Whitner moves to FS, Simpson now 4th on Depth Chart??

Big Turk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is John Wendling in this conversation?

I think that this move will work as long as we're playing somewhat conventional, ground-oriented offenses. Teams are gonna get smart tho and start isolating slot receivers (Wes Welker) against Scott, and we might be required to switch it back.

Simpson apparently does not diagnose plays quickly enough. He's a far better athlete than Wilson, but Wilson must be smarter because the coaches seem to prefer him in there. The guy is an amazing story btw, still can't believe he made the transition from undrafted WR to quality role-playing safety...

The beauty of having Whitner is he has the speed to stay with just about any WR in the NFL. I'm not the first guy to sing his praises, but seeing him in the slot tells me the coaching staff does not even worry with Whitner in coverage. I'm sure that's big reason why he was so highly coveted. Not many safeties in the league are capable of going man to man on someone.

Here, Whitner helps the defense in two ways:

1. He keeps a less experienced or not as talented corner off the field in nickel situations.

2. Allows guys like George Wilson and Bryan Scott to play back and minimize their chance to get beat over the top.

Why would the Bills want to move Whitner away from a position that utilizes his strength. I thought his skills were much better in run defense than pass defense? :thumbsup:

He is a great run stopper, so it isn't because he lacks that skill.

The lineup against SD was the way it was because:

McGee was out

Youboty was out

Simpson was injured

Don't read too much into it. Two of their starting CBs (counting the nickel) were OUT. The starting FS was nowhere near 100%.

Now, they may have learned a few things, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott get a little PT, based on his efforts on Gates.

Also they wanted a bigger body on Gates. Scott played against Gates before and was ideal to man up on him. There is an article on TBD about this.

Once again the Bills fan love to over estimate the worth of one of our borderline players. Simpson did okay on a bad squad, but he really isn't that good. He took plenty of bad lines to the ball especially in the run game, and was really more of a problem than an asset. Can he learn? Yes, he has shown some promise but missing a year , but that and missing some reads and bad angles will get you shown the bench.

Also they wanted a bigger body on Gates. Scott played against Gates before and was ideal to man up on him. There is an article on TBD about this.

Yes, of course. We've been discussing that in a number of threads. Can't believe I neglected to add it. But, if all the injured players were healthy, I'm not sure they would have gone with Scott. They may have simply gone with Whitner, as they wouldn't need him for the nickel role, and would have more confidence with McGee in there, too.

Once again the Bills fan love to over estimate the worth of one of our borderline players. Simpson did okay on a bad squad, but he really isn't that good. He took plenty of bad lines to the ball especially in the run game, and was really more of a problem than an asset. Can he learn? Yes, he has shown some promise but missing a year , but that and missing some reads and bad angles will get you shown the bench.

Really? I see mostly realistic assessments of Simpson, by the posters. He looked pretty good, as a rookie, and most were hoping he built on that, this season. He has skills, but his progress has been slower than most expected and hoped for. He has taken a few bad angles, there is no doubt about that. I still think he is a big step above Wilson, as a FS. It certainly would be a shock to see him go from starter to seeing no playing time at all, if he is healthy.

Sorry VA, but I just don't see much Simpson ball-washing on this board.

The lineup against SD was the way it was because:

McGee was out

Youboty was out

Simpson was injured

Don't read too much into it. Two of their starting CBs (counting the nickel) were OUT. The starting FS was nowhere near 100%.

Now, they may have learned a few things, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott get a little PT, based on his efforts on Gates.

Simpson played on all the special teams..If he was injured it wasnt enough to keep him off the field on special teams..

Simpson played on all the special teams..If he was injured it wasnt enough to keep him off the field on special teams..

He had a bad hammy, and couldn't practice until Thursday. Probably wasn't 100% and certainly wasn't around all week when they put the game plan in. Obviously there is more to it than Ko's injury, but it likely played a part.

He had a bad hammy, and couldn't practice until Thursday. Probably wasn't 100% and certainly wasn't around all week when they put the game plan in. Obviously there is more to it than Ko's injury, but it likely played a part.

I thought Ko wouldve shined a little mroe than he did..I have no problem letting Donte sit back and ball hawk and make some plays..

You know, this could just be another match-up situation. I suspect that the coaches are more worried about Ricky and Ronnie this week than they are of the Chad. Thus, they are more inclined to want the larger bodies crowding the line of scrimmage as opposed to the sleeker guys in the deep secondary. Just a thought.

You know, this could just be another match-up situation. I suspect that the coaches are more worried about Ricky and Ronnie this week than they are of the Chad. Thus, they are more inclined to want the larger bodies crowding the line of scrimmage as opposed to the sleeker guys in the deep secondary. Just a thought.

Dont forget the Dolfaggots' second and third leading receivers are TEs Anthany Fasano and David Martin...both 6'4 260 with 480 yds and 3 TDs between them. They BOTH have better stats than the ever so average Robert Royal. Sure, they don't have much speed but since they are a big part of their offensive gameplans, the Bills staff might be thinking that they want use Scott to neutralize Pennington's safety valves, forcing him to look elsewhere. We'll see how it turns out.

Donte has shown that he is the most skilled play maker they have and decided that Donte + Simpson is less than Donte + Scott. It is that simple. The Bills play left safety / right safety as well as close safety / back safety and that is where I think Scott plays better.

Whitner is going to be moving to free safety, while Scott is taking over the starting SS role...I have really liked Scott over the past year and a half---he always seems to make plays when he is in there...

Wilson is now considered the backup, while Simpson has dropped to 4th...injuries aside has Simpson's play left that much to be desired to have 2 players move ahead of him on the depth chart?? Very surprising he has fallen the way he has...

Ko will move back up, he's always came up and and impressed coaches after they said he wasn't as good. From his days at Rock Hill high, in R.H. South Carolina, to N.D. Fighting Irish, and in his rookie season..... :lol:

According the the Gamebook at nfl.com, Simpson started on defense. I don't know how many plays he was in on defense, because I wasn't paying close attention until partway through the game when I noticed Simpson wasn't out there. I noticed Simpson playing on the kickoff coverage unit, but don't recall seeing him out there on other units. (although he might have been)

I'm guessing that his injury at this point limits him in some specific types of movements that you need to play FS but not to play on ST coverage units, such as backpedaling.

As far as Wendling goes, the coaches are probably hoping he can eventually develop into a reliable backup SS.

In general, I really like this move, because the more versatile your safeties are, it gives you more ways to confuse the offense. For example, both Whitner and Scott are more effective blitzers than Simpson, because they're stronger making it easier to shed blockers.

It's interesting, at least to me and a few others, that I do, indeed, talk very parenthetically (as it is sometimes called), and I tend to use disclaimers, as well. I don't, of course, always use disclaimers, preambles and qualifiers, but I, typically, do.

:lol:

Don't let 'em get you down, Dean-o. For what it's worth, I get it, and your sentence structure almost matches your analysis. Damn fine of you.

"Isn't it a Pity" - George Harrison

Ko will move back up, he's always came up and and impressed coaches after they said he wasn't as good. From his days at Rock Hill high, in R.H. South Carolina, to N.D. Fighting Irish, and in his rookie season..... :lol:

?? Ko went to University of South Carolina, my man

Don't let 'em get you down, Dean-o. For what it's worth, I get it, and your sentence structure almost matches your analysis. Damn fine of you.

"Isn't it a Pity" - George Harrison

:lol: