Honestly, What to Do?

As many of you, I noticed a post by one of us bidding farewell to this fan base and its organization, the individual conveniently hit the eject button over a warm tropical island with a stocked tiki bar and loads of naked women otherwise known as the Tennessee Titans. In all honesty, I am having a hard time disagreeing with this decisive action. I mean, how much more can anybody take of this organization?

Frankly, there are better ideas on this website about personnel and coaching then what regularly streams out of One Bills Drive. We are going on nine years of no playoff appearances and the probability of this streak ending anytime soon is slim and none. I hear cries that Ralph is cheap, no he is not cheap, he is ignorant in terms of building winning football programs (milking fans is another story)! He just gave a coach that is completely void of creativity and leadership a three year, probably 10+ million, extension for accomplishing next to nothing, not too dissimilar from what he did with Donahoe. The definition of ignorance is making the same mistake over and over again, which seems to fit Ralph like a fine pair of OJ Simpson driving gloves. If he was cheap he would nulify the contract and settle in arbitration for an amount well inside the terms of that contract.

That said, what can this team do with its current roster? Blitz more with our lock-down corners and deep center field safeties; turn small, slow, powerless defensive ends into sack artists; send Ellison in off the edge; run counters and traps with fat un-athletic linemen; move defenses out of the box and safeties out deeper with guys like Hardy, Royal, and Parrish; Christ, I am reading desperate pleas for Schobel and Yabouty to return, doesn’t that say everything? From my survey of the situation we might as well being asking for a parting of Lake Erie; and a couple thousand of us are questioning the sanity of our friend that left for greener pastures? Come to think of it, he is the one that should be doing the questioning!

Like any other sport, one wins with talent and the people making decisions on talent haven’t done their job in One Bills Drive for quite some time now. Coaching is also very important in the NFL, which is somewhat confirmed when we consider what Moose McNaully did last year with this pathetic offensive line. Probably his greatest feat before riding off into retirement. It is simply amazing how teams in this league can go from putrid records one season to playoffs the next, yet the Bills continue to flounder in mediocrity for such extended periods of time.

I could not have put it better myself. This organization is totally happy with mediocrity as evidenced by the last 9 year performance and the signing of Jauron to a new contract. Unless this team starts to seriously try to win, it will wallow with average teams for eternity while wasting great young talents like Poz, Reed, Whiner, Edwards, etc. It makes me sick that we gave out huge contracts to players who are TOTALLY OVERRATED (see Schobel, Kelsey, Dockery, Walker). I'm afraid, my friend your post is right on. I hope that it changes, but you know what happens when you hope (the worst usually).....

Bye guys. No great loss.

It's good to see the bandwagon fans jumping off.

But honestly, people like you make me question the bills fan base. I was convinced that we were the most loyal in football and perhaps in all sports. I laughed when the poster on that Patriots* board said he was no longer a fan, thinking to myself "At least it will never come that in Buffalo", and yet you have people deserting a team with a 5-3 record. Pathetic.

All I have to say is you had better not jump back on the bandwagon if the Bills make the playoffs.

As many of you, I noticed a post by one of us bidding farewell to this fan base and its organization, the individual conveniently hit the eject button over a warm tropical island with a stocked tiki bar and loads of naked women otherwise known as the Tennessee Titans. In all honesty, I am having a hard time disagreeing with this decisive action. I mean, how much more can anybody take of this organization?

Frankly, there are better ideas on this website about personnel and coaching then what regularly streams out of One Bills Drive. We are going on nine years of no playoff appearances and the probability of this streak ending anytime soon is slim and none. I hear cries that Ralph is cheap, no he is not cheap, he is ignorant in terms of building winning football programs (milking fans is another story)! He just gave a coach that is completely void of creativity and leadership a three year, probably 10+ million, extension for accomplishing next to nothing, not too dissimilar from what he did with Donahoe. The definition of ignorance is making the same mistake over and over again, which seems to fit Ralph like a fine pair of OJ Simpson driving gloves. If he was cheap he would nulify the contract and settle in arbitration for an amount well inside the terms of that contract.

