Want to fire Jauron and replace him with a coordinator?

dave mcbride

It's actually not even accurate. In two seasons, he's 21-10 (including a playoff loss).

21-10 != .588 winning percentage. :rolleyes:

For fun, I looked up the Marty Schottenheimer coaching tree. Here is the list: Herman Edwards, Wade Phillips, Marvin Lewis, Ken Whisenhunt, Jack Del Río, Mike Smith, Mike McCarthy, Dom Capers, Chan Gailey, Jim Haslett, Dick LeBeau, Mike Mularkey, Tony Dungy, Rod Marinelli, Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin, and Lane Kiffin.

Here's the Dick Jauron coaching tree: .

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For fun, I looked up the Marty Schottenheimer coaching tree. Here is the list: Herman Edwards, Mike McCarthy, Wade Phillips, Marvin Lewis, Ken Whisenhunt, Jack Del Río, Mike Smith, Mike McCarthy, Dom Capers, Chan Gailey, Jim Haslett, Dick LeBeau, Mike Mularkey, Tony Dungy, Rod Marinelli, Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin, and Lane Kiffin.

Does Mike McCarthy have a son in the business?

I jest.

Bills management has to be one of two things to get a quality coach. The first, and most obvious, is that they have to be willing to go out and pay for a proven guy. We all know that's not going to happen. I'm not sure it ever has. I could be wrong on Chuck Knox though. He could have cost some cash. Can't remember. The second is that they have to be insightful, connected, perceptive and aware enough to spot a up and comer that is the right fit for the club. I don't think Ralph is capable of hiring a GM that can do that for him. I don't think Ralph can spot a prospect either.

Does Mike McCarthy have a son in the business?

Mike McCarthy is the head coach of the Green Bay Packers.

Bills management has to be one of two things to get a quality coach. The first, and most obvious, is that they have to be willing to go out and pay for a proven guy. We all know that's not going to happen. I'm not sure it ever has. I could be wrong on Chuck Knox though. He could have cost some cash. Can't remember. The second is that they have to be insightful, connected, perceptive and aware enough to spot a up and comer that is the right fit for the club. I don't think Ralph is capable of hiring a GM that can do that for him. I don't think Ralph can spot a prospect either.

Ralph needs to go out and hire some management consultants that can come in and evaluate his organization from top to bottom and recommend to him steps it will take to put things together in a way that can be successful in the NFL circa 2009. It's almost inconceivable that he'll actually spend the money to do that. It's a much better bet that he approaches it the same old business-as-usual way: he'll have a talk with the cronies and hangers on; may call a few friends on the phone that he trusts; and, get out the blindfold and spin the wheel.

For fun, I looked up the Marty Schottenheimer coaching tree. Here is the list: Herman Edwards, Mike McCarthy, Wade Phillips, Marvin Lewis, Ken Whisenhunt, Jack Del Río, Mike Smith, Mike McCarthy, Dom Capers, Chan Gailey, Jim Haslett, Dick LeBeau, Mike Mularkey, Tony Dungy, Rod Marinelli, Lovie Smith, Mike Tomlin, and Lane Kiffin.

I meant the cited record - the original post had 30-21. I should have been clearer, but there's a lot of bad numbers here ...

Mike McCarthy is the head coach of the Green Bay Packers.

Ralph needs to go out and hire some management consultants that can come in and evaluate his organization from top to bottom and recommend to him steps it will take to put things together in a way that can be successful in the NFL circa 2009. It's almost inconceivable that he'll actually spend the money to do that. It's a much better bet that he approaches it the same old business-as-usual way: he'll have a talk with the cronies and hangers on; may call a few friends on the phone that he trusts; and, get out the blindfold and spin the wheel.

I can't see Wilson doing this for a pretty simple reason. I suspect that he regards giving up control of the Bills as moving one step closer to the graveyard. I have to think that he views his control over the Bills as the thing keeping him going. He's 90, for chrissake. The grim reaper is near, and I have to think his basic purpose at this point in his life is holding him off any way he can. Giving up the Bills signals the end for him.

I meant the cited record - the original post had 30-21. I should have been clearer, but there's a lot of bad numbers here ...

My fault...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/TomlMi0.htm

I mistakenly used the total games number (30) as games won. Tomlin's got a 21-9 (.700) regular season record as a head coach.

