Is it the OL or is it Marshawn?

Mr. T

The OL has been the target of what is wrong with the running game. However, have ya noticed that when Jackson runs he seems to almost always pick up good yards. He hits the holes "fast" and hard. Marshawn runs hard all the times but I'm not so sure he gets to the line as quick as Jackson. I'm not saying that Jackson should be starting, what I'm saying is Marshawn could help out the OL a little by being more decisive and quick to the holes. Flame away.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like our line generates no push whatsoever when run blocking. Both of our backs have to fight hard for every yard because the line doesn't help them much. I think Marshawn is a great back with the potential to be a top 2-3 back if the line learns how to run block.

Seems like our line generates no push whatsoever when run blocking. Both of our backs have to fight hard for every yard because the line doesn't help them much. I think Marshawn is a great back with the potential to be a top 2-3 back if the line learns how to run block.

their massive size identifies them as more pass block oriented. smaller lines like denver's are run-block oriented

oh so now our line is too big to run block? give me a break. all that money and they are suddenly too big to open holes. bull sh--.

the problemis they are very very AVERAGE, and therefore our RB posts average numbers. jackson has a hit a couple of big gainers as a change-of-pace back, but if the roles were reversed, we'd be reading the same posts wondering if lynch should be starting instead of freddy.

the o-line is AVERAGE. that's the problem. i am not saying they can't improve and i hope they do, but they do not push people off the line well enough for us to post big rushing numbers. they should be lining up to suck edwards off after each one of these wins.

hes just not very fast. he runs kind of bow legged.

I think that has a lot to do with it. He is a good back and runs hard, but I don't think will ever be "elite" or whatever you want to call it.

I think Marshawn has been way to patient this year....last year he was critized for not letting the play develop and just hitting the designed play hard and fast(kinda what Jackson has done).....

He needs to find a good balance of patience and take whatever you can get quickly......

This is a great question. Thanks for starting the thread.

If two running backs have virtually the same average yards per carry, I blame the O-Line. Jackson's average and Marshawn's are becoming more the same. We have had lots of "reasons" for excusing the O-Line (Peters' late arrival, Fowler's injury, Brad Butler's injury, etc.), but it's more and more their fault.

That said, I will bet that, as Edwards has more 83% passing games, teams won't cheat up a safety or put 8 in the box, and the running backs will get their 100 yard games.

The OL has been the target of what is wrong with the running game. However, have ya noticed that when Jackson runs he seems to almost always pick up good yards. He hits the holes "fast" and hard. Marshawn runs hard all the times but I'm not so sure he gets to the line as quick as Jackson. I'm not saying that Jackson should be starting, what I'm saying is Marshawn could help out the OL a little by being more decisive and quick to the holes. Flame away.

Mr T,

The stats tell only part of the story - YES - The Bills are not putting up huge rushing numbers. But the Bills are winning. Why? yes, Trent is the reason but the league - so far - has decided to put 7-8 "in the box" quite a lot, forcing the Bills to either run into this wall (which they ARE trying anyway) or to throw the ball - which they are doing VERY successfully. The fact that Trent is now allowed to audiblize at the line of scrimmage, he is taking advantage of the defenses he has faced. I can see a time in the the near future where team can simply not put so many guys in the box and expect to stop Trent. When that happens, the Bills run game will reap the benefits of this change.

BTE - I have not checked this but i THINK the Bills average rush per attempt has gone up late in the games they have played as opposing defenses adjust to having Trent rip them apart early on.

It's really hard for me to understand the amount of crap Lynch takes on this board. The guy gives phenomenal effort and always seems to be able to pick up the yardage when it's needed. He's a clutch performer and I'm glad he's the starting RB. Jackson is a good change up back and I'm glad to have him too.

I agree richNjoisy that as the passing game developes more the run game will not look as bad but when it becomes late season weather and all you can do is run the ball we will need a better C and RG to be a team to be reckoned with year in and year out. Let's hope we get that done this offseason...........

oh so now our line is too big to run block? give me a break. all that money and they are suddenly too big to open holes. bull sh--.

the problemis they are very very AVERAGE, and therefore our RB posts average numbers. jackson has a hit a couple of big gainers as a change-of-pace back, but if the roles were reversed, we'd be reading the same posts wondering if lynch should be starting instead of freddy.

the o-line is AVERAGE. that's the problem. i am not saying they can't improve and i hope they do, but they do not push people off the line well enough for us to post big rushing numbers. they should be lining up to suck edwards off after each one of these wins.

average is being kind

It's pretty obvious that he's one of those backs who are really hard to bring down when they've got a full head of steam...getting to that point is the problem, and I think 80-90% of the fault ain't his.

Seems like every time he breaks into the second level running up the middle, the play gets called back for holding. What does that tell you?

the problemis they are very very AVERAGE, and therefore our RB posts average numbers. big jackson has a hit a couple of gainers as a change-of-pace back, but if the roles were reversed, we'd be reading the same posts wondering if lynch should be starting instead of freddy.

Jackson had the long run in one game this year 22 yards against St. Louis

Lynch had the long run in every other game;

21 against Seattle Jackson had a 6 yard run

11 against Jacksonville Jackson had a 7 yard run

14 against Oakland Jackson had a 10 yard run

22 against Arizona Jackson had a 5 yard run

19 against San Siego Jackson had a 7 yard run

The running game is still a work in progress and you can point out at least twice in every game where the back hit the wrong hole or didn't hit the hole fast enough.