Whitner moves to FS, Simpson now 4th on Depth Chart??

Big Turk

Whitner is going to be moving to free safety, while Scott is taking over the starting SS role...I have really liked Scott over the past year and a half---he always seems to make plays when he is in there...

Wilson is now considered the backup, while Simpson has dropped to 4th...injuries aside has Simpson's play left that much to be desired to have 2 players move ahead of him on the depth chart?? Very surprising he has fallen the way he has...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the changes were made during the game because they used Witner at nickel back a little too. I think they are starting to realize that we need to have Witner on the field in more of a playmaking role. The consequense of this is that Ko is not a SS so he must have to drop back in the depth chart...... nothing to back this up with jsut my thoughts

Whitner is going to be moving to free safety, while Scott is taking over the starting SS role...I have really liked Scott over the past year and a half---he always seems to make plays when he is in there...

Wilson is now considered the backup, while Simpson has dropped to 4th...injuries aside has Simpson's play left that much to be desired to have 2 players move ahead of him on the depth chart?? Very surprising he has fallen the way he has...

Um...link?

According to the Bills depth chart (which we know can be problematic), none of that is true.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/depth-chart-list.html

This have anything to do with the complete lack of depth at linebacker?

I'm asking, I don't know...could Scott at SS be intended as some sort of "swing" player, a Coy Wire SS/LB hybrid? Don't know much about him...so like I said, just asking.

the changes were made during the game because they used Witner at nickel back a little too. I think they are starting to realize that we need to have Witner on the field in more of a playmaking role. The consequense of this is that Ko is not a SS so he must have to drop back in the depth chart...... nothing to back this up with jsut my thoughts

The lineup against SD was the way it was because:

McGee was out

Youboty was out

Simpson was injured

Don't read too much into it. Two of their starting CBs (counting the nickel) were OUT. The starting FS was nowhere near 100%.

Now, they may have learned a few things, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott get a little PT, based on his efforts on Gates.

Um...link?

According to the Bills depth chart (which we know can be problematic), none of that is true.

I think this is his source: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...84-247e39ca5d92

The article is not definitive, but is certainly suggesting that Ko might be a backup for awhile.

This have anything to do with the complete lack of depth at linebacker?

I'm asking, I don't know...could Scott at SS be intended as some sort of "swing" player, a Coy Wire SS/LB hybrid? Don't know much about him...so like I said, just asking.

This seems like it would have to be a factor, putting more size on the SS, especially with the smallish Ellison playing LB there. I think they weren't totally satisfied with Ko as a starter at FS, saw that Whitner is both capable and amenable to being moved around, and felt that Scott could be an effective SS. If it works out, ie if Scott can be an effective starting SS, this could be great- it would give the Bills a lot of options in mixing and matching with those 4 (the fourth being Wilson).

Guest dog14787
The lineup against SD was the way it was because:

McGee was out

Youboty was out

Simpson was injured

Don't read too much into it. Two of their starting CBs (counting the nickel) were OUT. The starting FS was nowhere near 100%.

Now, they may have learned a few things, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott get a little PT, based on his efforts on Gates.

I agree, don't read to much into it.

I have to believe this move was made to maximize Whitner's skills in coverage, and put a bigger body in run support on the field. It's a win-win if Bryan Scott is not detrimental to the secondary, and I don't think he is.

Meanwhile, Buffalo is forced to go with Ellison playing the strong side LB at 230 pounds. He made a few plays on Sunday, but if a TE gets their hands on him, it's going to be bad for the Bills.

If Scott makes opposing offenses honest in the run game, it's almost a necessity Buffalo make this move. And it's telling about how Simpson has fallen. Either way, the team has to do what allows them to win, whether or not the guy playing is a draft pick, or in Scott's case, a street free agent.

This just in:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...84-247e39ca5d92

For the second straight week Donte Whitner was lining up at free safety on defense. Though last week it was deemed a strategic move to put Bryan Scott at strong safety to match up with Antonio Gates with Whitner in centerfield, there’s a growing feeling that it just might be a permanent lineup change.

Bills head coach Dick Jauron however, isn’t ready to go that far.

