Joe the Plumber...

Lurker

And when your tub get's clogged with those $100 bills, does your gated community have it's own plumber or do you get a day pass for a non-union scab to snake your drains?

But I thought LA is a plumber. Isn't LA a plumber?

What do you mean, he's not really a plumber? Now I'm disillusioned. !@#$ it, I'm voting for Bob Barr.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to miss my weekly Fill The Bathtub With Cash and Roll Around In It ritual. I do love the feel of century notes caressing my skin.

Come over to my house I've got plenty to spare. See I've been in this rich game a lot longer than you so I've discovered all the loopholes. For instance did you know that champagne and caviar can be written off but burritos and beans can't? It's true..see the reason is that burritos and beans add to global warming and that's just baaaaaad m'kay so they've taken away our burrito and bean deduction.

Come over to my house I've got plenty to spare. See I've been in this rich game a lot longer than you so I've discovered all the loopholes. For instance did you know that champagne and caviar can be written off but burritos and beans can't? It's true..see the reason is that burritos and beans add to global warming and that's just baaaaaad m'kay so they've taken away our burrito and bean deduction.

But champagne's carbonated. Contains CO2. Ergo, it's a dangerous pollutant. You can deduct the cost of the champagne...but then you have to buy carbon credits to offset the purchase, which aren't deductible. To truly take advantage of the champagne deduction, you have to buy "green" champagne, that replaces the bubbles with sunshine or corn-based ethanol.

And for God's sake, if you buy carbonated champagne, don't spill it. Spills of dangerous pollutants require a hazmat response...

But champagne's carbonated. Contains CO2. Ergo, it's a dangerous pollutant. You can deduct the cost of the champagne...but then you have to buy carbon credits to offset the purchase, which aren't deductible. To truly take advantage of the champagne deduction, you have to buy "green" champagne, that replaces the bubbles with sunshine or corn-based ethanol.

And for God's sake, if you buy carbonated champagne, don't spill it. Spills of dangerous pollutants require a hazmat response...

I'll be drinking my '61 Lafite tonight then. Thanks for the heads up.

And when your tub get's clogged with those $100 bills, does your gated community have it's own plumber or do you get a day pass for a non-union scab to snake your drains?

Gee, lucky for Joe I detest groups like unions that hold a gun to people's head to give them money lest they call you demeaning names, so I hire a plumber who can fix my problem without my checking to ensure he surrenders cash and values to some group whose rules he may or may not agree with.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand that kind of independent thinking.

Back to bashing the plumber. You know, that middle-income guy that your party keeps saying isn't getting any respect?

But I thought LA is a plumber. Isn't LA a plumber?

What do you mean, he's not really a plumber? Now I'm disillusioned. !@#$ it, I'm voting for Bob Barr.

LA is a plumber. Remember those stories of him laying fabio's pipe or something? And i am guessing that laying the pipe of stars pays pretty well, which is how his business expanded.

I think Wendy's offers carbon credits as a side option on their value menu.

Gee, lucky for Joe I detest groups like unions that hold a gun to people's head to give them money lest they call you demeaning names, so I hire a plumber who can fix my problem without my checking to ensure he surrenders cash and values to some group whose rules he may or may not agree with.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand that kind of independent thinking.

Back to bashing the plumber. You know, that middle-income guy that your party keeps saying isn't getting any respect?

Union dues provide for pensions, education and training, and legal representation. Using non-union unlicensed tradesmen doesn't guarantee that any work performed by that person is up to city/local codes. The people in the union that you and Joe are crapping on have fought long and hard to get a decent, fair wage for their tradesmen. Joe hasn't even put in the time to adequately learn his trade, and without that education, training and a freaking license he'll never be able to own a plumbing business. In fact, he's stealing from the real Joe Plumbers who worked their asses off to properly learn their trade and get licensed. So, which one of us is actually on the side of the American worker?

Union dues provide for pensions, education and training, and legal representation. Using non-union unlicensed tradesmen doesn't guarantee that any work performed by that person is up to city/local codes. The people in the union that you and Joe are crapping on have fought long and hard to get a decent, fair wage for their tradesmen. Joe hasn't even put in the time to adequately learn his trade, and without that education, training and a freaking license he'll never be able to own a plumbing business. In fact, he's stealing from the real Joe Plumbers who worked their asses off to properly learn their trade and get licensed. So, which one of us is actually on the side of the American worker?

