Whitner moves to FS, Simpson now 4th on Depth Chart??

Big Turk

You guys don't understand. The Bills would have signed Marlon McCree in the offseason if he hadn't chosen Denver over Buffalo. Marlon McCree is the starting SS for the Broncoes. Marlon's play put John Lynch on the bench and eventually to Free Agency.

The Bills want Donte Whitner at FS because it gets him away from being the run stopper. Donte is to much of a talent to waste at the SS position. Since Scott has shown something the Bills have made the move. Does anyone think it is coincidence that the #1 ranked passing attack in the NFL had a piss poor day with not much pass rush? I think it is because of Donte Whitner.

Ko Simpson isn't a bad player it's just that Donte is better. Since the Bills think they have found someone to play SS in place of Whitner they made the move. Ko cannot play SS due to his size.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the AP Article it says:

"As for the odd-man out, that would be Ko Simpson, the former starting free safety who has watched his playing time diminish this season and spent the past week nursing a hamstring injury. As it now stands, Simpson has not only lost the starting job but he's fallen to fourth on the depth chart behind George Wilson"

A couple of weeks back PFW Whispers had this.....

Ko Simpson won a heated training-camp battle with George Wilson for the right to be the Bills’ starting free safety, and thus far, he’s done little to convince the coaches that they made the correct decision. The problem is that Wilson is hardly a sound choice either, so Buffalo is almost forced to forge ahead with a safety they lack confidence in.

Thanks.

I will be shocked if Wilson is above Ko, for very long. But, all-in-all, I like the different ways they are looking to use the defensive backs. I expect, if Scott can deliver, that all of these guys will get their share of PT. Maybe, if this works out, when Youboty returns, Whitner can take the occasional snap off.

Hey, Dean. In, real life, do you normally, speak in, pauses? :ph34r:

I recall seeing that note regarding the FS job.

It comes down to a FS/SS combo of Whitner/Scott being better than a Simpson/Whitner pairing. Safety play is difficult to gauge by amateurs like most of us are, but this move doesn't sound like a short term fix for a premier TE as Gates is.

Wilson is a hard worker, and I believe a fan favorite. He along with Trent and Moorman routinely come to our corner of the tunnel side enzone for high-fives. I'm thinking he's more of a special teamer/depth guy. If Simpson is having a probably fending him, then going with Scott at SS and moving Whitner to FS is the best move.

Hey, Dean. In, real life, do you normally, speak in, pauses? :ph34r:

It's interesting, at least to me and a few others, that I do, indeed, talk very parenthetically (as it is sometimes called), and I tend to use disclaimers, as well. I don't, of course, always use disclaimers, preambles and qualifiers, but I, typically, do.

:ph34r:

You guys don't understand. The Bills would have signed Marlon McCree in the offseason if he hadn't chosen Denver over Buffalo. Marlon McCree is the starting SS for the Broncoes. Marlon's play put John Lynch on the bench and eventually to Free Agency.

The Bills want Donte Whitner at FS because it gets him away from being the run stopper. Donte is to much of a talent to waste at the SS position. Since Scott has shown something the Bills have made the move. Does anyone think it is coincidence that the #1 ranked passing attack in the NFL had a piss poor day with not much pass rush? I think it is because of Donte Whitner.

Ko Simpson isn't a bad player it's just that Donte is better. Since the Bills think they have found someone to play SS in place of Whitner they made the move. Ko cannot play SS due to his size.

what do u mean due to his size? hes big enough to play SS and certainly fast enough as well.

what do u mean due to his size? hes big enough to play SS and certainly fast enough as well.

Just an FYI, per the Bills Roster:

Ko Simpson Height: 6-1 Weight: 202 Age 24

Bryan Scott Height: 6-1 Weight: 219 Age 27

Donte Whitner Height: 5-10 Weight: 208 Age 23

George Wilson Height: 6-0 Weight: 212 Age: 27

Obviously weights change.

How about how young these guys are, though.

It's interesting, at least to me and a few others, that I do, indeed, talk very parenthetically (as it is sometimes called), and I tend to use disclaimers, as well. I don't, of course, always use disclaimers, preambles and qualifiers, but I, typically, do.

:ph34r:

You're not, related to Christopher, Walken, by any chance, are you?

You're not, related to Christopher, Walken, by any chance, are you?

Well. as I am Sicilian, I may be...

Edit: Not sure how that original sentence got there. Doing too many things at once, I guess

All of these changes intrigue me. I'm all for it.

My only question is, if last game was any indicator and Donte really is an exceptional Free Safety, like a game changing Free Safety, why wasn't this done quicker? I assume the answer is there was no capable SS until they saw Bryan Scott play the way he did against the Chargers.

There's 2 guys I can't seem to get familiar with on this team, Bryan Scott and Copeland Bryan. I've seen this Scott fellow make the occasional play but I don't know much about either players' background. Hopefully he pans out as our Strong Safety.

Whitner is going to be moving to free safety, while Scott is taking over the starting SS role...I have really liked Scott over the past year and a half---he always seems to make plays when he is in there...

