Just how bad Edward's Game was.....

AnthonyF

What troubles me is that Trent's excuse is that the Bills practiced for a different defense than what they saw. And exactly what does that have to do with NOT throwing the ball to wide open receivers, when you're getting tons of time to throw the ball?

I find it odd that no one tried to tie together TE's great play before the bye, and declining play after the bye. Could he still have lingering effects fron his concussion. This staff has alrerady demonstrated that it will re-insert someone into the line up before they're healed (McGee into the Miami game with a knee not fully recovered, and Ginn ran by him all day).

IMO - Edwards has not fully recovered from the concussion.

I don't buy the concussion idea. The concussion was on Oct. 5th. This last game was Nov. 17th. That's over 6 weeks for recovery. That's plenty of recovery time. (Although, he was confused about his hand muff. :lol:)

He looked more like a guy that threw some bad balls into a defense he wasn't expecting and wasn't prepared for early in the game and who was maybe then told, "Throw one more and you're done." Or maybe he is in desperate need of some glasses.

What troubles me is that Trent's excuse is that the Bills practiced for a different defense than what they saw. And exactly what does that have to do with NOT throwing the ball to wide open receivers, when you're getting tons of time to throw the ball?

The unfamiliar defense contributed to picks early. The picks contributed to fear for the rest of the game in both Trent and the coaches.

The unfamiliar defense contributed to picks early. The picks contributed to fear for the rest of the game in both Trent and the coaches.

Please, that was not some exotic defense the Browns were playing, it was BASIC defense. The picks were due to poor decisions & throws by Trent PERIOD.

IMHO the sevarity of how bad TE was Monday really depends on the reason. I'm not talking the excuse, or the party line I'm talking the reason.

For example;

If the reason is really, "we didn't prepare for the defense the Browns threw at us, I was rattled because I've never seen the things they were doing and I didn't know where their players were coming from so I tended to check down to what I thought was my safest option".

I can live with that. He's young and inexperianced, and did what he could to protect the ball. He will eventually get to the point of "been there, seen that"

If the reason is really, "Gee I don't know .... for the last few wees it's almost like I'm walking in a fog. Things aren't as clear to me as they were the first few weeks, the game was swerling around me in a blur, I did the best I could".

I can live with that. It probably means he's still dealing with the brain scramble he suffered in the Cards game ...... it points an ugly finger at the Bills medical staff however.

If the reason is, "OMG, they intercepted some passes at the begining of the game ...... I can't throw down field against these guys".

That's a harder pill to swallow ....... IMHO, a QB has to know we will win the game no matter what, especially if mistakes are made early in the game that can be overcome. If we had imposed our will on the Browns after those interceptions (which we were still capable of), those interceptions wouldn't have mattered in the outcome of the game. We would have killed them.

We all know TE stunk up the joint Monday night, it would have been great if his mental part of the game was such he would have recovered "on the fly" but with his experiance level that may have been too much to ask. What remains to be seen is how he does (or if he does) recover this weekend. If he comes out throwing down field against the "Chefs" the boy will be alright ........ if it's more of the tentitive deer in the headlights check down to the RB behind the LOS ....... well sadly Trent may be broken.

It's hard for us fans to seperate a "body of work" from an isolated game or two for an individual players performance. In the case of a Manning or Farve it's pretty darn easy to dismiss a sucky game, but in the case of a guy with only something like 19 games, there is no significant body of work to compare with. In our case, where we've suffered through a slide like the last few weeks we are compelled to seek a scape goat ...... are all of our losses directly attributable to Trent ????? Maybe yes, maybe no ........ I think I can say that Monday night if not 100% Trents fault certianly was 99% his fault. But the real question is, is that one loss significant to Trents career?

I say maybe yes ...... maybe no ........ we will see in the next few weeks, for us Bills fans I hope the answer is no.

IMHO the sevarity of how bad TE was Monday really depends on the reason. I'm not talking the excuse, or the party line I'm talking the reason.

For example;

If the reason is really, "we didn't prepare for the defense the Browns threw at us, I was rattled because I've never seen the things they were doing and I didn't know where their players were coming from so I tended to check down to what I thought was my safest option".

I can live with that. He's young and inexperianced, and did what he could to protect the ball. He will eventually get to the point of "been there, seen that"

If the reason is really, "Gee I don't know .... for the last few wees it's almost like I'm walking in a fog. Things aren't as clear to me as they were the first few weeks, the game was swerling around me in a blur, I did the best I could".

I can live with that. It probably means he's still dealing with the brain scramble he suffered in the Cards game ...... it points an ugly finger at the Bills medical staff however.

If the reason is, "OMG, they intercepted some passes at the begining of the game ...... I can't throw down field against these guys".

That's a harder pill to swallow ....... IMHO, a QB has to know we will win the game no matter what, especially if mistakes are made early in the game that can be overcome. If we had imposed our will on the Browns after those interceptions (which we were still capable of), those interceptions wouldn't have mattered in the outcome of the game. We would have killed them.

We all know TE stunk up the joint Monday night, it would have been great if his mental part of the game was such he would have recovered "on the fly" but with his experiance level that may have been too much to ask. What remains to be seen is how he does (or if he does) recover this weekend. If he comes out throwing down field against the "Chefs" the boy will be alright ........ if it's more of the tentitive deer in the headlights check down to the RB behind the LOS ....... well sadly Trent may be broken.

It's hard for us fans to seperate a "body of work" from an isolated game or two for an individual players performance. In the case of a Manning or Farve it's pretty darn easy to dismiss a sucky game, but in the case of a guy with only something like 19 games, there is no significant body of work to compare with. In our case, where we've suffered through a slide like the last few weeks we are compelled to seek a scape goat ...... are all of our losses directly attributable to Trent ????? Maybe yes, maybe no ........ I think I can say that Monday night if not 100% Trents fault certianly was 99% his fault. But the real question is, is that one loss significant to Trents career?

I say maybe yes ...... maybe no ........ we will see in the next few weeks, for us Bills fans I hope the answer is no.

I believe as others have posted, that teams have enough film on Trent to defend against him, not because of the concussion. The question over the rest of the season will be can Trent adjust his game to counter the defenses thrown at him. If he can GREAT otherwise the Bills are back to square one.

Please, that was not some exotic defense the Browns were playing, it was BASIC defense. The picks were due to poor decisions & throws by Trent PERIOD.

Agree that TE sh*t the bed on the picks. But to suggest that was basic defense the Browns were playing is not true. Dropping 7 & 8 into coverage is not basic defense in any way shape or form. Edwards should have seen this immediately and started checking down earlier to try and force Cleveland to play the pass more honestly. That would have avoided the picks. However, Cleveland didn't do much adjusting even AFTER the first quarter, so it was correct to take what they gave us most of the time. I say most of the time because it was obvious TE missed some golden opportunities to hit Evans and Parrish. He also missed Royal a couple times as well that I noticed.

GO BILLS!!!