Our Season Comes Down to Six Plays

May Day 10

1. Edwards' concussion early against Arizona

2a. Ginn's 60+ Yard pass reception (off McGee) Immediately after Buffalo 'took control' at Miami.

2b. Edwards fumbling @ Miami on an already successful sneak (whistle should have gone)

3. Elam's pick 6 for the Jets

4. Lindell's missed FG against Cleveland Monday night

5. Losman's SEVERELY underthrown fade pass on first down and goal

6. Losman not being able to hold onto the ball with 2:00 left on the play action against the Jets.

Considering the doom and gloom... these 6 plays could have been the difference of us being in the state we are in now... Or scrambling for playoff tickets.

with the exception of #1, most are a combination of coaching creating an optimal situation for failure, along with a severe failure on the Bills' part of executing.

2a. Ginn's 60+ Yard pass reception (off McGee) Immediately after Buffalo 'took control' at Miami.

2b. Edwards fumbling @ Miami on an already successful sneak (whistle should have gone)

6. Losman not being able to hold onto the ball with 2:00 left on the play action against the Jets.

Considering the doom and gloom... these 6 plays could have been the difference of us being in the state we are in now... Or scrambling for playoff tickets.

with the exception of #1, most are a combination of coaching creating an optimal situation for failure, along with a severe failure on the Bills' part of executing.

One more: Reggie Corner blitzing untouched from the blind side late in the Browns game. Quinn never saw him, and he had an easy sack, maybe even a sack/strip, that would have likely won the game. I don't know how he didn't make that play....

Lindell missed a key FG the next week too...

#5 above is too early in the game and proved meaningless as we had the lead still with 2:00 to go.

#6 You could also say Peters missed assignment caused JP to fumble or the idiot call by the coaches...

And we lose #1 no matter what as Warner just picked us all day...at least thats my view on that one...

Truth is, we had lots of winnable games...including several key drops by Lynch, Hardy, and Royal...Royal also had key fumbles, and Trent had more than his share of turnovers to lose us games...

You can also say we got lucky on the Jax game where hardy caught a poorly thrown ball to win the game and came within an inch of being out of bounds...it is lucky because he caught it for one since he drops so many other easier catches and two because it wasnt the best throw...

This is a round and round merri go round topic....

2 of these, the Bills lost by 10+ points...so to me to say Edwards getting KOed cost us against Arizona...after the defense did a MIA performance that day?

Every team in the league can play the shoulda-woulda-coulda game. In the age of parity, most games are decided by 3-5 plays. If you want to talk about 6 plays putting us in the playoffs, I could make a case for 6 plays putting us at 2-12 right now.

You are what your record says you are.

2 of these, the Bills lost by 10+ points...so to me to say Edwards getting KOed cost us against Arizona...after the defense did a MIA performance that day?

I think the remainder of the game is in question if that Edwards injury doesnt happen. Their first few offensive plays were successful. If I remember correctly, didnt they have to punt after JP came in and AZ scored almost immediately again? If Buffalo drives down and scores, it could have been a different game.

Plus its an important play because it is arguable that Edwards had some cobwebs and/or fear for the rest of the season. The Chargers game was an aberration, but every game since, it is nowhere near the same QB as the first 4 games. I just couldnt leave it off.

If we were able to procure Tony Gonzalez at that time

or if we had a low-risk confident QB for all 14 games

or if Lindell didnt have a funk

or if Peters doesnt hold out and doesnt fail to make a few key blocks...

would the Bills have 9 or 10 wins?

or would this team just find a way to be in the same spot? Its an overasked question, but is it coaching, is it personnel, or is it the overall attitude/direction of the franchise. I think I know my answer. It seems most of these past 9 seasons 'come down to a handful of plays' that dont go in our favor.

That play was huge. They were 0-1 in the division but still were in the driver's seat. However they really needed that win against the Jets at home to not go down 0-2 in the division and heading into NE* the following week, where they were sure to lose. Once they lost that Jets game they were 0-2 in the division and swiftly on their way to 0-3. The dice had been cast at that point and they were for all intents and purposes finished.

I would add the non-challenge by Jauron in the Pats game on the play where Welker (i think) caught the ball out of bounds...changed that whole game

One more: Reggie Corner blitzing untouched from the blind side late in the Browns game. Quinn never saw him, and he had an easy sack, maybe even a sack/strip, that would have likely won the game. I don't know how he didn't make that play....

Losman's fault too

That play was huge. They were 0-1 in the division but still were in the driver's seat. However they really needed that win against the Jets at home to not go down 0-2 in the division and heading into NE* the following week, where they were sure to lose. Once they lost that Jets game they were 0-2 in the division and swiftly on their way to 0-3. The dice had been cast at that point and they were for all intents and purposes finished.

But it wasn't SEVERELY underthrown like Losman's.

Also if Trent didn't get the concussion the D would have held Arizona to 3 points. Once Losman came in, the D started sucking.

They were cooked, IMO, even before the Cleveland game. So I don't think 4-6 are really season changing plays.

My ranking (from most damaging to least damaging): 3, 2b, 2a, 1

Get off the Kool Aid, the season basically has come down to 2 things. Coaching and Talent!!! Both are lacking and are glaringly obvious.

Last year, .500 Dick tried to skim it over by saying the season came down to a handful of plays that could have turned the season around. BULLSHIP!!!!

This team is one of the worst Bills teams of all time. There might be some "talent" supposedly, but the coaching is attrocious and the QB play hasn't been this bad since Dufek, Ferragamo and Marangi.

What little hope that was there early in the season was pi$$ed away by awful coaching only to be followed up by QB play that was nothing short of playing scared (TE) and playing completely clueless (JP).

This is the 3rd year in a row (under Jauron) that all of us Bills fans come away scratching our heads wondering what the hell is in store for us next year. Another inept team with hope, coached by Jauron or hopefully, by some small miracle (Ralph might see the Light and hire someone decent) that this team is given an overhaul and quality players* and coaches are brought in to right this Titanic once and for all?

*Not anymore of these panzy ass "character" players either, actual talented players with a desire to play with passion, heart and a desire to win at all costs!

bad teams are always within 6-8 plays of having a much better record.

It was really the turning point of the season. You can excuse the loss at Miami, but once they got behind at home to a team they should have beaten, I think the players & coaches started pressing.

But it was the coaches' job to settle everyone down and get back on track. That never happened and things just spiraled downhill. I imagine the locker room was quiet and the morale amongst the players was low, yet nobody was taking control.

Sounds eerily similar to my last job. <_<

as far as the that 1st miami game, what about the decision to start a clearly injured McGee over Leodis who looks like he'll be a lockdown corner for us for the next 10 years(or until his rookie contract runs out i.e. Clements, Winfield)