Did anyone see the story on Planned Pernthood

offering gift cards for abortion procedures last night on the ABC Nightly News? Now, I don't care what someone else does, but to me this strikes me as massively unethical. As the father of a daughter, I just couldn't see buying her the card.

Me: "Listen, I know you're sleepng around. Here, why don't you take this abortion gift card just in case the worst happens, mmmkay?"

Daughter: "Oh, thanks, Dad! That's what I always wanted for Christmas!"

Anyone else bothered by this?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I didn't, but PP also offers standard, preventative women's health care, don't they?

PP is a good and necessary organization, but they should have seen controversy coming a mile away on this, so I won't feel too bad for them if this blow up in their face.

p.s. there needs to be a board rule that people with >5000 posts can't change their ID. I think I'm responding to some newbie tard and in reality it's an oldie tard -- :P

I also recently read that the Komen Foundation (the pink ribbon group) has given hundreds of thousands to Planned Parenthood. Why did they do that? Planned Parenthood's largest source of income is from abortions.

Also, Margaret Sanger , the founder was a racist. Read her speeches. She talked extensively about controlling the Negro population.

Nice anti-abortion spin, but you were less than honest about the story...

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=6384543&page=1

This holiday season, Indiana's Planned Parenthood is offering an unusual stocking stuffer: gift certificates redeemable for health services at clinics throughout the state.

Critics paint Planned Parenthood gift certificates as abortion vouchers. In these tough economic times, the organization says it made the move toward gift certificates because it is worried that more and more people will forgo basic health care.

"Women in particular are likely to forgo basic medical needs when faced with putting gas in their car or food on the table," said Planned Parenthood of Indiana's president and CEO, Betty Cockrum.

Planned Parenthood provides contraception, pap smears and other routine health services for women, as well as abortions. The gift certificates, ranging in values from $25 to $100, can be redeemed for all clinic services.

The Indiana branch is selling the gift certificates on its Web site, touting it as a way to give the gift of health this holiday season.

But the vouchers are sparking controversy. Some anti-abortion supporters see it as less about the gift of affordable health care and more about making a mockery of the holidays.

"This campaign to offer lethal gift certificates that Planned Parenthood is engaging in right now is offensive," said Sister Diane Carollo, director of the Office for Pro-Life Ministry for the Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis. "And it's offensive because Christmas is about the celebration of human life."

Planned Parenthood is quick to argue some 95 percent of women who come to their clinics come for basic health services -- not abortion.

"It's about basic health care. It's about annual exams, it's about pap smears, it's about birth control," said Cockrum. "I would be amazed if a dime of it goes toward an abortion."

I also recently read that the Komen Foundation (the pink ribbon group) has given hundreds of thousands to Planned Parenthood. Why did they do that? Planned Parenthood's largest source of income is from abortions.

Also, Margaret Sanger , the founder was a racist. Read her speeches. She talked extensively about controlling the Negro population.

Great, she has a lot in common with the founding fathers then

Call me dense, but if an organization's main source of income is from a particular product and they are offering gift cards, then isnt it a safe assumption that they are promoting sale of this product?

You think Shell oil is offering gift cards so people buy more washer fluid?

Call me dense, but if an organization's main source of income is from a particular product and they are offering gift cards, then isnt it a safe assumption that they are promoting sale of this product?

You think Shell oil is offering gift cards so people buy more washer fluid?

You are dense. Providing women the choice to terminate an unwanted pregnancy is not Planned Parenthood's "main source of income."

edited for grammar

What's up with Bettman's sudden concern with something in the crease that shouldn't be there? :P

It's an issue that is spreading beyond Indiana. On ABC News.com today, opinions were mixed. One person wrote: "Wal-Mart gift cards can be used to buy alcohol and ammunition ... but nobody is outraged."

PP does a lot more than abortions but that's all the wacko right sees in them. :P

Actually it's landscaping. They only perform abortions during the Winter.

I can tell you that I have had several girlfriends who have used Planned Parenthood services on a regular basis, NONE of them had abortions. They used their health services, and received birth control from the organization.

One would think that those opposed to abortion, in any form, would be a big supporter of contraception, yet that just isn't the case, is it?

But, bottom line, does anyone really believe that having a gift certificate to PP is going to make a woman more likely to have an abortion? "Honey I'm pregnant! You know, we do have that gift certificate, and it would be a shame to see it go to waste."

I can tell you that I have had several girlfriends who have used Planned Parenthood services on a regular basis, NONE of them had abortions. They used their health services, and received birth control from the organization.

One would think that those opposed to abortion, in any form, would be a big supporter of contraception, yet that just isn't the case, is it?

Don't you know? Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is good. And if one gets wated, God gets quite irate

--Monty Python

Actually it's landscaping. They only perform abortions during the Winter.

Youre a lousy landscaper. Most do snow removal in the winter.

Personally, I dont care what PP does. Im totally and morally opposed to abortions and think they are murder. But I ALSO think they should be legal and avialable to those whose moral compass is different than mine. Live and let live...what a concept.

But y'all in MY territory now. When a company runs a general promotion and offers general, untargeted incentives like gift cards, they arent promoting their LEAST well know product, they are promoting their MOST well known product. So ALL IM SAYING...its not a stretch for one to accuse PP of "promoting abortions" by offering this incentive. NOW...if Im way off base and PP is well known for things OTHERS than abortions, then I stand corrected.

Personally, I dont care what PP does. Im totally and morally opposed to abortions and think they are murder. But I ALSO think they should be legal and avialable to those whose moral compass is different than mine. Live and let live...what a concept.

But y'all in MY territory now. When a company runs a general promotion and offers general, untargeted incentives like gift cards, they arent promoting their LEAST well know product, they are promoting their MOST well known product. So ALL IM SAYING...its not a stretch for one to accuse PP of "promoting abortions" by offering this incentive. NOW...if Im way off base and PP is well known for things OTHERS than abortions, then I stand corrected.

Ergo, murder should be legal? :P

I would agree if they were the ones promoting it as their primary service, but they don't. They primarily promote women's reproductive healthcare. It's those that are opposed to the abortion service they provide that have made it so well known.

I would agree if they were the ones promoting it as their primary service, but they don't. They primarily promote women's reproductive healthcare. It's those that are opposed to the abortion service they provide that have made it so well known.

Thats not entirely true. I took a quick gander at their site and abortion is front and center. If its not their main "product", then its pretty damn close to the top of the list.

Thats not entirely true. I took a quick gander at their site and abortion is front and center. If its not their main "product", then its pretty damn close to the top of the list.

Of course it's front and center, they are always striving to protect the right to choose. Their belief is doing what they can to promote women's health care

If you are talking about this website, then I think your description is misleading:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/

Of the 8 or 9 elements on the main page, ONE is Abortion-related. It says this:

Learn about abortion methods and how to get abortion services.

As far as I can see, that is the ONLY mention of Abortion on the main page of that site. As abortion counseling IS a service of PP, where do you suggest they put that link? Somewhere where nobody can find it?