too bored, to do any research...or put any thought into football. He shouldn't be doing football stuff. Same with Paul Hamilton. I think the guy is tremendous with the Sabres coverage, but offers nothing when it comes to football...

Having been in the broadcast business, and still work in an ancillary field, I can't believe WGR can't put together a better lineup of hosts. I think the programming philosophy of Andy Roth is to treat Buffalo sports fans like caged animals and the hosts job is to poke us with sticks until we go berserk. They really love the phrase "slap in the face" and throw it around like candy on Halloween.

In fact it was very telling how lost Schopp & Bulldog were back in October when both the Sabres and Bills were winning. They had no idea how to carry on a conversation that wasn't ripping on somebody. Nobody is happier about bad news than WGR.

On a side note: notice how little if any discussion of the UB Bulls happens. WGR is acting like a jilted school girl over UB moving to WECK.

PTR