My impression of where the Bills are

OGTEleven

From reading the board, I think I'm in the minority on most specific categories when it comes to the Bills. One area where I'm with the crowd is being totally disappointed by 2008.

Believe it or not, I think I get what the Bills are trying to do with the team. They are trying to have a strong defense, which creates turnovers and a safe, reliable, non-explosive offense which converts those turnovers to points and holds onto the ball. I think we can agree that they are not there yet. To me the strategy makes sense for a cold weather team like the Bills. I don't think we are that many players away, but we simply don't have the personnel right now. The guys we do have, especially on offense, don't have the right skill sets to adjust.

The players we are missing IMO are a good pass rushing DE to go with Schobel, another solid DT, an outside LB and probably another LB for depth, a TE and first and foremost a Center. That is quite a few players, but with those guys, we are a winning team.

Right now, with Schobel out and no pass rush, we are not going to get many turnovers from any NFL team. The defense is still holding teams to low point totals most games. That is a good sign. If we can get and sustain pressure on the opposing QB, we can get picks, fumbles and sacks.

If we get turnovers, a Center and a TE, I think the O can do its part of the plan. I have to admit I am worried about QB but I don't think the Bills have a choice there. JP is gone, and Edwards has to be the man. At the beginning of the year I actually liked them both. As of now I I agree with the consensus on JP and have serious doubts about Edwards. He is seemingly made for the plan I listed above, but there must be something real bad on film. The last few teams we've played seem to know exactly how to stop him. Much of the pressure from the opposing D has come from the middle all year. We can't run there, and the pass rush from there kills us. I have to believe if we were better there the offense would be much better both running and passing (I would hope this would give Edwards more options and get rid of his indecision). A TE would be another option which would seem to fit Edwards' style. I have my fingers crossed on Edwards but wouldn't mind seeing a journeyman vet as JP's replacement.

Ok, here goes the unpopular part. I think Jauron is the right coach for the team I described. If I think the team is short on talent to execute it's strategy (which I do), how can I blame the coaches? If you're building an offense that is meant to be slow and steady, but is a few players short, can you suddenly turn them into mad bombers? If your defense is supposed to create turnovers, and your #1 pass rusher is out most of the season along with an incomplete interior D and a thin LB corps, are you going to get turnovers? If they replace Jauron, they replace him, but I hope it is with a coach that can manage the style of play we are building. I do not want some loud mouthed idiot like Brian Billick who is hired for the sake of headlines.

I think Brandon/Modrak are generally doing a good job of building the described team. We'll see about Hardy and I really didn't like the Ellis pick, but they have drafted for need. I think they will continue to do so.

Ralph is Ralph and complain all you want. The bottom line is that without him there never was a team in Buffalo. There are money grubbing owners all over the league that would love to have the Bills in LA or Toronto so that they could make extra money (Kraft and Jones come to mind). Ralph may be meddling but one thing I do believe and appreciate is that he is trying to keep the Bills the BUFFALO Bills.

It's not really in line with the rest of my post but I thought I'd mention that one Bills player (my current favorite) who would fit in perfectly with the old Bills and exemplifies what I'd like the Bills to be is Josh Reed.

Well that puts it all into perspective doesn't it? See though the problem with your theory is this: We are on year 3 of his tenure and no better then we were 3 years ago. Doesn't Jauron make personnel decisions as well? Why have other teams been able to do it faster? Fins come to mind and they didn't bring in too many big names in FA. So if you mean that Jaroun is the perfect coach for a team that spins it's wheels, then I agree.

Well that puts it all into perspective doesn't it? See though the problem with your theory is this: We are on year 3 of his tenure and no better then we were 3 years ago. Doesn't Jauron make personnel decisions as well? Why have other teams been able to do it faster? Fins come to mind and they didn't bring in too many big names in FA. So if you mean that Jaroun is the perfect coach for a team that spins it's wheels, then I agree.

Fins got lucky that Pennington fell into their laps...he accelerated their progression by at least a year, maybe two. But they made the move and we didn't so....

It took Jauron 5 years in Chicago to do nothing and Lovie Smith came in and had the Bears in the playoffs in his 2nd and 3rd year.

From reading the board, I think I'm in the minority on most specific categories when it comes to the Bills. One area where I'm with the crowd is being totally disappointed by 2008.

Believe it or not, I think I get what the Bills are trying to do with the team. They are trying to have a strong defense, which creates turnovers and a safe, reliable, non-explosive offense which converts those turnovers to points and holds onto the ball. I think we can agree that they are not there yet. To me the strategy makes sense for a cold weather team like the Bills. I don't think we are that many players away, but we simply don't have the personnel right now. The guys we do have, especially on offense, don't have the right skill sets to adjust.

The players we are missing IMO are a good pass rushing DE to go with Schobel, another solid DT, an outside LB and probably another LB for depth, a TE and first and foremost a Center. That is quite a few players, but with those guys, we are a winning team.

Right now, with Schobel out and no pass rush, we are not going to get many turnovers from any NFL team. The defense is still holding teams to low point totals most games. That is a good sign. If we can get and sustain pressure on the opposing QB, we can get picks, fumbles and sacks.