Is he the best head coach in the league? No.

Is he doing a great job as a second year head coach? Yes.

In fact, it looks like the Steelers are going to win the Superbowl this year. But hey, according to some here the guy clearly is stupid. :rolleyes:

At this point, RW's senility and power mongering converge to result in continued ineptitude. It's nothing different from the last 3 seasons. At least in 2000 he hired a football person, but that decision is preventing him from allowing anyone outside the inner circle to enter OBD with decision-making authority.

Aside from the Ford family, Al Davis, and Mike Brown, RW is the worst owner in the NFL and every passing year with mediocre results has his stamp of approval. The fact that he retains the same bad personnel people and won't hire anyone from the outside is proof to me that he's content with what he has.

Jerry Sullivan on the radio this week mentioned that Brandon fancies himself as a legitimate personnel man. We know Russ doesn't have a clue in personnel, but the idea that he thinks he does is scary. And if that's the case, then I don't see the front office changing. Then again, even the most die-hard fans are beginning to question the direction of this franchise. If nothing or only cosmetic changing is made, it won't be enough. Season ticket sales will plummet at least 10% with the current group of flunkies.

At this point, RW's senility and power mongering converge to result in continued ineptitude. It's nothing different from the last 3 seasons. At least in 2000 he hired a football person, but that decision is preventing him from allowing anyone outside the inner circle to enter OBD with decision-making authority.

Aside from the Ford family, Al Davis, and Mike Brown, RW is the worst owner in the NFL and every passing year with mediocre results has his stamp of approval. The fact that he retains the same bad personnel people and won't hire anyone from the outside is proof to me that he's content with what he has.

Jerry Sullivan on the radio this week mentioned that Brandon fancies himself as a legitimate personnel man. We know Russ doesn't have a clue in personnel, but the idea that he thinks he does is scary. And if that's the case, then I don't see the front office changing. Then again, even the most die-hard fans are beginning to question the direction of this franchise. If nothing or only cosmetic changing is made, it won't be enough. Season ticket sales will plummet at least 10% with the current group of flunkies.

Maybe they'll hire Doug Flutie as the next QB coach and sell some tickets to some Flakes. :rolleyes:

If they fire Jauron and don't turn to a retread, who do they replace him with? Do you really think they'll get anyone better from the coordinator ranks? Or are you hoping for the luck of the draw despite the uninterrupted history of Bills' failures with coordinator and position coaches going back to team's founding? Remember that Mularkey and Williams are only the last two in a very long line of abject failures in this regard -- Hank Bullough, Kay Stephenson, Jim Ringo, Harvey Johnson, and Joe Collier. In fact, the only Bills coaches in history who have been any good -- Saban, Knox, Levy, and Phillips -- had been head coaches before coming to the Bills. (I'm excluding Buster Ramsey, who had a losing record in any case.)

MARTY BALL!

If they fire Jauron and don't turn to a retread, who do they replace him with? Do you really think they'll get anyone better from the coordinator ranks? Or are you hoping for the luck of the draw despite the uninterrupted history of Bills' failures with coordinator and position coaches going back to team's founding? Remember that Mularkey and Williams are only the last two in a very long line of abject failures in this regard -- Hank Bullough, Kay Stephenson, Jim Ringo, Harvey Johnson, and Joe Collier. In fact, the only Bills coaches in history who have been any good -- Saban, Knox, Levy, and Phillips -- had been head coaches before coming to the Bills. (I'm excluding Buster Ramsey, who had a losing record in any case.)

It is simply a look at the history where Ralph as shown every sign of hating to pay an HC for not being our HC (trying to get out of paying Wade for his final year when everyone told him he would lose if he appealed but he went through the time. money and bad feelings of appealing anyway and he lost, keeping MM on the job rather than paying him when he wanted him to leave and then making the situation so bad MM simply walked away) that all indications are Ralph will not fire Jauron.

Its an interesting academic question as to who do you hire to replace him, but the real world question is how do we produce better results with Jauron. Those who do not think we can produce at least better and it is to be hoped adequate results with Jauron are left with the choices of taking a hike on being a Bills fan or simply whining aimlessly.

