The Bills are conservative. It's why they lose.

kota

From top to bottom the Bills are a conservative football team. Talent aquisition aside it starts with the Head Coach. I have never been a big fan of Dick Jauron because he is way to conservative for my tastes. Every week i see the coach not take chances with his players. Against NE there is a perfect example of conservative type coaching. Late in the 2nd quarter just before half time the bills were in field goal ranch for Lindell. It would have been a 54ish distance kick. Lindell can make those. The bills opted to punt and it was a great one. downed inside the 5 yard line or something. The defense fails to stop NE and NE ends up running out the clock.

Before the punt was made the camera's cut away to Ryan Lindell standing on the sidelines waiting for the call to go in. When it was decided that they would punt i saw Lindell's face/body language and it was of disappointment. He wanted to kick that ball to give the Bills some kind of lift and it was denied.

I understand why the Bills punted. They hoped to pin the ball deep into NE territory, force a 3 and out and get better field position with some time on the clock. Instead the game goes to Halftime with zero points for the Bills.

If Ryan makes the kick the Bills get 3 points and with a decent kickoff NE around the 20 yard line. I don't see it being up different then the field position they got with the punt. But the Bills would have had 3 points.

The point of this post is that Conservative mind sets in my opinion is the wrong attitude to give players. Every player wants to be a playmaker. If players aren't given the opportunity to make plays then they are denied the thing they love doing the most. I believe it wears on the mentality of a team and it shows lack of confidence from the coaching staff to the players about their ability.

From top to bottom the Bills are a conservative football team. Talent aquisition aside it starts with the Head Coach. I have never been a big fan of Dick Jauron because he is way to conservative for my tastes. Every week i see the coach not take chances with his players. Against NE there is a perfect example of conservative type coaching. Late in the 2nd quarter just before half time the bills were in field goal ranch for Lindell. It would have been a 54ish distance kick. Lindell can make those. The bills opted to punt and it was a great one. downed inside the 5 yard line or something. The defense fails to stop NE and NE ends up running out the clock.

Before the punt was made the camera's cut away to Ryan Lindell standing on the sidelines waiting for the call to go in. When it was decided that they would punt i saw Lindell's face/body language and it was of disappointment. He wanted to kick that ball to give the Bills some kind of lift and it was denied.

I understand why the Bills punted. They hoped to pin the ball deep into NE territory, force a 3 and out and get better field position with some time on the clock. Instead the game goes to Halftime with zero points for the Bills.

If Ryan makes the kick the Bills get 3 points and with a decent kickoff NE around the 20 yard line. I don't see it being up different then the field position they got with the punt. But the Bills would have had 3 points.

The point of this post is that Conservative mind sets in my opinion is the wrong attitude to give players. Every player wants to be a playmaker. If players aren't given the opportunity to make plays then they are denied the thing they love doing the most. I believe it wears on the mentality of a team and it shows lack of confidence from the coaching staff to the players about their ability.

Sounds like the Bills lose because their D can't stop the other team when it's pinned on their own 5 in a critical point in the game. Maybe that's just me.

Sounds like the Bills lose because their D can't stop the other team when it's pinned on their own 5 in a critical point in the game. Maybe that's just me.

That didn't help sure but to be honest the Defense isn't the problem of this team. It's the offense. Throwing on 3rd and 1, punting when in field goal range, no running game, terrible centers, lack of imagination with play calling, my own ability to spot run plays and pass plays formations 3000 miles away in a comfortable chair.

Personally i think the following should be done to see if a spark can occur.

Start Steve Johnson opposite Lee Evans.

Start Derek Fine.

Start Ellis in place of Ryan Denny.

I would put Hardy in the slot and have him run slant routes through the middle.

I would send Roscoe Parrish long every chance i could to draw the safety's away from Lee Evans.

You make a good point, but the point he is making is correct, if we can't stop them from the 5, then we

probably won't stop them from the 20 either, take the 3, and take your chances stopping them from the 20,

no guarantee that he makes the field goal, but at least you show some confidence in those players who can be difference makers.

