Just how bad Edward's Game was.....

AnthonyF

I posted this in another topic. Lori did some legwork that truly highlights the terrible play of Trent Edwards...... See below....

That game Monday may have been the worst QB'd game I've ever seen, which includes Rob Johnson's game vs. Tennessee.... He did not throw one pass near Evans which is unacceptable and no one has asked him or the coaches to justify it.... He had all day to throw and did nothing. Lynch was getting basically laterals and only because of his running do the stats look good. The TD pass was all Lynch. I bet his 10 catches were net behind the LOS.....

I have seldom seen a QB so out of it and you could not blame pressure or scrambling or being out of the pocket..... Heck he could have ran it a few times for some positive yards.

As much as I dislike him, maybe TO could have knocked some sense in him, because he would have been in his face demanding the ball.....

Remember 4 weeks ago eh was "better" then Jim Kelly according to some.

Here is Lori's assessment..... Just incredible. I can not fathom what the coaches were saying to Edwards on the sideline. Defies logic that they did not pull him aside and B*t*hslap him and tell him to get his head into the game and throw it down field.

That sounds about right, but now you've got me wondering.

2-11-BUF 30 (7:54) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to BUF 34 for 4 yards (52-D.Jackson). Screen, caught at BUF 25.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 4 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), -5 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 4 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 9 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 52 (D.Jackson)

3-7-BUF 34 (7:11) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to BUF 34 for no gain (95-K.Wimbley). Dump pass, caught at BUF 29.

3rd Down Attempt Failed: BUF

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 0 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 0 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 5 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 95 (K.Wimbley)

2-8-BUF 43 (9:11) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to BUF 47 for 4 yards (22-B.McDonald; 52-D.Jackson). Dump pass, caught at BUF 38.

Tackle Assist: CLV 22 (B.McDonald) Tackle Assist: CLV 52 (D.Jackson)

2-11-CLV 18 (6:32) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch for 18 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Dump pass, caught at CLV 17.

1st Down Passing: BUF

Passing Yards, TD: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 18 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 1 yards

Pass Reception Yards, TD: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 18 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 17 yards

2-10-CLV 22 (:40) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short right to 23-M.Lynch pushed ob at CLV 12 for 10 yards (25-T.Cousin, 20-M.Adams). Flat pass, caught at CLV 20.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 10 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 2 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 10 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 8 yards

Assisted Tackle: CLV 25 (T.Cousin) Tackle Assist: CLV 20 (M.Adams)

2-6-BUF 43 (12:35) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch pushed ob at BUF 46 for 3 yards (54-A.Davis). Screen pass, caught at BUF 39.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 3 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), -4 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 3 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 7 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 54 (A.Davis)

1-10-BUF 42 (6:19) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to BUF 43 for 1 yard (92-S.Rogers). Screen, caught at BUF 41.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 1 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), -1 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 1 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 2 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 92 (S.Rogers)

3-9-BUF 43 (5:27) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to CLV 45 for 12 yards (52-D.Jackson). Dump pass, caught at BUF 43. M.Lynch crossed over middle to right sideline after catch.

3rd Down Attempt Converted: BUF

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 12 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 0 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 12 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 12 yards

2-7-CLV 41 (10:06) 5-T.Edwards pass short middle to 23-M.Lynch pushed ob at CLV 30 for 11 yards (24-E.Wright). Dump pass, caught at CLV 40.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 11 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 11 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 10 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 24 (E.Wright)

3-20-CLV 40 (8:27) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short right to 23-M.Lynch to CLV 45 for -5 yards (24-E.Wright, 95-K.Wimbley). Screen pass, caught at CLV 45.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), -5 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), -5 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 0 yards

Assisted Tackle: CLV 24 (E.Wright) Tackle Assist: CLV 95 (K.Wimbley) Tackle for a Loss: CLV 24 (E.Wright)

Total length of completions: -21 yards.

Lynch's total YAC: 79

Lynch's net yards: 58

I posted this in another topic. Lori did some legwork that truly highlights the terrible play of Trent Edwards...... See below....

That game Monday may have been the worst QB'd game I've ever seen, which includes Rob Johnson's game vs. Tennessee.... He did not throw one pass near Evans which is unacceptable and no one has asked him or the coaches to justify it.... He had all day to throw and did nothing. Lynch was getting basically laterals and only because of his running do the stats look good. The TD pass was all Lynch. I bet his 10 catches were net behind the LOS.....

I have seldom seen a QB so out of it and you could not blame pressure or scrambling or being out of the pocket..... Heck he could have ran it a few times for some positive yards.

As much as I dislike him, maybe TO could have knocked some sense in him, because he would have been in his face demanding the ball.....

Remember 4 weeks ago eh was "better" then Jim Kelly according to some.

Here is Lori's assessment..... Just incredible. I can not fathom what the coaches were saying to Edwards on the sideline. Defies logic that they did not pull him aside and B*t*hslap him and tell him to get his head into the game and throw it down field.

