Jauron gone?

BeastMode54

Interesting. How long till we run the next guy out of town?

What's interesting about your list of coaches is that they are all from pre-free agency days. Back then it took years to develop a winning team. Have you noticed any teams that have turned around miraculously this year? Miami? Atlanta? Arizona? Ya' think maybe coaching had a role in that?

PTR

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would help if he is better. Change for the sake of change isn't going to do it. DJ has angered me greatly over this losing stretch, and I don't think he is a very good coach, so I am eager for him to be replaced. But there is a little step back before a step forward with a new coach and a new system, so it is crucial that our next coach be better than Jauron, not just a new face. I am very wary of a change in the shuffle of below average coaches, and hope we can find a way go get someone who will actually be very good at his job, and not just at "getting his guys to play hard".

Time to wake up - this organization is a laughing stock around the country and the leadership from the top down is shameful. The players lack leadership and seem apathetic to what's going on as well. This is a downward spiral that is going to end with this team playing in another city in 2013. Jauron being fired is not the issue...it's a symptom of a fundamental breakdown of the organization as a whole. The owner is ancient and out of touch, the coaching staff is a gummed-together hodge-podge of also-rans, rookies, and rejects, and the fan base is drunk.

3 years--the usual

A coach should be given precisely as much (or as little) time as it takes to determine whether he has what it takes to build a winning program. Sometimes, it's obvious after one season that a guy is not going to get it done. (In Jauron's case, many of us strongly suspected that was the case one second after he was hired.) The Fish sacked Cam Cameron after one season. Bobby Petrino lasted less than one season in Atlanta. It should now be painfully obvious to any sentient being that Jauron is never going to take this team to the "next level". Therefore, every second he remains in Buffalo is time wasted.

I think the team is showing a lack of heart...at the same time I am tired of the 3 year cycle of hiring/firing. I am leaning towards giving Jauron another year to turn this ship around.

While I'm hesitant to start over YET again. I simply haven't seen anything from Jauron that tells me he has the answers or is even LOOKING for the answers to how to get this team to become a winner. It's for that reason that I believe he needs to go.

Part of me thinks we need a new coach, but with all of the young players learning a new system, I'm not so sure it would help

"New system" my as_ .... seems like things are working quite well in Atlanta & Miami..... <_<

Time to wake up - this organization is a laughing stock around the country and the leadership from the top down is shameful. The players lack leadership and seem apathetic to what's going on as well. This is a downward spiral that is going to end with this team playing in another city in 2013. Jauron being fired is not the issue...it's a symptom of a fundamental breakdown of the organization as a whole. The owner is ancient and out of touch, the coaching staff is a gummed-together hodge-podge of also-rans, rookies, and rejects, and the fan base is drunk.

Yes, and bad moves by the owner could prevent any chance of it turning around. However the owner bringing in a new and fully empowered GM/HC (one person or two) is enough of a change to make it happen and turn things around. That new HC would turn over the coaching staff, which is relatively easy, and if empowered he could bring in quality people. I don't honestly think based on evidence that Ralph will do it and could actually pursue, pay, and empower the right person. But it can happen. Remember that the Yankees were terrible for the 80s as Steinbrenner mismanaged and interfered. Then he wised up and got empowered baseball people to make the actual decisions and the became a power again. If Ralph doesn't have a change of understanding and keeps living (as I consult my actuarial table) then it will be hard for things to turn around without dumb luck (like Jauron's 13-3 season). But maybe the old guy will look at the last couple weeks and say "Enough is enough, I want to see this team win before I go".

Any way you could re-phrase that? I'm not following.

The idea isn't to prove anything, its just to show nobody knows where Jauron will go from here. Jauron COULD be Kotite. He also COULD be Vermeil. Regardless, his job performance thus far gains some perspective from this in my opinion, and doesn't necessarily justify a firing.

As to whether he'd go down or up, my guess is that he's just like the vast majority of the other coaches around the league, meaning that if you give him quality personnel on both lines and at least mediocrity everywhere else, you'll like the results. If you can't do that, you're just going to keep blaming your Head Coach every three years for your own failures.