If we get turnovers, a Center and a TE, I think the O can do its part of the plan. I have to admit I am worried about QB but I don't think the Bills have a choice there. JP is gone, and Edwards has to be the man. At the beginning of the year I actually liked them both. As of now I I agree with the consensus on JP and have serious doubts about Edwards. He is seemingly made for the plan I listed above, but there must be something real bad on film. The last few teams we've played seem to know exactly how to stop him. Much of the pressure from the opposing D has come from the middle all year. We can't run there, and the pass rush from there kills us. I have to believe if we were better there the offense would be much better both running and passing (I would hope this would give Edwards more options and get rid of his indecision). A TE would be another option which would seem to fit Edwards' style. I have my fingers crossed on Edwards but wouldn't mind seeing a journeyman vet as JP's replacement.

Ok, here goes the unpopular part. I think Jauron is the right coach for the team I described. If I think the team is short on talent to execute it's strategy (which I do), how can I blame the coaches? If you're building an offense that is meant to be slow and steady, but is a few players short, can you suddenly turn them into mad bombers? If your defense is supposed to create turnovers, and your #1 pass rusher is out most of the season along with an incomplete interior D and a thin LB corps, are you going to get turnovers? If they replace Jauron, they replace him, but I hope it is with a coach that can manage the style of play we are building. I do not want some loud mouthed idiot like Brian Billick who is hired for the sake of headlines.

I think Brandon/Modrak are generally doing a good job of building the described team. We'll see about Hardy and I really didn't like the Ellis pick, but they have drafted for need. I think they will continue to do so.

Ralph is Ralph and complain all you want. The bottom line is that without him there never was a team in Buffalo. There are money grubbing owners all over the league that would love to have the Bills in LA or Toronto so that they could make extra money (Kraft and Jones come to mind). Ralph may be meddling but one thing I do believe and appreciate is that he is trying to keep the Bills the BUFFALO Bills.

It's not really in line with the rest of my post but I thought I'd mention that one Bills player (my current favorite) who would fit in perfectly with the old Bills and exemplifies what I'd like the Bills to be is Josh Reed.

WE NEEDED A TE IN THE LAST DRAFT AND DID NOT GET ONE. DUSTIN KELLER WAS THERE AT OUR 3RD PICK.

WE TOOK ELLIS.THERE WERE ALSO PLENTY OTHER WIDE OUTS THAT COULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN. AFTER THE HARDY PICK AND WHO KNOWS IF HE WAS THE RIGHT PICK EVERYBODY ELSE WAS A JOKE.IT DID NOT LOOK LIKE THEY WERE DRAFTING FOR NEED.

Well...

If this is the type of Team the Bills are trying to build and they don't have the talent to run the system properly it's still Jauron's fault because He has final say on personnel...

To be honest these very few threads that defend Jauron kind of read like this to me...As soon as I read that Jauron should not be canned or that He's not the real problem the rest is blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

I'm sorry Folks...But if You can't see that we get out-coached on almost every Sunday you may just want to start watching Hockey, or Basketball or another Sport that is easier to understand then Football...The Bills have lost 6 consecutive Games that were within reach well into the 2nd Half...6 Games in a row these Coaches who are led by Dead Dick came up short of pulling anything off...They have lost to good Teams, average Teams, and poor teams...They looked just about the same against all of them...Whether or not these Players respect Jauron, they are not buying what He's selling...They have gone sour and they have given up...

Ultimately, regardless of the root cause, Jauron is the most responsible...Period...End of story... :lol:

WE NEEDED A TE IN THE LAST DRAFT AND DID NOT GET ONE. DUSTIN KELLER WAS THERE AT OUR 3RD PICK.

WE TOOK ELLIS.THERE WERE ALSO PLENTY OTHER WIDE OUTS THAT COULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN. AFTER THE HARDY PICK AND WHO KNOWS IF HE WAS THE RIGHT PICK EVERYBODY ELSE WAS A JOKE.IT DID NOT LOOK LIKE THEY WERE DRAFTING FOR NEED.

Stop yelling, I have a hangover :lol: ouch...must..... not.... bang.... head... into..... wall.

Fins got lucky that Pennington fell into their laps...he accelerated their progression by at least a year, maybe two. But they made the move and we didn't so....

I don't want Pennington. Did you even watch that game?? THEY SUCK! They won because 16 points is a blow-out against us. He couldn't convert the critical 3rd and 10 because he couldn't his a fairly wide open receiver. Trent Edwards will, no matter what, in my opinion be better than Cad Pennington. He has no talent and barely completes 30 yard passes. He's got composure, but that hasn't won him a playoff game yet.

I don't want Pennington. Did you even watch that game?? THEY SUCK! They won because 16 points is a blow-out against us. He couldn't convert the critical 3rd and 10 because he couldn't his a fairly wide open receiver. Trent Edwards will, no matter what, in my opinion be better than Cad Pennington. He has no talent and barely completes 30 yard passes. He's got composure, but that hasn't won him a playoff game yet.

