3 years with the Bills and done...

Big Turk

I have to admit I am as fed up with this coaching staff as anyone else is. However, how many times can you just fire the coaches after a few years and start from scratch with new ideas, new coaches, new gameplans, getting rid of players on the roster that don't fit the system, etc. At some point, there has to be some stability, and you have to start looking at other factors(ie, a meddling owner). There are several examples of coaches who have been very successful with a franchise that did not do so well during their first 3 years. Bellichick with the Browns had pretty similar record to Jauron his first 3 years before breaking thru his 4th year, Tom Landry had a record of 20-46-4 in his first 5 seasons before going 7-7 in his 6th and then had a winning record for 22 consecutive years. Chuck Noll had a poor record with the Steelers his first 3 seasons(12-30), before winning 4 super bowls with them later in his career.

Now, the question is, should Jauron be retained? Its a tough question. My fast answer would be hell no!! However, is this team really going to be better by changing coaches again? Probably not. Especially with the kind of coach the Bills are actually going to hire. Stability has to start sometime, and it might as well start now. If he tanks again next year, then perhaps you make the move after next year. Lets see what he can do with another year of Edwards improving and hopefully staying healthy, getting his main pass rusher back(and adding a few hopefully), and adding a few more weapons on offense(TE and 2nd WR). I still think this team should be right in the playoff mix, especially with some of the weak sisters we have played, but a few bounces here and there and some better playcalling would have been key. What if the Steelers had fired Chuck Noll after his first 3 years? Would they have won 4 super bowls later? Maybe---maybe not, we will never know, but they chose stability over a rash decision. Is Jauron going to win 4 super bowls here? Probably not. But I bet if we give him 3 more years he will get this team to the playoffs...something that a new coach probably won't do in his 3 years....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit I am as fed up with this coaching staff as anyone else is. However, how many times can you just fire the coaches after a few years and start from scratch with new ideas, new coaches, new gameplans, getting rid of players on the roster that don't fit the system, etc.

As many times as it takes Ralph Wilson to stop being a cheap ass and get a real coaching staff in there. While he's at it hire a real GM.

You upgrade your organization anytime you get a chance, if you want to compete for championships. Players, coaches, scouts, front office ... it doesn't matter when.

Unfortunately, what we likely need is what we can't have...an upgrade at owner...one that doesn't think its funny when his team plays horrible...

I have to admit I am as fed up with this coaching staff as anyone else is. However, how many times can you just fire the coaches after a few years and start from scratch with new ideas, new coaches, new gameplans, getting rid of players on the roster that don't fit the system, etc. At some point, there has to be some stability, and you have to start looking at other factors(ie, a meddling owner). There are several examples of coaches who have been very successful with a franchise that did not do so well during their first 3 years. Bellichick with the Browns had pretty similar record to Jauron his first 3 years before breaking thru his 4th year, Tom Landry had a record of 20-46-4 in his first 5 seasons before going 7-7 in his 6th and then had a winning record for 22 consecutive years. Chuck Noll had a poor record with the Steelers his first 3 seasons(12-30), before winning 4 super bowls with them later in his career.

Now, the question is, should Jauron be retained? Its a tough question. My fast answer would be hell no!! However, is this team really going to be better by changing coaches again? Probably not. Especially with the kind of coach the Bills are actually going to hire. Stability has to start sometime, and it might as well start now. If he tanks again next year, then perhaps you make the move after next year. Lets see what he can do with another year of Edwards improving and hopefully staying healthy, getting his main pass rusher back(and adding a few hopefully), and adding a few more weapons on offense(TE and 2nd WR). I still think this team should be right in the playoff mix, especially with some of the weak sisters we have played, but a few bounces here and there and some better playcalling would have been key. What if the Steelers had fired Chuck Noll after his first 3 years? Would they have won 4 super bowls later? Maybe---maybe not, we will never know, but they chose stability over a rash decision. Is Jauron going to win 4 super bowls here? Probably not. But I bet if we give him 3 more years he will get this team to the playoffs...something that a new coach probably won't do in his 3 years....

Different time, different era. Those coaches that you speak of didn't have the benefit of free agency to hurry along the rebuilding process. Jauron does.

I believe Matter 2003 that you have hit the proverbial nail on the head. You're pretty much where I am now. If only we can get a QB. I'm not certain Edwards is the answer.

How can you agree with the original post about stability for the coach and not the qb?

Different time, different era. Those coaches that you speak of didn't have the benefit of free agency to hurry along the rebuilding process. Jauron does.

True, but those teams also didn't have to worry about the star players they had on their team leaving either...so realistically its a wash...

True, but those teams also didn't have to worry about the star players they had on their team leaving either...so realistically its a wash...

Not really a wash, the losing teams had FEW stars to lose, the WINNING teams MANY. The players drafted EVENTUALLY became stars, a MUCH longer process than it SHOULD be today. Look at Miami & Atlanta as examples of TODAYS NFL.

The problem with your argument is your "time frame". You are trying to tie Jauron's 3 years in Buffalo to the other coaches first 4 overall years. Or to put it another way:

This is Jauron's 8th year as a HC.