That said, what can this team do with its current roster? Blitz more with our lock-down corners and deep center field safeties; turn small, slow, powerless defensive ends into sack artists; send Ellison in off the edge; run counters and traps with fat un-athletic linemen; move defenses out of the box and safeties out deeper with guys like Hardy, Royal, and Parrish; Christ, I am reading desperate pleas for Schobel and Yabouty to return, doesn’t that say everything? From my survey of the situation we might as well being asking for a parting of Lake Erie; and a couple thousand of us are questioning the sanity of our friend that left for greener pastures? Come to think of it, he is the one that should be doing the questioning!

Like any other sport, one wins with talent and the people making decisions on talent haven’t done their job in One Bills Drive for quite some time now. Coaching is also very important in the NFL, which is somewhat confirmed when we consider what Moose McNaully did last year with this pathetic offensive line. Probably his greatest feat before riding off into retirement. It is simply amazing how teams in this league can go from putrid records one season to playoffs the next, yet the Bills continue to flounder in mediocrity for such extended periods of time.

Hey man, you're the one who spent time posting on Buffalo Bills message board. Seems to me you're still very much in the fold, or at least wanting to be! :rolleyes:

This place you describe is Shanga La - warm weather, stocked bar, beautiful naked woman and 8-0 sound good to me. I am on the bankwagon with a packet full of crumpled singles. Meanwhile, you denizens of TBD and zuba clad army of the north, enjoy your Cheese covered Waffle Fries, 24 Carot Gold, Ample Woman and .500 record.

If the guy who dresses as Elvis with the guitar identifies himself, I will quietly leave this website and have all priviledges voided. I have similar committments form Pass-the-Pipe and the Red Dragon.

Thank You

Dude... you told it like it is. I can't disagree with anything you pointed out.

This team has taken a step backwards in all three phases of the game. The defensive line is not that good, Poz is not as good as I expected, Ellison is worthless. The reserve LBs are not as good Hagood a Stamaos. Offensively they are slightly better than last year. And worse yet... aside from Hardy's one TD and a few good KO returns from McKelvin, we've gotten next to nothing from our first 4 draft picks.

Chalk one up in th L column next week,, This will be the 4th consecutive week the Bills have faced a 3-4 defense... which they've demonstrated to have real problems moving the the ball against with any consistency. Chargers an exception.

what this team needs is games against Cincy and the Lions. They've got one like that coming up against KC, but watch them blow that one.

I stated after the Cardinal game that the best we could hope for is 10-6. Well, I've changed that to 9-7... and if they lose to the Chiefs... no better than 7-9.

I really do not understand these posts. Being a fan of a sports team isn't a decision you make. It's something you grow up with, it's something you have passion for, it's in your !@#$in blood. And like many others have pointed out, if you are ready to give up, there is no way you were a fan in the first place. What makes the situation that much more ridiculous is that you find time in your day to waste time on a message board. If you're such a wishy-washy joke of a fan in the first place, go find something else to do in your free time for Christ's sake.

what this team needs is games against Cincy and the Lions. They've got one like that coming up against KC, but watch them blow that one.

I stated after the Cardinal game that the best we could hope for is 10-6. Well, I've changed that to 9-7... and if they lose to the Chiefs... no better than 7-9.

Jauron's proven as a HC that beating these teams is his secret. Beat up on perceived cupcakes and inflate the final record. It's been demonstrated this occurred in Chicago, and we witnessed it in Buffalo the first four games.

For once, I agree with P2P, and the long term future some trumpeted to be bright isn't quite that way. I don't hear the thanks Marv shouts or the DJ for COY anymore. We need to evaluate this team when the season is complete, not 6 games in.

At this point, the Bills are showing signs of a severe lack of coaching, motivation, and most importantly, talent.

First, as for the guy who left, he can go. That other post of his was very nasty, and probably goes way beyond football.

You touched on some facts that are sad but true. Our franchise is mired in past mstakes and we continue to make them.

It is sacrilege to bring this up, but who else was going to hire Marv Levy? And, who but Levy would have hired Jauron? DJ is 58 years old. One would think that this is late in life to suddenly turn into a winning coach, but to Ralph and Marv, he is a kid.

