Brian Orakpo

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i like orapko but i think mike williams is still too freash of a wound.

I wish they would ban the combine... Scouts would have to rely on watching college players play football.

How did a guy do against the best competition?

Did he tend to play down to his opponent?

Can he play in cold weather games?

Orakpo is a physical beast, and possibly the best de in this class. He doesn't beat you with pure speed, but has very good technique and strength, and a good closing burst. If you're looking for an nfl comparison. Michael Strahan may be more in line. Personally I'm hoping for Michael Johnson, Greg Hardy, or George Selvie. With several 1st rd caliber, but no clear cut top dend. There's no excuse not to get someone out of the draft. There is no "next bruce smith". The closest player"s" who can have that kind of impact. When he feels like it Julius Peppers. Mario Williams if he keeps it up has all world potential. As does the Giants Justin Tuck. I'll settle for the Demarcus Ware type Michael Johnson in this draft.

Johnson is no DeMarcus Ware. He's a true DE and not as agile as guys like Ware or Joey Porter or James Harrison. But then, Ware wouldn't be the same player as a down DE either. There are precious few dominant pass rushing 4-3 ends anymore, in part because there are so many big, athletic 330 pound LT's which match up better in pass protection against 280 pound ends than they do slightly quicker and more athletic 240-250 pound LB's. It makes me sick to think that this team once had a dominant 3-4 defense and switched to a defense that is easier for offenses to handle. Good pass rushing OLB's are so much easier to find than pass rushing DE's who can consistently get to the QB......and therefore cheaper, and so on......

Johnson is no DeMarcus Ware. He's a true DE and not as agile as guys like Ware or Joey Porter or James Harrison. But then, Ware wouldn't be the same player as a down DE either. There are precious few dominant pass rushing 4-3 ends anymore, in part because there are so many big, athletic 330 pound LT's which match up better in pass protection against 280 pound ends than they do slightly quicker and more athletic 240-250 pound LB's. It makes me sick to think that this team once had a dominant 3-4 defense and switched to a defense that is easier for offenses to handle. Good pass rushing OLB's are so much easier to find than pass rushing DE's who can consistently get to the QB......and therefore cheaper, and so on......

Given the above, I wish Wade Philipps would coach us next year after he is fired by Jones. I would prefer Marty, but anything would be better than Dick Levy.

the good thing about a guy like this is he's very strong and works hard- the flip side is he's pretty much as big and strong as he's gonna get- if I was looking for a DE , I'd want a player who's very quick, has a big frame and long arms, a guy who's willing to work but hasn't done too much weight training because of a small school program or academics.

Given the above, I wish Wade Philipps would coach us next year after he is fired by Jones. I would prefer Marty, but anything would be better than Dick Levy.

Wade is a great DC. I once saw some national media types talk about how Wade FINALLY got to work with some talent in Dallas in praise of his fast start last year. When has he actually NOT had talent? He had competitive talent in Denver, which Shanahan converted from mediocre to very good. He inherited a talented veteran team in Buffalo that had had enough of Marv and was primed for a bounce back. Then he got set up with a boatload of talent from Parcells. He's a little better than Jauron, but still far from a maximizer of talent.

Now Marty......he has actually built teams up from talent starved losers to talented winners. He's never got a full cupboard and never left one bare. This team might actually be the most talented team Marty would have inherited. Bring in Marty and chalk up 10 wins next season. Keep Dick and HOPE it doesn't get worse.

Wade is a great DC.

He sure is. I remember an interview with Bruce. He said that he told Bryce Paup early in the season that he would be the NFL Def. Player of the Year. Wade knew who to bring in (Bryce, Big Ted, etc.) to make his system work.

This season Wade was on Sirius, and he said that he believes in drafing pass rushers early and often, and THEN worrying about defensive backs. Jauron is so bad that I long for the days of Wade.

Now Marty......he has actually built teams up from talent starved losers to talented winners. He's never got a full cupboard and never left one bare. This team might actually be the most talented team Marty would have inherited. Bring in Marty and chalk up 10 wins next season. Keep Dick and HOPE it doesn't get worse.

Wouldn't argue at all with Marty. But DJ, if he is for some reason kept for 09, will have a tough go of it next year.

The Bills had one of, if not the easiest schedules in the NFL. There won't be cupcakes in 09 as they had this year in abundance. To think they played the AFC and NFC West and could not muster more than 6 wins through 14 games should make even a fourth grader realize how bad 2008 has been.

If fans think a 7-9 season was acceptable with that schedule, they'll struggle mightily next year against the AFC and NFC South. Next year, I'd be surprised if they went 5-11 with DJ running the show and those opponents.

Wouldn't argue at all with Marty. But DJ, if he is for some reason kept for 09, will have a tough go of it next year.

The Bills had one of, if not the easiest schedules in the NFL. There won't be cupcakes in 09 as they had this year in abundance. To think they played the AFC and NFC West and could not muster more than 6 wins through 14 games should make even a fourth grader realize how bad 2008 has been.

If fans think a 7-9 season was acceptable with that schedule, they'll struggle mightily next year against the AFC and NFC South. Next year, I'd be surprised if they went 5-11 with DJ running the show and those opponents.

Yeah, I actually think things will get WORSE next year if Jauron stays. Like I said before, continuity is only worthwhile if you can EXPECT it to pay off.

EXPECT.

With Jauron it is nothing but a hope and a prayer. I mean, for the one millionth time, the guy has had only one winning season in 8 chances. There is far more parity in the league nowadays, if you can't do better than 1 for 8 you don't deserve to be a HC in the NFL.