8th, not 4th.

Landry's first 5 years were all losing seasons. He broke even in his sixth, and produced two consecutive winning seasons by his 8th.

BB won his first SB by his 7th yr, and was leading the Pats* to a second consecutive winning season.

Noll had won 2 SB, and was producing his 5th consecutive winning season.

Meanwhile, Jauron still has yet to prove he is capable of leading a team to consecutive winning seasons. Forget playoffs.

Now you want to give Jauron 3 more years (I guess the first 8 wasn't proof enough) just to make the playoffs, because you are convinced a new HC will be incapable of doing that. I do not buy that argument. There is no proof a new HC will or will not make the playoffs with this team. However, giving Jauron 3 more years to prove he is a loser is only delaying the inevitable.

I'll take my chances with a new guy.

Even with me not, ever liking Juron as a head coaching choice. I do believe that continuity is a big thing. i am eager to see what next year brings after we draft some more people and get the troops back healthy again. I thought our corners were coming into thier own before injuries hit again. And our linebackers were playing well when the front 4 could put presure. If we add some more talent on the ends and maybe another top linebacker in the draft... find more weopons and protection on offense. we might have a chance....... but the one thing that i do believe is ,our wide recievers all suck bad. They have the occasional break out game. but where is the consistancy u see on other teams. lee eveans is our best player that dissapears when the big games r on the line....sounds more like a # 2 wide reciever to me....somethings gotta give with the talent.

I believe it just comes down to talent evaluation and then talent selection. The draft.

Here's the coach talking about OT Jonathan Scott:

“He’s just an offensive tackle that we’ve liked,” said head coach Dick Jauron. “We had worked him out earlier in the year. He’s an athletic guy and we thought this time of year for next year, training camp and stuff those offensive tackles are so hard to find. So hopefully it will work out well.”

Hard to find?

Hey how about DRAFTING a freakin' offensive lineman or two, eh Dick?!?!

Do you guys think the Bills can get through April's draft without drafting a Center in the first 3 rounds?

With 3 or 4 good centers available, this is a perfect year to grab a center and tackle early.

Do you think the front orifice feels that way? Sometimes I wonder.

look at dick jaurons CAREER record. he is a career loser. hes a great guy, good person, and well liked and respected but his philosophy doesn't seem to be supported by the numbers. you cant argue with that. Can things turn around? possibly? will they? based on his established pattern of failing, probably not.

do i think jauron is the biggest problem? absolutely NOT. he is insignificant in comparison to the blunders the organization has made.

we have a senile out of touch meddling owner. thats a good place to start identifying the problem. after that there is not clear cut GM as a "football guy" with any significant power. They need a strong personality there, and most of them seem to get run out of town.

Our scouting staff is below average at best. somehow these guys survive regime after regime... possibly wilson's saving?

why is our team built with a bunch of undersized quick guys who dont like to play in the cold? we have home games outside in winter (when we arent in toronto :wallbash: ) that "should" be an advantage... we dont have intense guys on our team, we have "character" guys who hit and run.... (but all things considered i would have a team full of marshawns if i could because at least he brings it every play)

lack of overall vision and direction by the organization etc...

it doesnt matter if jauron gets fired tommorow. we will just bring in the next coach of the week, hail him as a savior and 3 years from today we will be complaining about the same situation.

jauron might be the result of the problem, but he is not the cause.

:worthy:

Not really a wash, the losing teams had FEW stars to lose, the WINNING teams MANY. The players drafted EVENTUALLY became stars, a MUCH longer process than it SHOULD be today. Look at Miami & Atlanta as examples of TODAYS NFL.

Right, but the Bills don't really sign those stars, so they get more of the downside to free agency than the upside.

We need a coach who does not just blow up things we he comes in. I was watching Mike Tomlin interview on PTI. He was a Cover 2 guy and his qualifications were on defense. However, when he came in he was like if it ain't broke don't fix it and let LeBeau keep doing his thing.

Contrast that with Gregg Williams who destroyed the third ranked defense from the year before and completely changed schemes.

Contrast that with Gregg Williams who destroyed the third ranked defense from the year before and completely changed schemes.

Actually, I remember Tom Donahoe saying in an interview that he had encouraged Gregg to blow it up rather than transition things slowly. The irony was that during the time between Phillips and Williams, Donahoe had re-worked several defensive players contracts, players that were then let go, which of course made the cap situation worse, which of course then became the excuse why the team sucked. :wallbash:

Actually, I remember Tom Donahoe saying in an interview that he had encouraged Gregg to blow it up rather than transition things slowly. The irony was that during the time between Phillips and Williams, Donahoe had re-worked several defensive players contracts, players that were then let go, which of course made the cap situation worse, which of course then became the excuse why the team sucked. :wallbash:

You're absolutely right about the cap situation, which was successfully sold to Bills fans as a nightmare even though it was largely of Donohoe's own making.

As for Jauron, I've thought a bit about it, and while I understand all of the criticisms and the arguments for firing him (many of which I think are legitimate), I come back to three factors.