Better ideas on this board than at 1 Bills Drive? Of course. R.Rich has been complaining about the pass rush since I met him years ago. AKC talks of the lack of DTs, and Badolbilz has been telling us that our TEs suck since Pete Metz. Of course they are right, and it makes one really wonder why Bills management is unable to address these, and other issues.

Hate him as you will, but look at the direction Parcells went in his first draft. Did he trade away a first day pick and chase after defensive backs? Of course not, because Parcells is a football man, not a friendly scholar.

But again, being a Bills Fan isn't all about football. It is about good people, and not giving up. We will win it all some day, somehow. :huh:

Dude... you told it like it is. I can't disagree with anything you pointed out.

This team has taken a step backwards in all three phases of the game. The defensive line is not that good, Poz is not as good as I expected, Ellison is worthless. The reserve LBs are not as good Hagood a Stamaos. Offensively they are slightly better than last year. And worse yet... aside from Hardy's one TD and a few good KO returns from McKelvin, we've gotten next to nothing from our first 4 draft picks.

Chalk one up in th L column next week,, This will be the 4th consecutive week the Bills have faced a 3-4 defense... which they've demonstrated to have real problems moving the the ball against with any consistency. Chargers an exception.

I am note sure that playing inferior talent is the solution...

I really do not understand these posts. Being a fan of a sports team isn't a decision you make. It's something you grow up with, it's something you have passion for, it's in your !@#$in blood. And like many others have pointed out, if you are ready to give up, there is no way you were a fan in the first place. What makes the situation that much more ridiculous is that you find time in your day to waste time on a message board. If you're such a wishy-washy joke of a fan in the first place, go find something else to do in your free time for Christ's sake.

Evans, I can't disagree with what you are saying, but the level of frustration is off the charts. I spend afternoons watching these guys, money flying to games, money buying the NFL package, and not to mention emotional currency. I don't think anybody can argue, the problem with this organization, like any other, starts at the very top and when is this guy going to wake up?? If you think this organization is in the right direction then lets hear your case?

It is sacrilege to bring this up, but who else was going to hire Marv Levy? And, who but Levy would have hired Jauron? DJ is 58 years old. One would think that this is late in life to suddenly turn into a winning coach, but to Ralph and Marv, he is a kid.

Better ideas on this board than at 1 Bills Drive? Of course. R.Rich has been complaining about the pass rush since I met him years ago. AKC talks of the lack of DTs, and Badolbilz has been telling us that our TEs suck since Pete Metz. Of course they are right, and it makes one really wonder why Bills management is unable to address these, and other issues.

Teams with the best football minds in the front office more often than not produce the best teams on the field. We haven't had a great executive football mind since Polian left in 92. The remnants of his work remained competitive until 99, but since their departure, it's no coincidence the on-field Bills have suffered. Like him or hate him, Parcells knows what it takes to win. And he's doing it with less talent than Buffalo has along with a rookie HC.

To me, the Bills begin and end with Mr. Wilson. I believe Ralph still has immense control over this team and being directly involved with DJ's extension proves this. Unfortunately, he only makes a move when it's affecting business. After 2005, he needed something to get the fans excited again. He reached back for the old hand in Levy, and masterfully got people interested with that PR move. It didn't matter who Levy hired as HC, the memories of the late 80s and early 90s were back. Now we're seeing that PR moves don't necessarily translate into wins and it's actually having better football minds that win games. Less than 3 years later, we're left with the re-upped DJ who is showing what got him fired in Chicago 5 seasons ago. Combined with a quasi GM minus personnel experience, we're left wondering why those players with big contracts aren't winning. Maybe, just maybe, they're not the right ones.

The prospect of nine seasons without a playoff appearance in the salary cap era is dumbfounding. I love the Bills, but it's hard to get excited when confronted with inept coaching and lackluster effort each week.

First, as for the guy who left, he can go. That other post of his was very nasty, and probably goes way beyond football.

You touched on some facts that are sad but true. Our franchise is mired in past mstakes and we continue to make them.

