Mort reporting on Jauron

What are the odds Ralph can find another coach who when asked why are you deferring on winning the coin toss can't give a coherent answer? Pretty hard to do worse if you are choosing coaches blindfolded and throwing darts, I'd say.

Agreed, I know Jauron wasn't put in the best of circumstances, but I think he is a ridiculously bad coach. I mean, the guy calls timeouts to think about whether he wants to challenge plays. Just think about that for a second. His clock management, his gameplan, his philosophy, they're just atrocious. I don't even care about the apparent lack of emotion, I'm just saying he must be the dumbest guy in the history of the Ivy League.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying DJ is a good coach or that we should keep him, but try to be accurate.

He was asked about why he deferrs and he stated to the reporter asking the question: "I've told you before, we have our reasons, you can figure it out, other teams can figure it out if they want, but I'm not giving our reasons." To me that's a totally legit answer.

Everyone here seems to think they are owed totally honest responses from DJ and everyone else and the team need to tell everything that's going on. Yes it would be nice, but not their job to do, or should they.

What are the odds Ralph can find another coach who when asked why are you deferring on winning the coin toss can't give a coherent answer? Pretty hard to do worse if you are choosing coaches blindfolded and throwing darts, I'd say.

I'm not saying DJ is a good coach or that we should keep him, but try to be accurate.

He was asked about why he deferrs and he stated to the reporter asking the question: "I've told you before, we have our reasons, you can figure it out, other teams can figure it out if they want, but I'm not giving our reasons." To me that's a totally legit answer.

Everyone here seems to think they are owed totally honest responses from DJ and everyone else and the team need to tell everything that's going on. Yes it would be nice, but not their job to do, or should they.

It is an acceptable answer because it's a moot point. EVERY team exercises its ability to defer now. Of all the issues with this team, our coin toss decision is the LEAST of them. Who was the jackass reporter who asked the question in the first place?

Agreed, I know Jauron wasn't put in the best of circumstances, but I think he is a ridiculously bad coach. I mean, the guy calls timeouts to think about whether he wants to challenge plays. Just think about that for a second. His clock management, his gameplan, his philosophy, they're just atrocious. I don't even care about the apparent lack of emotion, I'm just saying he must be the dumbest guy in the history of the Ivy League.

I'm thinking he calls some timeouts because he can't decide quick enough whether he wants one or not. His mind is way too slow for the NFL. Doubt that he could cut it as college coach, even one with low standards.

It is an acceptable answer because it's a moot point. EVERY team exercises its ability to defer now. Of all the issues with this team, our coin toss decision is the LEAST of them. Who was the jackass reporter who asked the question in the first place?

EVERY team doesn't defer. It's a perfectly legitimate question as this deference has been consistently unsuccessful when exercised as of late. His answer to this "moot" question reveals the larger issue--he has zero confidence in his offense.

EVERY team doesn't defer. It's a perfectly legitimate question as this deference has been consistently unsuccessful when exercised as of late. His answer to this "moot" question reveals the larger issue--he has zero confidence in his offense.

Not only do I agree...but the Bills have been playing from behind in like 11 of their 13 games in the first quarter...It's pretty evident that deferring is f*cking retarded and backfiring incredibly.

He said Jauron did sign the extension during the Bills 4-0 run to start the season. He also said that when asked about Jauron's future Ralph said, "No comment." Mort said it is "not a good sign" (referring to Jauron's status).

ohhh well say luuuuu veeee

And said lack of confidence would be justified.

One could just as easily make the point that he does it out of confidence in the defense, also justifiable. How much do we LOVE giving up TD's on the opening drive, though? IIRC, that's how Miami and SF BOTH scored the only TD's of the game: on the opening drive.

Thank you. Can we get off this point now?

I am no fan of this coaching staff, but as long as Ralph Wilson is making the decisions, I think there is a better than average chance that Jaurons' successor will fail as well...this team has had 3 good headcoaches in 49 years...unless Ralph is serious about doing what it will take to win, why bother giving Jauron his walking papers...it will be more of the same, only the names will be changed to protect the bottom line...or, maybe Ralph is just trying to get all of us so despondant, we will be begging him to take his team somewhere else, and he can sleep at night, thinking we drove them out of town...what a mess....

ralph has no idea about how to win! that's the problem with this franchise. he got lucky with bill polian and then he ran him out of town. HE IS AN INCOMPETENT.

extension was hopefully based on making playoffs this year

<_< You are talking Ralph Wilson here... The same guy that turned down a 13 million dollar offer to purchase one of his racehorses in the 70's... Age hasn't made him one bit smarter.

"What bargaining chip would Jauron have even after 4-0? ... Does he strike anyone as a guy who would walk or a coach that anyone else would hire?"

SPOT ON, though the sad reality is that there would be a team that would hire Jauron, because owners love a retread head coach in the NFL.

However, would there be any competition for Jauron? Highly unlikely, which is the poster's point.

The way it should've worked (and might've, we still don't know), was that Jauron should've been given a 1 year extension, with an option to convert to 3 years upon achieving some condition - such as reaching the playoffs this year. No NFL coach can be effective without at least a deal in effect that covers at least the next season, or he loses a significant amount of leverage over his own team.

For those who are hoping that the extension is contingent upon anything, don't get your hopes up. I really doubt that an extension would kick in for a coach because he makes the playoffs in the same year which he signs said extension. I can see something like this built into the original 3-year contract...that he makes the playoffs by the end of year 3...but I wouldn't do this in the middle of the season. Not to say it didn't happen, but I just think it's unlikely.

Nevertheless, the mere fact that Ralph & Russ were mum on anything regarding Jauron's status Sunday tells me something's afoot.

As far as Mort goes, I don't trust anything he says anymore. His credibility is lost with me and you can see some tension on the air when he's talking to the other members of the E$PN crew. I caught the end of it, but it looked like he & Steve Young had an interesting exchange last night.

Perhaps someone who realizes that the Bills have an excellent return game. What better way to get the home fans fired up than a huge return of the opening KO.

The Bills have been mum on whether or not an extension was given. Jauron has been mum.

What is one of the main reasons to give an extension?

After keeping a good coach the reason is so the team, the fans & the media realize that the HC is not a lame duck. There is no benefit to the Bills or Jauron to keep an extension quiet. Think about this in terms of a 4-0, 5-1 team, not a 6-7 team on a major slide. At the time the supposed extension was signed there was zero benefit to keeping it quiet and every benefit to making it very very public.

That tells me there is no extension. :rolleyes:

Perhaps someone who realizes that the Bills have an excellent return game. What better way to get the home fans fired up than a huge return of the opening KO.

The only time I can see deferring, is if weather issues play into it. At the very least, receiving the ball first gives you the opportunity to establish some sort of field position advantage. Of course, the Cleveland game proved that good field position is lost on the Bills as well...

To me, deferring as a rule, implies a lack of confidence that your team can dictate a game to the other, and you are assuming that you will need whatever shot in the arm getting the ball to start the second half might give your team. It is kind of wimpy...I know it has been said before, but this coaching staff seems to think that the only way it can win, is to trick, or "out-think" the other team...they can't win by just playing the game, and executing plays. That is the team that Levy and Jauron built for us...problem is, Jauron may be the slowest thinking Yale graduate, other than old whats' his face...he isn't out-thinking anyone.