Caroline Kennedy....?

How would you feel if Neil or Marvin Bush was named to replace a sitting Senator?

Don't know much about either one of them, so I can't say. But, I wouldn't think it was unusual, or bad, simply because their name was "Bush".

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My reaction to this news was negative. While I do lean right, my objection has nothing to do with the fact that she is a Kennedy.

My objection comes from the fact that she is a political novice who will be expected to represent a state in terrible financial shape to DC. She has no experience with anything related to NY that doesn't begin or end in Manhattan. Upstate needs more representation, not less.

Chuck Schumer, while a die-hard liberal, is visible and present in upsate all the freakin' time. At least I know he's putting in a day's work for a day's pay as my rep in the senate.

To the extent that being a representative involves being smart, principled (technically, it's true but often sadly untrue in reality), and able to negotiate and work well with others - she's qualified. And she's smart, she can learn. Just because Kennedy has been reluctant to be involved in politics does not mean she doesn't have an understanding of the issues, a desire to do right by her constituents and the ability to come up to speed quickly. Of the people I know in Congress, they were all "green" at some point. I think she'd do well. I think it'll be her or a Cuomo, and NYS could do worse.

It's interesting that people are doggin Obama for selecting cabinet members who are veterans of the system...yet they're nervous about a Senator who is (arguably) not a Washington insider....can't have it both ways.

To the extent that being a representative involves being smart, principled (technically, it's true but often sadly untrue in reality), and able to negotiate and work well with others - she's qualified. And she's smart, she can learn. Just because Kennedy has been reluctant to be involved in politics does not mean she doesn't have an understanding of the issues, a desire to do right by her constituents and the ability to come up to speed quickly. Of the people I know in Congress, they were all "green" at some point. I think she'd do well. I think it'll be her or a Cuomo, and NYS could do worse.

It's interesting that people are doggin Obama for selecting cabinet members who are veterans of the system...yet they're nervous about a Senator who is (arguably) not a Washington insider....can't have it both ways.

For me, the issue isn't so much that she's a novice or very liberal or a Kennedy (she actually comes across far more intellegently in interviews than most of the clan). The issue is more that while she will be learning the job, she will also be (hopefully) trying to get up to speed on upstate issues while the financial sector meltdown (centered on downstate) will consume an inordinate amount of her time and energy as she tries to get up to speed on that. At a time when WNY's limited influence in DC wanes ever further, I don't see her appointment helping in that matter.

I think it would be very good if Higgins were put into that position, but I don't see it happening. Although I'd probably never vote for her as Senator, given the fact that the appointee will be a liberal democrat, I'd probably like to see Slaughter get nominated for the slot.

Again, given the constraints of who will be nominated for what, if Caroline were given a position in the Federal government, I'd prefer to see her heading Education.

Kid you not...on a new radio show this AM I heard a liberal who bashed the HELL out of Palin for WEEKS extoll Kennedy becuase...hope youre sitting down...."Shes a mother."

Well, if that was the crux of the evaluation: "She is a good choice, because she is a mother", then it is simply stupid.

Kid you not...on a new radio show this AM I heard a liberal who bashed the HELL out of Palin for WEEKS extoll Kennedy becuase...hope youre sitting down...."Shes a mother."

So you wasted your time listening to a moron. Extremists on BOTH sides are not worth paying any attention to.

I think the amazing thing is that while you all go back and forth between Kennedy, lack of experience, left, right or whatever we seem to have forgotten our roots. We are for the most part from and proud of our WNY roots and should all be livid that there could potentially be someone who probably could give two rat's asses about WNY selected to a very powerful position. I'm not up on the political/business leaders of WNY but what that state doesn't need is some rich, priviledged person from NYC. I feel sorry of all of you still there.

I think the amazing thing is that while you all go back and forth between Kennedy, lack of experience, left, right or whatever we seem to have forgotten our roots. We are for the most part from and proud of our WNY roots and should all be livid that there could potentially be someone who probably could give two rat's asses about WNY selected to a very powerful position. I'm not up on the political/business leaders of WNY but what that state doesn't need is some rich, priviledged person from NYC. I feel sorry of all of you still there.

Is it your belief that she'll take the job and then do nothing for her constituents?

<_<

I'm assuming you had no problem voting the for the rich privileged person occupying the whitehouse right now.

Is it your belief that she'll take the job and then do nothing for her constituents?

<_<

I'm assuming you had no problem voting the for the rich privileged person occupying the whitehouse right now.

Oh she'll do pleny for her constituenst. I'm just not sure she knows who they are.

Maybe the fact that WNY is just sitting on it's collective hands waiting for Albany or Washington to come to the rescue is a bigger problem then who may or may not be the next Senator.

Maybe the fact that WNY is just sitting on it's collective hands waiting for Albany or Washington to come to the rescue is a bigger problem then who may or may not be the next Senator.

But let's ignore the fact that a local person in that position might just be a good thing. <_<

I'm sure she'll know what the issues for Western New York are. It's not like Hillary's gonna hand her the keys and run. Chuck Schumer can be a big help to her as well. I don't know how many Senators had no political experience before becoming Senators but I'm pretty sure Dubya didn't have any before becoming Texas Governor.

Speaking of which, Jeb Bush is contemplating a run for the Senate. Talk about LOSERS.

Actually that's not fair. Jeb might have been a better President that his big brother. Maybe. His family values suck (wife busted for smuggling jewelry into the US without paying duty, son 1 caught for breaking into a house + vandalism, son 2 busted getting in on in the backseat of a car) and poor daughter is a drug addict.... but he is more moderate and normal and most people don't feel unclean when they hear him speak, unlike GWB.

The thing is, the Kennedys actually accomplish stuff that is overall good for the average American. The Bushes do too, except THEY think the average American makes $1m a year and belongs to 5 or 6 country clubs.

Let me make sure I understand this correctly: You actually believe the difference between The Bushes and the Kennedys is that the Bushes are the elitists?

That's precious. <_< <_< :lol: