2008-9 Syracuse University Basketball Thread

bills44

do you really want them to defend against the 3 more when the opponent shoots 30 of them and doesnt make a third of them, and you maintain a double digit lead?

Did you see the end of the 1st half Pooj? Paul Harris was a total liability on defense surrendering two big three pointers due to his breakdowns and getting dunked on to allow ASU to close a 15 point lead down to a 9 point lead to end the half.

I actually just did some research and found out that their opponents have shot 28.9% from beyond the arc for the year compared to Syracuse shooting 34.3% for the year. I thought opponents field goal percentage would have been a lot higher than that.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there was an article where Flynn and Devo said they are both coming back. Our team next year will be loaded if true; and we'll need to dump one scholarship.

Wow, first I've heard that Flynn might return:

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/..._returning.html

r u !@#$ing kidding me, how was than not a charge on griffin...and then no block on that harris shot????? i guarantee this game is called way too tightly in the second half...just to mess up ALL the players

I wondered if I missed something but when they replayed it it was a charge! The announcers just ignored it. :rolleyes:

we are so much better than this team, despite how badly we are playing we kept it close and are now even making a run....too big of a hole though :rolleyes:

rautins and devo should be embarrassed to play as poorly as they have been...no excuse for it...

Kristoff must be hurt....he has seen very little since taking his spill

Relative to what I've seen all year I didn't think the officiating was especially bad. There were some phantom "deflections" in the 1st half where OU just threw the ball away, but whatever.

We have better shooters and they shot way better. That's single elimination basketball.

With the lack of great teams out there I could see that kid carrying them ala Carmello '03.

GG 2009, plz come back Johnny.

i really thought the refs let alot go, for both teams...there was just waaaaay too much bumping all over the place and far too few whistles...i fully expected them to change that trend in the second half as refs are wont to do, but they didnt....

Relative to what I've seen all year I didn't think the officiating was especially bad. There were some phantom "deflections" in the 1st half where OU just threw the ball away, but whatever.

We have better shooters and they shot way better. That's single elimination basketball.

With the lack of great teams out there I could see that kid carrying them ala Carmello '03.

you mean the one that followed Jonny Flynn trying to showboat, but missing...all while injured? that just added insult to injury...and yes griffin does get away with alot, but he is pretty damn talented...and a frigging sophomore to boot

well, that sucked.

Griffin gets away with a hell of a lot, doesn't he? I did find it kind of funny when that lunkhead hit his head on the backboard while throwing down a showboat dunk

Yah I mean I guess I've accepted that college refs suck. Usually it's going to favor one team and it favored the other guys. As long as it's not ridiculously 1sided ala Vermont it's not worth griping about to me; particularly when we don't make a single outside shot when the game was in question.

If Griffin gets the same officials for the rest of the tournament they'll be National Champs. :rolleyes:

1) Didn't it seem weird that every loose ball seemed to go off a Syracuse player out of bounds or into an OU player's hands?

2) AO seemed a step slow today; a lot of balls he fumbled...

3) Overall, this game struck me like the Vermont loss in 2004 in the tourney. I felt then as I do now that we were the better team, but played with such lethargy and gave the game away.

you mean the one that followed Jonny Flynn trying to showboat, but missing...all while injured? that just added insult to injury...and yes griffin does get away with alot, but he is pretty damn talented...and a frigging sophomore to boot

No, that was a different showboat dunk.

I think you're referring to the dunk where Griffin was cherrypicking after Flynn's miss (on which he tried to dunk over a guy)

Devo was a no show last night. Getting breakaway blocked fron behind was a lazy play. He barely put a hand up as the OK guard torched the zone. Add to that his foul on a three pt shot that was never going in. Just a bad night.

Basket had a lid on it in first half, add to that every loose ball went to OK. How many times did they put it in as the shot clock expired. Was not SU's night, that said, sometimes Jimmy has to ditch the zone. Stubburn dispite all his success.

they ALL seemed lazy last nite, that what was so damn frustrating...soft passes....ughhhhh.....they could have won that game...i don't want to take ANYTHING away from Blake Griffin, he is a special player, but damn.....and no i think the zone was a necessary thing last nite, man to man would not have helped, at least i don't think

Devo was a no show last night. Getting breakaway blocked fron behind was a lazy play. He barely put a hand up as the OK guard torched the zone. Add to that his foul on a three pt shot that was never going in. Just a bad night.