So let me get this right, by not hiring someone who belongs to a particular group, I'm crapping on that group.

And because my plumber doesn't belong to that group, the little wax ring he put in under my toilet may have been installed in a shoddy manner? And when he replaces the little s-shaped pipe under my sink, it may be not up to city and local codes? Does the city have some special way to install that pipe that my guy isn't aware of simply because he doesn't pay money to your group? Is there some special Langstrom 7" gangly wrench you only get when you join this club, thereby ensuring that the work is not shoddy?

And precisely what is he stealing from the union guys? A job? So, you're saying you don't want there to be competition? You just want your single group to do all the work at one fixed price that no one is allowed to compete with?

And just to be sure I'm clear on this...you want me to pay more to the union guy so I can fund ALL the plumbers' pension and education programs when the guy I'm hiring is doing that for himself out of his own pocket? So instead of crapping on this special group, you want me to crap on the guy whose been doing all of my plumbing for the past eight years?

Wow. That's a pretty interesting line of thinking there, Johnny.

The take away from this has nothing to do with who Joe the Plumber actually is. The thing to note here is how Obama responded to this guy. Obama said he wants to spread other people's wealth around.

During the debate, McCain said he never talked to or met this Joe in question.

Well then he is REALLY a dumbass for making Joe (or Samuel, actually) the centerpoint of his debate.

I'd love to be surrounded by people like me if I ever need help. I spend 50-60 hours a week helping people. Teaching them how to help themselves. How to protect themselves against catastrophe. How to prepare for their futures. If more people followed my adivice we would not need as much government handouts. Sure I get paid for what I do, very well as a matter of fact. And where did I criticize people for sharing their good fortunes? I'm criticizing people who are saying I don't do enough and that I need to do more. I have a problem with that.

Oh and I was just busting on you regarding the freudian slip thing. I know you're crazy but you're not insane......at least I think you're not anyway. :thumbsup:

No, I'm not. I'd never wish that hell on anyone, even Wacka or Eryn or AD or VAB...to name a few of my favorite wingnuts. Maybe, just maybe if they weren't Bills fans, it would be different. But I don't think so.

So let me get this right, by not hiring someone who belongs to a particular group, I'm crapping on that group.

And because my plumber doesn't belong to that group, the little wax ring he put in under my toilet may have been installed in a shoddy manner? And when he replaces the little s-shaped pipe under my sink, it may be not up to city and local codes? Does the city have some special way to install that pipe that my guy isn't aware of simply because he doesn't pay money to your group? Is there some special Langstrom 7" gangly wrench you only get when you join this club, thereby ensuring that the work is not shoddy?

And precisely what is he stealing from the union guys? A job? So, you're saying you don't want there to be competition? You just want your single group to do all the work at one fixed price that no one is allowed to compete with?

And just to be sure I'm clear on this...you want me to pay more to the union guy so I can fund ALL the plumbers' pension and education programs when the guy I'm hiring is doing that for himself out of his own pocket? So instead of crapping on this special group, you want me to crap on the guy whose been doing all of my plumbing for the past eight years?

Does that mean that every plumbing $$ I've spent at Home Depot over the last 10 yrs is against the law?

He's not a licensed plumber, nor is he registered as a plumber in Ohio.

Toledo Blade

Mr. Wurzelbacher said he works under Al Newell’s license, but according to Ohio building regulations, he must maintain his own license to do plumbing work.

He is also not registered to operate as a plumber in Ohio, which means he’s not a plumber.

So, you are damn right he's stealing from actual licensed, trained plumbers. No license, no registration and no training.

And...

He lied about being in the union local (via NYT).

“All contractors are licensed, and he does not have a license, either as a contractor or a plumber,” the union official said, citing a search of government records. “I can’t find that he’s ever even applied for any kind of apprenticeship, and he has never belonged to local 189 in Columbus, which is what he claims on his Facebook page.”