Do you have any confidence in J.P. Losman?

Well I guess I'd be calling you an idiot & giving you a good laugh.

Over the first 11 games in both their 1st full seasons.....not counting ARI game for TE.....

It's quite interesting that those numbers are so similar, for the most part. So the next logical question is... was JP really almost as good as Trent or is Trent just as bad as JP was?

After that, I'd think to ask... could it be that in neither case the young QB was the problem with the team?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite interesting that those numbers are so similar, for the most part. So the next logical question is... was JP really almost as good as Trent or is Trent just as bad as JP was?

After that, I'd think to ask... could it be that in neither case the young QB was the problem with the team?

Really only one way to find out..... BRING IN THE CHROISE!!!!! :lol:

Some people forget that JPL had a fairly good statistical year in 2006......just as TE is having a fairly good statistical year this year. Your intimation that other factors(play calling, WRs, OL, coaching, running game, defense) effected the QBs is most certainly IMO important in trying to assess them.

I personally can't judge their play as I have only had limited access to game footage. I tend to think that JPL may develop into an adequate NFL starter given the right system, experience & coaching. I'm doubtful at this stage due to his proclivity for sacks......but you never know.

I did get to see TE play the other Monday night......that was a disgusting performance. I am veering however towards him becoming a good starter. This is partly based on being a fan holding onto hope......but also based upon the great reviews & comments he received through last year & early this year. He is a smart QB, I see no reason that he cannot overcome his....ahem....check down issues & develop as a QB.

I'm confident that if JP gets any significant playing time, he'll play himself right out of the league. He'll probably sign a 1 year deal with some team & get cut before opening day.

I believe he has a few weaknesses that will make it difficult to grab a starting job in the NFL.

I see him signing a deal that is heavy in incentives.

We will see, I wish him well, unless he lands in the AFC East

Some people forget that JPL had a fairly good statistical year in 2006......just as TE is having a fairly good statistical year this year. Your intimation that other factors(play calling, WRs, OL, coaching, running game, defense) effected the QBs is most certainly IMO important in trying to assess them.

I personally can't judge their play as I have only had limited access to game footage. I tend to think that JPL may develop into an adequate NFL starter given the right system, experience & coaching. I'm doubtful at this stage due to his proclivity for sacks......but you never know.

I did get to see TE play the other Monday night......that was a disgusting performance. I am veering however towards him becoming a good starter. This is partly based on being a fan holding onto hope......but also based upon the great reviews & comments he received through last year & early this year. He is a smart QB, I see no reason that he cannot overcome his....ahem....check down issues & develop as a QB.

I am not worried about Edwards.

I guess I am one of the few fans that never expected a pro bowl appearance for him in his second year.

I have been a fan and season ticket since 1967 and I have seen a lot of QB's in Buffalo ,and Edwards is better then most.

He will grow as a quarterback when he has a chance to experience every game plan devised to stop him

Edwards might start, but if he doesn't, can we still win with Losman? YES

What if Losman has a career day? Won't happen with this team and the play calling of late.

Then what? JP is gone at the end season and TE starts next year

Would you continue to start him? Until Trent is healthy.

I ask stupid Questions because I am just a rookie

<----------

A lot of people are waiting for the QB of the future that can get us into a SB and win every game...

Remember that this is a team; a good QB is important but is not the only thing we need.

I would prefer a regular QB with an excellent offensive line, a good rushing offense and a better defense than a elite QB trying to do everything because his team does nothing to protect him and his defense struggles every time they’re in the field. (Drew Brees in New Orleans for example).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

And speaking about the thread...

I had a lot of confidence in JP Losman 2 years ago... I really had it, he's a good man with a powerful arm but he did a lot of mistakes that took the team down and he couldn't lead the team in important moments.

Now with Trent is different, maybe he won't throw a 50 yd bomb to Lee Evans in every game but he has the character to lead the team in that important moments like the final drives in the games against the Jaguars and Raiders. Even in his worst game on Monday night vs browns he led the team to the field goal zone in the final drive.