I do blame someone who is a terrible game day coach, cannot manage the game, is constantly coaching "not to lose",and does not know how/when to use timeouts. I am sick of hearing the lame argument about changing coaches every 3 yrs. .... DJ is a LOSER

Lets see Mangini took over the jets 10-6, who ever the dolphins coach is 8-5 tied for division, Harborough for baltimore 9-4,

Pit, falcons there might be more but comeon first year coaches with new teams are winning regardless of the talent of their team it is possible to win with new coaching it doesnt mean doom and gloom here we go again. Bring in the right coach upgrade the players that need upgrading and teach this team to win <_<

You are absolutely right. The Head Coach is like your QB, you keep keep searching until you find the right one. When the right one comes along, you will know. Everything will come together. The problem with the Bills is they seem to get these two decisions wrong all the time, then wait too long to move on.

3 years--the usual

Greetings from the wonderful state of California. We all know Jauron needs to go. As nice as he is, he is not capable of leading a NFL team to victory. In his first year as head coach he had a 13-3 record with the Bears and was named Coach of the Year. That unfortunately has been his high water mark. Since then he has not finished above .500, and you all forget that he also did a half season stint as an interm head coach after Mariucci was fired in Detroit. We all know how that went.

Jauron has good offensive line play, his Quarterbacks just hold on to the ball too long. Whether it is from the recievers not getting open, or fear we will never know. Either way it sounds like a coaching issue to me. Their defense is great as far as I am concerned. They won't win many games, but they won't lose games either, and the Bills have the best special teams unit in the NFL, despite there woes against the Browns. I like Perry Fewell's defense, I don't like Turk Schonert's offense. Turk Schonert was with Jauron in Detroit, ahem, DETROIT!!!!!! So was Fewell for that matter. Now Fewell has done well, but the others haven't. I saw the chart that was posted about coaches in the first 45 games, but this is the NFL (Not For Long). With all of the coaching talent out there the Bills would be stupid not to look elsewhere at this point.

My vote is for Jim Kelly as offensive coordinator.

You are dead on. Jauron's coaching style does not lend itself to improvement. Rather, it wins 7 games simply by taking advantage of bad teams who are making mistakes in the name of progress.

Last year, I made the point about the 2006 Bills beating teams like Jax and GB, who then went on to their respective conference championship games in 2007 while the Bills repeated their mediocrity. But it's even more obvious in 2008, when you look at what the teams the Bills beat LAST year are doing THIS year. Six combined wins versus the Jets, Fish, Ravens and Redskins. All of those teams are playing playoff caliber football this year. It's remarkable, especially when you consider that 3 of those teams changed coaches too. What next year? Are the Chiefs, Raiders and Rams going to pass us? WTF?

They aren't getting better, folks. What's more, they are uninspired by the coaching and it shows in a lack of discipline and focus, which translates to the missed blocks and tackles, dropped passes etc.. that some seem to think is not tied to coaching.

The truth is that they aren't better without the beer goggles. Each year under Jauron they have beaten teams with progressively worse winning percentages. The wins may hover in the same 6-7 range each season, but they beat weaker and weaker sisters of the poor -- and find new ways to choke and lose to them as well.

If Jauron has enough excuses accumulated for another go around next year, then the schedule next year is shaping up, on paper, to be much more difficult that the cream puff line-up of this year. The Bills will also be coming off one of the highest "Acapulco cliff diving" collapses in sports history if they manage to turn a 5-1 start into a 6-10 free fall season. At the start of this season, I guessed 7 wins. But, we'd be lucky to win 3 next year under that scenario.

I think I can solve our problem:

Found this nugget on an Auburn University football (For those who do not know, they are looking for a HC)

Have I got the coach for them.

We give them Jauron, they take his salary, and we get the ball boy, plus perhaps a cheerleader to be named later.

If they get really greedy, we'll include Fewell in the deal.

That's more than fair.

He did once go 13-3 after all.

"Once." The key word there. Only winning season in his career, followed up by a 4-12 and a 7-9 season.

What's interesting about your list of coaches is that they are all from pre-free agency days. Back then it took years to develop a winning team. Have you noticed any teams that have turned around miraculously this year? Miami? Atlanta? Arizona? Ya' think maybe coaching had a role in that?

PTR

Agreed, and I still don't like the apples-and-oranges comparisons of say, Tom Landry's first three years as a head coach versus Jauron's first three years with his third team (full years #6, 7 and 8 of Jauron's career.)