[please fix subject]Fred Jackson

NewEra

What is his contract situation? Is he a FA after this season?

While he may not be the best player on our offense, I believe he may be the most important (other than Trent). He does it all, and he does it on the same level as a starter. If he was on another team, he would be a stud, battling Marshawn for the pro bowl. I hope the front office sees how important he is to this offense and rewards him with a long term contract. We NEED him. Gotta love that block on Lynchs run.

Fred Jackson will be a restricted free agent in the off season. I'm sure the Bills will give him a big enough qualifying offer to scare off most teams.

I hope that is the case. Freddie isn't likely to be looked at as the #1 workhorse back by many (any?) teams. But, the guy is really valuable and comes to play. I can see a team (or two) making it very expensive for the Bills to keep FJ, if they really want to.

How does a guy like that fall through the cracks of the NFL to NFL Europa...etc

I guess same deal as Kurt Warner...

Anyway, the guy is money...I hope th Bills give him some!

How do teams draft Blair Thomas and a lot of other first round busts? It's a very inexact science. Also he may have needed more time to develop than any team was willing to invest in him.

How does a guy like that fall through the cracks of the NFL to NFL Europa...etc

I guess same deal as Kurt Warner...

Anyway, the guy is money...I hope th Bills give him some!

yep...rare that those guys slip thru--but they do occasionally

Good to hear that he'll be an RFA....good chance we'll be able to keep him. And if some other team gets a stiffy over him we'll pick up a nice draft pick or two instead. My preference would be to hang on to him.

Good to hear that he'll be an RFA....good chance we'll be able to keep him. And if some other team gets a stiffy over him we'll pick up a nice draft pick or two instead. My preference would be to hang on to him.

I want to see him remain a Bill too but Detroit has to be licking their chops over this guy.

Having a guy that is good for 35-50 all purpose yards every game that is a GREAT blocker, both downfield and in the backfield(not to mention a good ST player), is a true asset. Good things happen for the Bills when Fred Jackson is on the field, simple as that.

It may sound rediculous to some of you but I don't think we have more than 3 or 4 wins without Fred. He came up big w/ over 100 all purpose yards against the jags, He made a couple big plays in St. Louis includind a 22 yard td, and he played great again today throwing a key block you don't see in the stats and had 3 catches. He's a huge part of this team.

We might get a compensatory pick for simply losing a player but since he was an undrafted free agent I'm not sure that we get any compensation if we refuse the right to match his offer.

What is his contract situation? Is he a FA after this season?

While he may not be the best player on our offense, I believe he may be the most important (other than Trent). He does it all, and he does it on the same level as a starter. If he was on another team, he would be a stud, battling Marshawn for the pro bowl. I hope the front office sees how important he is to this offense and rewards him with a long term contract. We NEED him. Gotta love that block on Lynchs run.

I wholeheartedly agree! Don't forget George Wilson. Not only is he the ST captain but he's a valuable safety we CAN'T afford to lose. It would piss me off to no end to let him walk when we actually extended Coy Wire. :angry:

Lynch might be bigger, stronger and more talented. He also gives is all. But Fred Jackson for whatever reason hits the holes cleaner & gains more yards. I don't know why. Maybe he just fits the blocking scheme better. Regardless I'm glad the staff used him more yesterday.

C

I say lock Jackson up before the end of the season. He may be a RFA, but some team, likely Detroit or San Fran, will end up offering him a huge contract to grab him. Any casual fan watching the Bills game has seen how good he is and how much he contributes to our wins. Now think of scouts who are paid to watch NFL games. He is not a secret and will not be once FA begins. A team WILL offer him tons of money; a Turner-like contact, starter-type money.

While the Bills will likely think he is worth it, but we will not be able to give him starter-type money. It is not in the best interest of the team to be giving 2 RBs starter-type contracts. We have other positions we need to strengthen; another DT, a DE, a center, an OLB. Not to mention Peters is still going to want more money. We will just not be able to match another team's offer if we want to remain a balanced team. And the teams that go to SBs are the ones that are balanced and are not spending a ton of money on one position (excluding QB). Just imagine the predicament we would be in if we matched Nate Clement's offer. We would likely not have Mitchell or Stroud playing for us right now.

We might get a compensatory pick for simply losing a player but since he was an undrafted free agent I'm not sure that we get any compensation if we refuse the right to match his offer.

It depends which tender we offer him. If we offer him the highest tender we receive higher pick/picks. If we just offer him a low-tender we might not get any compensation. I'm sure we will offer at least a mid level tender or else sign him to a multi year deal