One guy who gets no credit for the Obama victory

Bill Cosby.

I haven't read this anywhere, it just occurred to me that The Bill Cosby Show being a hit in white America all those years paved the way for good looking black American families to be accepted by a generation or two of white American families. Seeing Obama and Michelle and their two little girls up there on the stage last night reminded me of the Cosby family, and what they looked like. And I think that a lot of the reluctant votes that Obama got from middle class white America may have been dramatically helped by the images of that show.

Bill Cosby.

I haven't read this anywhere, it just occurred to me that The Bill Cosby Show being a hit in white America all those years paved the way for good looking black American families to be accepted by a generation or two of white American families. Seeing Obama and Michelle and their two little girls up there on the stage last night reminded me of the Cosby family, and what they looked like. And I think that a lot of the reluctant votes that Obama got from middle class white America may have been dramatically helped by the images of that show.

Yeah, it only took until the early '80s for that show to make it.

If you take credit for that, what do you say about Hollywood's previous standard depictions of black families as jive talking ghetto dwellers, who maybe once in a few good times were able to move on up?

Yeah, it only took until the early '80s for that show to make it.

If you take credit for that, what do you say about Hollywood's previous standard depictions of black families as jive talking ghetto dwellers, who maybe once in a few good times were able to move on up?

That they made a lot of money because that was the general public's distorted impression of black families at the time. IIRC, most of Hollywood didn't think that The Cosby Show would catch on with middle America even though he was pretty popular before that. They surely didn't think it would be the huge hit that it became.

Bill Cosby.

Karl Rove made that point last night. I always knew you two thought alike...

That they made a lot of money because that was the general public's distorted impression of black families at the time. IIRC, most of Hollywood didn't think that The Cosby Show would catch on with middle America even though he was pretty popular before that. They surely didn't think it would be the huge hit that it became.

Probably because the left projects far, FAR more racism on the right than actually exists.

Who helped shape that distortion? It's not like 15% of the population wouldn't watch a Leave it to Beaver with an all black cast.

Rove, as soon as he realized that McCain was going to lose a few weeks ago, has been surprisingly reasonable lately. :blink:

If you want to give someone credit for Obama's victory - give it to Rove (leaving Bush aside).

He set the organizational bar that Obama had to exceed. Just like in the NFL - it is difficult to keep winning against the same team because the losing team gets to adapt, while the winning team doesn't quite know what to change.

I think the little kid in Bad News Bears who spoke of "spics, !@#$s, kikes and now a girl???!!!???" should get some credit. he really loosened us all up.

Him and the black bald guy from Sesame Street. He really showed us, by talking with Muppets, that not all black guys are so scary. if it werent for that show, Id NEVER be able to sit on the same train with black guys.

Bill Cosby.

Are you saying we just should have just made a TV show about him instead of electing him President?

It may not be too late. I sense a reality show that could combine the two.

They could trot out 400 guests every year and call it "1600 losers". Guys like Putin would always be trying to get on TV and would probably give up a lot in negotiations. They could get people from The Real World, Survivor, Scrubs and other reality shows.

That dude Puck could teach the girls about hockey. They could beat the crap out of Johnny Fairplay like everyone else and other great stuff.

You forgot President Palmer.

Or President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

I remember when he famously said: "sh--. I know sh--'s bad right now, with all that starving bull sh--, and the dust storms, and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution."

Does the fact that Bill Cosby is pretty darn funny, his whole career, enter into it why his show was widely accepted anyplace? Or is this all about the social/racial rhetoric? And, does it matter that Dr. Cosby actually lived a real life, had a real job, and therefore had real experiences that we all could identify with, before he started doing comedy? (Funny, same exact model for Jeff Foxworthy, I wonder why both have been so wildly successful :oops: ).

Perhaps Cosby had to do a better job because we was black, but, he was obviously up to the task. But, I would put more stock in Cosby's talent rather than his blackness.

Not sure yet if we can say the same about Obama, the way he had been portrayed by the media, etc. And I think that's too bad. I really don't know if the man has real talent, other than the talent of a great entertainer = that was supposed to be the media's job. :P But I hope for all our sakes he does. If he ran most of his campaign, and wasn't merely "handled" then I think he has a lot of ability, but, once again, due to the media, we have no idea who did what.