“I think a lot of it will depend on what we want to do in that week,” said Jauron when asked if Scott will remain at strong safety. “Really we feel like we have five good safeties. That’s why they’re on the roster. Bryan and John Wendling are big safeties by any standards. George (Wilson) we feel like we can play George any time and not miss anything and Ko (Simpson) has played very well up until his injury and he’s kind of working back. So we feel lucky that we have those five guys and they all can serve different roles for us.”

...Whitner, who also played in the slot in Buffalo’s nickel package last week with Ashton Youboty injured (foot), admitted he wouldn’t mind seeing things line up the same way again.

“I would like it to continue, I think it’s going to continue,” said Whitner. “Everything that we’ve done in practice shows that we still have some of those variations with me playing nickel and going back to free safety. We have a lot of things that we can do. Whatever coach wants me to do, whether it’s nickel or free I’ll do it.”

Um...link?

there are at least 2 links on the homepage of TBD, including one link from buffalobills.com:

AP Reports Whitner at FS

BuffaloBills.com reports Whitner at FS

there are at least 2 links on the homepage of TBD, including one link from buffalobills.com:

AP Reports Whitner at FS

BuffaloBills.com reports Whitner at FS

We see that, NOW. I supplied one, as did did BC Bills Fan.

This is interesting. I don't see your proposed depth chart moves confirmed anywhere, but Cris Brown seems to think Ko will not be starting. Where did you get Wilson as backup and Simpson as #4?

This is interesting. I don't see your proposed depth chart moves confirmed anywhere, but Cris Brown seems to think Ko will not be starting. Where did you get Wilson as backup and Simpson as #4?

It's mentioned in the AP article.

"As for the odd-man out, that would be Ko Simpson, the former starting free safety who has watched his playing time diminish this season and spent the past week nursing a hamstring injury. As it now stands, Simpson has not only lost the starting job but he's fallen to fourth on the depth chart behind George Wilson."

It's mentioned in the AP article.

"As for the odd-man out, that would be Ko Simpson, the former starting free safety who has watched his playing time diminish this season and spent the past week nursing a hamstring injury. As it now stands, Simpson has not only lost the starting job but he's fallen to fourth on the depth chart behind George Wilson."

Thanks.

I will be shocked if Wilson is above Ko, for very long. But, all-in-all, I like the different ways they are looking to use the defensive backs. I expect, if Scott can deliver, that all of these guys will get their share of PT. Maybe, if this works out, when Youboty returns, Whitner can take the occasional snap off.

Thanks.

I will be shocked if Wilson is above Ko, for very long. But, all-in-all, I like the different ways they are looking to use the defensive backs. I expect, if Scott can deliver, that all of these guys will get their share of PT. Maybe, if this works out, when Youboty returns, Whitner can take the occasional snap off.

Yeah, I think that the "demotion" is more injury or rust related than performance. If Scott can be effective, they can really get a good rotation going.

In the AP Article it says:

"As for the odd-man out, that would be Ko Simpson, the former starting free safety who has watched his playing time diminish this season and spent the past week nursing a hamstring injury. As it now stands, Simpson has not only lost the starting job but he's fallen to fourth on the depth chart behind George Wilson"

Yeah, I think that the "demotion" is more injury or rust related than performance. If Scott can be effective, they can really get a good rotation going.

Performance may play some part, but I agree. Simpson hasn't improved as much as I expected, so far this year. But, he is still a much better safety than Wilson (who I love for his effort and ability to catch the ball).

If this works, it could be really exciting, IMO. Of course, they know they can go back to what they had (when Youboty returns), if it doesn't pan out. But, I imagine this gives them a lot of flexibility if they have to make adjustments, during a game...something this team actually seems to do.

In the AP Article it says:

"As for the odd-man out, that would be Ko Simpson, the former starting free safety who has watched his playing time diminish this season and spent the past week nursing a hamstring injury. As it now stands, Simpson has not only lost the starting job but he's fallen to fourth on the depth chart behind George Wilson"

Thanks, matter...but you're a post or two behind.

This is all very interesting. Thanks for starting the thread, and sorry I doubted you. The link in the initial post is a really good thing, though.