Bills would have taken Harvey over McKelvin

I couldn't agree more, he is a beast but I wonder what kind of production he would be allowed to have here in Buffalo where he would most likely end up in coverage a lot.

He would most likely be sitting on the bench behind Ellison, give the coaching staff's aversion to actually giving their rookies a chance to play and learn.

A team with an obvious bleeding need for a pass rusher would've taken the best one available had he been well available at their pick? Shocking :wallbash: I believe the top 2 defensive players on the bills board in this draft were Harvey and Keith Rivers. When both of them went early they took a need at corner.

I think its unfair to label McKelvin right now as a bust. From my stand point I think DE is much easier to play the CB in the NFL for a rookie. Granted there are a few exceptions, but we rarely see many CB's make a major impact for a team right away. As a fan base we have to sit back and watch his progress in the NFL. He will come along in due time. I bet next year we see a better player, and the year after I bet McKelvin starts. I know he was drafted high, but you cant fault the guy where he was drafted.

Give the guy time is all im saying. Remember Lee Evans didnt rip the field apart his rookie season. It took him time to make those strides.

Give the kid time.

I think its unfair to label McKelvin right now as a bust. From my stand point I think DE is much easier to play the CB in the NFL for a rookie. Granted there are a few exceptions, but we rarely see many CB's make a major impact for a team right away. As a fan base we have to sit back and watch his progress in the NFL. He will come along in due time. I bet next year we see a better player, and the year after I bet McKelvin starts. I know he was drafted high, but you cant fault the guy where he was drafted.

Give the guy time is all im saying. Remember Lee Evans didnt rip the field apart his rookie season. It took him time to make those strides.

Give the kid time.

<_<:w00t:

I can't believe the rush to judgement on McKelvin.

I couldn't agree more, he is a beast but I wonder what kind of production he would be allowed to have here in Buffalo where he would most likely end up in coverage a lot.

Nah, he plays MLB and we just picked PP. No way we draft Mayo. We dont play the 3-4, therefore only 1 MLB.... Can he/did he play OLB in college???

I lobbied that we drafted Mayo- and caught lots of sh--. I also lobbied that we sign Kris Jenkins. What a steal! He is worth a first round pick if we knew the player we were getting. Can you imagine Mayo and Jenkins on our team?

Says that the Bills would have drafted DE Harvey in April if he had still been on the board at #11, but the Jags traded up to get him at 8.

Here is the link

And where does it say that? Here are the quotes I can find in the story:

"In fact, there’s a good chance they may have taken Florida defensive end Derrick Harvey in the first round last April if he had been available with the 11th overall pick."

"My guess is they would have taken Harvey, and that’s not a comment on McKelvin."

"Harvey, by the way, has seen a bit more action of late. He has started three games and had 1 1/2 sacks — his first sacks of the year — last week."

Come on, get the headline accurate, hunh? He was guessing. I was hoping we'd get Harvey, but that's the way it goes.

Nobody else seems to have even bothered to click on the link. Strange thread indeed, a bunch of people commenting on something that was never said.

And where does it say that? Here are the quotes I can find in the story:

"In fact, there’s a good chance they may have taken Florida defensive end Derrick Harvey in the first round last April if he had been available with the 11th overall pick."

"My guess is they would have taken Harvey, and that’s not a comment on McKelvin."

"Harvey, by the way, has seen a bit more action of late. He has started three games and had 1 1/2 sacks — his first sacks of the year — last week."

Come on, get the headline accurate, hunh? He was guessing. I was hoping we'd get Harvey, but that's the way it goes.

Nobody else seems to have even bothered to click on the link. Strange thread indeed, a bunch of people commenting on something that was never said.

Sounds like someone needs some help with reading comprehension there.

The quote you provided pretty much says what the headline says. Yes, this is speculation on Gaughan's part, but as a beat writer for the team, I would say that his assertions have merit.

This sort of attack on every post that is made here is what drives people away. I thought it was interesting that a beat writer for the team is now suggesting that the team would have drafted a different player if he had been available. Yes, it is hindsight now, but interesting none the less. If you don't find it to be interesting, fine. Pass on the post. But don't look for a reason to whine about it when no reason is there.

Gaughan was just speculating the Bills would have taken Harvey if he was available. I still believe the Bills would have drafted a DB even if Harvey was available as we had no real depth at CB anyway.

At least someone paid attention when reading the article.

My guess is they would have taken Harvey

How does that turn into a thread titled "Bills would have taken Harvey"?

A complete fabrication and a fraud of a thread.