Its an interesting academic question as to who do you hire to replace him, but the real world question is how do we produce better results with Jauron. Those who do not think we can produce at least better and it is to be hoped adequate results with Jauron are left with the choices of taking a hike on being a Bills fan or simply whining aimlessly.

Well if I were you I would not discount the whole "taking a hike" factor because at this point keeping Jauron as HC is a potential PR nightmare waiting to happen... :rolleyes:

As a Bills fan in Phoenix who doesn't get to hear the local Buffalo sports radio, nor has the time to read every last scrap of info about the Bills on the net, why do you feel Bobby April would be a bad pick to be HC? I'm not saying that Bobby April would make a good HC, I just want to understand your viewpoint of why he wouldn't. As an outsider looking in, all I see is that his special teams have been outstanding year in, year out. I think he's ready for more responsibility as an OC or DC at the very least.

I don't understand what makes him qualified for the position. I'm sorry, but special teams is not 1/3rd of the game. Just because he's a great special teams coach, now he's qualified to make personnel decisions on offense and defense and come up with gameplans for attacking the opposing team week to week? Just think of all the things a head coach is responsible for... how is a person that is not specialized in either offense or defense going to run the direction of the team?

Listen, I think the key to a great coach is whether or not he has the ability to understand the strengths and weaknesses of his players, whether he can manage the entire squad of coaches and players by balancing the different personalities in order to get the best out of them, and whether he has the respect of everyone in the organization. Those qualities obviously don't relate to how much you know about offense or defense, but if you don't have the basic experience for everything underneath those qualities (knowing everything about the offense and defensive systems) there is no way you can do it.

Maybe Bobby has all of those qualities. Only Ralph and the people who coach with him would know. But there is no reason that any of us fans (who don't know the guy's character or personality) can assume that because our special teams are great, that he should be the next head coach. I'm sorry, but just because he can lead a unit where the guys run down the field and tackle the guy with the ball, I'm not going to assume he can handle everything I've talked about above.

I'm not saying he can't be, or that he wouldn't be a good head coach. All I'm saying is that we haven't seen and don't know enough about the guy outside of "we have a great special teams unit" to make an informed decision.

The irony of this post is off the charts. You call him ignorant 40 times, and then list the best 1st rounders of the past decade as your reference point? Seriously? Like you gotta be kidding me with this? If you are trying to create a sample group of players as an argument, DON'T USE THE BEST PLAYERS FROM THE LAST 10 YEARS! Would I take Mike Tomlin over Erik Flowers, Mike Williams, Ryan Leaf, Cade McNown, Joey Harrington, Ryan Sims, Peter Warrick, and Courtney Brown....damn right I would.

I listed the the 1st rounders to illustrate the kind of talent available in the first round, not saying its lock to get the next Payton Manning. He said he would sacrifice our 1st round pick for Tomlin, and I am stating only a fool will give up a first round pick that has the POTENTIAL to land a major impact player (on a team like us who needs some impact players at key positions) to get a young coach who has made many coaching blunders. And all just because he wins with an IMMENSELY talented team.

The funny thing is, I like Tomlin. I just get tired of people using him as the measuring stick of succesful coordinators when he has clearly proven nothing by winning with that much talent (see George Seirfert). Then to see people throwing outlandish claims that DJ would be under .500 if he was coaching Pitt is so obnoxious and absurd. I am not even saying he wont develop into a great coach, but he is not there now.

You further go onto to mention the coaches approval rating...so meaningless...his team is winning, so of course its high. General fans just care about win/loss and assume he is the greatest coach ever because the team still wins. DJ would be winning in Pitt right now and his approval rating would also be high, so how is this even a point of any susbtance?

Maybe they'll hire Doug Flutie as the next QB coach and sell some tickets to some Flakes. :rolleyes:

The rumor is that Marv is returning as HC. Marchibroda will be wooed out of his TV gig with the Colts, and "Swizzle Stick" Walt Corey can come back as DC.

If that doesn't sell tickets, nothing will. :wallbash:

Well if I were you I would not discount the whole "taking a hike" factor because at this point keeping Jauron as HC is a potential PR nightmare waiting to happen... :rolleyes:

Looking through these threads, it seems the biggest DICK SUPPORTERS are also the biggest Trent supporters. Their motive for keeping Dick must be they are afraid a GOOD HC will bring in a GOOD QB to replace Trent.