Basket had a lid on it in first half, add to that every loose ball went to OK. How many times did they put it in as the shot clock expired. Was not SU's night, that said, sometimes Jimmy has to ditch the zone. Stubburn dispite all his success.

• 2 weeks later...
Flynn, Harris & Devo all declare for the draft. :censored::wub::wallbash:

Only consolation is that it appears, as of now, that none have signed with agents

http://www.syracuse.com/today/index.ssf/20...is_and_dev.html

Heard it on the radio. Harris isn't ready. I can't believe Harris or Devo would be very high picks (maybe I'm mistaken). Flynn needs to see what other Point Guards are coming out, and what the situation looks like, next year. There are a few terrific PGs that might enter the draft. If most of them decide to come out this year, he might be better off waiting. But, I have changed my position from earlier in the year on Flynn. If he wants to come out...he's ready.

Flynn, Harris & Devo all declare for the draft. :worthy::worthy::lol:

Only consolation is that it appears, as of now, that none have signed with agents

http://www.syracuse.com/today/index.ssf/20...is_and_dev.html

Obviously, it's the smart thing to do to see what NBA teams think about you, but Devo and Harris are insane to think they are going anywhere in the draft. Flynn is gonna be a lottery pick, which sucks becuase he is one of my favorite college palyers in a long time.

Personally, I'd really like to see what Harris could do on the football field. He has the body to be an insane DE/ TE. And Devo is a legend in his own mind.

Obviously, it's the smart thing to do to see what NBA teams think about you, but Devo and Harris are insane to think they are going anywhere in the draft. Flynn is gonna be a lottery pick, which sucks becuase he is one of my favorite college palyers in a long time.

Personally, I'd really like to see what Harris could do on the football field. He has the body to be an insane DE/ TE. And Devo is a legend in his own mind.

Dunno that Harris played any football at NFHS, but Starks, from the UB football team, was a terrific player on the NFHS basketball team (and, of course, the football team).

Dunno that Harris played any football at NFHS, but Starks, from the UB football team, was a terrific player on the NFHS basketball team (and, of course, the football team).

I don't think Harris did but he looks like a football player. Even if he had progressed more than as a basketball player (he's been a good role player but not really an elite player), he would struggle to make the NBA because he doesn't have a position. He's way too short to be a forward and doesn't shoot or handle the ball well enough to be a guard.

I know how tough it is to make the transition but he just looks like someone who could make the transition. And the talent that has come out of Niagara Falls lately is unbelievable. too bad it is filled with completely insane women. :worthy:

Inside info............

Syracuse men’s basketball players Eric Devendorf and Paul Harris were told they better move on with their careers because they were not needed back next year by Jim Boeheim. Syracuse has BETTER players that will replace them 2 next year. I doubt either of them will be drafted by any NBA teams.

Inside info............

Syracuse men’s basketball players Eric Devendorf and Paul Harris were told they better move on with their careers because they were not needed back next year by Jim Boeheim. Syracuse has BETTER players that will replace them 2 next year. I doubt either of them will be drafted by any NBA teams.

Cuse has an incoming/returning SG better than Devendorf? I like Rautins, but he's not at all good at creating his own shot, or taking the ball to the hole.

I read veiled references to some sort of "mutual agreement" between JB and Harrs/Devo, but it was rather vague.

I really don't think Eminem and Harris would be missed that much. I don't get the idea that Eminem is a better all-around player than Rautins because he's a better penetrator: Rautins turns the ball over less, defends better, and rebounds better.

Johnny come back - that's all I care about.

Boeheim seems like the kind of guy that will shy away from high expectations. I prefer Calhoun's "bring it on" attitude. It would be pretty cool to win the Big East reg. season outright imo. We haven't done that since freaking 1991.