That sounds about right, but now you've got me wondering.

2-11-BUF 30 (7:54) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to BUF 34 for 4 yards (52-D.Jackson). Screen, caught at BUF 25.

3-7-BUF 34 (7:11) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to BUF 34 for no gain (95-K.Wimbley). Dump pass, caught at BUF 29.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 0 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 0 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 5 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 95 (K.Wimbley)

2-8-BUF 43 (9:11) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to BUF 47 for 4 yards (22-B.McDonald; 52-D.Jackson). Dump pass, caught at BUF 38.

Tackle Assist: CLV 22 (B.McDonald) Tackle Assist: CLV 52 (D.Jackson)

2-11-CLV 18 (6:32) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch for 18 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Dump pass, caught at CLV 17.

Passing Yards, TD: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 18 yards

Pass Reception Yards, TD: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 18 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 17 yards

2-10-CLV 22 (:40) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short right to 23-M.Lynch pushed ob at CLV 12 for 10 yards (25-T.Cousin, 20-M.Adams). Flat pass, caught at CLV 20.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 10 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 2 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 10 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 8 yards

Assisted Tackle: CLV 25 (T.Cousin) Tackle Assist: CLV 20 (M.Adams)

2-6-BUF 43 (12:35) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch pushed ob at BUF 46 for 3 yards (54-A.Davis). Screen pass, caught at BUF 39.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 3 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), -4 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 3 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 7 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 54 (A.Davis)

1-10-BUF 42 (6:19) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to BUF 43 for 1 yard (92-S.Rogers). Screen, caught at BUF 41.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 1 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), -1 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 1 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 2 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 92 (S.Rogers)

3-9-BUF 43 (5:27) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short left to 23-M.Lynch to CLV 45 for 12 yards (52-D.Jackson). Dump pass, caught at BUF 43. M.Lynch crossed over middle to right sideline after catch.

3rd Down Attempt Converted: BUF

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 12 yards

Pass Length, Completion: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 0 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 12 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 12 yards

2-7-CLV 41 (10:06) 5-T.Edwards pass short middle to 23-M.Lynch pushed ob at CLV 30 for 11 yards (24-E.Wright). Dump pass, caught at CLV 40.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), 11 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 11 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 10 yards

Solo Tackle: CLV 24 (E.Wright)

3-20-CLV 40 (8:27) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short right to 23-M.Lynch to CLV 45 for -5 yards (24-E.Wright, 95-K.Wimbley). Screen pass, caught at CLV 45.

Passing Yards: BUF 5 (T.Edwards), -5 yards

Pass Reception Yards: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), -5 yards

Yardage Gained After the Catch: BUF 23 (M.Lynch), 0 yards

Assisted Tackle: CLV 24 (E.Wright) Tackle Assist: CLV 95 (K.Wimbley) Tackle for a Loss: CLV 24 (E.Wright)

Total length of completions: -21 yards.

Lynch's total YAC: 79

Lynch's net yards: 58

Throwing long too risky.

Throwing short has some risk also

Throwing down the line of scrimmage has the least risk. Jauron can relax now.

I've definitely seen worse....and don't forget we win the game if Lindell makes that kick. So as awful as he was, he did the smart thing and threw to his backs b/c that's what they give you with dropping eight. That is the important thing!! Who cares if he doesn't throw down field. Tom Brady won two SBs by throwing WR screens and 10 yard outs and screens. Who CARES people as long as you win!!!! He was terrible the other night, but Tony Romo was worse the year before. Difference....a kicker makes a kick. Very simple.

I've definitely seen worse....and don't forget we win the game if Lindell makes that kick. So as awful as he was, he did the smart thing and threw to his backs b/c that's what they give you with dropping eight. That is the important thing!! Who cares if he doesn't throw down field. Tom Brady won two SBs by throwing WR screens and 10 yard outs and screens. Who CARES people as long as you win!!!! He was terrible the other night, but Tony Romo was worse the year before. Difference....a kicker makes a kick. Very simple.

Wow!!!

You really believe that? :ph34r:

That game Monday may have been the worst QB'd game I've ever seen, which includes Rob Johnson's game vs. Tennessee....

In the Tennessee game, Rob Johnson's protection was not even in the same galaxy as the protection that Edwards got. And the game was won...if not for a shady kickoff return.

Wow. Not taking anything away from Lori (nice job :ph34r:), but if a person who isn't an NFL coach can work this out, what do you think an actual DC will do with these observations? They're going to take away everything deep (which in Edwards' case is everything past the LOS) and look for the checkdown to Lynch. Unreal.

I was at the game Monday Night and on the TD pass to Lynch, Trent was standing back there clutching the football with all day to throw. There were other guys open. Everyone in the stadium, myself included, saw ML a full second and a half before the Trent did and were yelling "throw it Marshawn" before Trent finally saw him waving his arms and finally threw him the football. Amazing.

Something's wrong. Not sure what. Someone on One Bills Drive needs to find out fast.