1. Is the team better than last year, irrespective of the record? I think it is -- the defense seems more solid, they have a good young QB who appears as if he's getting better despite a bad game or three, and they've been blown out only once (against AZ). The second Miami game was bad too, but I blame that on the completely inept QB play from Losman, who was dreadful in that game.

2. Are they going to replace Jauron with anyone better? For my money, no. They're not going to get an elite coach because they'll be unwilling to pay, and the retreads and coordinators who'll be available (remember that many won't want to come) aren't going to turn this ship around next season. Bear in mind that the entire defensive staff is hired through the 09 season, so getting rid of Jauron means not just paying him for three years, it means paying a rather large staff that'll probably be fired for an extra year as well. That is not Wilson's MO. Strange as it may seem to say, I think that the Bills' best chance for reaching the playoffs in 09 is with Jauron. Unfortunately, the Bills have to play the NFC South and AFC South next year. I can't see them going better than 4-4 given the quality of the opponents. They'll also get the Chiefs and the Bengals.

3. Are the Bills going to run for the bus this season, as they did in 03 and 05? We'll see, but I think not. That, to me, signifies something -- they at least play hard for Jauron. For all of his faults, he is fair, and despite the constant cracks about his Yale degree, he's an intelligent guy. He's also by all accounts a good teacher, which is important for a young team. I realize that this doesn't always translate into good gametime management.

Absolutely right about the cap situation, which was successfully sold to Bills fans as a nightmare even though it was largely of Donohoe's own making.

What is with the revising of history?

THIS CAP DOESN'T FIT

Article 1 of 173 found.

Published on December 31, 2000

117{WORDCNT:-0} words

The Bills once again face an offseason of personnel purging due to the ridiculous limitations of the NFL salary cap. It is time for the cap to be abolished.

This is a free market, and clubs have the right to spend as much as they want to field the best team possible. Any owner crying otherwise is ignoring business' oldest adage: You have to spend money to make money. There are no teams that can't compete financially; there are only those unwilling to make the ...

WISE INVESTMENT

Article 111 of 173 found.

Published on April 9, 2000

99{WORDCNT:-0} words

The Buffalo Bills recently re-signed offensive tackle John Fina and Pro Bowl guard Ruben Brown. With the recent loss of several veterans due to the salary cap, these were two key players the Bills couldn't afford to lose.

The departure of Bruce Smith, Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas was a great loss for the team. But it's time now for the younger players to step forward and lead the Bills to victory just like these veterans did for many years. It was a wise decision to ...

STILL A BILL

WASHINGTON AGREES TO STAY, ACCEPT $1 MILLION PAY CUT

Article 149 of 173 found.

Published on February 12, 2000

956{WORDCNT:-0} words

MARK GAUGHAN

News Sports Reporter

The blood-letting ended -- at least for a day -- for the Buffalo Bills Friday.

The Bills kept the massive centerpiece of their defensive puzzle in place by accepting the offer of nose tackle Ted Washington to take a $1 million pay cut. Thus ended two days of financial wrangling with the two-time Pro Bowler.

"We're thrilled Ted is back with us," said Bills General Manager John Butler. "There's a concern among many when they see ...

All three articles were pulled from the Buffalo News archives.

Note the dates on every one. All were before TD arrived. (TD was hired in early 2001, IIRC)

The salary cap problem was real.

The 3 and Out will end when The Bills actually hire a HC that can Win with consistancy...This whole "lack of continuity" argument has to be one of the dumbest I've heard in a while...Lets see now...DJ goes 7-9, 7-9, and probably 6-10 in His 3 Years as a HC...So I ask the continuity freaks this...What exactly can we expect, based on what we already know about DJ as a HC, should we keep Him for another Year?...A HC who consistantly loses, and has a History of losing in the NFL, can be expected to have another losing Season can he not? That's the consistancy He brings...That's the continuity we should expect...He consistantly loses...

So why in Gods Name would Bills Fans want to see another Year of a consistant loser at HC? And Oh will it not be fun if the Bills go 6-10 or 7-9 again next Year under Jauron...There is not going to be anyone left who will sit through that garbage live...Not a soul... :rolleyes:

The 3 and Out will end when The Bills actually hire a HC that can Win with consistancy...This whole "lack of continuity" argument has to be one of the dumbest I've heard in a while...Lets see now...DJ goes 7-9, 7-9, and probably 6-10 in His 3 Years as a HC...So I ask the continuity freaks this...What exactly can we expect, based on what we already know about DJ as a HC, should we keep Him for another Year?...A HC who consistantly loses, and has a History of losing in the NFL, can be expected to have another losing Season can he not? That's the consistancy He brings...That's the continuity we should expect...He consistantly loses...

So why in Gods Name would Bills Fans want to see another Year of a consistant loser at HC? And Oh will it not be fun if the Bills go 6-10 or 7-9 again next Year under Jauron...There is not going to be anyone left who will sit through that garbage live...Not a soul... B-)

He's the opposite of Joe Torre, who constantly wins.. maybe we should hire Torre to coach the Bills, eh J.E.? :rolleyes: