Albert Haynesworth UFA thanks to PROWBOWL Nomination

Poeticlaw

I was watching MIKE AND MIKE this morning who first off said Peters wasnt worhty of the pick but on the crawl I saw that Albert Haynesworth had a clause in his contract that if he was to be named to the probowl the team could not GIVE him the FRANCHISE TAG.

Does this mean we have a shot to get him probably not since the team will most likely apply the tranisition tag whcih allows them to match any offer given but no picks would be given up if they decided not to match. But it might be harder to get him with his sprained MCL because teams might not want to overpay incase this turns into a lingering injury. Goo thing is that he should be back for the playoofs to give us an opprotuinty to see if there are any lingering affects.

I say get this beast improve that DL. Bad Knee and all hes better then the whole DL line we have now :bag:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching MIKE AND MIKE this morning who first off said Peters wasnt worhty of the pick but on the crawl I saw that Albert Haynesworth had a clause in his contract that if he was to be named to the probowl the team could not GIVE him the FRANCHISE TAG.

Does this mean we have a shot to get him probably not since the team will most likely apply the tranisition tag whcih allows them to match any offer given but no picks would be given up if they decided not to match. But it might be harder to get him with his sprained MCL because teams might not want to overpay incase this turns into a lingering injury. Goo thing is that he should be back for the playoofs to give us an opprotuinty to see if there are any lingering affects.

I say get this beast improve that DL. Bad Knee and all hes better then the whole DL line we have now :D

I strongly agree with that statement. Imagine Haynesworth & Stroud together, that right there with an impact DE defense would be pretty stout!

He'll probably be offered an astronomical contract by someone. IIRC, the Titans agreed to not franchise him this year.

I wonder how much his injury will cost him FA.

With the cap space we have we could do it.......

We just dont have the owner willing to do it, id be shocked if Buffalo grabbed him.

With the cap space we have we could do it.......

We just dont have the owner willing to do it, id be shocked if Buffalo grabbed him.

We have the cap space to offer him a big contract; but it's not going to be bigger than anything the Redskins, Cowboys, Titans, etc. would offer. Why would he come here instead?

Don't waste your time talking about this; it's not going to happen.

We have the cap space to offer him a big contract; but it's not going to be bigger than anything the Redskins, Cowboys, Titans, etc. would offer. Why would he come here instead?

Don't waste your time talking about this; it's not going to happen.

You are 100% correct, but this doesn't mean that the Bills cannot ever be good. What is does mean is that the draft is the vehicle that provides us with our best hope of bringing in good players.

We lack talent at key positions because of poor drafting by TD and Dick Levy. We trade away the first day picks that we haven't already wasted on small, fragile defensive backs and gimmick players.

He had 3 other clauses in his contract that would guarantee him his free agency, 2 of which I think he had already surpassed or was close prior to his injury.

Food for thought wrt his contract - we already have to pay Peters 9-10 Mil a year...do you really think Ralphie will pay 10 on the other line too? AND...Stroud will want an extension now. Bank on it.

You are 100% correct, but this doesn't mean that the Bills cannot ever be good. What is does mean is that the draft is the vehicle that provides us with our best hope of bringing in good players.

We lack talent at key positions because of poor drafting by TD and Dick Levy. We trade away the first day picks that we haven't already wasted on small, fragile defensive backs and gimmick players.

I agree that that is the way we must build our team. In fact, the best-run and most successful teams do just that-- draft their key players and sign lower-tiered FA's for depth or less important positions (e.g., Steelers).

If I'm the GM, I work particularly hard on drafting key players for the "trenches" (e.g., go DT, DE, C, G in the the draft).

If I'm GM, there would also be a lot more coordination b/w this "draft-focus" philosophy and the types of schemes we run and coaches we hire. For instance, maybe it's easier to get talented, but smaller o-lineman later in the draft--so make sure the team uses a zone-blocking scheme. Or maybe it's easier to find outside rush LB's than rush 4-3 DE's--so make sure the team runs a 3-4 defense, etc.

He had 3 other clauses in his contract that would guarantee him his free agency, 2 of which I think he had already surpassed or was close prior to his injury.

Food for thought wrt his contract - we already have to pay Peters 9-10 Mil a year...do you really think Ralphie will pay 10 on the other line too? AND...Stroud will want an extension now. Bank on it.

Currently Peters is singed thru 2010 @ 3 mil a year so i dont know where you are getting your numbers form except maybe peters desired contract. :D

Assume its a perfect world and we had our pick:

Peppers:

28yrs old

6'7 283lb DE with 12.5 sacks this season, 5 FF, and 44 tackles

or

Haynesworth:

27yrs old

6'6 320lb DT with 8.5 sacks, 3 FF, and 51 tackles

Personally, I'd go with Peppers, since we've got Stroud in the middle, with a decent Williams next to him. Even if we do get Haynesworth, we still have to address the lack of a passrush from the outside.

Carolina has average DT's and Tennessee have average DE's, but we have average DT's and below average DE's. If Peppers has proven anything in his career so far, its that you don't need to have an all pro DT in the middle for him to be successful.

Cut Kelsay, pick up Peppers, and make sure Schobel is still alive, and I think our DLine is a strong one. :D

If DJ stays, going after a player like Haynesworth might not be as far fetched as it was before, Brandon is going to need to fill the seats somehow.

As somebody pointed out above, we're probably going to have to re-up Peters this offseason to avoid another episode like we had during the preseason. Inking Peters and Haynesworth might be more than this team is willing to spend in one offseason.

C'mon Ralph...you said we didn't have the talent. Now put your money where your mouth is....we're waiting....

I think we should all go on a hunger strike and inform Ralph we won't eat solid food until he signs Haynesworth.

Interesting that he's cleaned up his act since the head stomping incident. Doesn't appear to be any lingering doubts.

As somebody pointed out above, we're probably going to have to re-up Peters this offseason to avoid another episode like we had during the preseason. Inking Peters and Haynesworth might be more than this team is willing to spend in one offseason.

Actually if they did plan on extend peter the last game of the season would be the best time to do it still counts towards this year not next.