I wish they would ban the combine... Scouts would have to rely on watching college players play football.

How did a guy do against the best competition?

Did he tend to play down to his opponent?

Can he play in cold weather games?

screw the cold weather--guys get use to it. half the nfl is from the south.

Yeah, I actually think things will get WORSE next year if Jauron stays. Like I said before, continuity is only worthwhile if you can EXPECT it to pay off.

EXPECT.

With Jauron it is nothing but a hope and a prayer. I mean, for the one millionth time, the guy has had only one winning season in 8 chances. There is far more parity in the league nowadays, if you can't do better than 1 for 8 you don't deserve to be a HC in the NFL.

I totally agree!

I like what I've see from the South Florida kid. A bit undersized (unless I am confusing him with someone else)

That's george Selvie, the one I like the best as well. I think he has the skill to stay at DE in the pros despite his size. That's why I compared him to Freeny, even though they have different styles.

Here's a good read on what he eats every day as he trys to gain wait. It includes this gem, "Just 52 minutes into the day, a familiar feeling hits. Well, two feelings. First: This might not be easy. Then: Oh, god. I'm about to soil my pants." :wallbash:

y not?

First of all, he's going to be drafted too high. I don't like pass rushing defensive lineman very early unless they are incredibly dominant or a freak of nature(like Mario Williams). The reason being that their position is 95% about desire to succeed, more than any other position, and giving them a $10M plus bonus is not a great way to motivate them. Orakpo is not dominant and is not a freak of nature type athlete. Very good, yes. But not like Peppers or Bruce or even Sam Adams were in college.

I like my DE's motivated. Aaron Schobel is a good example. He was a mid-2nd round pick and he was determined to see a big payday and worked hard to earn an early extension. It's not a complete coincidence that when he signed what should be his last big contract, the second extension, his game dropped off significantly. In 2007 he "became a better run defender" because his motor dropped a few rpm's.

Second, the Texas connection. Texas players live in an athletes utopia and they seem to find the jump to the NFL a big disappointment. Like it or not, it's an issue. A Texas player would have to be out of this world for me to drop a top 10 pick on him. Too much risk.

First of all, he's going to be drafted too high. I don't like pass rushing defensive lineman very early unless they are incredibly dominant or a freak of nature(like Mario Williams). The reason being that their position is 95% about desire to succeed, more than any other position, and giving them a $10M plus bonus is not a great way to motivate them. Orakpo is not dominant and is not a freak of nature type athlete. Very good, yes. But not like Peppers or Bruce or even Sam Adams were in college.

I like my DE's motivated. Aaron Schobel is a good example. He was a mid-2nd round pick and he was determined to see a big payday and worked hard to earn an early extension. It's not a complete coincidence that when he signed what should be his last big contract, the second extension, his game dropped off significantly. In 2007 he "became a better run defender" because his motor dropped a few rpm's.

Second, the Texas connection. Texas players live in an athletes utopia and they seem to find the jump to the NFL a big disappointment. Like it or not, it's an issue. A Texas player would have to be out of this world for me to drop a top 10 pick on him. Too much risk.

So where are we going to find some pass rush? Hope that Chris Ellis is a catch, maybe add another mid-rounder?

There might be a few different talented prospects that are supposed to go in the area of our pick. Perhaps the best we can do is get a feel for them in interviews, and cross our fingers that we end up with somebody who can properly self-motivate themself?

Sadly, I'm not seeing much of an alternative right now. Nothing is as important for this team as finding a way to get to the quarterback, and assuming Jauron and Fewell will be back, thats synonymous with finding a pass rushing end.

The knock on Texas players in the past, as was the knock on M Williams, is that they are soft and do not have a good work ethic because the coaches at Texas have a hands off approach to their off season training. Orakpo does not fit into that category. Orakpo is a guy who players a lot stronger than his size should allow, yet is still lightning quick and fast. He is a lock for the top 5, as his production warrants it alone, not to mention what the combine will do for him.

Nothing is as important for this team as finding a way to get to the quarterback, and assuming Jauron and Fewell will be back, thats synonymous with finding a pass rushing end.

No, nothing is more important than getting better play from our own QB position. That is WITHOUT question.

The Bills OL is ill equipped to handle the top defenses in the league, and their chosen QB is not able to withstand a beating. Keep in mind, the Bills have had an EASY schedule this year, not having to face any of the top pass rushing defenses in the league. Don't be fooled by the team being able to run the ball a bit late in the season, that's a recurring theme from Buffalo Bills offensive lines......too little, too late. Imagine Trent Edwards standing in against this years Steelers, Ravens, Giants, Cowboys etc....never happen. Fire up the gator and warm up JP.

You need pass rush nowadays to win a SB. No doubt. However, the Bills aren't a playoff team yet and aren't much closer, it at all, to being one than they were in Jaurons' first season here. They need to crawl before they walk. Stop kidding themselves that what they have on the OL now is good enough.

My take on the draft is simple. Trade out of that outrageous $10M+ bonus range into the late first or early second and stock 2nd and 3rd round picks. Do that, and draft well and you can get help at multiple positions. Perhaps OL AND pass rushers. The last time the Bills did that, they ended up with Nate Clements, Aaron Schobel, Travis Henry and Jonas Jennings on the first day. Three of them have played in Pro Bowls and Jennings was a very good OT who didn't allow a sack in his rookie year and should have been a Pro Bowler if not for an inability to stay healthy. This draft is simialarly stacked, the Bills need to come out with more than 2-3 players in the first 3 rounds.