Again, best completion percentage in NFL history. He has no arm, but he makes it work. I respect the man, and so do his teammates. They refer to him as "Coach Pennington".

Again, best completion percentage in NFL history. He has no arm, but he makes it work. I respect the man, and so do his teammates. They refer to him as "Coach Pennington".

That's fine. I don't see that guy winning a playoff game anytime soon. We don't have the answer, but at least Trent Edwards is better than Pennington. Pennington has the best backfield in football, and only mustered 16 points on us with like 800 minutes in time of possession.

That's fine. I don't see that guy winning a playoff game anytime soon. We don't have the answer, but at least Trent Edwards is better than Pennington. Pennington has the best backfield in football, and only mustered 16 points on us with like 800 minutes in time of possession.

The Vikings have the best backfield in football. The Fins are somewhere in the top 10, but it's a difficult thing to rank. However, the combo of Peterson and Taylor has to be #1. I'd put the Giants at #2, but only because I think their efficiency has more to do with the O-line than the actual runners. Where do you come up with the Fins having hte #1 backfield?

Well...

If this is the type of Team the Bills are trying to build and they don't have the talent to run the system properly it's still Jauron's fault because He has final say on personnel...

To be honest these very few threads that defend Jauron kind of read like this to me...As soon as I read that Jauron should not be canned or that He's not the real problem the rest is blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...

I'm sorry Folks...But if You can't see that we get out-coached on almost every Sunday you may just want to start watching Hockey, or Basketball or another Sport that is easier to understand then Football...The Bills have lost 6 consecutive Games that were within reach well into the 2nd Half...6 Games in a row these Coaches who are led by Dead Dick came up short of pulling anything off...They have lost to good Teams, average Teams, and poor teams...They looked just about the same against all of them...Whether or not these Players respect Jauron, they are not buying what He's selling...They have gone sour and they have given up...

Ultimately, regardless of the root cause, Jauron is the most responsible...Period...End of story... :lol:

If they must let Jauron go, they must.

Persoanlly, I would like to see them stick with the style they have been trying to build rather than trash that too. They are 4-5 players away from being good, IMO. In their recent drought, if they got an extra turnover in each game, they could have easily won 3 of them.

If Jauron has to go, so be it. I'm just saying that the style should stick and getting someone to manage that (better than Jauron) is the best way to go. I doubt changing to some headline grabber would produce results. It is more likely it would produce throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I probably should have left the entire Jauron paragraph out of my original post. I am interested to see if people agree or disagree with the rest, but everyone just fixated on Jauron.

We don't have the answer, but at least Trent Edwards is better than Pennington.

I'm not a Pennington fan at all but what has TE done to make you think he is better then Pennington? I hope that Trent is the answer but he hasn't done sh-- in this league yet. Potential does not always = performance. There was a time that a lot of us thought JP was better then Pennington. We were wrong.

If they must let Jauron go, they must.

Persoanlly, I would like to see them stick with the style they have been trying to build rather than trash that too. They are 4-5 players away from being good, IMO. In their recent drought, if they got an extra turnover in each game, they could have easily won 3 of them.

If Jauron has to go, so be it. I'm just saying that the style should stick and getting someone to manage that (better than Jauron) is the best way to go. I doubt changing to some headline grabber would produce results. It is more likely it would produce throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I probably should have left the entire Jauron paragraph out of my original post. I am interested to see if people agree or disagree with the rest, but everyone just fixated on Jauron.

That's a lot of players to add in 1 year that will be quality and a contribution. We also have to figure in that some of "our" guys are getting to that point of natural atrition in skills set- speed particularly and accumulation of injuries and will need additional replacements.

I get your point though of having a coach want to install a system. What i don't get though, is that a coach can't be flexible within that system to utilise available skill sets and take advantage of what he's got. It's like a perfect storm, balancing FA, draft and retirement of players that you ultimately get the perfect guys for your perfect system... you just gotta be more flexible and creative than that.

We had zero pass rush with Scobel in there. What the hell are you talking about?

I'm not a Pennington fan at all but what has TE done to make you think he is better then Pennington? I hope that Trent is the answer but he hasn't done sh-- in this league yet. Potential does not always = performance. There was a time that a lot of us thought JP was better then Pennington. We were wrong.

Eh, that's probably my point. I'm so anti-Pennington that I'd rather have a guy based off the potential Edwards has shown (aka beating up on awful teams). I agree Edwards has shown us nothing, hell, he might not even be our starter next year, but I just see much more upside in having him than Pennington as our 2009 QB.

To me, that is the only thing that matters in all of this. Buffalo has to stay in Buffalo. That would be the worst loss in team history if Buffalo Bills moved to another city.

Isn't there something to be said for a coaching staff being able to make do with the hand they're dealt, dealing with it, and the ability to keep winning? Who thinks that the Dolphins are a perfect team? Or even has clearly superior talent to the Bills? Yet, they swept us. The Patriots have a 5th string RB starting, a backup QB, plug in an ancient Junior Seau off the street, and they keep on winning.