Wilson is now considered the backup, while Simpson has dropped to 4th...injuries aside has Simpson's play left that much to be desired to have 2 players move ahead of him on the depth chart?? Very surprising he has fallen the way he has...

This is a great move.

In limited action, both this year and last, Scott has shown flashes of being a very good player. Moving Whitner over will take better advantage of his speed. I like :ph34r:

Whitner is going to be moving to free safety, while Scott is taking over the starting SS role...I have really liked Scott over the past year and a half---he always seems to make plays when he is in there...

Wilson is now considered the backup, while Simpson has dropped to 4th...injuries aside has Simpson's play left that much to be desired to have 2 players move ahead of him on the depth chart?? Very surprising he has fallen the way he has...

Let's not jump the gun here till we get an official explanation. Perhaps, this is temporary until he heals from whatever ails him. I get the feeling this move is to counter our next opponent. Miami has a TE they use alot in the passing game.

IIRC, Simpson hasn't done anything to merit a demotion but then again I don't what game film from all our games.

This isn't a time to panic, IMO. It's great that we are deep in the secondary tho. We need McGee and Youboty back ASAP tho.

Where is John Wendling in this conversation?

I think that this move will work as long as we're playing somewhat conventional, ground-oriented offenses. Teams are gonna get smart tho and start isolating slot receivers (Wes Welker) against Scott, and we might be required to switch it back.

Simpson apparently does not diagnose plays quickly enough. He's a far better athlete than Wilson, but Wilson must be smarter because the coaches seem to prefer him in there. The guy is an amazing story btw, still can't believe he made the transition from undrafted WR to quality role-playing safety...

Combine that with this, from today's Buffalo News:

"Asked about Simpson before the Arizona game, Bills secondary coach George Catavolos said, 'I think Ko is doing an adequate job. He could be in on more plays. He knows what he has to improve on. He always plays with very good effort. . . . He has to get into some more plays. I think he’s shown progression. He’s got excellent range when he plays half-field [in a two-deep zone] and middle one-third [in a three-deep zone]. . . . He’s got to smell out the plays better. He’s getting more physical. . . . He just has to keep working on it.'"

And it sounds more and more like this could be permanent, barring subpar play from Scott. However, as I've already said, I think this is a good move in terms of giving the opposing team different looks and playing to different strengths in a DB rotation. Hell, if it gets us more W's, do whatever you want!

I brought this up in a thread a couple days ago. See http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...&hl=simpson. It is an interesting development, whether it sticks or not. It could be a number of things, as some of you have mentioned: his injury situation, the injuries to LBs and our CBs which require bigger bodies, maximizing Donte's coverage skills, emergence of Scott or maybe he just isn't recovering from his injury well enough (both from last year and the hamstring this year). I've always liked Ko, thought he was a steal in the draft, and I've said before I thought he had a better rookie year than Donte. But, unlike us fans, coaches must separate themselves from emotional attachment to a certain player. Cavatolos' assessment is a little telling though.

Now about this AP quote: "As for the odd-man out, that would be Ko Simpson, the former starting free safety who has watched his playing time diminish this season and spent the past week nursing a hamstring injury. As it now stands, Simpson has not only lost the starting job but he's fallen to fourth on the depth chart behind George Wilson."

I wouldn't read too much in AP reporting. Remember, these are guys that rarely watch our games, and rely on scattered highlights, stats and not reliable depth charts to write their stories about particular teams. I've seen plenty of AP stories where the authors completely butcher their arguments with old or unreliable information that they received from the above listed sources, rather than actual analysis of games. If anything, we should rely on local sources that actually watch games. I'm sure everyone already knows this. But it is hard to believe Ko would have fallen below Wilson...too much talent....but sometimes depth charts put starters or better players to the bottom when they're hurt.

This could probably turn out real well for the bills. I remember a handful of plays last year where Scott in limited time came up with a big tackle, usually for loss. He was a pretty good starter his first couple of years in Atlanta, kinda like what seems a Ko Simpson story playing out, but for some reason they decided to get rid of him and he had to journeyman around the league. At the same time, this could really maximize Donte's skills-- this could help out our CBs while also increasing Donte's INT totals. We will see. Either way, I hope this really pisses off Ko (in a good way like Greer or Youboty this past offseason) and forces him to step up his game.

I fear for the lives of WRs that have to face someone like Whitner at FS when they go up for a pass.

As for Simpson, he did play a little CB at USC...wonder if when he heals up completely he might get some looks there given our depth lately

Combine that with this, from today's Buffalo News:

"Asked about Simpson before the Arizona game, Bills secondary coach George Catavolos said, 'I think Ko is doing an adequate job. He could be in on more plays. He knows what he has to improve on. He always plays with very good effort. . . . He has to get into some more plays. I think he’s shown progression. He’s got excellent range when he plays half-field [in a two-deep zone] and middle one-third [in a three-deep zone]. . . . He’s got to smell out the plays better. He’s getting more physical. . . . He just has to keep working on it.'"

And it sounds more and more like this could be permanent, barring subpar play from Scott. However, as I've already said, I think this is a good move in terms of giving the opposing team different looks and playing to different strengths in a DB rotation. Hell, if it gets us more W's, do whatever you want!

I love it when my boss calls my work "adequate."