Cliff notes please.

I want to know what happened to going back to basics. Turk wanted a fullback and was going to use the running game. I still can't understand why the featured back his being platooned in and out of the game like they are doing. I thought Jackson was #2 and what ever happened to our rookie Omen or whatever his name is. Did anyone ever hear of pitch outs or sweeps ? Why do we always run into the damn pile of bodies where there is no room to run! :lol::lol:

The defense did stop NE. Time ran out on us because Dick wasted a time out when Moorman punted.

The defense did stop NE. Time ran out on us because Dick wasted a time out when Moorman punted.

They did waste a timeout on the punt which didn't help the defense to get a chance to stop NE.

Buffalo Bills at 02:19

1-10-BUF 39 (2:19) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short right to 13-St.Johnson pushed ob at NE 46 for 15 yards (21-D.O'Neal).

Two-Minute Warning

1-10-NE 46 (2:00) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete short left to 81-J.Hardy [99-M.Wright].

2-10-NE 46 (1:57) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass incomplete deep left to 11-R.Parrish.

3-10-NE 46 (1:52) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards pass short middle to 81-J.Hardy to NE 39 for 7 yards (23-J.Webster, 58-P.Woods).

Timeout #1 by BUF at 01:04.

4-3-NE 39 (1:04) 8-B.Moorman punts 36 yards to NE 3, Center-72-R.Neill, downed by BUF-17-J.Jenkins.

New England Patriots at 00:55

1-10-NE 3 (:55) 42-B.Green-Ellis up the middle to NE 6 for 3 yards (92-R.Denney, 37-G.Wilson).

Timeout #2 by BUF at 00:49.

2-7-NE 6 (:49) 42-B.Green-Ellis left tackle to NE 8 for 2 yards (92-R.Denney, 59-K.Mitchell).

Timeout #3 by BUF at 00:42.

3-5-NE 8 (:42) 16-M.Cassel kneels to NE 6 for -2 yards (43-B.Scott).

END QUARTER 2

The Bills are conservative. It's why they lose. No that's why they are boooooooring- they lose because they can't run block, can't get to the other teams QB, have no weapons after Evans, and have a very average coaching staff except for Bobby April who's pretty good-In addition injuries have taken their toll on the pass blocking and the return game and Edwards is starting to look like a pretty good 3rd round, second year QB instead of the second coming of Tom Brady.

The Bills are conservative. It's why they lose. No that's why they are boooooooring- they lose because they can't run block, can't get to the other teams QB, have no weapons after Evans, and have a very average coaching staff except for Bobby April who's pretty good-In addition injuries have taken their toll on the pass blocking and the return game and Edwards is starting to look like a pretty good 3rd round, second year QB instead of the second coming of Tom Brady.

I would argue that the conservative coaching staff leads them to be boring and predictable.

Lets play a game.

Please fill in the blank with any play you would like to see from the offense.

Where are the _______ Plays?

WR Screens.

RB Screens.

TE Screens.

End Arounds.

Reverses.

Flea Flickers.

Bootlegs.

Play Action.

Any more?

I agree with you, but I think "conservative" is the wrong word for Jauron's style. I would use the word "timid" or "chicken..it". When I think of conservative football, I think of hard-nosed football where you pound away at the other team with your power running game. Conservative is not necessarily bad (see NY Giants). Timid always is. And it has become a trademark of this franchise, especially against the Patriots and any team associated with Bill Parcells.

I agree with you, but I think "conservative" is the wrong word for Jauron's style. I would use the word "timid" or "chicken..it". When I think of conservative football, I think of hard-nosed football where you pound away at the other team with your power running game. Conservative is not necessarily bad (see NY Giants). Timid always is. And it has become a trademark of this franchise, especially against the Patriots and any team associated with Bill Parcells.

Timid or scared we needed to come out and "punch them in the mouth" to show them we could play with the "big" boys and we did not. We don't fool anyone :lol:

I think the D is much better than the o and their turnovers lately. D plays good enough for us to win