Trent blames coaches for his play

djh

“The hardest thing that is happening to me — this happened early in the season, and it’s happened the past couple of games — is that I’m preparing for defenses that we’re not really getting on Sundays or Monday night and they didn’t really bring the defense that we thought the Browns played against the Broncos,” Edwards said. “That’s what we’re practicing out here on the practice field all week and then we’re facing an entirely different defense...."

How about admitting that it was your fault & not the coaches???

“The hardest thing that is happening to me — this happened early in the season, and it’s happened the past couple of games — is that I’m preparing for defenses that we’re not really getting on Sundays or Monday night and they didn’t really bring the defense that we thought the Browns played against the Broncos,” Edwards said. “That’s what we’re practicing out here on the practice field all week and then we’re facing an entirely different defense...."

How do you know he isn't right? Obviously he's been playing poorly but if his coaches have ill prepared him for the defensive schemes, that could be a big factor.

How do you know he isn't right? Obviously he's been playing poorly but if his coaches have ill prepared him for the defensive schemes, that could be a big factor.

Flashback to 2007:

After the 2nd week last year vs Pittsburgh, JP said in a press conference we have to stop the "Run, Run, Pass". He has been in the Bills doghouse ever since.

Wait a minute. If the coaches are so naive to expect the same defense from the opponet that they saw from their previous game tape, they should be canned. Sure you have to prepare for that, but you also have to anticipate what else they may throw at you and have a contingency plan for that. It reflects poorly on the coaches if they practiced against minimal coverages and did not spend some time on other possibilities. Especially with a young QB.

Wait a minute. If the coaches are so naive to expect the same defense from the opponet that they saw from their previous game tape, they should be canned. Sure you have to prepare for that, but you also have to anticipate what else they may throw at you and have a contingency plan for that. It reflects poorly on the coaches if they practiced against minimal coverages and did not spend some time on other possibilities. Especially with a young QB.

Exactamundo.

um.... The only thing they can really prepare for is anything they see on tape. Trent maybe studying the right things but what is happening is that defenses are throwing wrinkles not shown before. Trent and the coaching staff need to adjust better.

Trent and the coaching staff honestly expected the Browns to use their normal defense against us? The past 4 games teams have beaten us by rushing 4 and dropping 7, but the moronic coaching staff didn't think to somehow include this in their game film?

um.... The only thing they can really prepare for is anything they see on tape. Trent maybe studying the right things but what is happening is that defenses are throwing wrinkles not shown before. Trent and the coaching staff need to adjust better.

They should be preparing for the same types of defenses they have been seeing the last four weeks. 6 DB's. You shouldn't expect to see the same defenses that people have been using against other opponents, you should however, anticipate defenses that have been used against you with success until you can figure it out. This is, after all, a copy cat league.

"So I have to adjust to that." and further in the article stated "I don’t want to make excuses,” said Edwards. “There are still plays out there to be made for me. I’m not saying that this is something that I haven’t seen before, but 10 years down the road, if I’ve faced this situation before, it would be much easier to handle.”

He really threw the coaches under the bus. Try reading the whole article before commenting.

Give me a break. Everytime they showed a replay, there was at least one reciever who was WIDE open, usually downfield. And several people who were at the game have said he missed open recievers all night.

Trent threw three interceptions early, and then got into some kind of funk mentally. His play is on him.

Perhaps I am naive, but I thought teams would be constantly tweaking defensive plans every week to counter-act any offensive planning of their opponent. If our coaches and/or Trent cannot succeed without first knowing what the opponents will be doing defensively, it points to their weakness. Even if this was not true, it didn't look like we were prepared to face 6-7 DBs in the back field which we have seen a few previous games. So either way these statements sound like BS excuses.

Give me a break. Everytime they showed a replay, there was at least one reciever who was WIDE open, usually downfield. And several people who were at the game have said he missed open recievers all night.

Trent threw three interceptions early, and then got into some kind of funk mentally. His play is on him.

Hey, I'm not giving Trent a pass for not passing. I'm simply pointing out that the coaches aren't prepping him right if they don't go through some "what ifs" in the game plan.

Exactly. Those trying to blame the staff for this are crazy. Trent stinks right now. Stinks. We can only hope it's not permanent, but I'm not so sure. And don't give me the "young quarterback" argument. What this guy had going for him is the mental aspect of the game, and he doesn't have that anymore. He never really had overwhelming physical tools, and without the mental aspect, he doesn't even belong out there.

It's the JP argument all over again, no matter how you sugarcoat it. JP basically said the same thing and got benched for it. Yes, his play was erratic, but isn't it basically the same play at the QB position that we've seen the last several weeks. Maybe it's not the position but the coaches that are basically teaching that position on a week to week basis. JP self destructed under the same coaching staff (for the most part) at this point in his career and everyone wants to give TE a pass while JP is in the doghouse. Trent is probably right, along with JP, that the coaching staff, from top on down, is holding them back!!

Everyone is tossing around blame but the result has been the same with different personnel in there. Mediocre, average, predictable, boring and downright stupid. It's time for a change again, regardless what it means to the "rebuilding" program. Enough is Enough!

How much longer can us Die Hard fans take this? It's time for a real coach, not a re-tread, next coming of a brilliant mind or someone that a front office person knew somewhere along the way. Bring in someone that knows how to run a football team, from top to bottom. Someone with experience and worth the money he should get for being here. Cowher comes to mind but anyone in that type of mold that can build his team without the purse strings and meddling from the owner would be nice.

How do you know that he isn't telling the truth?

The gameplans shouldn't be tailored so specific.

There has never been a guarantee on what you will see on defense.

Both Edwards and the coaches should be able to adjust.

He needs to have some plays he can audble to, I don't see him do that much.

He needs some experience still, so they need to keep him in there.

Wasn't one of the arguments used on JP that after 20 games a QB is a "vet" and any fan can tell if the QB is good or not?

Well, guess what? Trent's played in 20 games. And, he looks like crap and admits he is confused on the field at this point. :rolleyes:

How do you know that he isn't telling the truth?

I think he is telling the truth. It's not like Dick changes things up radically on our end, so maybe it hasn't occurred to the coaches that other teams do change it up.

He did adjust......just too late. He did EXACTLY what you do against a defense that drops 8 n coverage. You throw to the backs. Which worked! You run the ball..which worked.

Anyone remember a certain Super Bowl where the Giants dropped 8-9 consistently in coverage. Not until too late did the Bills change and do exactly what you should do.....dump off to the backs, run etc...

You do NOT force the ball long like people here seem to say you need to do. Trent did not need to throw the ball long because after the first few possessions they moved the ball by running and throwing short. I have NO problem with not looking down field if the Bills take 5-6 yards every play and score 27 points.