At this time I only hope that if Trent can't go on Sunday, JP would make a decent job giving the ball to Lynch and Jackson and throwing only if necessary, and maybe next year some team like Detroit or Minnesota would give him his last chance in NFL.

I agree. At times, this early season, Trent looked like a bona fide NFL QB. It was refreshing, surprising, almost awe inspiring to see a Buffalo QB look so competent. With that said, I still expected him, as a 2nd year QB, to hit some speed bumps and have a few bad games. However, the marked regression in his play is quite concerning. Is it Trent or the coaching? I don't know, but he's clearly taking huge steps backwards. We all know there are things caoches can do to "protect" a young QB. Quick routes, simplified reads, play action, and running the damn ball are just a couple of tried and proven ideas that make young QBs look better. Yet, we do none of that with any regularity. Why? It truly does puzzle me.

I never thought JP was nearly as bad as many posters make him out to be. Nor do I think Trent is as bad as he's been playing (maybe I'm just a Bills homer) which is why those numbers werer so interesting to me. However, I think both have been put into situations that make it very difficult for young QBs to develop. And that situation is playing for coaches that do nothing to help their QBs. Or I should say, I assume its the coaching. Maybe the coaches are calling the right plays and our guys can't execute. That's hard for a fan to know.

I concur. Give the 3rd stringer a chance, at this point what have we got to lose? Losman can't get rid of the ball, and Trent is like Porcelain Rob; too injury prone. <_<

As crazy as it might sound, The Bills "COULD" still make the playoffs.

Playing your 3rd stringer sends the wrong message to the players and fans

If you move Hamden up to #2, I have no problem with that

This argument should be left to the people that really have an f-ing clue about football and quarterbacking. I mean some of you guys are just so stupid it shocks me. You are all casual fans who don't know jack about the higher end of football, which the NFL is. Most of you bums played high school football for probably a lousy team and just don't know schitt about about what you are talking about.

JP last week had zero reps with the first team guys against the first team guys. It is damn near impossible to come in off the bench with no practice with the guys you'll be playing with. You all just don't know what you don't know.

Get a freaking clue and then post me something worth my damn time.

Oh excuse me Mr. All Knowing and Mr. Important, please let me know when I can post something that is worth YOUR precious time because we all know, you are the chosen one. <_<

Well I guess I'd be calling you an idiot & giving you a good laugh.

Over the first 11 games in both their 1st full seasons.....not counting ARI game for TE.....

The ONLY area where JPL has shown he was better than TE was INTs. For you to try to argue that TE has shown that he is much worse than JPL is beyond hilarious.....it's ludicrous.

Wins

JPL 5

TE 6

QBR

JPL 84.1

TE 84.9

YPA

JPL 6.92

TE 7.35

Completion %

JPL 63.8

TE 65.7

YPG

JPL 182.5

TE 214.6

TDs

JPL 10

TE 10

INTs

JPL 8

TE 10

Fumbles lost

JPL 5

TE 4

Sacks

JPL 32

TE 20

Sack percentage

JPL 9.9%

TE 5.9%

Rushing

JPL 28-94-3.4ave 1TD

TE 30-87-2.9ave 3TDs

That is actually really interesting to look at, seeing as how the both ofthem are so close in almost every category except sacks and YPG. Yet one is seen as the saviour of the franchise, and the other is seen as a guy who will never QB a team in the NFL again (or even the CFL)

Its almost impossible to compare the 2 because they didn't get to play in the exact conditions. They faced different teams, had some different players playing on the same team at different times, and are 2 completly different kind of players. Losman is a "gunslinger" who is going to use his "athletisism" and take chances and look for the big play. He won't win games with his head, he will win them with his arm. Trent won't make the big throw, but he will win with his brain and will play the TOP game rather well. He is similar to Kelly Holcomb, but with more talent