Gonzo pissed about no trade

BeastMode54

Fox Sports' Jay Glazier reports Tony Gonzalez is "disappointed" and "pissed" that he wasn't traded to a contender.

Gonzalez knows he's near the end of his career, and the Chiefs won't be competitive for at least a couple of seasons. Once again, Chiefs GM King Carl Peterson held out for a ransom when a reasonable offer of a third-rounder for a 32-year-old tight end was on the table. The future Hall of Famer's talents will continue to be wasted in Kansas City's ongoing rebuilding project.

Apparently they were holding steady on wanting a second and a fifth round pick. Would any of you posters here given them that? I think I might have

Fox Sports' Jay Glazier reports Tony Gonzalez is "disappointed" and "pissed" that he wasn't traded to a contender.

Gonzalez knows he's near the end of his career, and the Chiefs won't be competitive for at least a couple of seasons. Once again, Chiefs GM King Carl Peterson held out for a ransom when a reasonable offer of a third-rounder for a 32-year-old tight end was on the table. The future Hall of Famer's talents will continue to be wasted in Kansas City's ongoing rebuilding project.

Apparently they were holding steady on wanting a second and a fifth round pick. Would any of you posters here given them that? I think I might have

The most I might have budged towards would have been a 2nd and 5th for TG and KC's 3rd

Unreal. So much for the NFLN report that Gonzo said no to Buffalo. They really screwed him in KC.

I also loved how TG flatly admitted that no one in their right mind would give up a second for him--something that Peterson didn't seem to grasp.

In the end, the blame lies not with our FO or TG, but with Peterson.

Not at his age, I would have gone a 3rd and McCargo. With a deep draft class coming, I'm not gonna miss an opportunity at a Posluszny/starting caliber player in round two........

Add in the potential for a long term relationship versus just several years worth at best.

Link to story, sounds like TG was good to go.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8677684/

Wow! I take back what I said about Gonzo Last Night (when the reports were that He was not willing to come to Buffalo)...It sounds like He would have gone to just about any Team that had a better chance of winning...Peterson is a dumb ass though...Furthermore, though Peterson is certainly not obligated to trade Gonzalez, it sounds lke He pretty much gave Tony his word and went back on it...I've heard these 2 were REAL close before this...That's why I'm a bit surprised...Peterson could have got a 3rd and saved some Cap room along the way while doing Gonzalez a favor...

Oh well... :lol:

Not at his age, I would have gone a 3rd and McCargo. With a deep draft class coming, I'm not gonna miss an opportunity at a Posluszny/starting caliber player in round two........

Makes you wonder if Russ offered up McCargo to sweeten the deal, and TG and/or Peterson still said no to the deal - either way, I'm OK with the Bills trying, and I'm also OK with seeing how Fine develops and/or what happens in the 2009 draft...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

18 and 1 baby!!!!! :lol:

who says that they'd have wanted McCargo?

I take back what I said about Gonzo as well...assuming he would have played for the Bills if traded to Buffalo. So now Gonzo's PO'd, Edwards is PO'd, and the fans are probably PO'd. Might be time to update the ol' resume, Carl.

I take back what I said about Gonzo as well...assuming he would have played for the Bills if traded to Buffalo. So now Gonzo's PO'd, Edwards is PO'd, and the fans are probably PO'd. Might be time to update the ol' resume, Carl.

According to this article, Gonzalez didn't want to play for the Bills, but would have played for the Packers. May he rot in KC.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=806267

So was neither side willing to compromise? There's definitely some negotiating room between a third and a 2d + 5th. IMO it would have been worth offering a 3d + 5th or even a 2d alone.

Oh well.....water under the bridge, but it really would have been nice to get such a huge upgrade at an important position during a season with this much promise.

I feel weird saying this because Jay Glazer is a tool, but I enjoyed that article.

It is a business, but a man is only as good as his word. If Peterson told him he'll be traded for a 3rd, then he should have accepted one of the two offers of a 3rd he got. I think he owed it to a franchise guy like Tony to shoot him straight. Peterson stood firm on a 2nd, fine, whatever. But they got reasonable offers for a high-paid 32-year old TE. Peterson did Tony an injustice by not giving him the chance to play for a winner. Who knows what the offseason will bring, though.

I was all for bringing in Tony, and according to Bills Daily, they were one of the two teams to offer a 3rd. However, I wasn't willing to go over a 3rd. Maybe the Bills could have offered a 3rd that could escalate into a 2nd if we made the Super Bowl. I would have been cool with that.

The thing that gets me is that Tony won't be around anymore when the Chiefs get competitive again. So why not make him happy and trade him, while gaining a 3rd that you could use or package to trade, and help build your team. Not sure what Peterson was thinking. Expecting a similar off as the Shockey trade was ignorant because Shockey is much younger. Besides, the Saints over-paid for him.

Oh well, time to move on. The Chargers await. Go Bills!

Unreal. So much for the NFLN report that Gonzo said no to Buffalo. They really screwed him in KC.

I also loved how TG flatly admitted that no one in their right mind would give up a second for him--something that Peterson didn't seem to grasp.

In the end, the blame lies not with our FO or TG, but with Peterson.

Yeah...4 years ago the guy was worth a first....2 yrs ago a 2nd..... last yr a 3rd.........and maybe this yr a 3rd or 4th.