Hate him as you will, but look at the direction Parcells went in his first draft. Did he trade away a first day pick and chase after defensive backs? Of course not, because Parcells is a football man, not a friendly scholar.

But again, being a Bills Fan isn't all about football. It is about good people, and not giving up. We will win it all some day, somehow. :huh:

Agreed Bill...

It certainly is frustrating seeing Teams build their Championships through the Lines while The Bills try to build a winning Team through their DB's...Then those same DB's get hurt and You're back to square one..I'm not saying The Bills have not tried to improve each Line...They have simply not done a great Job of it...The O-Line being the best example...The Bills Started 3 Players they brought in from other Organizations on the O-Line yesterday and they could not Run Block their way out of a paper bag...It was an absolutely embarrassing performance of Run Blocking at Home...It was humiliating to be honest...This O-Line is a big fat joke...They Play with no physicality at all...They are playing like little Girls at times...Rarely does a RB have any hole to speak of...There is no push...well except Our O-Line being pushed into Our backfield...

On Defense, The Run D was OK for a while, but failed when The Bills Needed it the most...Stroud, Johnson, Kyle Williams, John McCargo, Bryant, and Ellis all brought in during the Jauron/Levy era and Our D-Line STILL underachieves WAY too often...Plus we went out and spent crazy cash to resign our 2 DE's who give us almost no Pass rush at all...Can the Bills get ANY pressure without Blitzing? ANY?

It's a HUGE problem this Organization is facing...I hate to say it just like this but The Bills are 5-3 because they now have a QB who can win a Game or two...Almost on his own (but not quite)...Without Edwards this Team might be 0-8...He hides SO many problems on Offense...But He's no where near good enough to do it on His own...No where near...That has been proven out these last 2 weeks as Teams have shut down The Bills Running Game and forced TE to beat them...Meanwhile where the hell are we going with these interior Lines?...I'm thinking we're going nowhere fast...We'll see if these little girly-men can figure out how to take the skirts off and Play with some sort of urgency...I'm kinda doubting they can...But I've been wrong before...

The Bills are not a bad Team...Don't get Me wrong...They are a middle of the raod team right now...And that's not horrible...But as long as they continue to get this type of play out of their interior Lines they are going to continue to struggle...I think there is talent there...I just think they play like My little sister most of the time... :rolleyes:

That the O-line can't run block- the D can't get pressure on the QB with 4- that the receivers are pretty mediocre after Evans - and that DJ is just OK - those things have been known for a long long time- nothing new- Here's somethings new our 1st round pick does not look good either as a CB or a returner- there were a lot of highly ranked Offensive linemen when we took another DB, Stroud looks like the least of the Stroud, Rodgers, Jenkins moves, Stroud was suppose to make the DEs look better but we are going to need DEs to make Stroud look better, McCargo is an official bust I saw it in Official busts weekly.

Teams with the best football minds in the front office more often than not produce the best teams on the field. We haven't had a great executive football mind since Polian left in 92. The remnants of his work remained competitive until 99, but since their departure, it's no coincidence the on-field Bills have suffered. Like him or hate him, Parcells knows what it takes to win. And he's doing it with less talent than Buffalo has along with a rookie HC.

To me, the Bills begin and end with Mr. Wilson. I believe Ralph still has immense control over this team and being directly involved with DJ's extension proves this. Unfortunately, he only makes a move when it's affecting business. After 2005, he needed something to get the fans excited again. He reached back for the old hand in Levy, and masterfully got people interested with that PR move. It didn't matter who Levy hired as HC, the memories of the late 80s and early 90s were back. Now we're seeing that PR moves don't necessarily translate into wins and it's actually having better football minds that win games. Less than 3 years later, we're left with the re-upped DJ who is showing what got him fired in Chicago 5 seasons ago. Combined with a quasi GM minus personnel experience, we're left wondering why those players with big contracts aren't winning. Maybe, just maybe, they're not the right ones.

The prospect of nine seasons without a playoff appearance in the salary cap era is dumbfounding. I love the Bills, but it's hard to get excited when confronted with inept coaching and lackluster effort each week.

Well said