Wow!!!

You really believe that? :ph34r:

I would say that there was some hyperbole there, but I also agree that the dump-offs were the right way to combat the defense that the Cleveland put out there. In fact, instead of looking at the stats and using the low number of yards that the ball actually traveled in the air versus what Lynch was able to do with the ball after the catch as an indictment on Edwards, I look at it as just the opposite. Namely, Lynch was able to get so many yards after the catch partly because he was having a monster game and partly because the dump offs were absolutely the right calls against that defense. The problem I have isn't with the dump offs per se. It is with the fact that Trent was so quick to check-down, when he had better downfield options available on some plays. Clearly his confidence was completely shot. However, if the Bills had been smart and used the short passing game from the start, the Bills would have won the football game going away.

Good post...I said in another post that against a better defense that wises up and takes the dump off to Marshawn out of the equation, then we lose this game by 21. We were luckily playing an inept Cle team who failed to adjust, so the dump off was there all night, much like Warner against us in AZ where he just threw 5 yard routes all night as they were wide open the whole game and we didnt adjust. Difference was that was by design and ours was out of desperation as Trent was just not capable of letting the ball go down field.

Wow. Not taking anything away from Lori (nice job :ph34r:), but if a person who isn't an NFL coach can work this out, what do you think an actual DC will do with these observations? They're going to take away everything deep (which in Edwards' case is everything past the LOS) and look for the checkdown to Lynch. Unreal.

They already did figure it out..This has been going on for four weeks now..

What's GSIS?

The NFL's Game Statistics and Information System, which compiles stats and supplies them to club personnel, broadcasters and print media. This particular info came from the Play Statistics Report; as you can see, it's more comprehensive than the regular gamebook. All I did was find those plays and cut/paste.

Its strange when it comes to Edwards though, I mean stats dont lie we all know that. He did look terrible, but the one thing that stood out is with all the INT's he had that pass to Robert Royal near the end of the game to set up Lindell's field goal was a pass only the greats make. Go look at it again, he threaded the needle big time on that throw and again he had enough heart to lead us back to at least have a shot at winning the game.

I see several good things from Trent but I also see some problems as well. I kinda want the guy to sit with Jim Kelly and talk football maybe watch film together or something.

Its strange when it comes to Edwards though, I mean stats dont lie we all know that. He did look terrible, but the one thing that stood out is with all the INT's he had that pass to Robert Royal near the end of the game to set up Lindell's field goal was a pass only the greats make. Go look at it again, he threaded the needle big time on that throw and again he had enough heart to lead us back to at least have a shot at winning the game.

I see several good things from Trent but I also see some problems as well. I kinda want the guy to sit with Jim Kelly and talk football maybe watch film together or something.

It was the defense, Lynch and a ST TD that kept the Bills in that game. Mostly in spite of Edwards. The Royal completion was an outlier. You can't look at how he played in that game, look at the only decent pass he made all night, and call that a trend. That's not heart. That's luck.

It was the defense, Lynch and a ST TD that kept the Bills in that game. Mostly in spite of Edwards. The Royal completion was an outlier. You can't look at how he played in that game, look at the only decent pass he made all night, and call that a trend. That's not heart. That's luck.

The difference between that throw and all the others was that Trent had no choice but to torque that ball right down the field because the game was almost over. It was a last ditch drive; he had to throw it.

It sure does seem that this team's strategy is to sleepwalk through 2 or 3 quarters or so and then turn it on in desperation at the end and hope they come out smelling like roses. It was working in their favor earlier in the season, but it blew up in their faces on Monday.

That game Monday may have been the worst QB'd game I've ever seen, which includes Rob Johnson's game vs. Tennessee....

I've certainly seen worse - practically any game from Vinnie Testaverde's rookie season to start, but more importantly Jim Kelly against the Steelers in a couple of Monday night games was far worse than that. Remember that 23-0 loss? That 1996 humdinger where he was allegedly benched for a few games to get over his horribleness? AVP closing out the 2001 season with a 35-0 loss? Or that other 35-0 loss to SF earlier that season? Or Todd Collins at Soldier Field in late 1997?

I'll take TE over any of those. The Bills scored 20 offensive points, had 334 yards, and after he threw the three 1st quarter picks, he was 13-19 with 1 TD and 1 rushing TD. He played well in the 4th quarter.

You obviously never saw Gary Marangi and Billy Joe Hobert don a Bills uniform.

Hard to tell, Edwards remember had no pressure the entire game, the running game was working and completed 6 passes downfield.... No all things considered, the game was pathetic. All the blame is on Edwards, not the play calling, the running game, the o-line..... that we usually can point to.

Hard to tell, Edwards remember had no pressure the entire game, the running game was working and completed 6 passes downfield.... No all things considered, the game was pathetic. All the blame is on Edwards, not the play calling, the running game, the o-line..... that we usually can point to.

Um ... Marangi had OJ, Joe D, Reggie McKenzie, and Paul Seymour.